Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Looking to optimize my build for the new Kat

Creator: PsiGuard August 16, 2012 2:02am
1 2 3 4
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 16, 2012 2:02am | Report
I've been pretty excited for the Kat rework and have been having some pretty fun games with her so far. I'm aware that her kit works a little differently than it used to and her ratios were shuffled around a bit, so I'm trying to figure out which items to build and in what order I should be building them. Please leave your opinions and any supportive arguments you can think of.

So far I've been building the following (in various orders and combinations):

Some other items I haven't tried yet:

My main questions:

1) Should I be getting Hextech Gunblade every game or is Will of the Ancients a good option too?

2) Is Deathfire Grasp good enough to be core? Should I get it early?

3) Is Rylai's Crystal Scepter a solid pick for most games, or more of a defensive option?

So far I've been favoring something like this:

Kage's Lucky Pick

Thoughts?
Thanks to Fatelblade for the sig!
Jones MD
<Member>
Jones MD's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 16, 2012 3:59am | Report
1) That depends if you want to use that gunblade for the slow or the spellvamp/lifesteal. I'd pick it over Will of the Ancients as it offers more damage through te additional AD it provides. You also have a ranged slow through the active

2) I'd get the fancy hat Rabadon's Deathcap earlier then Deathfire Grasp. I can see the thoughts behind getting Kage's Lucky Pick before the Hextech Revolver, but I'd buy Revolver first and Kage's second. Maybe after Boots. but in my opinion it's better to rush Deathcap after Revolver & Tier 2 Boots.

3) Rylai's Crystal Scepter is viable as you profit form all the stats the item gives you. Additionally, you don't have to use an active (which I tend to forget all the time with Gunblade and Hourglass...). You have to consider though, that only Shunpo will pop the slow with it's full effect. Also, Gunblade's slow is stronger and lasts longer (which is quite pointless, as you will hit your enemy multiple time with skills when attempting to kill him with rylai's, but anyway. It also gives you a nice little extra damage.

Ton conclude that, your Build is fine. I'd switch Rylai's with an Hourglass and depending on the enemy's MR Abyssal with Void Staff

Ah nooooo. I just now read that you built the items in various order.... my bad.
Herion7
<Member>
Herion7's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 16, 2012 6:35am | Report
1) I would prefer going Hextech Gunblade above WotA in most cases since it adds some AD lifesteal and the great utility passive to help your team catch up with running enemies. (kat can catch up with shunpo since the range of shunpo is the same as the active of Hextech Gunblade) Wota is probably a better choice if you have at least 2 ap's in your game (like Kennen/ Vladimir/ Rumble top or Fiddlesticks jungle)

2) DFG is a good item but i would build Rabadon's Deathcap first for that extra bit of oomph to the active. Im even thinking of replacing it with Lich Bane now kats Bouncing Blades applies an Akali like mark. So throw bouncing Blade, Shunpo, proc both effects, TONS OF DAMAGE

3) Rylai's Crystal Scepter is viable and in my opinion core due to the fact that you are melee and you are always in the middle of a teamfight. The health will help you survive and the slow will make sure they cant easily escape unless they flash away or use a different inbuilt flash.

Lastly Depending on situation i would switch out Zhonya's with Abyssal depending on enemy main damage source or Void Staff if they are stacking MR

Just my 2 cents but i hope they may help you
Mooninites
<Member>
Mooninites's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 16, 2012 10:32am | Report
Personally not a big fan of Rylai's Crystal Scepter, viable but I would never consider it core. I think of it more as a utility item. You do have Hextech Gunblade which should be enough of a slow for you. The items I consider core on Kat are Zhonya's Hourglass, Hextech Gunblade, and Rabadon's Deathcap. Everything else is situational, but Abyssal Mask, Deathfire Grasp, Sorcerer's Shoes and Guardian Angel are also good items I consider.
Thanks for the Signature MissMaw!
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 16, 2012 4:51pm | Report
Herion7 wrote:

Im even thinking of replacing it with Lich Bane now kats Bouncing Blades applies an Akali like mark. So throw bouncing Blade, Shunpo, proc both effects, TONS OF DAMAGE

Shunpo doesn't proc on-hit effects, so you'd have to actually take the time to autoattack in order to use the proc from Lich Bane. That's the main reason I'm shying away from that item because it takes a while to use the procs, which makes you more vulnerable.

So far it seems people prefer Gunblade to WotA. Zhonya's, Rylai's and DFG seem to be the most common items that are omitted from the build. Abyssal is obviously interchangeable with Void.

Thanks for the feedback guys. If anyone has something else they'd like to contribute, feel free to do so.
Thanks to Janitsu for the sig!
Arkharan
<Member>
Arkharan's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 16, 2012 4:53pm | Report
Trade zhonya for WotA I'd say?

ty xaiolu for the sign :3
RaNuD
<Member>
RaNuD's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 16, 2012 6:20pm | Report
Every single item you mentionned may be good in some games, you just need to swap them sometimes.

You know like:
-Too few CC in your team? Might consider
-Lots of caster on your side?(including AD Casters) Might consider
etc etc...

In my opinion:
Core:

I-Pick-You-In-Most-Games

Situational
Everything else you mentionned.

I've only played a few games so far, but I build pretty much in the same order you do (except I skip DFG items). Seems to work pretty well so far, the gameplay has changed, but the builds havent changed too much IMO
In a thread about his own ban,
gabpin wrote:
stfu I only did that : swearing and thats why i got ban are u ****** or something ?

In a thread about toxic players,
Go be a whiny baby elsewhere. Find and abuse the ignore button. No sense stinking up this forum with your crying.
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 17, 2012 9:57am | Report
^I agree with your core. It's the rest I'm trying to sort out.

Arkharan wrote:
Trade zhonya for WotA I'd say?

Would that include Gunblade as well? Double spellvamp?
Thanks to The_Nameless_Bard for the sig!
Khazem
<King of the Hill>
Khazem's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 17, 2012 10:05am | Report
The build I've been going with so far is Sorcerer's Shoes, Hextech Gunblade, Abyssal Mask, Deathfire Grasp, Guardian Angel, Rabadon's Deathcap, in that order (usually). GA over Zhonya's is more personal preference cause I get too confused with 3 on-use items and tend to **** it up every fight.
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 17, 2012 10:07am | Report
Rylai's better for CC than Gunblade probably...Gunblade is fine, but Kat has far worse AD ratios than she used to...

Lifesteal isn't going to matter in the end anyways, because as you commented on Lichbane...you have to take time to attack and you won't want to do that unless you're just farming.

EDIT: would be more inclined to do something like-

Sorcerer's Shoes > Hextech Revolver > Rylai's Crystal Scepter > Rabadon's Deathcap > Will of the Ancients > Abyssal Mask/ Void Staff > Zhonya's Hourglass/ Guardian Angel

but that's just me.
1 2 3 4

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide