Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Kogma more viable as hybrid than adc?

Creator: Adovid June 8, 2013 11:08pm
1 2
Adovid
<Member>
Adovid's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 8, 2013 11:08pm | Report
I have had pretty good results with this build:
Armor Pen Marks
Flat AP Glyphs and Quints
Armor Seals

Skill Order:
R>W>E>Q

Long Sword2X Health Potion> Bilgewater Cutlass>2X Dagger
Blade of the Ruined King> Berserker's Greaves> Blasting Wand> Ruby Crystal> Guinsoo's Rageblade
That's the Core

Then I get a defensive item off of ruby (I.E. Black Cleaver, Frozen Mallet, Spirit Visage, Runic Bulwark, Warmog's Armor)

Finish with Critical Strike Zeal> Infinity Edge> Phantom Dancer

The Armor Penetration from runes increases the effectiveness of BOTRK against squishy targets and the ability power that adds to Kog's W makes his on-hit very strong at a much cheaper price than critical strike. Add to this the fact that hes getting 20% extra life steal when Ragelbade is activated and it's hard to win a duel vs Kog once he has BOTRK and Rageblade at a decent point in the game.

It has worked for me against Bluebuild Ezreal, Draven, and most typical adcs such as Ashe and Cait-- just got to make sure you manage your mana because this is pretty tight.

Vayne is a problem because she's better at hypercarrying off of her %hp passive with BOTRK, especially when she gain's levels on you.
NicknameMy
<Editor>
NicknameMy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 9, 2013 3:20am | Report
I would wait for the new Nashor's Tooth, as this could make it way more effective to combine with AP.
He is gonna kill you!!!
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 9, 2013 11:23am | Report
Problem with hybrid builds are that you also need hybrid penetration. So basically you would be buying both void and lw.

In the end, any kog'maw shouldnt win a Draven or Cait lane, if you win, thats simply because they are plain bad (or you are just much better yourself)
Meiyjhe
<Member>
Meiyjhe's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 9, 2013 11:30am | Report
They should bring Haunting Staff in the game :O

Cuz my ideas so gut :3
Change is gooooood
Picture by: My valentine; jamespongebob <3
Want to advertise your guide, but don't know where? Click here for an opportunity of a lifetime!
Adovid
<Member>
Adovid's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 10, 2013 12:03am | Report
Haunting Staff is interesting idea. I wounder if you get a last whisper and blood thirstier if it will be too strong on champions like Ezreal who have ad scaling on their magic damage abilities. Also champions like Veigar or Ryze with a manamura I could see becoming a problem. It's hard to anticipate scaling penetration.

I had an idea that was similar but it was just a buff to guinsoo's rageblade that gave 5 armor and magic penetration. There is definitely a need for some kind of penetration for hybrid users. Even that small amount can really effect a champion like Jax or Kogmaw because they attack so fast with mixed damage.

New Nashor's Tooth looks a little bit too strong to come to live. I wouldn't mind playing with it on most champs but I just don't like the thought of Teemo abusing it for even more lane dominance.

I had an idea for Nashor's Tooth that I thought would be really cool: A shield that scales hp, mr and armor off of bonus attack speed when you get first strike in a fight. 60sec cooldown and 5 seconds out of combat if you are hit first. Scales something like 50mr, 50 armor and 50 shield at 2.5 attackspeed and lasts about as long as hexdrinker's shield. The Mr and Armor are removed after the shield is destroyed but any damage source that destroyed the shield still is affected by the Armor and Mr when it splashes over.
Mooninites
<Member>
Mooninites's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 10, 2013 10:14am | Report
Vynertje wrote:

Problem with hybrid builds are that you also need hybrid penetration. So basically you would be buying both void and lw.

In the end, any kog'maw shouldnt win a Draven or Cait lane, if you win, thats simply because they are plain bad (or you are just much better yourself)

you don;t need to build both forms of pen with a hybrid build. The point of hybrid builds are that you do both physical and magic damage and that its impossible to negate the damage. Building two penetration items would be pretty inhibiting

kog'maw does fairly well against caitlyn
Thanks for the Signature MissMaw!
Adovid
<Member>
Adovid's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 12, 2013 4:16am | Report
That would be the case except this game has Runic Bulwark and Guardian Angel. If you get both items you have all of the armor and magic resist you need to survive a hybrid build.
DisturbedFox
<Inhouse Regular>
DisturbedFox's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 12, 2013 4:24am | Report
10/10 this build got me to challenger in NO TIME! would use again
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2013 12:26am | Report
Physical damage builds give high DPS and the stats scale with each other quite well. So if you have 250 AD and you get a Phantom Dancer and Last Whisper, your damage skyrockets as opposed to just buying those items without accompanying damage items. This means AD builds need a lot of items to compliment each other in order to be effective.

Magical damage items generally give better burst or poke (in this case poke) and are most effective when you have a lot of AP along with Void Staff and Rabadon's Deathcap.

Point being, hybrid builds don't have complimentary items. There aren't any items in the game that reward you for building both AP and AD, but there are items that reward you for building just one of these stats. Hybrid builds don't have itemization synergy. If you want to DPS like an ADC, you might as well build AD because you're going to have more success with that. If you want your spells to hit hard, you might as well build full AP because that's going to be more effective.

Same deal with hybrid ezreal. Trying to fill two roles at once just means you do neither of them well.
Thanks to Hoppermh for the sig!
DarkPercy
<Member>
DarkPercy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2013 9:30am | Report
Some stats scale with each other while some other simply don't. I'll create some kind of example with simple numbers to make it easy to understand. I'll make a little list of stats with numbers after them to show how much of that stat you bought. Let's say you have 20 points to spend into stats:

Normal ADC Kog'Maw:
AD: 5
Crit Chance: 5
Attack Speed: 6
Armor Pen: 4

AP: 0
Magic Pen: 0

5+5+6+4 = 20 points spent

So we'd say his DPS is: 5*5*6*4 + 0*0 = 600 Effective Percy units per second

Now, this is what an hybrid build would look like:
AD: 3
Crit chance: 2
Attack Speed: 6
Armor Pen: 2

AP: 5
Magic Pen: 2

3+2+6+2+5+2 = 20 points spent

His DPS is: 3*2*6*2 + 5*2 = 72 + 10 = 82 Percy units per second

What happened? In both cases I spent the same amount of gold (20 points) but in the second case the DPS is ridiculously lower? This is because AD doesn't work with AP. Magic Pen doesn't work with Crit chance, etc. There are many stats that don't love each other in an hybrid build.

I hope this weird example wasn't too confusing and helped you understand why Hybrid builds tend to suck in general.

Thanks to TinyStar for the sig :3
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide