Amumu Build Guide by Ivker21
An Extensive Hybrid AP/Tank Amumu Guide for Solo QueueBy Ivker21 | Updated on January 6, 2019
Your votes and comments encourage our guide authors to continue
creating helpful guides for the League of Legends community.
Choose Champion Build:
AP Bruiser Amumu
Full AP Amumu
Full Tank Amumu
Threats & Synergies
Nunu & Willump
Early game you have more damage but no way to stick to him, and he'll sustain himself. Only counter jungle him if you have lane priority and/or know he isn't there. Nunu is great at ganking and especially at counter ganking, so early be careful, don't overextend a gank. He clears really fast and later will kill you in a 1v1, he also takes objectives REALLY fast, so be careful. In team fights save your Q to end his Ult before he channels it, it's the only real way to keep your team alive. If you Q him while his snowball is up it will knock you up and you won't land on him, keep that in mind.
Pre 6 you deal more damage, and she has no real escape. She will try and farm up to lvl 6 as fast as possible so take her jungle as much as you can (while being safe). once she hits lvl 6 she has more damage and you won't be able to escape her if she hits her Q's, so beware. Group up with your team and try not to leave anyone squishy alone.
Jax is an AA champ, so your Tantrum will be up often and your ult really cripples him in a fight. try to avoid him early since he will have more damage but the more the game continues the more your CC and damage will wreck him. Keep in mind that he will always try to jump your ADC so keep them safe from him with your Q and R.
Wukong will destroy your whole team, and there isn't much you can do about it. If you try to Bandage Toss him he'll drop his clone. And he has the mobility to get past you and go straight for your back line. Basically, after level 6 he's a bitch to deal with. I recommend trying to bait out his clone so he doesn't have the protection and escape, and try to ult right as he ults or even a bit before so your team can get him before he knocks you all up. He shreds armor and builds lethality, so either build a lot of armor or focus on building health, but don't go too much MR if you don't have to.
Lee Sin has the advantage on you early, and he'll use it to counter gank you and invade you 24/7. The upside is that the longer the game goes the better you'll be against him. You'll farm faster than him from your second clear so that is good, but make sure to ward the entrances to your jungle all the time. Late game your Ult basically renders him useless in a fight.
Ivern can steal your camps really quickly, and he'll try to do so. Lucky for you, he's squishy AF. So whenever you see him coming into your jungle ping your laners to help you. Honestly, you should be able to win in a 1v1 but make sure his team doesn't show up to collapse on you.
Kindred scales, better than you do, if they get their marks. So always focus on denying the marks from them. As far as match up goes, you have a lot of sustain damage and you can stick to her easily (Rylai's helps). Your Ulti makes Kindred basically useless for a few moments since most of their damage is dashes and AA. Just remember, when she ults in 1v1 save your Bandage Toss to stun her right as it ends so she doesn't burst you down.
Your main worry with Eve is her counter jungling and her pick potential onto your ADC and Mid. Later into the game she won't even need her charm so make sure to CC her before she kills your squishies. Outside of that, you'll scale harder than her so the later the game goes the better you'll do. One thing to keep in mind is how fast she clears the jungle, because once she does she'll come for yours. Things to exploit about Eve is her pre 6 that is quite weak, and that Eve players tend to be very bloodthirsty and might take dumb risks for a kill.
The hyper mobile tank, the only real threat he poses is getting to your ADC. Since Rammus usually builds armor+HP your magic damage/max HP percent damage still hurts him a lot. Really just make sure he doesn't taunt you squishies, so maybe block him, or have minions between you, or just CC him.
To avoid him in team fights always ward over a wall you think he'll come over. If he still gets in and Ults just Bandage Toss him or ult him to protect your team. Outside of that, you win the 1v1. once he fears you just Q in later. He has no escape and you'll just out damage him. He also clears slower than you, but he is healthy, so consider counter jungling him if his team can't help him and you have enough HP.
Easy to deal with in team fights. Just CC him after he Alpha Strikes and he's dead. Just make sure to wait for the Alpha Strike so you don't waste an Ult or Q. Keep in mind to never 1v1 him unless your really ahead since he'll melt you. So be very careful with invades.
Her early game is really weak and her clears are really unhealthy. Try invading her all the time early. Later she'll be very mobile, but you counter that, so in team fights, you'll be fine. Keep in mind it's usually worth body blocking her Ult since later you'll be able to take the damage, and if she gets too close you can ult her.
A lot like Evelyn, you'll out scale Elise late game to the point that she'll be useless. It's your job to make sure that she doesn't scale too much and to prolong the game. Elise has a really good early game and she can outplay you in a 1v1, so avoid her early. Keep your camps warded as she clears faster than you and she'll look to invade. A good way to stay safe would be to buy Merc Treads ASAP. Late game in team fights, help zone her out and CC her (a lot like with Yi).
Early, or if he has a lead, avoid him in a 1v1. But after that your CC and extra damage from items will help you melt him. In team fights wait for him to show and then chain CC him with your team. If you stop him from massively snowballing early you should be able to handle him later.
I started originally in the mid lane and later moved to the jungle, now I also play a bit of support.
Since then I've tried many junglers and settled mostly on the tank/juggernaut champions
(with exceptions for things like Kindred, Nocturne, and Kayn).
Since I played jungle it was always hard to find an AP champion for the jungle that I really enjoyed, so when I found this Amumu play style I thought I would share.
- Great clears later in the game
- Good ganking throughout the game
- Amazing team fighting
- Good damage and defense ratios
- Can still carry a game as a tank jungler
- Easy to learn
- Safe champion
- Very ultimate reliant
- Can run out of mana a lot
- Very vulnerable early game
- can be focused down and killed
- If your team is behind usually can't solo carry
Honestly, you are playing a jungler, you need to take Smite.
As far as Flash I highly recommend it, you can get over walls, escape, or even combine with Curse of the Sad Mummy to catch the enemy team by surprise.
that being said, if you really want Ghost it could work (but I really recommend Flash)
Best rune for a tank or hybrid Amumu. it provides you with a bit of extra dmg but more importantly with a good survival tool in team fights. (also the stats from resolve are good for you). If you don't plan going full tank there is the possibility of taking Predator and then going into Domination. The main reason to take Predator is for your ganks, the extra Move Speed helps you have a reliable engage in addition to Bandage Toss. Now personally I don't like taking this since the extra resistances from Aftershock really help you stay alive in the team fights. In addition Predator really is only good for you ganks and innitial damage, so the longer the game goes the more useless it becomes.
Highly recommended for solo queue only, since Amumu doesn't have the best objective control this rune helps you take towers without relying on your teammates and helps you progress the game. If you don't plan on being the tower taker on your team and play more of a tank role Bone Plating would be more useful at keeping you alive.
Once again I only recommend this for solo queue, you'll need the extra health in the early game but later you'll be happy with the dmg to help carry yourself. If you know you plan to go full tank or even very tanky Conditioning would probably be better suited for you.
Generally, the choice rune for Amumu since you don't shield, heal or really use summoner spells aggressively.
This rune simply helps keep you alive and reposition after using Curse of the Sad Mummy in a fight.
If you're facing an AP heavy team you could consider Nullifying Orb.
If you prefer a little extra dmg in the 1v1 over rift scuttler you could take Waterwalking instead.
Since Amumu is a very ulimate based champ the extra CD is very usefull (especially since you don't always build a lot of CD). In addition, having Bandage Toss accessible more often is always good.
Idont recommend this path since the AS it gives isn't necessary and the runes themselves arent particularly useful to Amumu.
Same as with Precision the stats that are provided by this tree arent ideal and the runes themselves aren't well suited for jungle Amumu.
As a secondary, the stats are the same as taking Sorcery, but the runes aren't as good in my opinion.
but if you still want to try it;
- Sudden Impact gives some extra magic pen. (though since its nefs I wouldn't bother)
- Ghost Poro & Zombie Ward for extra vision control.
- Ultimate Hunter can also provide good CD for Curse of the Sad Mummy later in the game.
- Ravenous Hunter provides some sustain in team fights
Curse of the Sad Mummy> Tantrum> Bandage Toss> Despair
Passive: Cursed Touch
Amumu's basic attacks cause 10% of all magic damage dealt to the target (before resists) to be dealt again as true damage.
- The main thing to remember about Amumu's passive is to AA enemies and monster camps so they take the extra 10% damage
Q: Bandage Toss
Throws a bandage to target location. If it hits an enemy unit, Amumu will pull himself to the enemy, stun them for 1 second, and deal 80 / 130 / 180 / 230 / 280 (+70% of ability power) magic damage.
- Keep in mind there is a travel and cast time so try to predict the target's movement
- A good way to make sure you hit bandage toss is to walk up to the enemy while ganking, and only use it once you're close. the other advantage of this is that you save Bandage Toss for when they Flash away and then you get both their flash and a kill
- You can use Bandage Toss to get over walls to reach objectives or camps. You can also get over a wall as an escape, or aim it at a bush to check it for enemies and ambush them
- Bandage Toss has a high AP ratio, it does a lot of damage and is necessary for landing a good Curse of the Sad Mummy
- You max this ability after Tantrum unless you build full AP Amumu, then you'd max it first
Toggle: Nearby enemies take 10 / 15 / 20 / 25 / 30 magic damage plus 1 / 1.25 / 1.5 / 1.75 / 2 % (+1% per 100 ability power) of their maximum health each second. Ticks for half the damage every half-second.
Despair refreshes Cursed Touch on all enemies hit.
- Important to remember that in addition to the damage, Despair refreshes your passive
- Make a point to not leave Despair on for too long since it drains your mana pool, so be careful
- This ability has amazing synergy with Rylai's Crystal Scepter, that in turn has great synergy with Liandry's Torment. so use it in team fights bot not to chase down stragglers
- Max this last
Passive: Amumu takes 2 / 4 / 6 / 8 / 10 reduced damage from physical attacks. Also gains +3% bonus armor and +3% magic resist.
Active: Amumu deals 75 / 100 / 125 / 150 / 175 (+50% of ability power) magic damage to surrounding units. Each time Amumu is hit by an autoattack, the cooldown on Tantrum's active is reduced by 0.5 seconds.
- Max this first, after Curse of the Sad Mummy
- As a semi-tank most of your damage is DoT/DPS. This is your best source for it
- Leveling this up will lower the cooldown and help you spam it
- Since the buffs in patch 8.16 it also helps protect you when you build some ressistances
R: Curse of the Sad Mummy
Amumu entangles surrounding enemy units, rendering them unable to move or use basic attacks for 2 seconds, dealing 150 / 250 / 350 (+80% of ability power) magic damage to them upfront.
Curse of the Sad Mummy applies Cursed Touch to enemies after the damage is dealt.
- Amumu is very ultimate reliant, so make the most of every ultimate
- Your ultimate roots and stops enemies from AA, so its good against ADC and melee champs but not too good against mages and support
- In a very tough 1v1 it could be worth it to use your ult as an escape tool, rather than to deal some damage and then die, judge the scenerio before using Curse of the Sad Mummy
- Try and get as many enemies with Curse of the Sad Mummy, try to combine it with other ultimates on your team
- Stalker's Blade - Cinderhulk: Your core item, it provides you with health to survive team fights, the AoE damage for fighting and a good boost to your jungle clear speed
- Mercury's Treads: These are the boots to get when the enemy team has a lot of CC and you are trying to not get shut down during fights
- Ninja Tabi: This is the item to get against ADC/AA heavy teams and/or AD assassins
- Liandry's Torment: My favorite item on Amumu, it gives even more DoT in a fight. The stats are good, they keep you alive and boosts your damage. Not to mention that it was recently buffed so you can do A LOT more damage
- Rod of Ages: Experimental. The AP, health, and mana are good stats. And the eternity passive of RoA keeps your mana up. My main concern is that it delays your damage until a later stage of the game, making you kinda useless. Update; I tried rushing this in a game and it really hurts your early game health and clear speed
- Rylai's Crystal Scepter: The stats are very similar to those of Liandry's Torment. the main difference is that you lose out on the damage passive from Liandry's in return for the slow
- Abyssal Mask: A good option if you want to go full tank, the health, mana, and MR are good for keeping you alive. And the passive provides you with some bonus damage (particularly useful for a team with a lot of AP)
- Dead Man's Plate: A decent defense item that will give you a bit of damage and a lot of protection (not my favorite)
- Frozen Heart: You already have health from your first two items, this gives you a lot of armor and gives you the mana you need to sustain your spells in fights (I like buying this item third if I'm not ahead)
- Gargoyle Stoneplate: A great 4th item. It provides both kinds of resistance and the active helps you stay alive after dropping Curse of the Sad Mummy in a team fight
- Abyssal Mask: If you didn't get this item second and you need the MR this is a good choice
- Randuin's Omen: If the enemy team is heavy on Crit/AS champs take this
- Thornmail: Similar to Randuin's but cuts healing instead of countering Crit
- Zeke's Convergence: If you plan on being a tank and being carried by your team, buy this to support your ADC
- Spirit Visage: Gives some MR and health, but honestly, it doesn't really work with Amumu's kit
- Rylai's Crystal Scepter: As a third item it's amazing, the stats keep you ahead, and the passive doubles the Liandry's damage. The passive also helps keep enemies locked up in team fights so your team can get them. If you are ahead, consider getting this item before going tanky
- Morellonomicon: Gives you damage and health, the magic pen. is also good. You should probably get it if you plan on going very aggressive and the enemy has a lot of healing, like a Dr. Mundo
- Zhonya's Hourglass: If you need to go aggro but want to survive in the middle of a team fight, this could work for you
This hybrid Amumu build is ideal for a simple Amumu that will still help you carry your team to victory and not just sit back and tank for your ADC.
Since we are heading into a tank meta soon, I will keep updating and adding more to this guide; countering info, jungle pathing, ganking, and more...
Hope you enjoyed this guide and I hope it helps you in your solo queue games with this fun AP jungler.
Thanks for reading, good luck.