Kayn Build Guide by Poohlio
Your votes and comments encourage our guide authors to continue
creating helpful guides for the League of Legends community.
Runes: The only one you need
+9 Adaptive (5.4 AD or 9 AP)
+9 Adaptive (5.4 AD or 9 AP)
Ability Order Scythe go Whoosh
Threats & Synergies
Extremely annoying to play against. She has the CC and Damage to pop you and you can't really do anything about it. Get Control Wards and teamup to hunt her down. >:c
Your only chance to kill him is in the early when he doesn't have any items yet. Once he gets 2 items, just don't try it, he'll laugh at you trying to scratch him D: Go Red with Cleaver helps
He out damage you early and can stack armor with his E, kinda busted not gonna lie especially when he has Phase Rush and out manuvers you too D:
Don't duel him early if he hit the Q and has Conqueror. Lee Sin has disgusting damage early and can easily peel you off in teamfights with his R. Not fun to play against >:c
Big Threat early on, Crazy damage and invade potenitial. Don't contest scuttle or dragon agaisnt him early. Easier when you get form, Blue can pop him and Red can just tank the damage. >:c
This cat ain't friendly D: he will make your early game hell. Just seeing a bush will give you anxiety and he loves it. Don't contest scuttle early, ward up and team up to hunt him down. Once you get form it'll be easier.
He's only scary when he has items, but don't underestimate him, his E true damage and W heal/damage reduction is more than enough to fight you. Get Blue form and pop him or Red to peel him off your team. OwO)b
Same deal with Yi. Don't fight him early. Get form, Blue to pop him or Red to peel him off. OwO)b
Not that bad of a match up. you can try and invade him early and get some cheesy kills, the real problem is when teamfights happens. He excels at locking down your ally and punish mispositioning hard. Go blue and pop the backline or red and peel him off your team. OwO)b
He has CC but honestly easy to pass through as Blue. And for Red, he's like an extra health pack for you so don't worry about it
Blue and Yasuo will make the enemy backline dissapear. Red with W can give him the setup he needs for that beautiful wombo combo.
I love ganking bot when we have a Nautilus. He just make Kayn's life much easier with the CC. Blue Kayn can pick off priority target while Red can chain the CC and destroy the enemy composition.
Champion Build Guide
- If you enjoy the same, check out my Twitch here.
- I have been playing League for 7 years now and probably my most played game of all time. I also enjoy a wide variety of games such as osu!, Apex Legends and Monster Hunter Worlds. I don't have any cool game achievements like others but I can say I find the most joy in playing games haha. This is my first guide on Mobafire so if I have any errors in this, feel free to tell me in the discussion OwO)b
+ One of the best clears in the game. Especially with camps like Raptors , Wolf , and Krugs . Kayn can clear them fast and doesn't lose much HP because of his , this is why you see Kayn player usually take Raptors first for the early level 2.
+ Unmatched in utility, Kayn has 2 forms to choose from, one being an assassin to take out the enemy backline, one being a juggernaut to fight their frontline head on.
+ Super high mobility with his and . The ability to walk through walls is exceptional for junglers and opens alot of paths for ganks and invades.
+ Simple kit. This is the point I argue with a lot of players saying he has a high skill floor. Because even though Kayn skills changes when he chooses his form. It is still based on his original skill, meaning it's not an entirely different skill but more like a beefed-up version of it.
But then, all champions have weaknesses:
- Can't take Buffs and Gromp fast. His damage is mainly AOE from and it does not work well against a single powerful monster which leads us to the next point.
- Bad at taking Big Objectives like Dragon and Baron Nashor . Rift Herald is fine because you can hit his weakspot and evade his hook punch but Dragon will just evaporate Kayn's HP even after he got his form.
- Not strong until mid-game. Kayn needs time and items to become effective so a Jungler with strong early damage like Lee Sin can give him a very tough time :c
- Susceptible to crowd-control. Yeah, nobody likes to be CC'ed especially Kayn. Getting snared or stunned as Kayn can be devastating because he relies mainly on his movement and attacking enemies with skills to become a threat.
- Very weak if behind. This can be said for every champion but Kayn biggest powerspike is when he gets his form in the midgame and if this is delayed then playing him will feel very underwhelming.
- First of all, Dark Harvest works wonders for both Red and Blue form. The same can be said for Electrocute but what drives me away from it is the unreliability when you miss your skills and this does not scale as good as Dark Harvest. Dark Harvest damage is not significant unless you are able to get alot of stacks, and to do so you need to gank alot. Which is exactly what Kayn needs to do in order to collect essences and reach his form.
So TLDR: You lose abit of early damage but gain stronger finishing damage later.
- Secondly, it makes your build unpredictable. Most people will think you will go Blue form because of the runes but little did they know you can go for either and still be super strong in mid-game. Dark Harvest gives Red form what he has always been missing... A finisher ! Red Kayn consistent damage is very good but abit lacking against squishy target so the extra bump that Dark Harvest gives will help him a bunch to secure kills.
- For the secondary tree, this is just my preference but I like to take Presence of Mind over Triumph mainly because it fixes one of Kayn major problems... He does not have the mana for long fights. I'm a very simple minded person, I like to spam skills whenever I can. But hold on, you need mana for that and Kayn doesn't have a large pool for such a task. Presence of Mind increases your mana up to 500 and gives you back 20% maximum mana for every takedown. But to take it you have to trade of Triumph which is the favorite of alot of assassins. As we can see Triumph heals you for 12% missing health and gives you extra 20 gold after takedowns. The only reason I see they take this is because it can maybe help them survive DoT like Ignite or Challenging Smite and the 20 extra gold is not as big as you might think. For me I will choose Presence of Mind and only take Triumph when I gank lanes with alot of DoT that can kill me like Cassiopeia or Singed.
- Next is Coup de Grace with the extra 8% damage to finish off opponents, you should not switch to Last Stand unless you are committed to go Red form and build Death's Dance to maximize the damage you get from the rune. Regardless, this is a very risky rune to run and in my experience does not pay off as much as Coup de Grace.
- Finally for the bonus, just go for the 2 Adaptive damage stone and armor. Damage because Kayn mainly use his and attack speed does not compliment is kit much, CDR rune is plain bad and Armor rune because you are in the jungle and all camps (except Gromp ) deals physical damage.
- Take Scuttle , this is fairly risky against bad matchups like Kha'Zix because they can out damage you but you gain excellent early vision for your team and a chunky amount of gold.
- Take the enemy's Krugs , This is what I usually do because most people kinda forget about this camp in their clears. Once you clear the camp you should be in a good position for a top lane gank.
- Look for a gank in mid, this is easy if your midlaner has good minion control but hard if they don't. If you don't feel like you can gank a lane then honestly don't and just take the enemy's Krugs
Once you complete the first clear, go back and get a bit of item and ready to take Raptors again and move to the bot side for potential ganks or invade. Rinse and repeat!
And here is some Dos and Don'ts:
- Do get Oracle Lens. Oh my god! I can't recall how many times I forgot about this. Imagine getting ready for a gank and they see you from a mile away just because you didn't scan the bush.
- Do realize the role you need to fill for your team when choosing your form. This is very important because Kayn is a very diverse champion and can fill the role the team composition is missing. So when the team needs someone on the frontline, go Red. And if they need someone to kill their backline, consider Blue.
- Do gank often. People tend to only gank when they are SURE to pick-up kills. This is actually a bad habit, ganking does not need to result in A KILL. When you gank as Kayn you will at least get essences for your Passive, put preasure on the enemy lane, and maybe pick up a Dark Harvest stack. So don't be afraid to gank even if you are uncertain that you can pick up kills. Just do it, your laner will appreciate it a lot OwO)b
- Don'ts Waste your time taking Gromp in your first clear. It's not worth the time and will cost you a chunky amount of HP, which could be allocated for invading the enemy or ganks.
- Don'ts forget about the Big Objectives like Rift Herald , Dragon and Baron Nashor . I know that Kayn isn't good at taking Dragon but ignoring them is creating a huge disadvantage for your team. At least keep them warded and when the enemy tries to take it, just in and try to steal it with Smite.
- And finally, Do have fun OwO)b !
- If you didn't get the form you want, don't worry you don't have to wait 4 minutes for the other. Did you know that when you arrive at that point and attack champions with the opposite essences you can reduce the time it takes to get the other form? Crazy right? So if you got Red and want Blue, go and hit the enemy range champions and vice versa !