Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Ask a Diamond [Week 3: Top lane]

Creator: Vynertje April 23, 2014 2:06am

This thread is locked

PLEASE NOTE: This thread has been locked by the moderators. You cannot reply to it.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Darealone
<Member>
Darealone's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 23, 2014 12:58pm | Report
ShortyHUN wrote:

Was that really a nerf? His playstyle changed a little bit, but i don't feel like he's weaker o_O

I will forever complain about his OPness viable-ness getting nerfed.

I saw a Quinn top once. She got pooped on...but thoughts on her? Saw Zionspartan on stream once play her to counter Tryndamere as well.
I main...the entire top lane.
I miss: Tank Rengar top, AD Nidalee, Mash Keyboard Ryze...the OPs
xIchi
<Member>
xIchi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 23, 2014 1:40pm | Report

when to help the rest of the team and when to split push? i always feel more inclined to just push top lane versus join in with the team until the first towers are down.

Didn't find and answer for this, so I will try now.

Since I am not really a top laner I can't tell you much about top-laners and their splitpush.

Something about splitpushing in general tho:
The point of splitpushing is to create pressure on the map. You can usually always splitpush and force the enemy to react.
This can backfire tho, cause they will a) back off to stop you, b)kill your team 5v4 or c)kill your team 4v5, send 1 of them back to stop you and take more objectives than you with the splitpushing.

Therefore, splitpushing as a really team reliant strategy. You cannot force it onto your teammates, they will flame and lose focus.

So back to your question of when to splitpush:
Following the above stated, splitpushing is best, if the rest of your team is a)not grouped b)has pressure on different parts of the map than the one you are going to pressure.
b) is by far the best possibility. Since this means your team is also splitpushing, thus generating pressure on different spots, which forces the enemy team to react accordingly. If your team plays it out well, then you or the other splitpushers will drag attention while the other part of your team can get objectives.

In soloQ, that would mean to actually communicate with your team.
For example you are top Tryndamre, so you tell your Sivir and Lee Sin(jungle) to push bot, while your support Sona and your midlane Fizz push mid together.
If the warding is correct, then you can go ahead and see which one of those 3 partys gets more attention and push on the other lanes accordingly.

I guess I didn't really answer the 'when to push as a top laner'-question, but in general this is something to keep in mind if you want to splitpush
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 23, 2014 2:44pm | Report
^ To add to this (perhaps a little closer to the original question):

You should split-push
when no single person on the enemy team can fight you.
when you have Teleport or another (semi-)global tp available.
when you can take towers faster than the 5 enemy players can take objectives of greater value.
when your top lane opponent is a better team fighter than you.

You should not split-push
when you have no Teleport or it's on cooldown.
when you can't duel the enemy that's sent to stop you.
when your team can't help but get engaged on.
when you are a strong team fighter ( Malphite) and want to force objectives.
when the few seconds it takes you to tp in will lose you the fight.
Thanks to The_Nameless_Bard for the sig!
Bioalchemist
<Editor>
Bioalchemist's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 23, 2014 3:11pm | Report
thanks u 2 :)

Hogopogo
<Altruistic Artist>
Hogopogo's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 23, 2014 4:27pm | Report
Hogopogo wrote:

How good is Gragas top, and what skill would you max on him?

^ and
What do you do when you have lost top? If I go back to lane I just keep dying. If I leave then the enemy pushes all day to my inhib or something.
Darealone
<Member>
Darealone's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 23, 2014 6:15pm | Report
I main...the entire top lane.
I miss: Tank Rengar top, AD Nidalee, Mash Keyboard Ryze...the OPs
tehAsian
<Veteran>
tehAsian's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 23, 2014 6:30pm | Report
Vynertje wrote:

@GMD I'm not a top main but:
Renekton you just can't outtrade. Best shot would be to get some armor early on and run Teleport and try to beat him after 6 since he doesn't spike as hard as J4/Darius do.

Shyvana you can easily outtrade with short trades because she 100% relies on DPS with her W. Even though she has no mana, she has low health sustain so if you stick with short trades and don't blow all your mana on trades, you'll come out on top.

This is kind of wrong.

You cannot outtrade a Rene with fury, but you CAN outtrade when he does not. When he's 50%+ fury you want to try to bait his empowered abilities and then fighting afterwards.

Also some Shyvs max E (I think?) so you have to be careful against that.

Hogopogo wrote:
What do you do when you have lost top? If I go back to lane I just keep dying. If I leave then the enemy pushes all day to my inhib or something.

You leave lane and roam. Let him take outer turret so it's safer/easier for you to farm and more dangerous for him to farm. Optimally, you want to take Drag when you do this. If he keeps diving you tell your team and ask them to stick around when he does.
LaCorpse's Signature Cafe

Thanks to Keondre, JhoiJhoi, Xiron, and Arcana3 for the Sigs~!
SkidmarkD
<Member>
SkidmarkD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 24, 2014 2:06am | Report
tehAsian wrote:

Also some Shyvs max E (I think?) so you have to be careful against that.

Noticed someone doing this in one of the LCS games. (rather hard to see what they are maxing tbh)
Tried it.
It's a lot of fun.
Great to snatch minions when ur opponent is a bully and has you semi-zoned. Great when he repeatedly tries to body-block you from cs'ing. (ie stand in front if minion so u can't click it)
Great to poke ur opponent.

Is Voli still viable top?
Remember playing him a lot when first learning the game, but fell off as time went on.

Mordekaiser viable top or better suited mid?
For some reason he's irritatingly hard to take down, so wonder if he might actually stand a chance up top.
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 24, 2014 2:33am | Report
@TehAsian: They only max E in hard matchups AFAIK. Spoke to a D2 shyvana main and he says he only puts a few points in it before 6 to farm more safely.
Blian
<Member>
Blian's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 24, 2014 1:57pm | Report
Hi,

sorry for not using 'codes' but I am on my phone. So personally I'm more of a jungler or even a support than a top laner but it has just recently turned out in Silver I can help more as a top laner. Actually I pick Rumble against anybody and I feel very comfortable with it and getting pretty good scores however I still want to improve my skills especially if it comes trading. Obviusly I do not want to rush anything as Rumble is pretty squishy early (i would even say early-mid) game. Normally I only farm with my E (and ofc Q but that is pretty random), but that means like 5-6 times less minions than my opponent. I don't feel it as a big disadvantage but later on in Gold or in even higher divisions i should be focusing more on that I guess.

Any suggestions for a Rumble player? (apart from not using the broken Super Galaxy skin..)

ty,
Blian
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide