Warwick Build Guide by Polarshift
[10.21] WARWICK THE UNCAGED WRATH [JG/TOP] [VERY IN-DEPTH]By Polarshift | Updated on October 17, 2020
Your votes and comments encourage our guide authors to continue
creating helpful guides for the League of Legends community.
Runes: Warwick Jungle Standard
+10% Attack Speed
+9 Adaptive (5.4 AD or 9 AP)
+10% Attack Speed
+9 Adaptive (5.4 AD or 9 AP)
+10% Attack Speed
+9 Adaptive (5.4 AD or 9 AP)
Ability Order Warwick Jungle
Threats & Synergies
Your kit counters his passive which is what he relies on the most as a champion. Olaf gets more attack speed the lower he gets; but so do you, but you are even stronger!
He can never ever contest you. Try to double scuttle, run him down in the jungle and invade him if you have priority or are strong enough to kill mulitple enemies even if they collapse on you.
Abuse him early, he's really weak before his first back. His major powerspike is his lv 2 ultimate aka LVL 11.
Dodge his damage by using Q through him when he loads his own Q. You won't get stunned and he will take a lot of damage from you instead.
Just dodge his knockup and you should definitely win this, unless you got poked a lot already. You outscale him in 1v1's so you can decide to take it slowly and scale a bit. Remember that he heals just like you if you give him the time.
Careful for her invades and early ganks. Warn your team to ward at 2.35 and maybe even countergank by tracking where she starts. When fighting, you want to dodge her cocoon and E her damage after it; if you can't dodge the cocoon, use your before it hits instead.
Fast guy, but you can Q along with his dash and fear him if he ever tries to escape. He cant burst you down since you should have your E activated the moment he tries to E-Q you. Be careful of W's out of vision and him going back to his R, however you can deny his ult by ulting him yourself when he's in kill range.
Remember that you can see her with your W passive if shes ever low. Wait out her charm if you're unconfident and she shouldn't be able to win a battle against you. Since you have way more pressure early, use it to your advantage. Tell your team to place pinks and oracle lense wisely.
You win early duels hard! He gets harder to fight later in the game because he might run conqueror and Ignite. If he doesn't run Ignite this should be an easy matchup.
Don't attack him with his Counterstrike up, because that will give him more damage on his ability. Use your E at around the same time he starts his counterstrike so he can't get free damage off when you're stunned. You are way stronger early game so don't be afraid to fight.
Freeze against this guy and run him down when he greeds for cs early. If you let him stack by letting him freeze instead you're not gonna have a fun time after he gets some stacks and his ultimate.
Abuse him early, he should never be able to kill you if you trade well. You won't be able to kill him when he gets a bit more tanky.
Get behind his Q or E to not take the damage. You should win till his first item if you're even. However, this champion is still broken into melee bruisers sadly, especially because of Conqueror and his passive.
He is one of the stronger champions early game, but you should outduel him if you play it right. Use your E as soon as you notice he used his Q/hail of blades and time your Q with his knock-up (by holding it.)
Try not to facecheck bushes without vision. If he manages to get the jump on you try to reduce the damage of his empowered Q and use the Last Stand keystone to heal more when you're low.
When he uses his dash on you press E to deny the damage and stay in the inner side of his circle.
This guy is really strong and stacks conqueror crazy fast. He outscales you hard after the midgame if you didn't stomp him yet. Fortunately, he is very easy to gank like a lot of toplaners. His Q cancels your ultimate.
You should be able to win early by using Q correctly when he uses his Q so you don't get a stack on you and less damage. I suggest chunking him a bit first before an all-in, because he wins almost everything after he gets his 5 stacks. After level 6 you can try to fight him the same way and R him just before you get into his execute range so you heal back up!
A good Graves can still try to kite you out, but you counter him by your passive magic damage, cc, healing, damage reduction and ultimate. If you can stick on him you win every fight till around lvl 11, ofcourse this is way easier in elos till around Diamond. Try to go along with his E with your own Q to win this fight.
Very strong early. Dodge her stuns, take small trades early and care for her 5 stacks. You should win this matchup post level 3. Neat little trick is denying her Q cooldown with your fear or ultimate by cancelling her mid-dash.
You have the advantage in this matchup since you have your Q, Last Stand and damage reduction ability. Still, try to dodge his Q and fear him while hes midair on his Q if he hits it and he won't be able to get the damage off!
If you can stick on him you win, otherwise you'll just get poked all laning phase.
Try to dodge his E. You stomp him early in the game.
Don't fight him when he has his fury, that's when hes the most dangerous. Take small trades instead and ask for a good gank. Personally I hate this matchup, but if you can deny him the stacking of his fury you win.
He has pretty low range so if he ever overextends he should miss cs or die.
Keep the wave in the middle or to your side and Q him whenever he tries to go for a trade.
He can't outdamage your healing. Try to dodge his sword and dash and he shouldn't be able to chunk you. Freeze the lane as always, since hes pretty gankable. CC him to deny his ultimate!
Since you're pretty immobile and she has her W - Miasma you won't be able to get close to her. She does have mana issues before backing so keep that in mind when you want to take a jungle fight.
Keep the wave in the middle or to your side and Q her whenever she tries to go for a trade. Be careful of how fast she can actually stack her conqueror.
Keep the wave in the middle or to your side and Q her whenever she tries to go for a trade. A bit harder to execute than other strong AD laners, since she heals herself too.
Broken champion. Cleaver, conqueror+DD abuser :)
Even more broken than you in duels with Lethal Tempo :(
Slows your attack speed and is designed to be strong against AD champions. It will be hard to kill him, even early, unless he spends his mana like a madman. He also has great gank setup and disengage with his Q.
His Q applies antiheal and he's quite strong and tanky. It will be hard to win any fights if he hits his hook on you.
Quite annoying to play against unless he walks into your melee range. He will slow you with his Q and poke you with his E.
You can't get close to him but he should also not be able to kill you. He doesn't win 1v1's if you ever get on him, but he outperforms you in the sidelane and in teamfights.
Not fun to play against, but you can Q through him or minions to get out of his cage; otherwise you'll have to hit it quite a few times especially later in the game. He doesn't win early fights if his minions arent up. He's dangerous when his maiden is up; his ult does % maximum health every 2 seconds. His E skillshot does % current health damage and makes his minions jump to you which all take one basic to kill.
Champion designed for kiting. Not fun to play against as a melee toplaner. If he ever blows his jump to get close on you for some reason he won't have any escapes left (if he doesn't have fury that is.)
Champion designed for harassment and kiting. Not fun to play against as a melee toplaner.
Champion designed for kiting. Not fun to play against as a melee toplaner since she also has her root on top of being ranged. She doesn't have extreme kill pressure like other kite champions on you though, since she still is a caster.
Champion designed for kiting. Not fun to play against as a melee toplaner since he also has his stun on top of being ranged. His teamfighting is way superior to yours and he can cancel your R with his stuns.
Champion designed for kiting. Not fun to play against as a melee toplaner. She will also outroam you hard. If you are ever gonna engage on her make sure she doesn't have her dash.
Will be updated soon.
Slows enemies surround you and gives you enormous shields.
Shields, extra AD for free and peeling ability.
Heals you, gives you a slow and extra damage on your basic attacks and can also provide some peeling for you.
Since you rely on basic attacks proccing his passive will be easy. He will also protect you from ranged attacks which you struggle against.
Can chain cc with you and set up ganks for you.
Great gank setups.
Can chain cc with you, set up ganks for you and lantern you in from all the way out of vision.
Can chain cc with you and for you, also gives some shielding.
Can chain cc with you and set up ganks for you.
This champion works great with Warwick since Bard players roam a lot and can help you invade.
He can put bombs on you, have you stay in the fight longer and give you movement speed.
This champion works on every single champion in the game. She will give you extra damage, peel and a lot of heals.
Anything with cc will help you out a lot since that will allow you to gank more often and deal more damage with them.
Champion Build Guide
Please upvote the guide if you liked it so more people get to see it! Join my Discord community server if you have any more questions or would like to chill and be updated for more guides on League of Legends: https://discord.gg/dp64fR9
+ When to pick Warwick.
+ Ability sequence, rune setups and smite choice.
+ In-Depth Itemization. Read the notes on the builds too.
+ Different types of jungle pathing.
+ Combo's and tricks.
+ Toplane Warwick.
+ Warwick has a great and healthy jungle clear.
+ Among the highest tempo champions in the game.
+ Has a lot of mobility, tankiness and repositioning ability.
+ Great at skirmishing and can sometimes even pull off 1v3's!
+ Warwick does objectives really fast, because his passive also works on monsters!
+ Easy to play and very strong when played correctly, however that doesn't mean that he's not rewarding to master!
- Might take you some time to get used to the attack speed.
- Your multi-camp clear is bad before you have your Tiamat.
- Grievous wounds counter Warwick pretty hard before he builds any tank items. Magic Resist also works well against him.
- Enemies can block your ultimate and you have a hard time playing against champions with a lot of peel or kiting ability.
If your team needs some pressure or early-game damage Warwick is definitely the way to go for your teamcomp. He does not bring a lot of CC and falls of later in the game, but will definitely allow your team to survive the early game since he can pressure the map almost on his own.
Since Warwick relies on his basic attacks for most of his damage, any CC abilities used on him heavily reduces his damage output. This is also the case if you are playing against ranged champions who excel at kiting since you can't stick close to them properly.
Warwick is good vs burst champions since he can time his damage reduction ability to reduce damage taken in a short span of time (burst) and heal the health he lost back with Q.
Furthermore, although champions like Katarina do not necessarily counter Warwick, remember that Warwick is way less effective when he can't regain the health he lost in a fight since he is not that tanky at all without all the healing embedded in his kit.
You should definitely try to pick Warwick up if you're new to the game since this champion is easy to play but really rewarding to learn and master. He is even played in the higher ranks by some dedicated one-tricks that can carry the game by theirselves.
We max Q first for the dueling ability in toplane. It will allow you to sustain yourself through the laning phase and take short trades. W is not as useful since you won't play for your team (movement speed) but for yourself in the toplane. Another downside is that the enemy needs to already be low for it to be active at all.
We max W first for the passive movement speed and execute damage in the Jungle role, since you won't be fighting that much and want to be able to gank instead. When someone getslow hp you will be able to move really fast to the point where you have to be.
Conqueror is the way to go when duels and skirmishers take a lot longer in the jungle, mainly when playing against fighters or tanks. Conqueror can be stacked quite quickly if you cancel your basic attack with Q and will give extra AD and extra healing which will benefit you a lot. This rune definitely scales better than PTA and is my favourite rune for Warwick both in the Toplane and Jungle.
Grasp of the Undying is for a more tanky/frontline approach to Warwick. It's only taken in the Toplane since you will be using it a lot there and almost never in the jungle. It also scales pretty good, but just in a different way than the Conqueror rune.
For the small rune shards you will take the Attack speed shard, then one Adaptive Force shard and finally one Armor or Magic Resist shard depending on what champ you're versing in the jungle.
If you want to learn about the items you can read the notes that I've embedded with the items at the top of the page. Just hover your mouse over the little pencil next to the items.
Red Smite or Blue Smite?
All depends on your preferences. Personally I go Blue Smite most of my games for the easy catching of enemies since I'll be ahead most of the time, but Red Smite is defintely useful in matchups that are a bit harder to duel.
Blue Smite tends to be better if you want to have that extra utility (slow) on your ganks and invades. This will help you a bit if your team doesn't have any utility for the gank to work out easily.
Red Smite works really well vs assassin matchups and for duels since it reduces the enemy damage with a whopping 20% for 4 whole seconds while you gain an X amount of true damage (depending on your level) for 2,5 seconds after you've smited the enemy, reseting with every basic attack.
3 camps into a gank or invade:|
You start Blue or Red and take Gromp. After that you can invade, gank or reverseclear back from your wolves. I recommend using your ward before the first minute and recalling to get an oracle lense so you can detect any wards while you are pathing to a lane or invade.
Red buff into Blue buff Invade:|
If you are stronger level 2 and think you can win the fight or if you know he does a fullclear you can decide to ask for a trinket on your own blue buff or in the river for invades and invade him instead while he's busy fullclearing or facechecking you. If he facechecks you (which you will know since you can ward over the blue buff wall for information), make sure you win the smite battle or use the smite to heal! Do not tunnelvision over the buff and go for the kill instead depending on the situation.
1. Cover as much terrain as you can before you arrive for the gank. Dont walk straight at the enemy! Circle around them so you have more time to autoattack and less to walk! You can try to be creative with your ganking path after a invade.
2. Don't let the enemy jump on you to escape when you're ganking. Happens when you gank from behind mostly; don't let Maokai, Pantheon or Renekton dash to you and escape for free. Think about what pathing is the best to gank with. Maybe you could try to hold Q + fear them back into your teammate, but this most likely wont work that often.
3. Think about when the next minionwave arrives and don't fight in minionwaves that are too big! Even though you're very strong, 15 minions will do a LOT of damage and the enemy might potentially win the game of a gank like that if he uses the minions well. Going out of vision (for example, into a bush that's not warded) resets the aggression from the minions.
4. Use your W to chase enemies across the map (even invisible enemies are shown!) and use your Smite to cc or to deal more damage, depending on what smite you took.
5. This point counts for every jungler: wait for enemies to use their escaping tools. For example, if Renekton and Galio don't have their dashes, they will be easier to catch. Look at your laners before the game and decide whether they have some kind of cc that can help you catch the enemy when you gank for them.
6. But my laners are pushed in all the time! Great! Now you can invade, dive the enemy or take an objective. But for real, in higher ranks, people will look at the position and state of the minionwaves before they even walk to gank a lane (e.g. is it pushing or de-pushing).
7. If something is impossible to gank, don't bother. You will only waste time and possibly throw the game. Focus on other lanes and try to farm up yourself so you atleast have those lanes to help you out. When you've got enough of a lead you can always come back to possibly gank that lane.
8. Remember to cancel all your basic attacks and with abilities (and Tiamat) so you stack Conqueror or Press The Attack faster and do more damage in a shorter timespan.
1. You can hold your Q in order to deny CC since you will be unstoppable while you are using the ability. This also works on enemy knockups. You can move along with someone that uses a blink or a dash if you hold your Q while theyre using it if you've timed it correctly.
2. If you can't kill someone on your own when ganking, you can use your fear and then go through them and release it so they walk towards your team! A feared champion will always run towards the opposite side of the champion its feared from.
3. You can chain your cc on someone by using your E first and then R him before the fear runs out! Remember that this is not the only way to chain cc though, since you have teammates and can use their cc too. Also don't forget that your fear can be used on multiple enemies so don't get too tunnelvisioned on only one enemy instead.
4. You don't clear AOE camps (like Raptors) or waves quick enough without Tiamat, so you want to skip those before you have the item.
5. The range of your R increases with the amount of movement speed your champion has! Items, champion abilities and runes all work with this!
6. Certain matchups require you to use your Oracle Lense well. For example you can use your Oracle Lense to see Kha'zix or Shaco while he's invisible. This will allow you to hit your fear and R for damage and crowd control.
7. Smiting camps or objectives earlier will enable your W passive faster so that you can clear the camp or objective a bit faster. Be careful of enemies in the vicinity though when doing this.
Taking small trades with or without the damage reduction on your E and then healing it back up with your Q is what makes toplane Warwick work. Remember that using E solely to cc enemies is a mistake, unless you want to cancel one their abilities. You can decide to freeze the wave under tower so you can freely poke enemies, while being safe from ganks at all times; or you can decide to push and potentially invade the enemy jungler, roam around the map, place wards or control wards (deep in the enemy jungle or river), help your own jungler out with the rift scuttle/an objective/an invade or 1v2 them if you're ahead or have a lot of minions that can deal damage with you.
You can deny some CC like knockups with your Q by using it to go through them making you unstoppable, thus being able to deal more damage that other champions could not while CC'd. Furthermore, you can easily pressure and join other fights on the map whenever you want since your W will get you there fast.
Be patient with your R, and use it smart, for example vs champions with executes like Urgot and Darius when you are just above execution threshhold to deny them the execute.
If you need to know anything else come join me on my Discord: https://discord.gg/dp64fR9