Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Soviet's Guide shredding services.

Creator: Totallynotn00b June 28, 2012 2:30am
Kazega
<Member>
Kazega's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 26, 2012 3:49pm | Report
Your name (Prefered way of addressing you, within reason.): Kaz or Kazega.

Link to your guide : [Katarina: Playing with Knives

Any specific points that I should look at?: I am terrible at profreading my own materials. I expect that several grammar, spelling, and otherwise jsut plain wrong information is there.

Why should i review your guide?: I just restarted it. I might have missed some outdated information while I transcribed bits from one of my previous guides

Why do you want your guide reviewed? : Mostly to see what I lost when I went on Hiatus a while back.

Are you wasting my time? I should hope not. I am a quality Katarina Player

Have you read the reviews i give? No, I haven't. But that doesn't matter to me. I trust that you will be fair and honest.

Are you prepared for the same level of response? I am prepared to defend any position I need to defend if that is what you are asking.

astrolia
<Fabulous>
astrolia's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 26, 2012 10:50pm | Report
conclusions:

I had to nitpick a fair amount to get anything at all to say.
For the most part, it's absolutely fine.
Maybe i'm being a bit harsh, but hey, I think i sort of have a reputation now.
Result: It's good. +1

Thanks for the review. A bunch of stuff like the usage of status effect and contradiction about mana regen were consistency issues from my versions, and the mana cost thing was from long ago before they even adjusted her mana costs haha.

As for the Merc Treads thing: Cho also has silence, and Swain was fairly fed and more or less flashing into our squishies. :)
hi embracing. yes i play ff14 now.
H4xDefender
<Veteran>
H4xDefender's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 26, 2012 10:53pm | Report
Your name H4xDefender
Link to your guide : http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/build/competitive-solo-top-jax-206488
Any specific points that I should look at?: I know it isn't pretty. Critique everything else.
Why should i review your guide?: Its a strong jax build.
Why do you want your guide reviewed? : I want to improve my guide.
Are you wasting my time? I hope not.
Have you read the reviews i give? Yup this is round 2 for me.
Are you prepared for the same level of response? Yap.
Totallynotn00b
<Guide Critic>
Totallynotn00b's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 27, 2012 9:43pm | Report

Im on holiday folks, you know.

So... Ladies and gentlemen. I present to you a teaser of what's coming.

... IM ON HOLIDAY DAMNITZOR.

But oh well. on with the show.

Wait, no, scratch that. Some foreword.
You know how I write in the first post, "Don't come to me unless your guide is good, else you will be savaged?" Well. I was expecting rage-inducing gold when this guy shows up and requests that I not downvote him before he had a chance to change stuff. I mean... if he knew it wasn't good enough and the possibility was there that i would -1 it, why come to me?

Cardinal sin 2: You're writing !@"£#

Kog'Maw in my opinion right now is extremely over-powered. If he gets to continuously chain his attacks on you, no matter how tanky you are, you're screwed.

By the same logic, all AD carries are OP. This manages the impossible - stating irrelevancies (why are you targetting the tank?), outright opinion (he's op), not explaining it (if it counts as an explanation, by god is it a !"£@: one), overselling (OMG GIVE ME TIME AND I CAN KEEL STUFFZ), all in less than two lines of text. And this is just the intro. Like i said, I am expecting GREAT things

He doesn't have much of a skill-cap but it does help if you can aim your ultimate.

What the ~@!"£! is this? Are you seriously telling me you're treating his ultimate as some sort of add-on side skill that's unimportant?

He can face-roll almost anyone within a couple of hits and even after he dies he can deal AoE Pure Damage. This makes him an extremely strong AD Carry.

What? What exactly makes this connection stick? the fact that within a couple of hits they die? by that logic Jax is a good AD carry. Ok, is it the AoE Pure damage? (It's true damage. who the heck says pure damage?) He's an "extremely strong" ad carry because he gets to blow up? WHAT?!??!

No immediate burst damage/poke other than ult.

Wtf is "immediate burst damage"? A spell with no cast and travel time?
What poke in the game is instant?
Let's assume you actually mean he has no method of fast-damage. In which case, you're still ******** wrong. If anything, his ult is the slowest of all his abilities!

Greater Seal of Armor This however is more useful for Junglers and not that suitable for lane.

THE TOP LANE HAS IT ALL WRONG!!!
I would have forgiven you (BRB CHOKING) if you had said it wasn't good on koggy since he isn't jungling, since at least then it wouldn't be wrong, just mildly irrelevant. As you've described junglers, you're not talking about just koggy. And therefore, by lane, you mean "all" lanes. As such, you, my good sir, are talking "£$"!£@

Clarity: The best choice for AP Kog'Maw as you really do have mana problems early game to mid game. This can help you stay in lane forever and restores a large amount of mana on a relatively low Cooldown

Magically during late game when you're spewing Living Artillery everywhere you have no mana issues?
3 minutes is not a low cooldown. And what, that magic thing called health is going to not be an issue somehow? What the heck is this?
Honestly. Clarity is a !"£@ spell. If you need to use it, LEARN TO PLAY manage your mana better

Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist: You just need the Magic Resist. I don't see any other good alternative for Glyphs.

Why do I need the MR?
Why can't I take AS glyphs? Or anything else?
WHY ARE THERE NO EXPLANATIONS?!?!

However, Ignite is more useful on Mages to secure kills when they have cooldowns, in your case you use auto-attacks to kill.

What, you don't count as a mage when you're AP? You think mages like Ryze Cassiopeia will magically hold off on Ignite because they have spells up? You use Ignite to freaking kill stuff, NOT because you have nothing left in your arsenal to do damage. seriously. What are you playing?

Cardinal sin 3: You're writing opinion

Kog'Maw in my opinion right now is extremely over-powered.

Even states as such. Nothing wrong with opinion per se - but it requires two things.
1) That it's explained. Your "explanation", is quite frankly [CENSORED]
2) That preferably, it's right. Calling koggy not just op, but extremely so.... yeah. good luck with that.

Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist: You just need the Magic Resist. I don't see any other good alternative for Glyphs.

Why do I need the MR?
Why can't I take AS glyphs? Or anything else?

greater mark of desolation Greater Mark of Attack Damage Best Option is to take Half and Half

Why?

Cardinal sin 4: You're contradicting yourself

Oh these are always fun. not.

the thing with Kog'Maw is that he doesn't have any good poke or burst (other than living artillerry but that costs a lot of mana)

Then IN THE SAME BLEEDING SECTION

He has the capabilities to burst down entire teams with his powerful AoE damage

NB: Living artillery isn't his only AoE. bioarcane barrage can easily be used to poke people in lane. Regardess of AD or AP, your statements don't refer to that. they refer to his basic skill set. Ergo, it's wrong .

all his damage comes from Auto-Attacks.

Yet you can burst people somehow?
Or, if you were exclusively referring to your non-ap build, you're still wrong, as you have a Madred's Bloodrazor

Cardinal sin 5: Irrelevancies galore

You will be able to not just kill squishies but also tanks.

So can anyone.

Inflexible build

You don't discuss the alternatives for pretty much anything .
WHY are you not choosing anything else? Why is your choice better?

Im sorry guys. I'm on holiday.
I never thought I would do this, but i'm half way through the guide and i am bloody sick of it already.
Errors, lack of explanations, contradictions... the only thing this guide doesn't have are spelling errors galore.
no, I'm done.

Quite frankly, you've got the dubious honour of a new rank of guide i made just for you.
It's Unsalvagable
SkullzX
<Member>
SkullzX's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 28, 2012 2:09am | Report
^ I almost literally pissed myself laughing XD. I am a huge fan of the random rage at little things...I remember reviewing this guide actually it, was pretty good in some parts other parts lacking a little...you caught some things I never even relized like what was said about ignite(maybe that was added later but, I never noticed that they said it was only for mages ect). Still I think you went a tad harsher on this guide then most other XD like the guide atleast explains the basics of playing kog (never played kog in my life thats what im basing the basics off of telling me how to play him). Quick personal question when are you off vacation/holiday thingy I wanted to play a few league games with you(assuming you are on NA server). WHY YOU MIGHT ASK well 1. I find your raging reviews are funny so I SHOULD get a kick out of your IN GAME RAGE 2. you seem to be a decent player knowledge wise so I wanted to see how good you actually are 3. trying to actually play with the moba community since I found out about a week and a tad ago there is a moba chat in league -___- seriously promote that more people I'v been here for months and just found out like a week or 2 ago.
Totallynotn00b
<Guide Critic>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 28, 2012 3:22am | Report
Blah.

I didn't vote in either direction as he requested at least.

<.<

eu west.
SkullzX
<Member>
SkullzX's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 28, 2012 10:30am | Report
Dammit NA :(. WANTED TO SEE YOU RAGE AT NOOBS! NOOOOOO!
Totallynotn00b
<Guide Critic>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 30, 2012 6:40am | Report

Welp. First of all.

YOU ARE PLAYING A GAME. YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO HAVE FUN

WHAT? WHAT IS THIS "FUN" YOU SPEAK OF?
Ahem. No, good point. Points to you.

Anyway. On with the show.

There's nothing overly wrong with the guide.
But at the same time, there's nothing overly right about it either, that makes it say "I'm the best guide, and here's proof."

I.e, Your abilities - you state what each does... and then a little bit more info after that. There's no real intricacy that would shout "Knowledge gained after 400 games with kat"

In addition:

Summoner spells... you run through several, and then don't really formulate a final argument about it.

Death Lotus you could just state hard CC. But since you didn't, you went for the harder way of listing them all out... and then forget knock-backs.

Since I already run Movment Quintessences, the Swiftness mastery isn't needed at all

Because...? You feel you're fast enough? In which case, I could argue why not take the swiftness masteries, and switch your quints for something else? Or, why not run around even faster?

It builds from Kage's Lucky Pick, which is useful if you start falling behind your opponent for any reason

I honestly think this is rubbish, and it's more likely to be the reverse - you're ahead of your opponnent. Else, you're setting yourself up to go "squish" that much easier. But ah well.

You don't discuss why you don't take other items - For example, you state: These are the only shoes for Katarina. They help her kill with the added spell pen that they provide and that's all there is to it.
Why not CDR? Why not mobility? One could argue, if they wanted to, that they help her kill stuff - faster rotation, or just getting to a side-lane ganking opportunity faster. If you meant it gives her more burst ... then why didn't you spell it out that way?

Yes, you talk a bit about CDR, and how it's moot with voracity... but voracity depends on you, or your team, killing people . so... for that time in lane, one can ignore the benefits of CDR? Or, TL;DR, why do you think they should take the risk that their laning power is strong enough that they'll be a relevant force later on to abuse this passive?

An extreme example. Let's say "I don't need AP items on Veigar, as Baleful Strike gives me all the AP i'll need". In essence, both the arguments are the same - At some point in the future of the game I can rely on X to be abusable. The weakness is the same. no explanation in why you feel you would be "ok" til that point.

Zhonya's Hourglass This is the second best AP item in the game.

Stacked Mejai's says hi.

Quicksilver Sash While stuns and snares don't last a such a long time long time that it doesn't warrant this item

Event Horizon. Veigar says hi.

Summoner's rift opening: A bit wall-o-texty.

Your explanation for Hextech Gunblade is also a tad iffy. Yes, death lotus has a ratio of 3 damage per AD... so what? It has a 1.75 ratio for AP. You seem to forget the cost:damage ratio.

I.e:

BF sword: +45 ad - + 135 damage
needlessly large: +80 AP. +140 damage.

This is before the fact that more of Kat's skills scale off AP than AD.

Conclusions:
Erm. It's... ok
Wall-of-texty in gameplay explanations,
Some item explanations i don't particularly agree with,
Nothing said about combinations. Or killing your lane opponent in general.
Aka, you've got areas to improve.
Kazega
<Member>
Kazega's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 30, 2012 10:34am | Report
Valid points. I do have one thing to say though.....

YOUR MOM!!!

no not really I'm sure your mom is a nice lady and loves you very much. Anyway I will work on some of this and bring it back. as for some specific answers. The main point I was driving for on Hextech Gunblade was that the Recipe total is more cost effective than several other items. The only item that really surpasses it damage wise right out of the gate is Rabadon's Deathcap (245-RDC vs 242-HTGB) before its passive, and that's by a few points of damage....

maybe I should have jsut said that....

I don't count a stacked Mejai's either. It takes a while ot get to that point and it is too easy to either take the stacks away or just not ge there period.

There is always work to be done on these. I can see what specifically now so I am not lost in the dark. I appreciate your input. +Rep'd
astrolia
<Fabulous>
astrolia's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 30, 2012 12:50pm | Report
Due to the ratio change on Bouncing Blades, Katarina benefits more from saving the Hextech Gunblade upgrade until last and going for the Rabadon's Deathcap as her first big item. She can practically build an entire Void Staff with the amount of gold it costs to upgrade Hextech Revolver to Hextech Gunblade...
hi embracing. yes i play ff14 now.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide