Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

Lux, RoA?

Creator: LaFlooz November 20, 2011 6:00pm
30 posts - page 2 of 3
TheWeekndOVOXO
<Member>
TheWeekndOVOXO's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 20, 2011 11:16pm | Report
astrolia wrote:

I second astrolia on the recent post.

Well said and well explained.
(Discontinued)
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 21, 2011 12:04am | Report
astrolia wrote:

Do you reach full build in 13 minutes? No? I don't either. Not only does KLP pay for itself, you're basically getting free AP and a bit of gold flow in the early game when your farming is ****py (still in last-hitting phase). Should the enemy team stack health to "counter" you, you can simply do a quick upgrade and BAM! You have a DFG (which isn't a bad item on Lux anyway, just a bit short range). If you really don't want KLP, just get another Doran's Ring. I do it all the time.

I can probably count the number of AP carries with multiple movement CCs on one hand. With an AoE slow and a skillshot snare, Lux can manipulate and kite enemy champions extremely easily, especially if they're melee. Illumination requires you to enter autoattack range to burn the proc. Are you telling me that you NEVER get a single proc off in an entire game? You do? Well then, you're safer than you thought. Lux's AA range is a respectable 550 anyway. That's the same range as Corki and Vayne.

If someone on the enemy team has base 30 MR by the end of the game, YOU WILL SMOKE THEM IN TWO SPELLS! Seriously, who in their right mind wouldn't build a single MR item by the end of the game? That 20 mPen does almost nothing after you have Void Staff, so you might as well opt for a more useful stat. Any champion that doesn't get a single point of MR to counter you is just cannon fodder.

You can't have blue buff and Elixir of Brilliance up all the time. For those times that you don't, CDR boots will help keep your cooldowns low. Like I said, it's an option. Merc treads or speedier boots are also fine. You can even keep sorc shoes if you want.

I don't know why you two are trying so hard to pick apart my build. I provided it as a background to why I don't use tanky items like RoA and Rylai's on Lux and a few other champions. Your criticism has not contributed to the discussion at all.
Thanks to The_Nameless_Bard for the sig!
IceCreamy
<Veteran>
IceCreamy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 21, 2011 12:12am | Report
There are 4 terrible items on Lux.

1. Rod of Ages. It's hell expensive for what it gives, plus you don't need the survivability because you are always in the back, and if the enemy comes at you you can Flash and/or Light Binding and move away.
2. Rylai's Crystal Scepter. The slow is completely useless, and you don't need the survivability (as said earlier).
3. Ionian Boots of Lucidity. There are better boots ( Sorcerer's Shoes), and better CDR items ( Morello's Evil Tome). I would even rather buy Frozen Heart or even Deathfire Grasp...
4. Archangel's Staff. You can never ever stack the passive (doesn't even work in 50 mins!), but you can consider to buy it as last item because of the extra mana/mana regen/AP passive.

I usually pick up Philosopher's Stone early, Kage's Lucky Pick if I don't get enough gold income. My build looks very much like Psiguard's, except that I buy Morello's Evil Tome, so your AP carry can get the blue buff all the time. Lux is NOT a carry!

DuffTime wrote:
ok ok plz carry me omg
i was only waiting for you to ask

Temzilla wrote:
Too hot to be icecream.

Luther3000 wrote:
He looks like a hair gel advert on legs

Toshabi wrote:
Icecreamy, with hair as slick and smooth as the ocean waves of Cocobana
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 21, 2011 12:17am | Report
IceCreamy wrote:

There are 4 terrible items on Lux.

1. Rod of Ages. It's hell expensive for what it gives, plus you don't need the survivability because you are always in the back, and if the enemy comes at you you can Flash and/or Light Binding and move away.
2. Rylai's Crystal Scepter. The slow is completely useless, and you don't need the survivability (as said earlier).
3. Ionian Boots of Lucidity. There are better boots ( Sorcerer's Shoes), and better CDR items ( Morello's Evil Tome). I would even rather buy Frozen Heart or even Deathfire Grasp...
4. Archangel's Staff. You can never ever stack the passive (doesn't even work in 50 mins!), but you can consider to buy it as last item because of the extra mana/mana regen/AP passive.

I usually pick up Philosopher's Stone early, Kage's Lucky Pick if I don't get enough gold income. My build looks very much like Psiguard's, except that I buy Morello's Evil Tome, so your AP carry can get the blue buff all the time. Lux is NOT a carry!

Pretty much agreed, though sorc's kinda suck after Void Staff, so you can switch it out then. I don't like morello's simply because it takes up a non-boots item slot. It's not bad though.

I probably should have made it clear that I do play Lux as a carry (suck it IceCreamy :P ). I take the place of an AP carry in mid lane and I take blue buff priority. Playing lux as a support is an entirely different matter, which would not fit my build very well at all.
Thanks to Jovy for the sig!
IceCreamy
<Veteran>
IceCreamy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 21, 2011 12:29am | Report
I do agree Sorcs/Void is a ****py combo. Usually the game ends in a win for me by the time I finish Hourglass/Lich :P

But Lux is a terrible carry. It's just impossible to carry your team if you are always in the back like a glass cannon. Also the shield just doesn't fit in with the concept of carry.

What I usually do is sidelane, and try to get my lanemate fed as hell. It's quite easy considering the damage I deal, all the lanemate has to do (I have friends who play Talon and Caitlyn) is get the last hit.

If I end up in mid, I usually can't get a kill in my lane simply because they deal more damage then me, as they have 4 attack spells instead of 3 attack and 1 defensive spell I have. I'm usually roaming around, I don't hesitate to buy Mobility Boots when I'm in mid. Just ganking all over the place, it's fun :)

DuffTime wrote:
ok ok plz carry me omg

Temzilla wrote:
Too hot to be icecream.

Luther3000 wrote:

Toshabi wrote:
Pølsemanden
<Member>
Pølsemanden's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 21, 2011 1:12am | Report
Lux is more of a carry than zilean IMO.

And can both be played carry style with LOOADS of AP

And also ap-supportish with aura items and stuff. She even has a "semi"-clairvoyance Which compliments support. She's very well paired as a carry where she goes mid with a zil support in bot since that is where u will have 2 half ap carries/half supports which fullfills a team. It rapes i'm just saying ^^

RoA is not my favourite kind of item as lux, cuz i like to "bait" my opponents to run for me. If enemy has an irelia or another dash tanky-dps one could consider it. But in any other situation RoA just doesn't compliment a carry lux's playstyle
Ty MM and Blood for the sigs :3 | Rammus is comming back - heard it here first!

"Carrying"-guide | My reviewservice
Beeswarm17
<Member>
Beeswarm17's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 23, 2011 8:00pm | Report
IceCreamy wrote:

But Lux is a terrible carry. It's just impossible to carry your team if you are always in the back like a glass cannon. Also the shield just doesn't fit in with the concept of carry.

I run Morgana as a carry. Her shield helps me carry harder. Self-cast shield means there's no stopping my burst. :P

Just because she has a shield doesn't mean she can't carry. It just adds team utility.
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 23, 2011 8:12pm | Report
Rod of Ages is a good choice if you're getting harassed hard, and it's a far better choice than a rylai's as a core item.

Knowing when you need an item like that makes you a smart player not a bad one. Getting one if you need it may completely change how your game is going.

Ionian's are fine, so are Sorc's. That's entirely about playstyle imo.
IceCreamy
<Veteran>
IceCreamy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 24, 2011 2:00am | Report
Beeswarm17 wrote:

I run Morgana as a carry. Her shield helps me carry harder. Self-cast shield means there's no stopping my burst. :P

Just because she has a shield doesn't mean she can't carry. It just adds team utility.

But Morgana needs way more defense, because her ult puts her in the middle of their team. And Morgana's shield is different, is also protects you from negative spell effects while Lux' shield only negates a little bit of damage.

DuffTime wrote:
ok ok plz carry me omg

Temzilla wrote:
Too hot to be icecream.

Luther3000 wrote:

Toshabi wrote:
IceCreamy
<Veteran>
IceCreamy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 24, 2011 2:04am | Report

Rod of Ages is a good choice if you're getting harassed hard, and it's a far better choice than a rylai's as a core item.

Knowing when you need an item like that makes you a smart player not a bad one. Getting one if you need it may completely change how your game is going.

Ionian's are fine, so are Sorc's. That's entirely about playstyle imo.

If you are getting harassed hard, you are doing something wrong :P Unless they have some annoying Akali/Kassadin who keeps jumping at you, but I heard Abyssal Mask isn't bad... :)

But yeah, the key to being good at this game is adapting, and positioning.

DuffTime wrote:
ok ok plz carry me omg

Temzilla wrote:
Too hot to be icecream.

Luther3000 wrote:

Toshabi wrote:

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide