Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

jhoijhoi's review & discussion service

Creator: jhoijhoi June 29, 2011 5:44pm
xIPainIx
<Member>
xIPainIx's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 14, 2011 4:29pm | Report
Summoner Level:30
Post Count (at time of request):100
Spell & Grammar check completed: YES
Guide For (champion):Orianna
Why I'd like this to be Reviewed: I want opinions on what i can improve and a review from a very good player.
What I'd like you to focus on: What things i could add or what i should change to improve the guide.
Guide Link: http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/build/orianna-glados-solo-queue-goddess-113430
VKZ95
<Member>
VKZ95's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 14, 2011 10:29pm | Report
Summoner Level: 30
Spell & Grammar check completed: Yes
Guide For (champion): Mordekaiser
Why I'd like this to be Reviewed: I want to improve my guide
What I'd like you to focus on: Anything I can add or change to make my guide better
Guide Link: Mordekaiser

This guide has been reviewed by you before but I have changed it a lot since the last time you saw it

Mordekaiser the metallic nightmare RIFT, thank you JEFFY40HANDS for this awesome signature
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 14, 2011 11:25pm | Report

!!! University > Reviewing !!!

>>> I will review 3 Guides Per Day <<<

ATTENTION: Due to a huge influx of requests, I have now implemented some requirements. This is so I don't end up reviewing a guide who's author doesn't care, or reviewing a guide that is really bad, or reviewing a guide that has not clicked on the link above. If you want me to spend over half an hour reading your guide and writing a reply, you can very well return the favour!

REQUIREMENTS:
- Author must have +100 Posts
- Guide must have been run through a spell and grammar check
- Author must be over Summoner Level 25
- Author must comment on my Ashe guide with their opinion.

If you are LUCKY, your guide will be reviewed by other members, such as: Searz, da_Neo, Rudmed, Bloofyre, Bryun, and Nighthawk. They drop in from time to time to help with my workload. <3

* I will be completely honest in my opinion
* I will not downvote or upvote until I have received a response from my review, and I see you have dropped your opinion of my Ashe guide in the comment section
* I will review your request as soon as physically and mentally possible

* At the completion of my Review, I will post my verdict of your guide here, along with my review (verdicts are featured in the below post)

You must use this format below for submitting a guide for review, otherwise I'll ignore your request. People who just drop their links here will be completely ignored.

Summoner Level:
Post Count (at time of request):
Spell & Grammar check completed: YES/NO
Guide For (champion):
Why I'd like this to be Reviewed:
What I'd like you to focus on:
Guide Link:

What do I expect in return? Read/vote on my >> Complete & Comprehensive Compiled Catalogue of Ashe Knowledge <<, +rep me, and a simple thank you would be lovely ^^

OTHER RULES/NOTES:
- Please only submit one guide per request.
- Please do not request a review on a champion who has not been released. I would also prefer to read only guides published on MobaFire.
- If you are rude to me in your response to my review, I will consider not featuring you in the below post.
- If I read your guide. And you have not read the links I have supplied in this post. I will literally asplode. And you will be charged with my death.

Common Things I Repeat In Most Of My Reviews

• ONE BUILD. Show me one build, the one you use 90% of the time, in your cheat sheet. NO NEED, EVER, to display more than one cheat sheet. All alternative items can be explained in your Situational/Alternative Items section.
  • Good Hands IS ****ING BETTER THAN PERSEVERANCE. Jesus Christ.
  • Colour is good. Too much colour is bad. Find the correct balance.
  • Paragraphical space. Walls of text = bad. Sparse text = bad. Find the correct balance.

Nighthawk has opened his own Review Thread Here. Go ahead and check it out ^^

Reviewable Guides
Xiron wrote:

Post Count (at time of request): 233
Guide For (champion): Wukong
Why I'd like this to be Reviewed: I wanna get my Guide more know AND improve it.
What I'd like you to focus on: Everything. Just read it.
Guide Link

Summoner |Level : 26
Spell & Grammar check completed: Yes, I think so
Guide for : Skarner
why i'd like this to be reviewed: The opinion of a veteran/experienced person , to be sure that my guide is good enough to compete with others.
what i'd like you to focus on: My writing style and i also want a review on how effective the guide is.
guide link: http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/build/jungling-skarner-for-men-112315

Barman5000 wrote:

Spell & Grammar check:Yes
Guide For:Skarner
Why I'd like this to be Reviewed:I need some new and fresh ideas to make my guide stand out. Also I like constructive criticism.
What I'd like you to focus on:Anything you feel you think will improve my guide.
Guide Link:http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/build/the-in-depth-comprehensive-guide-to-skarner-113124

Palthios wrote:

Post Count (at time of request): 18
Guide For (champion): Garen
Why I'd like this to be Reviewed: Looking for an expert opinion. I don't want to make the guide too bloated but I'm stumped as to possible improvements.
What I'd like you to focus on: The guide. Ive posted more then enough proof that the build works so Im not asking for help on that.
Guide Link: http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/build/garen-spin-to-crit-updated-8-13-11-99504

xIPainIx wrote:

Post Count (at time of request):100
Guide For (champion):Orianna
Why I'd like this to be Reviewed: I want opinions on what i can improve and a review from a very good player.
What I'd like you to focus on: What things i could add or what i should change to improve the guide.
Guide Link: http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/build/orianna-glados-solo-queue-goddess-113430

VKZ95 wrote:

Spell & Grammar check completed: Yes
Guide For (champion): Mordekaiser
Why I'd like this to be Reviewed: I want to improve my guide
What I'd like you to focus on: Anything I can add or change to make my guide better
Guide Link: Mordekaiser

This guide has been reviewed by you before but I have changed it a lot since the last time you saw it

I have been busy with assignments, and I have a math exam next week that I have to study for, but I'll try to get some of these done over the next couple of days. Thanks for your patience.
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by thenamelessbard ♡
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 15, 2011 12:26am | Report
Rudmed's General Tanking Guide
Verdict: A nice introductory lesson to being a tank. Edit: A revised, more serious edition, but still needs a bit more work. Edit: This guide is a fantastic resource for new tank players. The commandments are rules that every player should read. The guide shows an insight to the tanking gameplay that can only come from experience.
Possible Improvements: Needs to work on grammar and what sort of tone the guide should convey (more authoritarian would be good), some images would be beneficial. More champion examples - Galio, Jarvan etc would be great. Edit: There still aren't any images, formatting is a bit of an issue, other examples of tanks would be nice, but not necessary. A jungling section is almost required due to the current US meta of tanks in the jungle. The author also still needs to work on his spelling :P Edit: The guide has completely improved since the last time I saw it. It is a lovely read. Edit: The guide now almost has aesthetics down pat, the author now needs to work on adding more content to the guide, more knowledge, more information. Walls of text aren't good, but I feel as if the guide could have more depth to it. Do a little bit of research, wrack your brain for things you could add. Bring the guide to the forums, ask people what they think of tanking, what is tanking, have a common misconceptions section. I know Jeffy and Jebus both have extensive threads/guides about what a tank is - quoting them would add a whole lot of good information into your guide.

Constructive Criticism:

1) I would suggest Team Two Builds for your champions with Jungle Items/skill sequence/runes :D

1.5) Another champion to fill out the team would be nice. A jungle tank like Warwick or Jarvan, perhaps.

2) A map of a general jungling route would be great.

3) With regards to your in-depth champion explorations, I would suggest having a look at this Tristana guide Skill Section and trying to use columns like they do, so there isn't so much wasted space in your guide.

4) I would also suggest trying to get in contact with L1LShadow and asking him if you could feature some of the aspects of his archived guide in your guide. I rec'd his guide and he archived it, and I believe the information in it can transfer to your guide and give your guide just the bit more oomph it needs.

jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 15, 2011 2:37am | Report
VoiD's Brand Guide
Verdict: This guide is a long and thorough read of Brand gameplay and the correct situational items and summoner spells.
Possible Improvements: The author could improve his guide a lot. At the moment I believe has has over-formatted his guide - there are too many subheadings and the columns don't mesh well with each other due to that. I also think his masteries are a tad off, and he could utilise the BBCoding more often in his guide, especially the embedding masteries/items/runes code, which I detail in my guide about making a guide.

Constructive Criticism:

1) Your runes. Are incredible. Are you sure you're receiving the right stats through them? Have a quick look at Searz's rune guide/ask his opinion and see if your runes fit properly (I know that Quint of Swiftness is pretty bad compared to an extra Quint of Fortitude).

2) It's a personal opinion thing, but I find leveling Conflagration first is better because it's a targeted spell and it's cooldow is reduced, whereas you're only increasing the damage of Pillar of Flame.

3) Good Hands > Perseverance (this also shows me you have not read my first post properly, which annoys me)

4) Your guide really needs some colour. Especially the Quick Reference Sheet, make it attractive.

5) Comments like this, "I have also noticed that Brand guides on mobafire aren't that top notch, so I'm here to make a difference" aren't necessary.

6) Again (and I say this a lot), no offense to Searz, but sometimes his column set-up just doesn't look right. To pull it off you need to have the same information in each column and row for it to work. Also having it every section - this looks extremely messy due to the different column widths you force the reader to look at.

tldr; Searz's format can only be used sparingly, or well. Like this Jarvan guide and this Xin guide. They are amongst the very very very few who have made Searz's template work well.

7) Your subheadings ("These items are the items etc etc") should have enter spaces after them, so they don't touch. Columns do this, so you should have an extra enter space before and after:

[enter]
[enter]
[columns]saoduhaosudhaosudhasd[/columns]
[enter]
[enter]

8) Before game stuff before in-game stuff.

jhoijhoi wrote:
It is very easy to structure your guide in a way that will maximise the potential of the information you are trying to convey.

The structure that works best is one that starts the guide with all the aspects that can be selected before the game, and then the aspects that occur in the game.

This is the structure I use:
Introduction
Pros / Cons
Masteries
Runes
Viable Summoner Spells + Less Viable Summoner Spells
Ability Explanation + Ability Sequence
Core Items
Items - Damage
Items - Survivability
Gameplay
Summary
Frequently Asked Questions
Change Log

9) Center videos, images, and relevant headings. What I don't understand is that you have centred stuff throughout your guide but some stuff isn't centred, like you didn't care enough to make your guide neater.

10) Why does your video have no sound during the battles? And why do you keep it at 3x the speed when you should have it at normal speed to see what's going on?

11) Your "Brand vs Mid" section has a video that you have not embedded. Was this intentional?

12) Your summary isn't very useful, lol. Normally in a summary you restate previous arguments and possibly introduce a new idea to end with.

♡ sig by Jovy ♡
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 15, 2011 2:52am | Report
ShadowNet's Mordekaiser Guide
Verdict: A well-written and amusing Mordekaiser guide. Edit: A very aesthetically pleasing and extremely well presented guide that covers almost everything about Mordekaiser you could possibly want to know. However, the author does not have a Skill Explanation section.
Possible Improvements: The author's attempt at videos is admirable, but they need to be fine-tuned. I think the lack of spell vampirism is a bad idea. I found nothing else wrong with this guide, and it was a good, enlightening read :) Edit: Love the reworking you have done, every section looks fantastic (besides the tips and tricks section). The only other thing I could suggest is having a look at the top Mordekaiser guides and considering what they have in their guides that you don't. What could you include to make your guide even more fantastic?

Constructive Criticism:

1) One day, you'll learn just like me, that sometimes it's just better to conform. Yes, Swiftness might be great, (YES, ****ING PHILO STONE ON ASHE IS PRACTICALLY ESSENTIAL BEFORE LEVEL 20, MY ****ING GOD I'M NEVER PLAYING ASHE AS A SMURF AGAIN SHE HAS NO MANA EVER MY GOD) but you have to show the rest of the LoL gaming world what they want to see, HP Quints or whatever it is Searz suggested.

2) I really like your new Masteries section. Looks fantastic!

3) With your Summoner Spell section, try doing something like LameoGamer did with their Skill Section. (same advice for your Skill Sequence section)

4) Your Tips and Tricks section is at odds with the rest of your guide. Currently it is the least aesthetically pleasing section, and a lot of it can be sectioned into a "Skills Explanation" section (or into your Skill Sequence section). See my own Skills Explanation section or this Nocturne guide which did the same thing.

jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 15, 2011 3:20am | Report
Nickname's Master Yi Guide
Verdict: A very in-depth Master Yi guide that covers anything and everything you could possibly want to know about the best Back-doorer in the game.
Possible Improvements: The author shows great initiative by already have a section for Dominion, and I approve of this ambition whole-heartedly. The only downfall of his guide is the English language barrier, as a lot of his sentences seem off, and are only incorrect through silly spelling errors and weird syntax mistakes. The author needs to read over his guide out loud (or make someone read it out loud to him) and see where the mistakes are. Or, write it in German (?) and Google Translate it for his guide. This guide is really good though!

Constructive Criticism:

1) Cleanse is a great summoner spell, but it is not often seen at low elos, so while it's a great initiative to have it displayed as a main spell, I'd suggest something else, Flash, Ghost - but it's your call, really.

2) Marks of Alacrity, I can accept, not sure about your Glyphs of Alacrity though.

3) I realise the pros don't get Meditate until that level, but I'd really suggest getting at least one level after the jungle phase, so many level 7 or 8 for just in case moments or when you need to top off your health.

4) You have 7 items in your purchase order, was that intentional?

5) Center all videos and images.

6) English not your main language? I have picked up on a lot of grammar and spelling mistakes. I can see you have tried to smooth over a lot of rough edges, but you probably will need someone to go over it for you.

7) You can use the new embedding system, which is detailed in my Guide about Making a Guide.

8) In between your columns, you have to add another column for added space. Have a look at my guide about Making a guide. I'm not sure why Searz hasn't edited his template to reflect this, as I have to tell almost every person who has used his template to do this.

9) Your tips and tricks section could be moved into your explanation of abilities section like in my Ashe guide, or this Nocturne guide.

♡ sig by me ♡
NicknameMy
<Editor>
NicknameMy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 15, 2011 5:58am | Report
1) In my gameplay video, Cleanse let me destroy Fiddlesticks. So yeah, Cleanse is viable...

2) As i said, personal preference, I have also made optional runes, with MR/lvl, which are also totally viable. I onlye get AS-Glyphs, to be the fastest in the jungle.

3) Meditate is only good, if you have to use it. Well, at the mid-game, where ganks, etc... happens, Meditate only hurts you, because you need to be fast. Meditate let you no longer move. And the heal on lowlvl is ridicioulus bad...

You could also make the same question to Saint^^.

4) As i written, the last item replaces Wriggle's Lantern lategame.

5) Fixed

6) Y, not my main language. Well, i think, I and you can understand it... Google Translate is even harder to understand.

7) I have pictures instead of that, i think, they look better. Also at the item's, there are the codes^^. And double masteries, etc.. look ****.

8) Fixed

9) Fixed

Thank you for that review.
He is gonna kill you!!!
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 15, 2011 6:17am | Report
jhoijhoi wrote:

Have a look at my guide about Making a guide. I'm not sure why Searz hasn't edited his template to reflect this, as I have to tell almost every person who has used his template to do this.

You obviously haven't looked >:[
Google has a job title called "Head of Black Community Engagement"..
I don't know whether to cry or laugh.. or both.
Siveo
<Member>
Siveo's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 15, 2011 2:44pm | Report
Post Count (at time of request): 115 with this one
Spell & Grammar check completed: I did it but English is not my foreign language so ...
Guide For (champion): Shen
Why I'd like this to be Reviewed: First guide I've made, looking for some comments on how I play with him!
What I'd like you to focus on: Uhm, everything?
My Shen Build

I know I already posted it here and Rudmed reviewed it but I would die (Not literally) to get a review from jhoijhoi!

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide