Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Mid-Season Magic

Creator: PsiGuard April 19, 2016 3:01pm
30 posts - page 1 of 3
1 2 3
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 19, 2016 3:01pm | Report
Mid-Season Magic

Another round of major gameplay changes are upon us, and this time it's the mage class receiving the biggest changes to both ability power items and reworks for several immobile mages. There are also some exciting new dragon changes (along with new models)! Let's get to it.

Source

Magical Updates
  • Void Shift (New Passive) - Malzahar gains a damage-reduction and CC-immunity buff when out of combat.

• Void Swarm (W) - Summons a voidling that can spawn an additional voidling, up to 3 total.

• Nether Grasp (R) - Suppresses target and deals %hp damage to all enemies around the target.
  • Blaze (Passive) - Can now stack up to three times, exploding in a large AoE after a few seconds.

• Pyroclasm (R) - Briefly slows enemies on each bounce.
  • Transfusion (Q) - Grants bonus movement speed and damage for a few seconds after casting Transfusion twice, starting once Transfusion is available to cast.

• Tides of Blood (E) - Costs a % of max health to charge up a sphere of blood, which deals damage in an AoE when released, or after a couple seconds. At full charge, this ability briefly slows enemies.

• Hemoplague (R) - Vladimir now heals for each enemy hit when the damage pops.
  • Garden of Thorns (New Passive) - Zyra passively generates seeds around her, up to a maximum, increasing in frequency with level. Seeds die when stepped on by enemy champions.

• Deadly Spines (Q) - Deals damage after a short delay in a line perpendicular to Zyra, growing Thorn Spitters for any seeds hit.

• Rampant Growth (W) - Can be cast to plant a seed in a target location. Increases plants' maximum HP with each rank.
  • Organic Deconstruction (Passive) - True damage now scales with Vel'Koz's ability power.

• Plasma Fission (Q) - Refunds half the mana cost if this spell kills a unit. Target indicator only appears for Vel'Koz.

• Lifeform Disintegration Ray (R) - Enemies that are deconstructed become researched. This ability deals true damage to researched champions, but no longer deconstructs them.
  • Snakes Don't Need Boots (New Passive) - Cassiopeia gains bonus movement speed per level, which does not stack with the movement speed from Boots items.

• Miasma (W) - Spews venom in an arc in front of Cassiopeia, leaving toxic clouds on the ground which damage, slow and ground enemies they touch. "Grounded" is a new type of CC that prevents the use of movement abilities.

• Twin Fang (E) - Deals bonus damage to poisoned targets, but no longer sets the cooldown to 0.5s. This ability still heals Cassiopeia and refunds mana if it kills a unit.

Tibbers viciously mauls targets that are stunned by Annie. Decrepify sends Beatrice to a target location to cripple enemies. New passive granting a movement speed boost after standing still for a moment. Satchel Charge executes turrets below a certain amount of health.
An updated passive allows Syndra to spawn and pick up more Dark Spheres. Barrages that hit enemy champions grant an extra barrage, up to a maximum. Gains more barrages with each rank of Rite of the Arcane. Glacial Storm expands over time, dealing bonus damage at maximum size. A new passive grants Veigar ability power for takedowns, killing minions or hitting enemy champions with spells.

Magical Items

Will of the Ancients has been removed from the game.

Refunds a portion of your mana costs. No longer gives mana regeneration. Taking damage generates mana. Spending mana heals you. Grants health regen if you have lower mana or mana regen if you have lower health.
Deals bonus magic damage to enemy champions on your basic attack every 30s. No longer gives spellvamp. AP and mana. Restores a percentage of max mana on level up over 3s. Builds into Morellonomicon. Updated. Still gives AP and CDR.

Hextech Gunblade
STATS: Attack Damage, Ability Power

RECIPE: Bilgewater Cutlass + Hextech Revolver + Gold

PASSIVE - OMNIVORE: Instantly heal for portion of all damage dealt, including physical, magical and true damage. This effect is reduced for area-effect spells.

ACTIVE - LIGHTNING BOLT: Deals instant magic damage and slows the target.
Hextech GLP-800
STATS: Ability Power, Health, Mana

RECIPE: Hextech Revolver + Catalyst of Aeons + Gold

PASSIVE: A portion of your damage taken is gained as mana. Spending mana restores a portion spent as health, up to a cap.

ACTIVE - FROST BOLT: Fires a spray of icy bolts, dealing magic damage and slowing enemy champions.
Hextech
Protobelt-01
STATS: Ability Power, Health, Cooldown Reduction

RECIPE: Hextech Revolver + Kindlegem + Gold

ACTIVE - FIRE BOLT: Dash forward and unleash a ring of fire bolts that deal magic damage.

Archangel's Staff
STATS: Mana, Ability Power

RECIPE: Tear of the Goddess + Needlessly Large Rod

PASSIVE - INSIGHT: Gain ability power equal to a small % of your maximum mana.

PASSIVE - MANA CHARGE: Grants additional maximum mana (up to a cap) for each spell cast and mana expenditure.

PASSIVE: Refunds a portion of your mana costs.

Morellonomicon
STATS: Mana, Ability Power, Cooldown Reduction

RECIPE: Lost Chapter + Fiendish Codex + Gold

PASSIVE: Dealing magic damage to an enemy champion below 40% health inflicts Grievous Wounds.

Athene's Unholy Grail
STATS: Ability Power, Mana Regeneration, Magic Resistance, Cooldown Reduction

RECIPE: Chalice of Harmony + Fiendish Codex + Gold

PASSIVE: Grants a large portion of health regeneration if your health % lower than your mana %. Grants a large portion of mana regeneration if your mana % is lower than your health %.

PASSIVE: Gain a portion of damage dealt to allied champions as blood charges. Healing or shielding another ally consumes blood charges to heal them for the amount stored.

Rod of Ages
STATS: Ability Power, Health, Mana

RECIPE: Catalyst of Aeons + Needlessly Large Rod + Gold

PASSIVE: This item gains health, mana and ability power every minute, up to 10 times.

PASSIVE: A portion of your damage taken is gained as mana. Spending mana restores a portion spent as health, up to a cap.

Abyssal Scepter
STATS: Ability Power, Magic Resistance, Cooldown Reduction

RECIPE: Fiendish Codex + Negatron Cloak + Amplifying Tome + Gold

PASSIVE AURA: Reduces magic resistance of nearby enemy champions. Scales with level.

Zhonya's Hourglass
STATS: Ability Power, Armor, Cooldown Reduction

RECIPE: Seeker's Armguard + Fiendish Codex + Gold

ACTIVE - STASIS: Put yourself in Stasis for a few seconds, rendering yourself untargetable and invulnerable for the duration, but also unable to move, attack, cast spells, or use items during this time.

Elemental Dragons

For the first 35 minutes of the game, one of four elemental dragons will spawn. The moment you take that one down, the minimap will indicate the elemental type of the next.

Both sides will always know which dragon spawns next, and multiple elemental buffs will stack on each other, making you even stronger in that aspect.

Fire Dragon

Earth Dragon

Water Dragon

Air Dragon
Increases champion killing power. Augments your dueling and team fighting abilities. Increases turret and epic monster damage. Augments your ability to take objectives. Increases health and mana regeneration. Augments your ability to siege and poke. Increases out of combat movement speed. Augments your ability to outmaneuver opponents on the map.

Elder Dragon

After 35 minutes into the game, all future dragon spawns become Elder Dragon spawns. The Elder Dragon far more difficult to kill than his elemental counterparts, but taking him out grants a powerful burn-over-time on spells and attacks and a buff that is stronger for each elemental stack you have.

Discuss

We hope you enjoyed this peek at some of the upcoming changes to mages, ability power items and dragons. Leave a comment below with your thoughts!
Thanks to Janitsu for the sig!
winston gergill
<Member>
winston gergill's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 19, 2016 3:18pm | Report
ahhhh so much stuff I'm super excited

there's other changes, too (quote from Meddler):

• Jungling XP's getting adjusted. In particular Machete now gives more XP, including the catch up XP if you're lower level than the monsters themselves. That's a change targeted primarily at how safe and effective buddy jungling is in organized play.
  • Tower damage will now ramp up quicker against champions and will maintain it's ramped state when swapping between multiple champions. Agro juggling during a dive should still be a good play some of the time, but riskier at low levels in particular.
  • Death timers will be getting reduced somewhat, probably between the 20-30 minute marks primarily. This is a follow up to the 6.7 changes that targeted 30 minute+ death timers, similarly aimed at reducing how punishing one fight can be and keeping a bit less gray screen time.
  • Boot enchants are getting removed. After making Homeguard a universal effect post 20 minutes we wanted to see how the boot enchant system played out. One of the main consequences has been Alacrity on a lot of champions, which as lead to noticeably higher average movement speeds. That throws off balance on a number of things, skillshots and ground targeted AOEs in particular, so we'd like to get average speeds back to a more appropriate spot. Removing boot enchants, now that the most impactful and significant is always provided, was one of the best ways we identified to do that.
  • Baron buff duration's going up a bit, in part to draw clear distinctions between it and the Elder Dragon buff (Elder dragon's around half the length, and on a longer respawn timer than normal dragons, so there shouldn't be too many cases of each team taking one of the two and then the game stalling until both are gone).
Janna guide | Thanks @ jhoijhoi for the sig! :D
FalseoGod
<Veteran>
FalseoGod's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 19, 2016 3:21pm | Report
Ok so:

Malzahar: I don't get Riot. In the forums and changes, they said Malzahar was making too much lockdown and damage. Unless they're taking damage from him, basically nullifying his ability to be an anti-dive comp mage, he seems to have exactly the same amount of lockdown. I'm really disappointed by his new W, the old one was a lot more efficient specially once you had Rilay's, which gave Malz a chance to pick champions or to disengage (especially in choke points).

Also, depending on voidling scallings, it might seriously embolden AD Malzahar.

Finally, I think his passive is strong. It also seems like it'll make Malzahar even better at locking down than before, since now he's harder to cancel due to the initial CC immunity, it should give him some nice laning power and diminish some of the bad matchups he had since they were mostly poke mages. I just don't know where this is an improvement or not for Malzahar, his kit is basically the same minus one huge ability that will probably affect his AoE greatly which was traded by...voidlings. Meh.

Brand, Zyra, Vel'Koz: Improvements. Their kits are the same, mostly only the passives were affected and some abilities improved. Basically buffs disguised an ZOMG AMAZING CHANGES.

Cassiopeia: I need to see more: numbers, how abilities are cast or not. If her W isn't fixed (like Jayce's ranged E), it'll be broken as ****. It basically can abate her weakness to assassins. The range and with are ludicrous. Her ult and passive also seem pretty strong, free MS is always an amazing stat and it might give her even more annoying kite/chase, depending on the numbers. I suspect that she might still suffer from the "Cassiopeia Syndrome": broken with favorable numbers, nearly completely useless if toned down. Also free item slot yay.

Vladimir: I'm curious to see how he'll be affected by the disappearance of spellvamp and the way that CDR will be switched off of certain items. His E seems like a great zoning tool in lane but, depending on CD, might affect his high DPS greatly. Q buff seems pretty solid.

Other champion changes: all of them seem like quality of life changes. Curious to see how they'll balance Veigar, it seems like he has the potential to reach ludicrous AP values too fast. I also like how most of them seem to be getting bigger changes than the ones Vel'Koz got, but it's Riot's own fault: they announced Velk changes and got HUGE negative feedback and complaints, almost as many as regarding Cassiopeia no longer being a poison mage since her rework. Sux.

Items: Once again, I think Riot is taking a ******ed amount of risk by changing a large number of champions AND items at the same time. Pre-season 6 was a dumb mess because of it (marksmen + items reworks) and took a while to correct. There's a billion new mana items for Ryze to play with, which I'm not sure I'm happy with but hopefully they'll look at him carefully before deciding everything's fine.

Also not sure how mana regen is basically only present in Athene's and that now they're going for the "big mana pool" approach. Champions that need spam/buildup or poke/siege might be affected negatively by the change since having a big mana pool but low regen means you'll run out if the siege takes too long.

The hextech items seem pretty nice and will definitely see play. All of them will strengthen champions (not even sure how I feel about the MS one on guys like Gragas). I'm concerned mostly about numbers: the versions of Zhonya's Hourglass and Abyssal Mask that were shared in the forums ~1 month ago were basically nerfs to the live versions, and I for one am tired of seeing AD champs being shoved down my throat.

All in all, **** you Riot for the new Malzahar W :3
DillButt64
<Editor>
DillButt64's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 19, 2016 4:25pm | Report
apparently AD malz jungle is broken from what im hearing and soon to be try if thats any case for how good the new voidlings are, i dont know why you hate the new W the only time anyone ever used the old W was when they ulted someone for the extra damage, plus his new passive is so much better than a voidling every 4 spells
Thanks to TheNamelessBard for the signature
TheRealCefor
<Member>
TheRealCefor's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 19, 2016 4:30pm | Report
They turned Veigar's ult into an execution spell. I'm just soo happy that I'll be heartbroken once they nerf everything.
FalseoGod
<Veteran>
FalseoGod's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 19, 2016 4:36pm | Report
DillButt64 wrote:
apparently AD malz jungle is broken from what im hearing and soon to be try if thats any case for how good the new voidlings are, i dont know why you hate the new W the only time anyone ever used the old W was when they ulted someone for the extra damage, plus his new passive is so much better than a voidling every 4 spells

I figured new voidlings could give him a great jungle clear, you spawn 3 instantly. Depending on ratios, they could make AD Malz pretty strong.

My Malzahar build has 3 major items: Boots of Swiftness (or enchantment: alacraty on Sorc's), Luden's Tempest and rilay's crystal scepter. This gives him great damage (malz has great scallings) and gives him something else: amazing pick and disengage potential. One tick from W instantly applies Rilay's slow on your target, allowing you to cast Malefic Visions for a permaslow and letting you chase or giving your team time to chase. In the same way, if the enemy team is chasing or trying to engage the W can be used to disengage with an AoE slow, specially in the jungle.

Also his W gives him HUGE aoe damage. It deals max healt % damage and in teams with lockdown you can cast it on 2-3 people for heaps of damage. The new voidling tool might or might not be able to give him some of these characteristics, but it'll never be the same. However, I suspect it'll be much better for making him interact in lane, giving him stronger poke.

Thing is, I still think a lot of people have the wrong idea of Malzahar: he is a very strong lategamer with powerful engage/disengage tools and he can offer your team a tank or bruiser in a golden platter easily. People always go "Malz omg ult the adc". No. Lategame you can create a fast 4v5 by ending ANY champion on their team who engages without the proper backup/aoe cc or even pickup a champion and create favorable siege situations (his Q lategame can easily deal 1/2 HP of a carry). Why would I bother jumping a carry and getting QSS'd or CC'd when I can stay at the back, **** their engage/counter engage and provide an opening for my team?

I don't know if new Malz will be able to do that as well. Yes, still has R and %HP damage, which is pretty good, but he can't disengage AoE so well due to lack of an AoE besides Q. However, I did say that his new passive seems amazing.
Thank you Byron for 2014's loudest laugh up till today
TheSilverDust
<Member>
TheSilverDust's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 19, 2016 4:38pm | Report
I wonder...

Malzahar: I wonder if I will see his AD counterpart more than his AP one.
Brand: I wonder how big the impact those changes are to his team fighting capabilities.
Vladimir: I wonder how he will be played now since the spell vamp will be removed from the game.
Zyra: I wonder what her death animation is. Also, I wonder where those seeds in her passive are being placed in the map.
Vel'Koz: I wonder if they will call him "Geometry Annie".
Cassiopeia: YOU *****ES BETER BE READY HERE, SO HERE GOES.
I wonder how will her passive impact her mobility since she cannot buy boots now against a skill shot-reliant champion that she is struggling from. I wonder how the removal of her Twin Fang reset will affect her dueling capabilities, since this is currently her main form of damage (0.9s CD, wow). I wonder how her Noxious Blast and Miasma will be utilized, for I am seeing her Q to be maxed first and W to be maxed second.
Thanks to winston gergill (muh Valentine in 2016)for the sig!

TheRealCefor
<Member>
TheRealCefor's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 19, 2016 4:41pm | Report
Oh my god, they added in Teemo buffs!!! :D
FalseoGod
<Veteran>
FalseoGod's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 19, 2016 4:51pm | Report
I wonder if they'll rebuff Syndra's Q damage/scallings since her level 9 no longer gives her damage increase (from what I'm reading), and instead "only" gives her longer duration on spheres. Otherwise, she'll be 100% a R bot with some nice utility. (I read her changes on Surrender@20)

Veigar changes are...interesting. Definitely better versus mages and bruisers thanks to ult being changed to damage based on missing HP%.

RottedApples
<Inhouse Addict>
RottedApples's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 19, 2016 8:30pm | Report
FalseoGod wrote:
I wonder if they'll rebuff Syndra's Q damage/scallings since her level 9 no longer gives her damage increase (from what I'm reading), and instead "only" gives her longer duration on spheres. Otherwise, she'll be 100% a R bot with some nice utility. (I read her changes on Surrender@20)

Veigar changes are...interesting. Definitely better versus mages and bruisers thanks to ult being changed to damage based on missing HP%.

the ratio is going up from .6 to .7.

I really want to try a lot of these changes. some of them look like a lot of fun.

Signature is from Ninja_Trigger's champion mastery thread!
New and slightly improved version is still up to date >HERE!<
1 2 3

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide