Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Answering questions considering ADC/Support....

Creator: Joxuu November 16, 2014 4:42am
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
lanilwow
<Member>
lanilwow's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 1, 2014 1:49pm | Report
Joxuu

I'm 4 weeks new to this game and level 15. I have not participated in pvp yet. I've been playing bot games and trying to learn and level to 30 before I pvp. I watch lots of Utube, read articles here and else where. Watch Yoonie on Twitch. All to learn support.

I love support. Janna in particular. When I can get an ADC that knows what they are doing we can really apply the pressure. I can turtle the lane against bots when I get a bad ADC (I'm sure players opponents would wipe the floor with me). Of course getting an APC makes things a challenge as well.

Question:

Am I gonna be hosed in pvp? Should I learn another class with some damage output. I was going to work on Sona, but now I am wondering if I should work on Lulu or (soon to be flavor of the month) Brand? Perhaps another?

My preferred play style is cautious build up. Farm, and farm fast and when the time is right strike and strike hard. I'm not a hyper aggressive player.

What are your thoughts and suggestions for this noob to survive in pvp?
Joxuu
<Fabulous>
Joxuu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 1, 2014 3:32pm | Report
Hello there.

My advice for you is to experiment things as much as possible to find what's fun and what works for you. I did the mistake of playing
-->(only)<-- bot games until level 30. Things get somewhat more serious once you start to head towards the max level.

You want experience in playing against others. You get to learn the community (sort of). I can guarantee that you will get your
*** completly whooped sometimes in normal games but that's part of the process.

You can try and you probably should try other roles than only support. As for your support pick: Do experiment different supports
also. Sona is somewhat similiar to Janna and I think you will like the champion. Lulu is a bit more strategic and has different
playstyle but Lulu was among the few really fun supports I used to play in normals when I started.

I wouldn't probably get hyped over Brand support. Fits more in the mid lane.

So my tl;dr advice is to try champions you like in the weekly free champion roulette and experiment things to find out what you like
and what you do not. Then you can start thinking more about what you want to do next.

"A person giving you advice isn't perfect and has their own shortcomings but they may give you the piece that you're missing."
lanilwow
<Member>
lanilwow's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 1, 2014 6:52pm | Report
Thank you for the reply.

I'll go play around with some other champs and positions.

I run Warwick jungle when support gets taken, but against bots all I can do is learn the routes and then team fight at the end. Not much worry about getting ganked in the jungle in those games.

I do like to play Ahri but so many people go mid that I don't get a chance to use her.

Fiora is who I am working on for top.

I think I'll wait till 20 to go play pvp. That way I can run T3 runes.

Thanks again!!!
cocfight
<Member>
cocfight's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 2, 2014 9:47am | Report
So since you are a diamond level ADC player and I am most definitely not I was wondering if you could watch me play and give me some tips on areas I could improve and mistakes that I am making.
Joxuu
<Fabulous>
Joxuu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 2, 2014 2:05pm | Report
I can do that but the problem is that I'm never sure when I'm online or if I'm able to spectate a game.
The best option would be to send a replay of your gameplay if you have one recorded.

"A person giving you advice isn't perfect and has their own shortcomings but they may give you the piece that you're missing."
cocfight
<Member>
cocfight's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 4, 2014 11:11am | Report
Joxuu wrote:
I can do that but the problem is that I'm never sure when I'm online or if I'm able to spectate a game.
The best option would be to send a replay of your gameplay if you have one recorded.

Alright I captured a game this morning and am currently uploading it. I will post it here soon so you can take a look.

(you can watch the video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z85WeKxh6po&feature=youtu.be)
Joxuu
<Fabulous>
Joxuu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 4, 2014 7:33pm | Report
I will take a look at it and post the conclusion here. Probably today or during the weekend. I have things but I'll post it when I can.

Joxuu
<Fabulous>
Joxuu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 6, 2014 1:47am | Report
Probably contains spelling mistakes but bear with me :>

the video review

cocfight
<Member>
cocfight's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 6, 2014 6:57am | Report
Joxuu wrote:
Probably contains spelling mistakes but bear with me :>

the video review

First off, thanks for taking the time to review the video and giving feedback.

However, I do have some follow up questions

-Should I be spending money on wards in lane if my support is doing a poor job of keeping vision? This could potentially put me behind the enemy ADC in items in lane.

-I was not premade with the Sona and not to play the blame game but I did not find her to be very good. If my support is not coordinated with me and going for harass when I know I need to take a cs what should i do?

-I agree my csing was quite poor that game and for some reason my csing on Vayne is not good when I haven't been playing her a ton (probably the low attack damage).

-At (4:46) I had some suspicions that Volibear was still in lane and camping in that bush which is why I was playing farther back. Clearly Sona wasn't on the same page as me, I tried to ping but it was too late. What can I do in that situation as the ADC to avoid Sona getting caught out in a 1v3 like that?

-At (13:50) I didn't even want to take that fight. I saw the Xerath coming down from mid and didn't want to fight a 3v2 so I back off to tower. For some reason Sona stayed pushed up and got caught so I defended her (which is why we were so far apart). Luckily I got that stun on Kalista off of her jump or that could have been ugly. Should I just follow my supports lead no matter the situation or should I just leave a bad positioned support to die?

-At (17:15) I messed that engage up pretty bad. I shouldn't have used everything to get the pick on Morgana but I also had no idea that the Volibear was there. The Flash was stupid on my part, I though Kalista was close enough to the wall for the stun but she wasn't. I also probably could have killed her without the flash. If there was a tri-brush ward we would have known the Volibear was there. Regardless, I should have saved either Condemn or BOTRK for kiting the Volibear.

-At (19:15) I saw that Ryze had used Rune Prison on Sona so I figured we was not longer as big of a threat. Should I still not try to aggresivly pick him off with his Rune Prison down? Also should I use BOTRK even when I don't need it? The Volibear was MIA and it could have really helped if he showed up in that fight.

-At (21:00) I will be the first to admit that I struggle with making good team based decisions in the mid game when my team is losing with poor vision control. I get flashbacks of going mid and getting 5 man tower dove or getting picked off in the river(just kidding but seriously). Also, Dragon was up at this point, would it have been better to take Dragon or mid tower?

-(22:10) was stupid on my part. I figured we were grouping for dragon but only half of my team did. Then I figured if I got a pick on the seemingly out of position Kalista we could get an easy Dragon . I didn't know that their whole team was going to Dragon but regardless it was a miss play by me.

-(26:18) another miss play by me. A lot of the time when I see that my team is just slowly bleeding out and losing the game I try to go for a play to turn the game. This was a really bad idea but what should I be doing if I see my team slowly losing the game by giving up all the objectives for free?

-(29:00) I agree I could have played that better but I don't think we can ignore the fact that Sona completely missed be ult and then got blown up in half a second. Also I realize that Nidalee is mostly a poke champion but I feel like she could have done more to help me out in that situation.

-(33:20) I agree this was a dumb waste of ult. At this point I was on tilt a bit which is an issue I am also trying to work on (if you have any tips please let me know).

-(34:35) I agree that I should have started to go for a Banshee's Veil instead of going for an Infinity Edge at this point. I don't think I would have been able to complete the item by this point and with the amount of cc their team was packing I am not sure it would have turned the fight but I would have had a better chance.

I agree with you that I have an problem with using Tumble too aggressively and I need to work on that. What should I do as an ADC when my team lacks engage or seems unwilling to pull the trigger on a potentially out of position enemy. I realize that I should not be doing this but if no one else is willing to do it then what. Also my csing in that game what quite poor even for me and I am always working on that. I did give to much respect to the enemy bot lane but I have found that one good Morgana Q can win or lose a lane so I am always hesitant against Morgana, I will work on this.
Joxuu
<Fabulous>
Joxuu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 6, 2014 7:29am | Report
cocfight wrote:

-Should I be spending money on wards in lane if my support is doing a poor job of keeping vision? This could potentially put me behind the enemy ADC in items in lane.

// Not really ideal situation. If your support can't afford a ward, you can always buy one. Buying a pink ward now and then is adviced when you have 100 extra gold laying around. Preferably support always has enough ward coverage. Using your totem should be enough. You hung to it a bit too long during laning phase.

-I was not premade with the Sona and not to play the blame game but I did not find her to be very good. If my support is not coordinated with me and going for harass when I know I need to take a cs what should i do?

// You can't really if you're farming. You can try to follow the actions but using retreat pings or saying you want to go for the cs should do it.

-I agree my csing was quite poor that game and for some reason my csing on Vayne is not good when I haven't been playing her a ton (probably the low attack damage).

-At (4:46) I had some suspicions that Volibear was still in lane and camping in that bush which is why I was playing farther back. Clearly Sona wasn't on the same page as me, I tried to ping but it was too late. What can I do in that situation as the ADC to avoid Sona getting caught out in a 1v3 like that?

// There is nothing you can do if the support gets caught like that. You can stop it from happening though by having ward coverage. Totem ward on the second brush earlier would've saved the death.

-At (13:50) I didn't even want to take that fight. I saw the Xerath coming down from mid and didn't want to fight a 3v2 so I back off to tower. For some reason Sona stayed pushed up and got caught so I defended her (which is why we were so far apart). Luckily I got that stun on Kalista off of her jump or that could have been ugly. Should I just follow my supports lead no matter the situation or should I just leave a bad positioned support to die?

// During a team fight, it's better if everyone follows a bad call rather than only half committing to it. Bad call can turn out to be good or at least less worse in the bad. There are some limits to this like it's no point following a support tower diving in lv3.

-At (17:15) I messed that engage up pretty bad. I shouldn't have used everything to get the pick on Morgana but I also had no idea that the Volibear was there. The Flash was stupid on my part, I though Kalista was close enough to the wall for the stun but she wasn't. I also probably could have killed her without the flash. If there was a tri-brush ward we would have known the Volibear was there. Regardless, I should have saved either Condemn or BOTRK for kiting the Volibear.

-At (19:15) I saw that Ryze had used Rune Prison on Sona so I figured we was not longer as big of a threat. Should I still not try to aggresivly pick him off with his Rune Prison down? Also should I use BOTRK even when I don't need it? The Volibear was MIA and it could have really helped if he showed up in that fight.

// I think he was going after you or at least should have gone after you. It may be the case that he just greeded for the Sona kill but usually it's really bad to charge towards a bruiser that has the potential to kill you. Botrk should always be used in a team fight because you most likely won't need it later. You can save it in solo kills if it's a confirmed kill. Using the botrk bad is always better than not using it though.

-At (21:00) I will be the first to admit that I struggle with making good team based decisions in the mid game when my team is losing with poor vision control. I get flashbacks of going mid and getting 5 man tower dove or getting picked off in the river(just kidding but seriously). Also, Dragon was up at this point, would it have been better to take Dragon or mid tower?

// I value towers more than dragon at the moment. The first buff of dragon is really strong but since you had that, I'd say mid tower was the right decision as the enemy couldn't counter it by getting the dragon anyways.

-(22:10) was stupid on my part. I figured we were grouping for dragon but only half of my team did. Then I figured if I got a pick on the seemingly out of position Kalista we could get an easy Dragon . I didn't know that their whole team was going to Dragon but regardless it was a miss play by me.

-(26:18) another miss play by me. A lot of the time when I see that my team is just slowly bleeding out and losing the game I try to go for a play to turn the game. This was a really bad idea but what should I be doing if I see my team slowly losing the game by giving up all the objectives for free?

// You can't really do much alone if your team is not grouping. Using pings and communicating with allies is highly recommended but like in that situation, you were pretty much alone so backing off would've been better.

-(29:00) I agree I could have played that better but I don't think we can ignore the fact that Sona completely missed be ult and then got blown up in half a second. Also I realize that Nidalee is mostly a poke champion but I feel like she could have done more to help me out in that situation.

-(33:20) I agree this was a dumb waste of ult. At this point I was on tilt a bit which is an issue I am also trying to work on (if you have any tips please let me know).

-(34:35) I agree that I should have started to go for a Banshee's Veil instead of going for an Infinity Edge at this point. I don't think I would have been able to complete the item by this point and with the amount of cc their team was packing I am not sure it would have turned the fight but I would have had a better chance.

I agree with you that I have an problem with using Tumble too aggressively and I need to work on that. What should I do as an ADC when my team lacks engage or seems unwilling to pull the trigger on a potentially out of position enemy. I realize that I should not be doing this but if no one else is willing to do it then what. Also my csing in that game what quite poor even for me and I am always working on that. I did give to much respect to the enemy bot lane but I have found that one good Morgana Q can win or lose a lane so I am always hesitant against Morgana, I will work on this.

// Good luck with the possible S5 climb.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide