Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

[Read] Hyper's clean-up project

Creator: hypershatter May 25, 2011 10:49pm
1 2 3 4 5 6
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Jebus McAzn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 29, 2011 7:18pm | Report

No. I'm saying it's annoying. I'd imagine it would be particularly if you came up with an idea and it got a lot of downvotes and two weeks later some other random person came out with the same thing (or something very nearly the same) and somehow got a higher rating. I've never had this happen personally, but I wouldn't be shocked to find out that it had.

Nothing we can do about that - it's more luck than anything else.

Writing a guide is like ELO hell - you may occasionally get unlucky with trolls who are out to destroy you or people who just don't know what they're doing, but if you really deserve a high rating, you'll get there.
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 30, 2011 2:38pm | Report
I like how this thread has been derailed ^^

I like all the suggestions so far about archiving outdated guides. It's painful to see someone ask in the comments, "Where's Innervating Locket in the item shop?"

I looked at the top Gangplank guide and the user has since made another guide to deal with Gangplank not denying, but has left up his old guide just so he can refer people to his new guide. I don't know if that's the right thing to do. The guide that is highly rated has no information on gameplay or anything else - it's only there to advertise for another guide. I think that's cheating.

The only thing I can say is that the whole "sending a PM if a month has passed and no updates have been made" idea is flawed. All someone has to do is log on to their account, write a sentence and then leave. They could just go, "asdfsdf" in their "updates" chapter. That's not updating.

And with regards to my Ashe guide, right... Ashe hasn't been changed for a very very very long time. I'm sure there are other champions out there who are in the same boat. That means authors may genuinely have nothing new to say for a long time until something does change that's relevant to that champion. (or if they actively seek opinions from the community the way I did with my guide to help improve it)

I liked Jebus' idea about mods and admins posts being highlighted/clearly showing their votes. I think it'd be nice if it was like the forums on LeagueofLegends.com. If an admin/mod has commented, a little logo of some sort can be displayed (perhaps another column like the Recommended column), and the user can click on the logo and be taken to the first admin/mod post.

Final Suggestion (I promise): I think mods/admins should be able to flag a guide for archive, and it should go to the mod/admin forums. Once in the forum topic "Flagged for Archiving", the mods/admin can vote on whether it should be archived enough.

From what I've heard/read, many of you would like to archive the Morgana guide, and personally I can't stand the Sona one.

Good luck with this issue :)
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by Janitsu ♡
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 30, 2011 2:42pm | Report
Wait. Did I just totally fail and this has already been implemented? o.O
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by me ♡
wRAthoFVuLK
<Altruistic Artist>
wRAthoFVuLK's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 30, 2011 4:16pm | Report
This has been already discussed in this thread, and the PM thing would be only if your champion or an item in your guide was affected by a patch somehow.

Thanks to TRUeLM, Plastictree, Scrax, Xiaowiriamu, foggy12, JahGFX, jhoijhoi, msrobinson, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, MissMaw, and me :) for the sigs!
Zeprido
<Ancient Member>
Zeprido's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 30, 2011 6:15pm | Report
jhoijhoi wrote:

The only thing I can say is that the whole "sending a PM if a month has passed and no updates have been made" idea is flawed. All someone has to do is log on to their account, write a sentence and then leave. They could just go, "asdfsdf" in their "updates" chapter. That's not updating.

This has been already discussed in this thread, and the PM thing would be only if your champion or an item in your guide was affected by a patch somehow.

Right, there are two solutions I can think of, have two lists, one updated, one not updated, or have a single list, but add a patch compatibility "sort function" to see patches that are most up to date. If guide writers want their guide in the newer section, they must update it to match the new patch, only if it effected an item (runes too?) or champion they had in the guide. If actual people were required to check these guides for compatibility I'd be willing to do it of course =)
Zeprido is currently:Online
If I've helped you at all in any way, or you really like my post click that +Rep button =)
You can always call me Zep for short =D
Feel free to private message me with questions/concerns or if you just want to chat =)
wRAthoFVuLK
<Altruistic Artist>
wRAthoFVuLK's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 31, 2011 12:55am | Report
Zeprido
<OCD Guide Patch Update Checker>

Thanks to TRUeLM, Plastictree, Scrax, Xiaowiriamu, foggy12, JahGFX, jhoijhoi, msrobinson, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, MissMaw, and me :) for the sigs!
hypershatter
<Member>
hypershatter's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 1, 2011 10:51am | Report
thread completely derailed, i cant even post my reviews anymore. starting new thread.
Zeprido
<Ancient Member>
Zeprido's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 1, 2011 6:49pm | Report
I wouldn't say it derailed, just might not have gone the way you wanted it to necessarily, I think some great idea's have sprung up in this thread.
Zeprido is currently:Online
If I've helped you at all in any way, or you really like my post click that +Rep button =)
You can always call me Zep for short =D
Feel free to private message me with questions/concerns or if you just want to chat =)
Adonikam
<Veteran>
Adonikam's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 5, 2011 1:32am | Report
wtb better Jarvan builds
Australians, the best gamers in the world combined with the worst ping.
Jet
<Member>
Jet's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 5, 2011 1:42pm | Report
wtb better aussies
Jet has been banned for trolling and blatant racism.
1 2 3 4 5 6

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide