Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

A more bruiser-y Jayce

Creator: SpawnOfHell January 29, 2014 1:17am
1 2
SpawnOfHell
<Member>
SpawnOfHell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 29, 2014 1:17am | Report
I'm not interested in debating how viable it is or whether at all, just want to know in theory, if you, say, had to do it, how would you go about it?

I'm thinking the core stuff remains: Bloodthirster, Muramana, Last Whisper, but I'm stuck on the other items.

Sunfire Aegis?... meh probably a stupid idea, you're part-ranged though you can go more into melee if you build tanky enough.
Randuin's Omen yeah probably but not sure when you'd get this
Spirit Visage not that bad but it'd probably be most effective after BT, which is a bit late for going tanky
Locket of the Iron Solari?
Iceborn Gauntlet?
Warmog's Armor?
Guardian Angel?

Runes and masteries would be standard Jayce: AD runes with possibly lifesteal, 21/9 masteries etc. You play and build as standard Jayce early game but build tankier later on so you can more safely use melee in teamfights. I have my doubts this would work out at all, and it would almost certainly be outclassed, but it would be handy for a backup in those cases where your team lacks general tankiness and it suits my bruiser familiarity better.

And not really relevant to the title but somewhat towards the subject: what do you guys think of Jayce right now?
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 29, 2014 1:37am | Report
I don't think I'd do more than get a Randuin's Omen and eeh.. I don't know, does Maw of Malmortius count or is that still too AD Jayce-ish? Suppose Banshee's Veil could be fine depending on the enemy team, otherwise maybe a Spirit Visage (after Bloodthirster - as you mentioned - or simply after an early Vampiric Scepter). I'd probably buy a Frozen Mallet if I didn't dislike the item so much, too :P

Out of the items you listed, I definitely wouldn't get Sunfire Aegis or Locket of the Iron Solari. Iceborn Gauntlet doesn't sound too bad but probably shouldn't be bought early regardless because it doesn't give any health.

And not really relevant to the title but somewhat towards the subject: what do you guys think of Jayce right now?

I think he's ok, but not much more than that. Haven't played him much recently though, I will admit.

Thanks to jhoijhoi for the signature!
luizdeh
<Member>
luizdeh's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 29, 2014 8:18am | Report
Jayce is fun to play right now because he is underrated. He doesn't have the BEASTLY poke he used to have, but he does still have good poke. Those mana problems though...

If I were to build him bruiser, which I have and didn't do so hot, I'd go with Trinity Force rush, then Mercury's Treads, Spirit Visage/ Randuin's Omen (whatever the situation calls for first), Last Whisper, Maw of Malmortius.

No Muramana? Yup. Basically I didn't poke much with E+Q, just standard autos and the occasional Q, but then I went balls to the wall switching stances, trying to land a good combo then backing off with a proper ranged E+Q if I didn't get the kill or to finish it. The lack of much AD/Apen really hinders your mid to late game though, unless you get fed, then you just kind of suck late game.

All in all, hard to pull off effectively. Only guy I saw still trying something was that one NA d1~challenger dude that plays only Rengar and Jayce. He went double doran's then TF.
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 29, 2014 8:23am | Report
The build I currently run on Jayce is as follows; Mercury's Treads, Youmuu's Ghostblade, Bloodthirster, Last Whisper, Infinity Edge and Guardian Angel

AD caster Jayce (With a splash of crit) is probably the best build for him still. He just doesn't do very much damage without a heavy offensive build and he doesn't have the CC to justify not doing very much damage with a defensive build.

Muramana is still good if you feel like the game will last forever, or your jungler will never give you blue buff.. but meh...
utopus
<Veteran>
utopus's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 29, 2014 11:20am | Report
Yeah OTG's got it right. Defensive boots, Bloodthirster and Last Whisper are core. Jayce CAN be built bruiser i guess, Probably something like Frozen Heart (for defense & CDR & mana), Frozen Mallet, and maybe a Banshee's Veil.

The thing is that jayce's spells are just too good to take advantage of. For instance, his Hyper Charge has such good scaling with AD, that not taking advantage of that would frankly be ludicrious.

it's be like trying to do tank kog'maw. Just wouldn't work
If I helped you out, be sure to throw me a +Rep!
-

My Soraka Guide | My Review Service

Thanks for the sig, MissMaw!
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 29, 2014 11:30am | Report
Most I'd go bruiser-y on him is like a Maw of Malmortius/ Mercurial Scimitar and Randuin's Omen then otherwise offensive items, heh.

Remember how the champion spotlight implied that Jayce would be played as an ADC? While that may not be true, he kind of fills the same role as AD caster carries such as Lucian or Graves. His itemization is just a tad different due to massive scaling and his short range in cannon, as the use of his hammer being considered.
Mooninites
<Member>
Mooninites's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 29, 2014 1:24pm | Report
why would you build Youmuu's Ghostblade on jayce?
Thanks for the Signature MissMaw!
GrandmasterD
<Member>
GrandmasterD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 29, 2014 1:26pm | Report
Mooninites wrote:

why would you build Youmuu's Ghostblade on jayce?

20 arp does more for poke than Cleaver would. Also the active is great when you go all-in.
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 29, 2014 1:31pm | Report
It's also cheap as ****.
Mooninites
<Member>
Mooninites's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 29, 2014 1:41pm | Report

20 arp does more for poke than Cleaver would. Also the active is great when you go all-in.

hmm I guess they changed the active, I thought the active was (possibly used to be?) melee only
Thanks for the Signature MissMaw!
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide