Irelia Build Guide by VictorDelRey
Your votes and comments encourage our guide authors to continue
creating helpful guides for the League of Legends community.
+9 Adaptive (5.4 AD or 9 AP)
+9 Adaptive (5.4 AD or 9 AP)
+9 Adaptive (5.4 AD or 9 AP)
+9 Adaptive (5.4 AD or 9 AP)
Ability Order Standard Abilities
Threats & Synergies
Bullshit matchup. He is stronger than you on dueling, he is stronger on splitpushing and will mop you on lane. Pray that he is bad. Focus heavily on teamfighting and relying on your team. Or simply dodge.
Avoid his Qs and you are gucci. His CC is pretty unreliable and easily countered by your mobility. Make sure to E him if he is about to die and uses ult, so you can mark him and burst him. He no longer revives so if you win the trade, you win the game.
W nerfs made the Ahri matchup pretty bad. You rely on your MR in order to not be popped up by her. Abuse of Ahri each time she misses her charm, however. Rush Wit's End.
Hybrid damage. She has insane damage, but she is still an assassin, and not a pure magic one. You can still win this matchup with outplay potential. She can easily abuse you in lane however.
You counter her with your mobility. If you have ult up, you are a threat to her. If you use her minions while you are dueling her, there´s a high probability that her tentacles will not even touch you.
Her passive and R pretty much is anti-mobility. She has damage reduction and can abuse the fact that you have no damage reduction for magic damage aside for your MR. Try to snowball pre level 6.
Don't get stunned, and you are good to abuse Anivia. Rush Wit's End to counter her magic damage and to add DPS and extra sustain.
Avoid his stars with Q setups and you are good to win the trade, just watch out for his ult. Rush Tiamat and push, as he will most likely roam a lot.
Skillshot reliant. Still, if he ever hits something that is not his stun, he can stun you easily and you are pretty much dead. Rush Wit's End and abuse his early game so you can outscale him.
Skill matchup if she is not running Grasp, hard matchup if she does. W her stun and just trade when you have health advantage.
Can pretty much block your mobility and her DPS is pretty good. Dodge or rush Tiamat to push and roam. Rush Adaptive Helm after Triforce.
Immobile and weak early, you can abuse his bad early game and can easily dodge his Q with your Q. He can set up ganks tho, so watch for the jungle.
Darius tends to be VERY aggressive. Give up CS and don't push. Farm under tower. What is good about this matchup is that, if he makes a mistake. You can punish him HARD. And they tend to misposition a lot.
In 5v5, Ahri can dive to your ult and take out the priority targets along with you.
Ult if Orianna ults and catches the entire team. She can also protect you and add extra durability with her ball. When you dive into the enemy team, she can E > R and it will win the teamfight.
Can lock down entire teams pretty well, enabling them you to ult them.
Most of the synergies I have mentioned are mostly utility champions who use their CC in teamfights to enable you, however, Miss Fortune is maybe the only ADC that you synergize with. Both her ult and your ult done together will force the enemy to, either burn summoners or eat all the damage.
Her CC is enough for you to keep sticking to the target. She also keeps you alive and empowers your damage. She is an ideal support for when you want to make dem zik playz.
Adds AD, which means more magic damage from your passive, shields you, disengages if they try to ambush you, etc.
If you E someone, she can follow you up if she is near. Kai'Sa is a champion that will be more than glad to take out the enemy team and their backline. However, you still might need to peel for her if she mispositions. Kai'Sa and Irelia alone aren't good, but with a good tank like Sion, Leona, or Malphite can make it effective to dive on.
You want to dive into the backline, not for the backline to come with you. Irelia benefits from Blitzcrank the same as any other champion. However, he can pull a support or peeler so you can take out the backline rather quick.
Ashe with Runaan's and her slows have good AoE damage and CC. Enough utility for you to remain sticky to squishier and tanks alike.
Your ultimate, if placed inside the entire enemy team, can set up the enough zoning for Illaoi to be effective on her ult. Almost guaranteed won team fights.
Revives you, can use you as a way to damage the backline with his bombs, can make you faster in case the enemy flashes, and can revive you without burning out Guardian Angel. Zilean is the ideal support you want to look for.
Protects and heals you while you dive, ALSO her ult can set up your ult and team fight. Make sure to have Yuumi linked to you if you are ahead. Yuumi is the best support you can go botlane with.
You no longer can W magic damage, so if Syndra oneshots the mage, you are good to go to clean up the rest. This alone makes her synergy with Irelia more than ideal. If she W's and stuns the entire team, you can just clean everything up too.
Need to say more? His Ult is basically sooo good with your ult and your E.
Can Q a priority target so you can begin your dive. Also, she will benefit a lot from your zoning with her ult and her AoE damage. Also can shield you against magic damage, which you're weaker against.
Lower syngergy than Morg, but still can shield you, CC and provide good AoE damage.
Her wall basically says "nope" to those trying escaping from your ult, also, her R makes shredding the enemy a lot easier when they're inside your ult.
Champion Build Guide
This is my first guide for MOBAFIRE and I'm gonna give a guide for my main: Irelia . In this guide I'll explain all the things anyone must know in order to start playing Irelia. This guide is small and will only serve as an introduction to the basics. Remember the best way is to practice!
This guide will include four ways to play Irelia on two different maps:
- Summoner's Rift Top Laner
- Summoner's Rift Mid Laner
- Twisted Treeline Solo Laner
- Twisted Treeline AD Carry
For further discussion, you can visit https://www.reddit.com/r/IreliaMains/ ❤ ❤ ❤
Your roles always involve having an impact for your team, either through the snowball of the top lane or the roaming of mid lane. Irelia synergizes well with teamcomps that have CC that can follow up hers, and in general she synergizes the most with TANKS ( Malphite, Leona, Alistar) and MAGES ( Lux, Anivia, Brand, Lissandra, etc.) and in certain degree ENCHANTERS ( Nami, Janna, etc.) to keep her alive with protective shields and CC. Irelia doesn't have much synergy with ASSASSINS (With the exception of Ahri, who actually has a pretty good follow-up kit) because Assassins usually only have CC to lock down a target and burst it, and the only thing Irelia can do is to clean up the mess if they fail.
- High Mobility
- Lane Sustain
- Easy farming under tower.
- Versatile Playstyle.
- Excellent Teamfight.
- Has Utility with her CC and damage.
- 1v3/4 Potential (If really ahead)
- Midgame monster and lategame raidboss.
- Hard to play
- Hard to learn
- Really bad matchups (Jax, Renekton, and Fiora specifically).
- Not a strong late game but still decent (gets outscaled by Jax, Fiora and other skirmishers)
- Item dependent to be effective.
Corrupting Potion Is the one you always buy first. It grants you:
- Life sustain (Necessary for poke and trades).
- Mana sustain (Irelia is mana-hungry early on).
- Additional Magic Damage upon consumption (More damage for level 1-3 trades).
- Pick Tiamat when you need to shove the lane and push in general. It also grants you sustain with health regeneration and bonus AD, which is amazing as a first object against some matchups.
- Pick Sheen to solve your mana-hungriness and for the spellblade passive. Once you have Sheen, you are able to one-shot caster minions.
- Pick Phage for extra life and AD. This is a better option than Tiamat if you wish to play passive and farm under tower, rather than shoving the lane.
- Trinity Force is your first powerspike. It grants all the stats that Irelia needs + Phage's and Sheen's passive.
- Sterak's Gage will likely be your second item. It was nerfed on 8.12 so it no longer synergizes with Trinity Force, but the extra AD and health is welcomed. And also the shield it provides helps you on surviving getting bursted down.
- Titanic Hydra must be your third item. Bruisers like Irelia stack health. Titanic Hydra let's you have enough stats to be tanky, damage for being tanky, waveclear, sustain and an active that's basically an AA-reset. Since Irelia, unlike other champs doesn't have AA-resets or animation cancelling on her kit, so Titanic Hydra is useful for making your DPS better.
- Ninja Tabi: Usually rush these on matchups like Yorick. It is also strong against AA champions and synergizes well with Thornmail on shutting down AA-Based champions.
- Mercury's Treads are a must against Teemo and Kennen. Also if the enemy team has hard CC.
- Guardian Angel You will get bursted down. After Guardian Angel, you can end up cleaning the mess after diving. You are a diver, but you can't afford dying during a dive. (This item is not available in the Twisted Treeline).
- Death's Dance Death's Dance CDR and Lifesteal is best coupled with Legend: Bloodline. The raw AD it provides also allows Irelia to adopt an offensive playstyle that is based on sustain, and also facilitates your teamfight dives! Also, the bleed let's you survive better. Dance around your death!
- Mercurial Scimitar is your choice against teams that has suppression as CC ( Malzahar, Warwick, Urgot). It is also an item that scales well with Irelia by being an offensive item with defensive and sustain traits.
- Wit's End should be a rush item against APs, now that her W was nerfed. It lets her have hybrid damage and have a Last Stand-type sustain
- Randuin's Omen is a good option vs champions that are crit-based, just like Yasuo. It is also strong against Marksmen.
- Thornmail is the bane of sustain. If you are against a Fiora or an Aatrox, you must had rushed Bramble Vest first. This is a great item against Marksmen and AA-Based champions like Master Yi and Tryndamere.
- Adaptive Helm is a better MR item than Spirit Visage due to the reduced AP damage of subsequent attacks. You will resist both burst mages and DPS-mages alike with this item.
- Zz'Rot Portal is a viable item that helps with splitpushing. You are already building health in your core items, so all the stats Zz'Rot gives you are viable on Irelia.
- Locket of the Iron Solari is a better teamfighting option. It grants a shield to your allies in order to give them more survivability. Locket of the Iron Solari allows you to give defensive utility to truly lead your team to victory!