Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

jhoijhoi's ranked journey of teh luls (oce)

Creator: jhoijhoi July 31, 2012 10:52pm
Cable_AHVB
<Member>
Cable_AHVB's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 10, 2012 5:35am | Report
jhoijhoi wrote:

You have to be level 30 to play ranked games :) I'd recommend not playing ranked until you've got at least 500 games under your belt ^^

Man, that's a lot of games. I think I can manage that though. I think if I go hard I can be level 30 by the end of this week. Should I try random draft unranked games? So far all I've really been doing is blind picks, that way I can keep getting better with Viktor/Vlad and Garen.

edit: I don't think I'm an average gamer though, btw. I play multiple games at professional levels, including Street Fighter IV, Dead or Alive, Tekken 6, Counter-Strike, and Starcraft II.
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 10, 2012 5:45am | Report
Well, 500 games is a good point, as it's around 250 wins, 250 loses (match maker aims to see people winning around 50% of their games). The least I'd play ranked with is 300 games, and that's pushing it, because you can be pitted against players who have played over 1000 games.

You need to have at least 16 champions before you can play draft mode, but it is good practice :)
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by arrizen ♡
Toshabi
<Veteran>
Toshabi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 10, 2012 6:15am | Report
I prefer quality of matches over quantity to be honest. A person who has a mentor (anyone gold) teaching them the fundamentals of the game and guiding them on how to better play the game could have a person be up and ready to play ranked in 100 matches. Also, spectating ranked games (the solo queue ones they have on the main menu screen) will also teach one good strategies like ward placements, engaging, builds and general gameplay techniques. Studying guides additionally helps to bolster ones understanding of the game.

Playing a **** load of games is great, but understanding what makes you better and understanding how to improve yourself after every loss (The "EVERY GAME IS MY FAULT" mentality will lead one to improve rapidly) makes for a stronger player.
Vavena
<Member>
Vavena's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 10, 2012 6:40am | Report
Toshabi wrote:

The "EVERY GAME IS MY FAULT" mentality will lead one to improve rapidly) makes for a stronger player.

Finally someone that understands.. Pretty much this; best thing you can do for improvement.

jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 10, 2012 7:06am | Report
Tosh, a person with 1000 games under their belt will be more knowledgeable than someone with 150. Even if you watch and read a million guides/streams, you will never know how long it is to dodge this and that, or to cast this or that etc etc. Only through practise can you reach a skill level high enough to succeed in ranked.

♡ sig by natuhlee ♡
Toshabi
<Veteran>
Toshabi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 10, 2012 7:26am | Report
jhoijhoi wrote:

Tosh, a person with 1000 games under their belt will be more knowledgeable than someone with 150. Even if you watch and read a million guides/streams, you will never know how long it is to dodge this and that, or to cast this or that etc etc. Only through practise can you reach a skill level high enough to succeed in ranked.

Not true at all. A person can play 10,000 games and can still be worst then someone who has played 200 games. I've got proof of this all over my buddy list. If you play the game the same all those 10,000 games, going on with a "Well, I only lost because my teammates were awful" mentality, you'll never get any better. The person with 200 wins who says "Man, I sucked that game, what in the world could have I done better to win?" is going to improve greatly every game, especially if they seek professional help.
IceCreamy wrote:

(1:07): I prefer your balls over ***hol

JEFFY40HANDS
<Altruistic Artist>
JEFFY40HANDS's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 10, 2012 7:30am | Report
Some people have a steeper learning curve than others.
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 10, 2012 8:07am | Report
I think 500 games is a pretty generously low number considering the average player. That's only ~250 wins, which is fairly minimal for someone jumping into ranked play.

Tosh is right though in that there are players with little experience who are much better than some with a lot of games under their belt, but for that judgment you'd probably need to get someone experienced to review your gameplay to see if you're ready for ranked.

Or you could just jump in and risk your elo dropping like a stone for the first while. There's actually nothing wrong with learning in ranked instead of practicing in normals first, it just takes longer to climb back up and a lot of people don't like playing at low elo.
Thanks to Jovy for the sig!
Cable_AHVB
<Member>
Cable_AHVB's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 10, 2012 10:55am | Report
When you said 300 games, I honestly thought you meant 300 wins. I'm very close to 150 wins as is. I also have enough heroes to do draft. As I leveled up I bought, with IP and RP, a bunch of heroes, as I could never decide who I really liked until recently. I completely understand how quality of games is better than quantity though. I have a friend who has almost 400 wins, is level 30, and I'm already better than he is, through a combination of a better mentality about gaming and competitiveness, as well as a better adeptness for gaming, which is why I mentioned all the games I play at a high level already. The thing is though, he still knows more about the game than I do. There are a lot of heroes I've STILL never fought, like Swain, and when I do see them for the first time, I have to adapt quickly to figuring out what they do, and if I die, I read the games tool tips about the hero and what they used to kill me like a mad man.

I think once you start gaming at a professional level period, you're kind of on a different level in almost anything, and my fundamentals in Starcraft, really helped start me off on the right foot for LoL. I'm sorry for derailing your thread, but I like how engaged this community is, you guys seem pretty cool, while staying respectful.
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 10, 2012 2:59pm | Report
^EXACTLY what I meant. The person with 1000 games is likely to have faced every champion at least once. The one with 150 games won't have. That's what I was referring to, Tosh, you have to have the experience to understand that Cait's Q has a cast time delay - you can read about it, you can watch it, but until you've played her yourself, you're not going to know how long it really is, and you'll miss that Dragon steal.

I never was saying that a "I can improve" mentality is bad. I was saying that no matter how well you've been taught by other people, or how many guides/streams you have watched, players with more games have a bigger advantage of pure experience.

Key key key example of this is my dad and sister. They both watched Patch, Warlemming and myself go through each level 1-30, and then read guides/watched high elo tournament play, have us to talk to etc etc etc. They were far more knowledgeable about the game than anyone else at level 1 due to this, but they still played poorly because they didn't know the minute details one comes to know by playing a lot of games.

Cable: Yes, we're a nice bunch of people, even if we do get into arguments :P

♡ sig by Jovy ♡

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide