Kai'Sa Build Guide by SnipyOCE
creating helpful guides for the League of Legends community.
Runes: Hail of Blades
+10% Attack Speed
+9 Adaptive (5.4 AD or 9 AP)
+8 Magic Resist
Champion Build Guide
If you're interested in learning how to play Kai'Sa mid, check out my stream!
My OP.GG - Void Seeker
My OP.GG - Snipy
|Hail of Blades gives you a lot of power in trades, and makes up for the fact that you don't build attack speed early.|
|Taste of Blood gives you great lane sustain early-game. This is the best rune out of the first row to take in all matchups. The other runes in the row aren't worth taking at all.|
|Ghost Poro is a great rune for midlaners since it provides more vision for you and your team. Eyeball Collection is a viable alternative though.|
|With Ravenous Hunter, you'll be healing up a ton of HP since a lot of your damage is single-target. You won't have any sustain problems or need to recall to regenerate HP after fights.|
|With Presence of Mind, you can potentially get a very early Q evolve if you have a few early kills/assists, since the bonus mana it gives counts towards your Q evolve through Manamune.|
|Legend: Alacrity is a solid rune choice which helps you brawl with other champions, and synergises with your passive and Hail of Blades. Legend: Bloodline is not worth taking here, since you'll be healing a ton from Ravenous Hunter.|
For stat shards I go attack speed, AP, and either Armor or Magic Resist. I take an attack speed shard instead of double AP since it helps with general csing and autoattacking, and makes it much possible to take a small raptor level 1, but we’ll get to that later.
|Doran's Blade is crucial to the build, since it gives 8 AD which counts towards your Q evolve.|
|The goal is to farm up your core items and become a mid-game monster. Cull helps with that by giving +7 AD towards an earlier Q evolve, and 300 extra gold once you complete it. Buy this on your first recall.|
|Manamune is the key item used to evolve your Q using its mana to AD conversion. The extra AD it gives your other spells as well, since they all scale with AD. Try to avoid buying the Tear of the Goddess component, since Kai'Sa stacks it really slowly with spells. Pickaxe + Sapphire Crystal + Faerie Charm -> Manamune is the ideal scenario.|
|Sorcerer's Shoes gives you magic penetration, amplifying your magic damage.|
|Berserker's Greaves is an alternative if you need more survivability, since it increases the move speed you receive from your E Supercharge. Alongside Nashor's Tooth, it'll give you your E evolve once you hit level 11. However, I usually only buy this if the enemy is building a lot of magic resist.|
|Luden's Echo is a core item in this build, but we don't need it as early as other midlane mages since we have Manamune. Lost Chapter is the main item that gives us the mana sustain, some CDR and enough AP to evolve W once we another Amplifying Tome.|
|Hextech GLP-800 is an alternative to Luden's Echo if you value its slow and cheaper cost. With the extra 400 gold you save, you can buy another Amplifying Tome and get your W evolve 400g earlier.|
- Passive can be procced more often|
- W poke is stronger
- Slows enemies|
- 400 gold cheaper
|Luden's Echo is more expensive, but provides more per-slot stats compared to Hextech GLP-800.||Hextech GLP-800 gives you your W evolve faster once you spend that extra 400 gold on an Amplifying Tome, letting you powerspike faster. Its also helps catch enemies and kite threats.|
|If you’re against multiple AD champions like Zed + Lee Sin + Pyke, you can buy a Seeker's Armguard after Manamune since it's very cost-efficient for the armor and AP it gives. After Luden's Echo, you can buy Zhonya's Hourglass instead of Nashor's Tooth if you need its active. Otherwise, sitting on a Seeker's Armguard for the rest of the game is fine too.|
|If you’re against a heavy AP teamcomp like Ekko and Elise, you can rush Hexdrinker to ensure they cannot burst you down.|
|Nashor's Tooth gives you that final 20% CDR and is super gold-efficient for the stats it gives. Purchasing its 2 components Fiendish Codex and Stinger after Luden's Echo gives you a total 40% CDR, and alongside W evolve will reduce your W cooldown to 2.52 seconds if you hit an enemy champion.|
|Rabadon's Deathcap will massively amplify your spell damage and Killer Instinct shield.|
|Hextech Gunblade gives you the most damage from a single item outside of Rabadon's Deathcap. Its active also procs Muramana, and its passive will heal you 15% of any damage you heal. Since your W is single-target, a 1000-damage Void Seeker will instantly heal you for 290 HP from Hextech Gunblade + Ravenous Hunter.|
|Liandry's Torment will make your spells hurt even more, especially against tanks. Usually you'll be aiming your W at CC'ed enemies to proc your Second Skin, so you'll be able to get the double-damage burn often. In long drawn-out fights, its 10% damage bonus is also no joke.|
|Guinsoo's Rageblade turns you into a DPS machine as you're able to get close and autoattack. Guinsoo's Rageblade + Nashor's Tooth gives you your E evolve though, so it's a pretty solid lategame item.|
|Void Staff is usually bought when the enemies are ALL stacking magic resist. If only 1 or 2 enemy frontliners are buying MR and their carry players aren't, don't bother with a Void Staff and just get a different item for more burst.|
|Morellonomicon should only be bought if your team really needs Grievous Wounds to cut enemy healing.|
For skill order you want to take Q Icathian Rain level 1 and also max it first. It’s your waveclear and primary trading tool during early game since minions will usually block your W Void Seeker unless you go for some flashy play or the enemy mispositions. Max W Void Seeker second, and E Supercharge last, while putting a point into your ult whenever possible.
You can also take E level 2 if you feel like you can chase the enemy down for a heavy trade without taking too much damage in return.
- QW is the most basic combo. It’s faster than using WQ, and the Q also hides the W animation somewhat, giving the enemy less time to react. You can also sneak in an autoattack when you press Q since it doesn’t cancel your autoattack animation.
- Example combo: AA QW AA
- W+Flash is extremely useful. It helps you get around enemy minions if they are in the way, surprise people, and you can also use it to change the direction your W Void Seeker goes. Early game it’s usually used as a finisher unless you managed to land the W Void Seeker at the start.
- If you flash at the end of your W animation, you can actually make your real W invisible.
- Another way to land your W Void Seeker on people is to combine it with your R Killer Instinct. Kai'Sa is free to cast any of her abilities during her R Killer Instinct, so you could ult up to somebody and have your W Void Seeker come out as soon as you arrive. Click the links below for examples:
- Example 1
- Example 2
- Example 3
R Autoattack Reset
- Killer Instinct is an autoattack reset, which is super helpful in applying your passive Second Skin during fights since this build doesn’t include any attack speed outside of runes.
- You can take advantage of this with this combo: W AA R AA
- In this combo you can Q Icathian Rain anytime since it has no cast animation.
5-stack Combo without W Void Seeker Evolve
- This is a quick way to get all your damage off and pop your execute from your passive, but the enemy needs to be in autoattack range first: AA Q W AA R AA
Fast Combo with W Void Seeker Evolution + Flash
- This combo is slightly slower but has a longer range: W flash Q AA R AA.
- Example clip
Assassination combo with Hextech Protobelt-01
- This makes use of the autoattack reset that Hextech Protobelt-01 gives ranged champions, letting you proc your execute passive Second Skin with W R AA+proto+AA.
- Example clip (note that I have no attack speed items
- another example
- You can take a small
at the start of the game in order to hit level 2 off the first wave, possibly resulting in an easy first blood. Just make your Q Icathian Rain hit only one Raptor and kite it around the
camp wall towards your lane. For your own raptors kite them around the wall but for enemy raptors kite them towards the river. Raptors spawn at 1:30 and a small raptor will die from 6 Q Icathian Rain missiles + 4 autoattacks. We take the attack-speed stat shard in our runes so that we can do it easily, consistently, and barely take any damage from doing so.
Video Explanation here, old but still applies:
- Use the raptor trick to gain an early XP advantage. You will hit level 2 off the first wave, and level 3 of the first 2 minions of the 3rd wave. The enemy will reach the same level 1 minion slower.
- Try to buy a Cull as soon as possible. The earliest you can buy it is usually after killing the 3rd minion wave (cannon).
- Focus on farming for your Manamune. If you have a few kills + assists, then a lost chapter + level 10/11 will usually get you your Q evolve, helping you farm even faster.
- Catch out stragglers with your W and R. By the time you ult in, your W should almost be off cooldown.
- You powerspike at Manamune + Luden's Echo/ Hextech GLP-800 + Amplifying Tome, where you will have Q and W evolve, and 20% CDR. This is enough to easily assassinate carries by yourself, and be a strong teamfighter.
- 2nd powerspike comes at 40% CDR ( Nashor's Tooth components).
- Look to poke the enemies from far away, and use any friendly CC to ult in and R+W squishy enemies.
- Try not to miss your Void Seeker, since it heavily affects your total damage output if you don't get a cooldown refund.
- Make sure to proc your caustic wounds with W and autosttacks whenever anyone has multiple stacks of plasma on them.
- Learn how to walljump with Kai'Sa ult. It will help you. A LOT.
- Your W can easily 2-shot carries if they have no MR, with a W, R+W combo.
- Try to rely on your W for constant damage. Only get close to autoattack enemies when it is completely safe, or when you have your team near you.
- Don't worry about only trying to hit the backline carries, your W will chunk the frontline too. Sometimes it's better to get constant damage on the enemy frontline instead of trying to snipe the enemy backline who are far away.
- You can use the enemy frontline to bunnyhop over and burst people behind them. To do this, W the frontline, wait 2-3 seconds for your W cooldown, then ult over the first enemy and aim your W at the person behind them.
- You can position yourself so that your Q Icathian Rain only hits one minion (usually on a melee minion or cannon minion) but kills it immediately. It helps get waves pushing. Cannon minions need to be missing some hp to die from Q Icathian Rain. This trick + her autoattacks give Kai'Sa pretty good early pushing/waveclear ability.
- Your Q Icathian Rain missiles do double damage to minions below 35% health. Make use of this by autoattacking multiple minions and Q’ing at the end to execute them.
- Try to stand in a position where if the enemy walks up, they will tank more Q Icathian Rain missiles since less minions are in range.
- Your W Void Seeker will continue to cast even when CC’ed. The W Void Seeker animation gets cancelled when you get cc’ed as well, making it harder for the enemy to notice you're casting it. Useful against champions like Twisted Fate, Zoe, Annie, etc. Here's an example.
- If running ignite, try to ignite early so that your passive execute will do more damage.
- After you trade with someone, you can back off a bit and if they walk back up while still having 2 or 3 plasma stacks, you can surprise them with a W+flash or W+flash+AA. Like this.
- Your W Void Seeker hitbox is very fat so you can even hit someone who’s hiding in a minion wave if you W+flash right next to or on top of them.
- You can hide your W Void Seeker by aiming it through walls.
- Your W Void Seeker has 3000 range, also the same as Lux’s R Final Spark.
- Try to aim your W Void Seeker at enemies that are (or going to be) cc’ed as they won’t be able to dodge.
- Use your R Killer Instinct to escape over walls. Example.
- You can flash to cancel your R dash early.
Congratulations, you've made it to the end of the guide so here's a little-known secret that will 100% boost your Kai'Sa skills: