Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Introducing MFN: Prime & Commendation System!

Creator: Mowen February 23, 2016 12:50pm
1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Vengenator
<Fabulous>
Vengenator's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 28, 2016 5:42pm | Report
Joxuu wrote:

I don't think you have noticed a single commendated guide on the site which brings me to my point - it's not really a effective way of promoting a guide as you only get a icon next to your guide. Most of the traffic for guides come from google searches like "Amumu guide" or simply from the "top rated" list in Mobafire guide search.

Pretty sure people who have put effort in their guides will still get most of the views.

There hasn't been a single commended guide because it's overpriced af
Spare a few Rep+ for the poor ( つ◕◡◕)つ
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 28, 2016 10:51pm | Report
My Making a Guide Guide was commended by Mowen :D
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by me ♡
Re4XN
<Member>
Re4XN's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 29, 2016 1:30am | Report
Vengenator wrote:

There hasn't been a single commended guide because it's overpriced af

Aren't commendations free?
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 29, 2016 5:47am | Report
lolno
utopus
<Veteran>
utopus's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 29, 2016 3:00pm | Report
utopus wrote:
The fact that people are spending their own money to support the website is a statement in it of itself

PsiGuard wrote:
Could you expand on this point a bit, particularly the italicized part? Are you saying that the Prime subscription is enough to ask and commendations should be given out for free or for much cheaper or something? Sorry if I missed an earlier comment explaining this part (I checked the Prime forums and your comment didn't seem related).

Commendations should be sold for MUCH lower. I think that the unit price of a commendation is too expensive now. Something getting commended doesn't tell much about what was commended, nothing except the absolute best content will end up getting commended.

For example, if a new user wrote a spectacular guide (e.g. alphaproxiii) with the current commendation system, there would be a 0% chance I would commend the guide, because there are about 10 things other things that I could immediately name off the top of my head that would deserve a commendation more than alphaproxii's guides (to name a few - guide to making guides, hax's tier list, vynnie's support ama, faces2names, foxy's tables guides). I'm sure some of the other members share the same sentiment.

What I foresee with commendations is that the very best of the best threads and guides will get commended, and all other guides will be greatly shadowed, with maybe like 1 commendations on some guides. Commendations in such small volume will add little intrinsic value to the actual content.

What I think you should instead do is greatly devalue commendations. Have commendations be available for 1$ per unit, and have 2 commendations give a user one month of free MF: Prime. Doing this will make it less burdensome for people to commend a guide, and will also make it more common for users to commend things.

I would be more compelled to read a post/guide if it has been commended 8 times (with commendations at 1$ per) than I would if it has been commended twice (with two 4$ commendations)
If I helped you out, be sure to throw me a +Rep!
-

My Soraka Guide | My Review Service

Thanks for the sig, MissMaw!
Mowen
<Retired Admin>
Mowen's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 29, 2016 10:35pm | Report
XeresAce wrote:
Spoiler: Click to view

Haha, sorry if I come off that way to you. I'm only trying to be as clear as possible and show people what I see as the good side. I think it's good to be professional, when talking about community feedback, that's all. :)

I miss you guys too, wish there was more time in the day to post in Off Topic etc. I don't mind giving longer answers, just most of the time I try to be shorter cuz people are like "TL;DR" :D

jhoijhoi wrote:

Practically the entire staff was involved at some point or another. Psiguard and Wayne were there for the community perspective, and I like to think that they're actual MOBAFire users haha.

We are definitely going to look into ways to make it easier to find Prime members / Commended content. While we do want to recognize Prime members / commended content, we don't want it to feel like you have to be Prime / commended to get noticed on the site, so we will have to find a good balance.

Joxuu wrote:

Thanks Joxuu! :D I'm glad you seem to be getting the vibe we are going for at least. It was meant to be a surprise, but there seems to have been a fair amount of confusion about how the features worked and the intention so that didn't help it come across as a pleasant surprise. :P I do wish we had done better to make it more clear, then I think it wouldn't have been as startling.

fix'd

jhoijhoi wrote:

Great minds think alike :D (also this is updated now)

Vengenator wrote:

Psiguard and Joxuu have already answered this pretty well, but I'd like to answer it a bit more.

This is definitely NOT the goal here. All that is changed when a guide is commended is flair for the guide listing / guide page. It is not moved on the list or its score altered. This is very much meant to be a fun way to support MOBAFire and give content creators a super "thank you" by giving their stuff some swag and gifting them a month of Prime.

I more see the Stream stuff as a way to let your readers know that your stream exists. I mean most people aren't going to check for that if they're looking up a guide, but if they see it they might decide to tune in or subscribe to watch later.

jhoijhoi wrote:

Actually that's what we're doing. Prime's not going anywhere, and if people don't think it's currently worth it that's fine. We've basically given you what you've asked for: a chance for Veterans to test Prime, give feedback, and improve it as a community. As Commendations go out or people become Prime members, more people will be able to test and give feedback than just Veterans.

I don't think it's a bad thing to say that we don't consider Prime done and done and are going to put it on a shelf. I think it's nice that we have a starting point, but the road is open before us. Now is your chance to give the feedback that you're saying you want to give (and you are, and that's great).

jhoijhoi wrote:

A video would certainly be cool but I'm not sure if any of the staff actually have the expertise to make it look exciting / cool. :D I would certainly be interested in hearing what particular bits you find confusing in the explanations and see if I can clarify them. Perhaps some gifs would do the job if we can't do a full blown video?

Very good point about the gold border confusion, will look into clearing that up.

utopus wrote:

Good to know who you're upset at :D (jk) I pretty much touch on this with my response to jhoi above. We see this as the Vets opportunity to give feedback and test, just not completely limited to Vets. I admit we could have made the launch message more clear though.

Thanks so much for taking the time to give feedback and suggestions utopus, we really appreciate it, and we actually have already implemented your suggestion to see more comments per forum thread :) just need to write up some change notes (along with the non-prime updates that went out)

- - -

Alright that's all I have time to respond to for now, since Patch has quite the feedback to tackle. :D I have actually already read everything before now / jotted down notes, but I still wanted to take the time to respond to you guys.

Also @ the general "commendations are too expensive", it was a little hard to price these since they give a month of Prime with them. We also want them to be special. They shouldn't be flying left and right, but they also shouldn't be super duper rare. So basically, there is a hard to strike balance and we will keep looking into it. :)
Thanks to Minho for my sig!
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 1, 2016 1:19pm | Report
Mowen wrote:
Practically the entire staff was involved at some point or another. Psiguard and Wayne were there for the community perspective, and I like to think that they're actual MOBAFire users haha.

Of course admin are part of MobaFire. But they see things differently from regular users. There were probably quite a few points that Joev and Wayne rose about the system that caused it to change. But here you see that two people in admin roles does not an entire community make.

Edited: Just to be clear, I may seem ungrateful, but in fact I am just passionate. And I love the fact that MobaFire is being looked at - to see what can be improved or how the community can be rewarded or how it can gain some extra revenue from dedicated users in order to pay the MobaFire staff.

I just wish other things had been dealt with instead. A new flashy banner is great. But the newer Fire sites are so much more advanced in graphics and design. A wikibase at MobaFire is needed. Blogs need to be highlighted. New guides need exposure. Scouting needs to die or be re-calibrated.

I think the time, effort and money spent on Prime/Commendations would have been better spent on functionality issues, like making a responsive website for tablets/phones, instead.
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by me ♡
1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide