Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

AD Melee's with Gap Closer Mid

Creator: b3astliness May 17, 2012 8:48pm
b3astliness
<Member>
b3astliness's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 18, 2012 1:48pm | Report

Fizz dropped off because he's too easily beaten mid by ranged APs and DPS casters like Cass or Ryze.

Fizz is a strong counter to Vlad though because of the grievous wounds+ %health DoT he can apply.

As well....Sending a melee AD mid is just asking for them to get zoned/harassed/killed.

If someone wants to go Talon mid, he can "do well" but overall I find him to be all hype as a "mid counter" Cass/Ryze/Gragas all easily shut him down. Overall the concept is there but Talon's kit doesn't allow for him to really trade at all.

Because they are ranged dps is why they get shut down, basically they do a small amount of damage in the short time u gap close and do sever damage to them. IF it was nuke however it would be farm more challenging. Im not saying mid lane gap closer for every mid, but all those caster dps like cass, fizz, swain, malz , and much more

Cred to Keondre for this ^
The Overmyynd
<Editor>
The Overmyynd's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 18, 2012 8:51pm | Report
Searz wrote:

You didn't understand my statement. Read it again.

Nope.... Still not seeing it :(
Hey, if you liked any advice i gave, be sure to +rep me! Oh, and check out my Shaco and Maokail lorecraft in my Blog! I'm a starving artist in need of attention, so please feel free to read, respond, and critique me! Please? Anybody that leaves a comment (good or bad) will receive a +rep!
Embracing
<Crowd Favorite>
Embracing's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 18, 2012 10:58pm | Report
It's all dependent on the champion matchup.

Talon is good mid against slow squishy APS.
Panth is too
Riven, Tryn, Irelia, Jarvan, Wukong have all been placed mid before to counter specific champions.

It's not "OH NEW META MELEE AD'S COUNTER RANGED AP"

Certain champs counter other champs.
NicknameMy
<Editor>
NicknameMy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 19, 2012 1:00am | Report
Kassadin is a meele mid laner with gap closer aswell. And he counters most mages.
b3astliness
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 19, 2012 6:19am | Report
NicknameMy wrote:

Kassadin is a meele mid laner with gap closer aswell. And he counters most mages.

The problem is he is usually not played as an AD mid, just a melee mid.

JEFFY40HANDS
<Altruistic Artist>
JEFFY40HANDS's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 19, 2012 7:15am | Report

Because they are ranged dps is why they get shut down, basically they do a small amount of damage in the short time u gap close and do sever damage to them. IF it was nuke however it would be farm more challenging. Im not saying mid lane gap closer for every mid, but all those caster dps like cass, fizz, swain, malz , and much more

LoL no not "all" of them Gragas is a melee caster. but he has an AoE attack speed debuff, and a spell that grants him additional damage reduction, he is more of a burst mage. I'm starting to think YOU really DON'T know what you're talking about.
albableat
<Member>
albableat's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 19, 2012 12:27pm | Report
Lee Sin mid is really good (Mowen, if you read this, don't speak up plx xDDDD).

Especially vs. really squishy AP's like Karthus. Just for the ******ed burst that AD Lee has.

I've seen a Fiora in mid recently :O She did pretty good, but her team was really terrible, so I couldn't really judge the strength of mid Fiora...
Want to see an in-depth diamond level LeBlanc guide? Come by and check this ;) It's written by Baekstra who is a Diamond LeBlanc main on EUW and being one myself, I can vouch for it 100%!
Arcana3
<Altruistic Artist>
Arcana3's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 19, 2012 1:46pm | Report
Well ANY person can go mid if they have a close gapper, and do fine. For example, Akali at 6, just wreaks people. If you play passively, and just harass with Q, it works out fine. Or Kassidan if you just harass with Q, and just play passively at 6 you just wreak people. But really, those champions are AP, not AD. The only Mid i think is viable that is AD is Talon. I haven't seen pantheon mid so I can't say.
Thanks to everyone that has made me a sig!

Lacorpse JhoiJhoi Missmaw Xiron Xiao Kat CM Nameless Tinystar Me

Feel Free to +rep if I helped you out
b3astliness
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 19, 2012 7:56pm | Report

LoL no not "all" of them Gragas is a melee caster. but he has an AoE attack speed debuff, and a spell that grants him additional damage reduction, he is more of a burst mage. I'm starting to think YOU really DON'T know what you're talking about.

You said it yourself hes a burst mage not a caster dps. AS for the trading concern he doesn't have an aoe attack speed debuff just a damage reduction spell so he can trade perfectly fine and come out on top in most situations.

CasterMaster
<Veteran>
CasterMaster's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 19, 2012 8:22pm | Report

Hey guys, recently I had a troll idea to go on Xin Zhao and go mid. I expected to be rolf stomped by the enemy AP mid. Funny thing is it went quite the opposite way with me face rolling their Fizz. I've also had similar experiences against Malzahar, Kennen(was pretty hard lane, but I am pretty sure it was the player), Cassiopeia, Veigar and Morgana(Also a hard lane barely won this one, I think its the snare). From my experiences anyone with hard cc and decent sustain makes your lane hard when midding as Xin. Basically how viable is a gap closing melee mid with cc ( ex. Irelia, Xin Zhao) against the average AP mid.

Either extremely deadly or weak. From the towers to the minions, if you were to leap in, you'd probably deal some major damage and then get hit by the tower or deal minor damage and not get hit. They don't have consistent sustain (unlike Xin Zhao) and can be quite terrifying. Major Problem: Gets ganked relatively easy and can be zoned if counter-picked. You may say well Fizz is melee, why isn't he going to be ganked easily? He's got Playful / Trickster, Kassadin has Riftwalk at level 6. Before that, anyone can kill him.

Now you've understood where the AD Melee's would go. If they're carries like Master Yi or Tryndamere, they shouldn't be there (unless it's an AP Master Yi which is totally fine since their ultimate damage output is Alpha Strike). Now, we've got to put in account a few things to determine how well they'll do in the lane: Their bursting abilities, their sustain, and their farming abilities. We now look back at Xin Zhao. He's got great bursts, a pretty good sustain ( Challenge, most AP mid champions won't have decent sustain) and farming abilities are good. Now let's say you're up against Brand. If you dash towards him you'll probably end up dealing 150~250 points of attack damage before you get hit by Conflagration and Sear which will end up taking up a good 250 damage. This allows Pillar of Flame to hit as well, meaning you're going to take more damage. AD melee's in mid will definitely have a good zoning potential if their gap closing skill is on a low cool-down.

Why do you think that Pantheon and Talon have gotten popular mid? They do extremely well against casters. Pantheon has one of the best poking harass skills that is targeted in the game; his ability to zone is amazingly powerful and can block towers if he ends up getting too close. Talon is an anti-mage, and can quite easily bring down someone from 75% health to absolutely nothing. Some players will put the top champion in mid. Now we can regard that we can ALSO put the mid champion top. This has been around for a while and the most common champions people do this is with Vladimir, Fizz, Kennen, etc. You can switch their lanes. The top champion will most likely be an AD Melee (bruiser, offtank, etc) and the mid is pretty much going to be the AP carry. These lanes can switch back and forth to maintain advantage in champions and countering roles.

Another example? Let's take a look at Irelia then. If you're one of those people who max Bladesurge first (which I wouldn't know why), you'll probably have a good time fighting in the mid lane. Ionian Fervor is a good way to stop those CC, meaning ganks won't be as extremely effective but will still do. Hiten Style is a good form of sustain and her burst is pretty formidable. Now, we can say Irelia will do fine in the mid lane. Nonetheless, now we have to look at the enemy team to see how well their AP will do against you. I'd say Brand is probably one of THE WORST possible champions to lane up against if you're melee and you're not Fizz. Sear was just meant to be thrown onto melee champions, ranged champions have no problem because they can stand behind minions and safely farm. However, if you're Irelia and you're laning up against Fizz, you'd get an edge on him because he can't fully commit to fighting you. Equilibrium Strike will stop him in his tracks. Which is why you also need to look at not only HOW well they'd do, but also WHO you will be fighting against. Will the person give you a hard time? Better not go mid. Will you give them a hard time? Maybe switch up your lanes.

Now we'll look at your situation. Troll idea to put Xin Zhao mid? I think not. Xin Zhao heavily out-damages Fizz and will make him go cry in a corner while you happily sustain your lane and zone him out of town (this works pretty well with Akali as well). Malzahar before level 6 is pretty much useless against you; he's got no form of CC to stop you from attacking him THUS, allowing you to out-damage, out-sustain and zone him. I'm not sure how you beat the Kennen though, I'd assume he's bad and you were aggressive. Again, out-sustain, out-damage, and zone. Xin Zhao's Audacious Charge is on an OK cool-down, but remember that Battle Cry (which I think you'd activate immediately beforehand or during the charge) will reduce the cool-downs on your skills greatly. This will inevitably help you fight your enemies. Cassiopeia is kind of a joke, I don't know how you won this one, guessing the sustain and that the player was bad. Veigar is an anti-caster, he shouldn't have been a problem to ANYONE considering he needs to farm up with Baleful Strikes to be useful and therefore constantly using up his mana for this purpose. Morgana's Black Shield would absorb Audacious Charge and that's about it, still I'm guessing the player.

So the answer to your question? There really isn't one. Some can be fantastic while others can be pretty much useless. It's up to you to decide if you're going top or mid, and see if you can choose someone that handles one or both of these champions well.

My Elise Guide | My Kassadin Guide
Thanks to jhoijhoi, albableat, Arcana3, GMD and I for the awesome sigs! im a zombie

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide