Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

AD Poppy vs AP Poppy

Creator: Dotter May 29, 2011 2:59am
1 2 3
JunSupport
<Veteran>
JunSupport's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 30, 2011 4:27pm | Report
@Nighthawk:

Youmuu's Ghostblade is the standard equivalent of Deathfire Grasp.
Active that boosts DPS for, cooldown reduction, and damage stats.

Just a matter of knowing how to use it; melees and nukes are played differently.
~ Gentlemen Cho'Gath ~
┌──┐
┴──┴
< ಠ,....,ರೃ>
~ Keeping this sig classy ~

Guides of Mine - Click the... Eh... Come back later

~Undergoing barbaric-Destruction, tasteful-Renovation, and blasphemous-Reconstruction soonâ„¢~
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
Considereth
<Member>
Considereth's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 31, 2011 10:12am | Report
People do not understand how things work on Poppy.

Let me break it down:

First, she doesn't scale well with AP. She is like kennen, you want magic penetration. I don't give a damn if you are going AD with Poppy. You are building Trinity force while going AD correct? Guess what that proc off Trinity force is magic damage when combined with her Q. Poppy isn't an auto attack champion like Master ****in Yi. You are not going to be auto attacking your champions to death, you are going to be E-Q them to death. All your damage, even when going AD, will come from your abilities mostly. If you do not believe me, look at any of the high level Poppy players. What the **** are they running? Magic Peneration because they know. Against high level players, they are not going to let you auto attack with poppy. Poppy is too squishy, she is a hit and run champion even when going AD. Please do not play her like Olaf, Tryndamere, Xin Zhao, etc. o.o

Secondly, take into consideration what makes Poppy so bursty. Its not the damage items but rather the damage increase from her ultimate. Gunblade active is increased, ignite is increased, DFG is increased, madred bloodrazor passive is increased.

Now that we understand this, lets now consider our ultimate. AP poppy doesn't do enough damage without her ultimate, she needs the mark damage increase unless fed. The ultimate is what causes the WTF BURST because of the increase damage. AP Poppy is designed to go into battle with one goal, to kill their carry. After she kills her mark target, her damage output is notably lower. As such, you play AP Poppy if you want to Anti-carry the **** out of someone. Also very viable against extremely squishy teams, as in sona ashe cait comp or something along those lines.

Now for AD Poppy. AD Poppy likes the increase damage from her ultimate but doesn't necessary need it to anti-carry. She has more overall sustainable damage but not as much WTF burst. As such, she cannot anti-carry as hard as AP. AD poppy is easier to play and requires less skill. With AP poppy if you cannot get your stun off on the target you are pretty much ****ed and they will ghost/flash away. Congrats, now you are useless in teamfights. However, with AD poppy you can still do decent damage without the increase damage of the Ultimate because of your sustainable damage.

So which is my favor? Neither, I play what my team needs. I love poppy as a champion, not as a go AP or AD derp derp one track mind. You need to play her according to what is needed at the time.

I have my guide if anyone wants to learn more about Poppy. Hope my comment is insightful, she is currently my favorite champion.

Here are the only damage items you should consider putting on Poppy.

AD -

AP -

Note how I include Deathfire on both builds because it is simply that good on Poppy even when going AD.

Special thanks to Xiaowiriamu for the banner!

The higher your structure is to be, the deeper must be its foundation. - Augustine
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 31, 2011 3:12pm | Report
IE on Poppy?

I'm pretty sure it doesn't work with her Q...
"If someone is ****, you point at them and declare "****!". Because this is the internet." - Serpentiferous

"The Internet: where men are men, women are men, and little girls are the FBI." - ???
Dotter
<Member>
Dotter's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 31, 2011 3:29pm | Report
The AD build seems kinda hybrid to me x)
DFG, TriForce and Hextech all provide AP to some degree. These items give roughly 150 AP, which is a lot for an AD champion xD
Considereth
<Member>
Considereth's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 2, 2011 9:35am | Report
Yeah basically he isn't meant for AD, she is meant for Hybrid/AP. I don't believe she can go straight AD and be effective in high level play.

Trinity force is Hybrid after all.

I only suggest Infinity Edge as a last item once you have enough durability to auto attack a lot, as in banshee + GA or Randuin Omen.

Special thanks to Xiaowiriamu for the banner!

The higher your structure is to be, the deeper must be its foundation. - Augustine
1 2 3

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide