Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Darius Theorycrafting

Creator: NicknameMy May 25, 2012 9:08am
1 2 3 4 5
NicknameMy
<Editor>
NicknameMy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 5, 2012 8:59am | Report
Just consider Trinity Force(first item) and Atma's Impaler(after Warmog's Armor) as a mix of tanky and damage items and you got enough of it. Atrimog's all the way.

Survive a full teamfight with medium damage is better than dying instantly with high damage.

Problem with Riven is, you can't get Trinity Force. You need to buy different items to make it up. And Riven doesn't have that ult, which is most usefull if you stay as long as possible in the teamfight.

Lee Sin has great ratios aswell, still everyone (who plays serious) builds him tanky. His high cc helps him at that.

I think, if a champion scales well if he stays longer in a teamfight and still brings something usefull to the team, he can go tank effectively. Darius has good cc and can finish off any enemy threat if it is low.
Jpikachu1999
<Member>
Jpikachu1999's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 5, 2012 11:29am | Report
NicknameMy wrote:

Just consider Trinity Force(first item) and Atma's Impaler(after Warmog's Armor) as a mix of tanky and damage items and you got enough of it. Atrimog's all the way.

You are probably going to get blown up super fast if you rush a Trinity Force. Not to mention that if someone shuts you down in lane ( Darius doesn't auto win a ton of lanes), then you can't afford that. You have 0 innate tankiness, and rushing something that doesn't really improve your survivability or damage that much is not a great idea.

NicknameMy wrote:

Survive a full teamfight with medium damage is better than dying instantly with high damage.

My build I use isn't glass cannon though. I don't understand what is wrong with a build like this:

Mercury's Treads
Frozen Mallet
Bloodthirster
Maw of Malmortius
Wit's End or Last Whisper or Frozen Heart/ Randuin's Omen
Guardian Angel

NicknameMy wrote:

Problem with Riven is, you can't get Trinity Force. You need to buy different items to make it up. And Riven doesn't have that ult, which is most usefull if you stay as long as possible in the teamfight.

Lee Sin has great ratios aswell, still everyone (who plays serious) builds him tanky. His high cc helps him at that.

I think, if a champion scales well if he stays longer in a teamfight and still brings something usefull to the team, he can go tank effectively. Darius has good cc and can finish off any enemy threat if it is low.

Also, yes I understand Lee Sin is built tanky, but he also has extreme mobility, and has several types of devastating CC. Not to mention he has a shield and built in super sustain. Darius has one CC, which is on a 22 second cooldown unless you level it. It's also super short ranged. Lee Sin can kick their tank into their carries. Darius can't. Also, last time I checked, TheOddOne plays Lee Sin as AD, and not tanky. If you watch his stream he'll do it when he plays Lee.

NicknameMy wrote:

Darius has good cc and can finish off any enemy threat if it is low.

Forgive me, Darius has 2 CC's, a slow and a pull. The pull is short ranged and on a long cooldown. The slow does little to no damage because we aren't building that much AD. Can anyone finish off an enemy threat if they are low? I mean, honestly, if someone has 680 health, your ranged AD, or even your AP carry should be able to finish them off. So, you're gonna just steal the kill with Noxian Guillotine? If you are gonna go tank Darius that has to be the worst crime to commit ever. The tank does not need kills. All you are doing is giving kills to someone who will get tankier, use their CC, and then do around 500 damage for the rest of the fight. If you gave those kills to the AD carry, they would probably be able to buy better items and increase their damage by a lot.

Also, if I really needed a CC monster who can tank, I'd play Alistar or Leona. Heck, even Blitzcrank has similar yet better CC than Darius. Or Nautilus, or Amumu or Shen or Rammus. I could keep going with a list for days.

If I helped you, click that +rep!
NicknameMy
<Editor>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 5, 2012 11:36am | Report
Hey, what you are suggesting is a tanky build. It has just less damage and less survivability than atrimog's.

BTW: Earlygame, Phage and 2 Doran's Blade + defensive boots are enough survivability.
He is gonna kill you!!!
Jpikachu1999
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 5, 2012 12:08pm | Report
Well, I don't know your full build, but from what I got from Duff, his build looks like this:

Mercury's Treads
Frozen Mallet
Maw of Malmortius
Guardian Angel
Atma's Impaler
Situational Item

Unless he has a pure offense item as the last item, that seems pretty tanky to me.

Also, how does atrimog's have more damage? 30 damage from TF, like 50 from Warmog's + Atma's. I'm gonna just stick with my BT + Maw + GA, and be nice and defensive while still being able to heal for like 100 health per hit.

NicknameMy
<Editor>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 6, 2012 9:05am | Report
Defensive items are everytime situational. You can consider items like Frozen Heart, Guardian Angel, Force of Nature, Quicksilver Sash, Randuin's Omen.

You could even use Shurelya's Battlesong to close the gap.

If you feel you are winning, you can also option for items like Maw of Malmortius and Wit's End.

Atrimog's+ Mercury's Treads is just the core, after that, you can build pretty much anything.
Jpikachu1999
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 6, 2012 7:25pm | Report
Well, the normal sort of build you would have, if you had to provide for most situations. Also, do you normally go tanky afterwards or just build some offense?

Beleren
<Member>
Beleren's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 7, 2012 8:14pm | Report
Darius with Trinity Force does a lot of damage. even without a lot of damage with 40% CDR you can spam your W every second so thats 100% extra damage + 150% extra base damage. Plus you're hitting fast and with other items like Infinity Edge and Phantom Dancer you should crit quite often between the 1 second cool down
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 8, 2012 12:04am | Report
NicknameMy wrote:

Yes, for Darius, no doubt.

NicknameMy wrote:

Eh. Can't say this about Lee Sin though. It's not true.
Pølsemanden
<Member>
Pølsemanden's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 8, 2012 1:25pm | Report
The build which i'm quite succesfull with is:
Boots+4
Doran's Blade 1 or 2, idc.
Heart of Gold
Phage
Randuin's Omen
Trinity Force
Maw of Malmortius

throw an aegis or shurelyas in there somewhere if your support/jungler doesn't get it.
Ty MM and Blood for the sigs :3 | Rammus is comming back - heard it here first!

"Carrying"-guide | My reviewservice
lifebaka
<Member>
lifebaka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 8, 2012 5:19pm | Report
Quoted:

throw an aegis or shurelyas in there somewhere if your support/jungler doesn't get it.

Hell, you can get Shurelya's even if your support does. Unless you activate at the same time, they'll stack just fine.
OTGBionicArm wrote: Armored wimminz = badass.

My posts may be long. If this bothers you, don't read them.
1 2 3 4 5

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide