Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

Examples of tables

Creator: astrolia June 11, 2014 2:42am
1 2 3
astrolia
<Fabulous>
astrolia's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 11, 2014 2:42am | Report
If you have no idea what I'm talking about, a table is basically what you see when you use a spreadsheet program (Excel, Numbers, Google Sheets) with both vertical and horizontal data cells. This contrasts from Mobafire's column code, which only goes horizontally.

While using tables for layout is not acceptable in web design, it is perfectly a-ok for your little guide cause frankly this is the best they're giving us.

Tables also allow for the use of a background color. In more eloquent hands, this might lead to better laid out information. In inexperienced hands, this might lead to the most painful to read guide ever. With great power comes great responsibility, kids.

Also, Mowen made a basic guide on Wildstar Fire, but failed to mention stuff like TH (pre-formatted table header, replaces a TD tag) and ROWSPAN (vertical version of COLSPAN.)

To get a copy of the code for these examples, hit the Quote button in the top right to get a copy.

(Colors are to demonstrate where table cells start/stop.)

Item Build

Start Early - Mid Game Late Game
VS AD:
Finish:
VS AP:
Finish:

Masteries

Mastery Choices

Legend
Purple: Core mastery. Take this every game.
Blue: Choice/preference mastery. You can choose whichever to open up the next tier.
Red: Useless to support or just a noob trap mastery. Avoid.

Colored "Dividers"

You can set the padding in the td to control the height. However, it adds padding to all 4 sides (top, bottom, left, right) so padding=1 will give you a "height" of 2 pixels (1 on top, 1 on bottom).

Example:

Alignment

Another advantage of tables over padding is being able to specify vertical alignment. If vertical-align=bottom or vertical-align=top aren't applied to a TD, the table will default to your content showing dead center.

runes
masteries
summoners
items
laning
team fights
videos

table of contents
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Aliquam eu vestibulum nulla. Etiam feugiat, odio non posuere semper, metus sem tristique felis, eu tincidunt orci turpis eget elit. Sed sit amet nunc lobortis, luctus tortor a, dapibus magna. Nam dignissim, metus non porttitor cursus, arcu turpis facilisis ipsum, sed blandit eros sem sed lacus. Nulla eu malesuada sem. Morbi in elementum tortor.

Nullam venenatis nunc et tortor aliquam, ac accumsan lorem mollis. Etiam vel porttitor eros. Cras sit amet commodo nisl. Nullam aliquam vestibulum turpis, vel eleifend eros consectetur at. Cras dignissim malesuada quam, vitae tristique nisi ultrices nec. Nam congue sed dolor et suscipit. Maecenas auctor a ligula vitae commodo. Quisque eget leo ac nunc dignissim interdum. Nullam tincidunt lectus a cursus tincidunt.

The Center Tag

Wrapping your table in center tags will make the table centered in your guide/post, but also all of the text inside of it will be centered. (Btw, you can insert tables within tables, just remember to close the tags.)

First Spell Second Spell Options
It heals you
It takes damage for you
You turn into Genja

BG Color Quirks

You can specify a BG color in TR and it will auto-color every TD within the TR. You can also set a BG color on the whole table - that's what gives the appearance of a "border" in this example. Without the TRs having bg color set, it would just be a white background.

Match Ups

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Aliquam eu vestibulum nulla. Etiam feugiat, odio non posuere semper, metus sem tristique felis, eu tincidunt orci turpis eget elit. Sed sit amet nunc lobortis, luctus tortor a, dapibus magna. Nam dignissim, metus non porttitor cursus, arcu turpis facilisis ipsum, sed blandit eros sem sed lacus. Nulla eu malesuada sem. Morbi in elementum tortor.
Verdict
Hard
Verdict
Easy
Verdict
50/50

In normal html/css, you would add in "border-spacing:0;" to the table to fix it so there's no spacing between each cell causing the table background to show, but that argument doesn't seem to be used on Mobafire.

(I'll add something else when I feel like it.)
hi embracing. yes i play ff14 now.
GrandmasterD
<Member>
GrandmasterD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 11, 2014 2:52am | Report
Pretty much basic html then; that's nice. Looks like I can update my skill sequence table again, but this does look really neat.
koksei
<Member>
koksei's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 11, 2014 2:55am | Report
"To learn CSS u must first learn tables.

Now that u know about tables forget all about them again and lets face CSS."

- Every graphic design teacher ever

~ Sig by Xiaowiriamu ~
GrandmasterD
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 11, 2014 3:11am | Report
koksei wrote:

"To learn CSS u must first learn tables.

Now that u know about tables forget all about them again and lets face CSS."

- Every graphic design teacher ever

Now that you know about columns, forget all about them again and let's face tables.

The MOBAFire version.
astrolia
<Fabulous>
astrolia's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 11, 2014 3:17am | Report
Fortunately or unfortunately, not all table html seems to be supported, but it's enough to get ~dangerous~.

Also if a design teacher ever told you that you need to learn tables b4 css, then you should ask for a refund on your education... Tables still have uses for presenting data, and they aren't the same as definition lists. They shouldn't not be taught for layout in the first place. >_>

I'm still waiting on the day mobafire lets me use CSS... Think of the :hover states. ( ・◡・)
GrandmasterD
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 11, 2014 3:29am | Report
astrolia wrote:

I'm still waiting on the day mobafire lets me use CSS... Think of the :hover states. ( ・◡・)

webdesign-gasm

EDIT: I just want those custom tooltips.
koksei
<Member>
koksei's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 11, 2014 3:53am | Report
astrolia wrote:

Fortunately or unfortunately, not all table html seems to be supported, but it's enough to get ~dangerous~.

Also if a design teacher ever told you that you need to learn tables b4 css, then you should ask for a refund on your education... Tables still have uses for presenting data, and they aren't the same as definition lists. They shouldn't not be taught for layout in the first place. >_>

well I had some html and css knowledge before, enough to skip tables for sure.
the whole class tried telling the teacher its useless.. but welp school systems rule.

~ Sig by Xiaowiriamu ~
TROLLing1999
<Member>
TROLLing1999's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 11, 2014 3:53am | Report
I am writing an exam on basic HTML tomorrow. The table I am working on are much more simplified than what you presented, though :)
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 11, 2014 4:10am | Report
Mastery trees certainly look far better in tables than columns. Nice post. Will be interesting to see how people implement tables.

Show us more? :P
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by thenamelessbard ♡
astrolia
<Fabulous>
astrolia's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 11, 2014 5:08am | Report
Yeah, was making a couple others, but these are more about "behavior" than ideas/uses.

Edit: Moved these examples to the OP.
1 2 3

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide