Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

Lack of AD ranged carries

Creator: ZioSerpe October 2, 2011 2:53pm
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 2, 2011 9:28pm | Report
Cause singed is an ******* and I clearly can't win with him.
ZioSerpe
<Member>
ZioSerpe's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 2, 2011 10:20pm | Report
JunSupport wrote:

Actually, I count 8 that are viable in ranked play.

8 out or 80~ is about 10%. A bit low, but hardly a shortage.

There only needs to be 1 AD carry per team; 1 out of 5. With 8 to choose from, and bans being monopolized by tanks and junglers, there's hardly an issue if you're actually skilled enough to handle ranked play.

Ashe, Caitlyn, Corki, Ezreal, Kog'Maw, Tristana, Urgot, Vayne

These champions are all still viable if you know how to play them.
If you don't - Well, START PRACTICING.

The real reason for a thread like this is because "There's too many new Tanky DPS" champions.
Not nearly enough of everything else being release. But that doesn't mean we have a shortage.

Riot had a plan to release a steady flow of different archetypes; like: Carry, Caster, Tank, Tanky DPS, Assassin, Carry, Caster...
But real life messed with a lot of designs and made it blend more.

edit: If anything, we have a severe lack of tanks. A lot of Tanky DPS should be re-designed as tanks.

Amumu, Alistar, Rammus, Maokai, Shen, Cho'Gath, Taric, Galio
These are the only ones designed to be tanks. That's only eight in total, and Taric never plays as the main tank.

Dear Jun, lurking these forums I've come to understand that you're the kind of guy that jumps to conclusions, and many times you're wrong with me, so lemme explain:
I don't care if there's too many tanky DPSers, it's a good thing in my opinion, also because many of them are viable, and I'd like to see the same on AD ranged carry, you count 8 viable, but we know there's really just 3 that are optimal in ranked high elo Caitlyn, Ashe and Vayne plus eventually Ezreal when played right, with other viable ranged AD being outclassed by these 3. But that's not my point, my point is there's always the same damn AD ranged champs and they got kinda boring, I'm stating a feeling here, if I wanted too QQ about too many tanky DPS I would have done what everybody does and went QQing on LoL official forums, don't you think? I wanted to know if other peple had the same opinion. Sorry for ruining your day with my lurking won't happen again master. Have a field day, by all means.

For all you questions about jungling

yes Mr smartypants click on the signature
JakofAllSpaydes
<Editor>
JakofAllSpaydes's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 2, 2011 10:22pm | Report
apparently they are gonna release 2 dps yordles, but thats all i heard
Thx to Jhoi, nyoike, xiao, Jeffy40Hands, AlexPT, Wafflewarrior, Wrath and myself for the sigs <33333
JunSupport
<Veteran>
JunSupport's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 3, 2011 12:41am | Report
@ZioSerpe:

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't know you were a 2100+ ELO player.

Oh wait - You're not.

Did you know that 1520 ELO is the top 25% (if memory serves...)? That's high-ELO.

Going by 2100+ tier-list standards is demonstrating your inability to utilize intuition.

Remember when Teemo was considered bad?
Then "The Rain Man" climbed to the top of the ELO ladder - Until he got nerfed.

He did that WITHOUT listening to the metagame or tier list.

Corki, Kog'Maw, Tristana, and Urgot are all viable ranged carries who HAVE shown up in top ELO and high-stakes tournaments.
Corki - Slightly nerfed, but still viable; people have just been shying away from him due to nerfs and forum-qq
Kog'Maw - Played multiple times in a high-stakes tournament and shown to be an amazingly strong carry. His only problem is his low mobility which is resolved when played by a skilled user.
Tristana - The only thing wrong with her is her lack of flashy animations; she's considered the strongest AD carry in all of LoL by both the internal staff of Riot AND high-elo players.
Urgot - Shown to directly counter own AD carries when he CRUSHED Caitlyn in lane at the IEM tourney

Your skepticism only shows your need for improvment.
You should quit your lurking. You're clearly not knowledgeable enough to take this topic where it needs to go.
~ Gentlemen Cho'Gath ~
┌──┐
┴──┴
< ಠ,....,ರೃ>
~ Keeping this sig classy ~

Guides of Mine - Click the... Eh... Come back later

~Undergoing barbaric-Destruction, tasteful-Renovation, and blasphemous-Reconstruction soonâ„¢~
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
JunSupport
<Veteran>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 3, 2011 12:55am | Report
-sigh- Sometimes, I feel like there was a secret game-changing patch I didn't know about that fundamentally shifted all the champions I know. (like the way the Soraka rework shifted her playstyle - HUGE CHANGE)

lol@youthinkmaokaiandchoaretanks

When did you start making such stupid posts?

Since when was Maokai NOT a tank? Just like Cho'Gath, he's best played as a mage tank; emphasis on the "tank". Even when building Trinity Force, Maokai is still a mage tank.

When have you not seen a good Cho'Gath player play as a tank? Mage tank mainly, but a tank nonetheless.
Tank Cho'Gath is incredibly strong and perfectly viable.

Cho'Gath isn't tagged as a tank, but Riot's stated numerous times that Cho'Gath is intended to work as a tank. Riot's amazingly lazy when it comes to their own tags - lol

Lugignaf wrote:

Actual tank list, according to RIOT: Alistar, Amumu, Galio, Leona, Maokai, Rammus, Shen, Taric.

Oh yeah - Leona. I knew I was forgetting someone. Guess that makes 9. Still far less then the 13 Carries Riot's released.

PsiGuard wrote:
Lawl you forgot Teemo.

Eh... idk about Teemo. He's alright early game and in lower ELOs.

Has anyone seen him much anymore in tournaments? Ever since split-pusher Teemo got nerf'd, he's been pretty 'meh'

He's really viable on Dominion though. Camouflage is downright broken on there. You can sit on an allied turret and surprise attack anyone who comes by. :D

Fox Rage wrote:

You forgot Sivir, who is, IMO, the best ranged AD carry in a teamfight.

You're trolling, right? Sometimes, I'm not sure...

Riot does consider Sivir viable ina niche role, but the nerf to make her Boomerang Blade get weaker with each unit it passes through kind of killed her ability to carry.
That was her only saving grace since her auto-attack range is abysmal.
~ Gentlemen Cho'Gath ~
┌──┐
┴──┴
< ಠ,....,ರೃ>

~Undergoing barbaric-Destruction, tasteful-Renovation, and blasphemous-Reconstruction soonâ„¢~
wRAthoFVuLK
<Altruistic Artist>
wRAthoFVuLK's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 3, 2011 1:06am | Report
He is tanky, but by no means a pure tank. A mage tank, yes, just like Swain...not an actual tank. Same with Cho and Ryze.

@Zio

uh...Kog is considered one of the best ranged carried right now...you forget about him?

And, a lot of people are rediscovering Twitch...I actually just got facerolled by some high elo guy who mains twitch (vampyro)

Not so viable in high elo competitive play, but...

corki is still real goot

trist is really awesome late game, just takes a while to farm up.

and urgot is k, I consider him more of an offtank than AD range tho...

so ye Jun is right about all dat stuffs

Thanks to TRUeLM, Plastictree, Scrax, Xiaowiriamu, foggy12, JahGFX, jhoijhoi, msrobinson, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, MissMaw, and me :) for the sigs!
JunSupport
<Veteran>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 3, 2011 1:09am | Report
XnMiller wrote:

Y u no like Singed?

Singed isn't made as a tank. Although we all accept and love him as a tank, he's still technically a tanky-dps.

This is because Singed cannot peel in the middle of a fight. Fling lets him initiate like a boss, but it's 4~5 seconds too long to peel. And none of his other abilities work well enough to zone enemies after he casts Fling.

edit2: As mentioned below in a different part of this post - A true tank needs to be able to initiate, soak damage, peel, and aggro people into attack him/her. Singed can initiate, soak, and aggro; but 3 out of 4 traits do not make a true tank.

The status of tank is a monolithic - That is to say, all the features must be present for the status or label to be applied. Any less then "all of them" will not do.

~ ~ ~ ~

Even Rammus can zone people away with Soaring Slam to peel for allies after using powerball and his taunt - If you stand near Rammus while he ults for the full duration, that's over 1500 damage before defense! Even after magic resist, he's hitting a hefty 500~800 damage; not something you wanna feel the entirety of as a squishy caster or dps-carry.

edit:

He is tanky, but by no means a pure tank. A mage tank, yes, just like Swain...not an actual tank. Same with Cho and Ryze.

Being a tank does not mean you have to build all defense items. Mage Tanks can still count as MAIN tanks.

It means 4 things: (This is Riot's official definition of a tank)
  • Starts and initiates teamfights (usually via CC).
  • Soaks up damage.
  • May peel dangerous attackers off other vulnerable team mates.
  • Presents itself as an attractive target by causing long-term “threat” as the fight continues.

If you don't meet all 4 criteria, then you don't count as a tank.
If you do meet all 4 criteria, then you're, by default, counted as a tank.

Maokai has THE best initiate in the game, Twisted Advance. (Seriously, no initiate is better. Even Unstoppable Force has a chance to miss - Twisted Advance cannot fail once cast) He soaks up damage well with Vengeful Maelstrom. He can peel with Arcane Smash - surprisingly effective as a peel, but considered lackluster by many since the KB range is small. Lastly, he produces longer term threat due to his low cooldown Q, and again, extremely powerful root.

Swain does not properly fill the criteria, although he comes close.
-He can start fights with Nevermove
-He can soak damage and causes long-term threat with Ravenous Flock - "I'M A GIANT BIRD AND I'M HEALING OFF YOUR FLESH, COMEATME!"
-But he cannot peel enemies off allies
Swain is only a good offtank mage.

Cho'Gath DOES fulfull these criteria via Rupture initiate (not the best, obviously), Feral Scream for excellent peels, Vorpal Spikes also act as his long-term threat tool (not the greatest) and Feast to make him impossible to ignore (he gets really big, and you always have to be wary of that true damage mini-nuke) and better at soaking damage due to extra health. (This and his silence are probably his strongest tools)

Ryze only meets one criteria - Initiating fights with CC.
He can't really soak damage - His tanky build on SR is equivalent to life steal on an AD carry. So he's actually still fairly squishy. He can't peel enemies off allies (unless the fight drags out, but who can't peel if the fight drags long enough for their CC to cooldown?). And he does not present himself as an attractive target - He has no long-term threat, just constant thread
~ Gentlemen Cho'Gath ~
┌──┐
┴──┴
< ಠ,....,ರೃ>

DArk trolls
<Member>
DArk trolls's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 3, 2011 1:19am | Report
NExt chamo AD range ...:)
Click REP if i helped you in any way :) thx
Atarios
<Member>
Atarios's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 3, 2011 3:07am | Report
JunSupport wrote:

Maokai has THE best initiate in the game, Twisted Advance.

WHY U NO LIKE Zenith Blade
Thanks Jhoi,Xenasis,JEFFY40HANDS for the Sigs ! :D
Atheb
<Member>
Atheb's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 3, 2011 3:24am | Report
I think the actual point of the threat is if there are not enough AD ranged. There are 13. it doesnt matter if some of them are viable and some not there are 13 ad ranged in this game and i dont consider this a low number.
if only some of them are viable (which is something that can change quickly from patch to patch) its not a problem of creating champs but a problem of balancing.

so summed up:
-i dont see an urgent need to bring more AD carries into the game. Sure it would be nice but that is for any role, its a nice thing but for ad ranged carry there is no current need for MOAR.
- making more things viable is also nice but some champs will always be considered as stronger than others in their role. Therefor its hard to make everything viable

to the current tank discussion. This is the most unclear role in lol. i even think its unclear if you NEED a fulltank. its a nice thing but often an offtank will do.
f.e. you wont need a good initiation on your tank if you have ashe arrow or something to initiate. sure youll need intiation and peeling in your teamfight but you dont need one champ to combine those aspects if other members of your team have skills for doing so.
again im not argueing about the viability of true tanks they are obviously good for a team im just argueing about how urgent the need for a tank is.

Quoted:
WHY U NO LIKE Zenith Blade

i dont even know why you would ask this he says twisted advance is the best initiate because it cant miss once casted. zenith blade can miss
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide