This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page
Diana tanky top: Slash'em all
Your votes and comments encourage our guide authors to continue
creating helpful guides for the League of Legends community.
Threats & Synergies
Since he gets stronger when the trade is a long one, and you need long trades to kill someone, it's going to be very difficult to lane against him. Keep safe, and wait for your jungler.
-The marks will give you a better ability to trade, as you will get your passive and the Grasp of the Undying faster.
-The Seals are here to grant you a bonus in mid/late game: you'll buy tankyness quite soon, so it's better than the usual Seals of flat armor.
-The Glyphs will be used gain a bit of attack speed or some more magic resist, as you wish, both are good. However, do not take scaling CDR: your items will easily get you to 40% without those.
-The Quints for some damages with your abilities. You can trade them for attack speed quints, or armor, or even hp. However, I think AP or AS are the best ones.
I highly recommend you to ALWAYS choose 4 masteries:
- Fury: 4% attack speed is better than damages on your abilities, as you'll be mostly an auto-attack fighter.
- Vampirism: 2% Lifesteal isn't a lot, but it's always good to have it.
- Runic Armor: NEVER take the other ability. A bonus of 8% on your shield, on your health regen, on your lifesteal, and on the amount of heal you get from the Grasp of the Undying.
- Grasp of the Undying: Of course: you are an auto-attack toplaner who needs long trades to kill, so a bit of sustain is what you need.
NEVER use your R - Lunar Rush twice. Do your Q spell, then dash with your R, auto-attacks on the ennemy, and when you get the cooldown of your Q back, just use it to dash again. Reason: if you trade behind the ennemy minions, or undertower, and the ennemy jungler comes or you just need to run because you're losing the trade, having your R - Lunar Rush to dash on a creep behind you is always good to put some distance between you and your opponents. If they don't have any gapclosers, they will probably flash in (in that case, flash out, and you're safe).
Once you have the Sheen, complete the Iceborn Gauntlet: long trades will be easier as you'll slow your ennemy down thanks to its passive. Also, you'll get quite a good amount of CDR and armor. Then, you must finish your Sunfire Cape. Once it's done, you do the Abyssal Scepter, and then all your items are situational.
- Nashor's Tooth: a lot of AP and attack speed, with 20% CDR and additional damages on your auto-attacks. Take it when you want to split plush and you dominate the game.
- Wit's End: Magic resist, attack speed and additional damages on your auto-attacks. Use it to split push if you dominate the game but the ennemy team have quite a lot of AP (2 or more), or have an AP champion that scares you a lot (such as LeBlanc).
- Rylai's Crystal Scepter: 100 AP and 400 HP, plus a slow your ennemies when you hit them with a spell? Well, looks like it's a very good items to chase anyone that have some dashes (such as Ekko).
- Frozen Mallet: health, attack damages and a slow when you auto-attack anyone. It's the AD version of the Rylai's Crystal Scepter. Very good indeed to chase anyone.
- Dead Man's Plate: health, armor, more movement when you run, a slow when you hit. Here, the armor version of the Rylai's Crystal Scepter.
- Zhonya's Hourglass: AP and armor. Take it when the teamfight is quite difficult for you, and use it properly: go straight to the ennemy backline, use your E - Moonfall, attack a bit and then activate the Hourglass to temporise while your teammates finish the work on the ADC.
- Randuin's Omen: This one must be bought when you fight against champions such as Jhin, Ashe, or Yasuo, to decrease the damages they'll deal with their critics. Also, its active can be used to chase someone.
- Banshee's Veil: If you play against champions that have a lot of CCs, or against a Vayne, you MUST have it to be able to reach the ennemy backline.
- Spirit Visage: It is interesting to buy it when you fight against an AP toplaner in early game, as you'll get magic resist, CDR and a bonus on every source of health regen / heal you can get.
- Sterak's Gage: It is very good when you want to dive, thanks to it's passive ability that grants you a shield when you take a lot of damages. Also, it can be good against champions that are champions that can oneshot, as the shield won't be broken straight away.
DO NOT TRY TRADES IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE CD OF YOUR W - Pale Cascade !! It sounds weird but it is a really strong bonus when you trade, do not act as if it's not worth to wait for it.
In most cases, teamfights will start without you: you are a splitpusher, so you'll splitpush. So keep your Teleport up to use it when the teamfight starts: you'll come in when the ennemy team will be less tightly gathered around the carries, so just do your job.
- Teemo: because he's Satan, he's got a blind, and he can poke you a lot to outfarm you easily. Wait for your jungler to kill him, you can't do it alone.
- Trundle: One of the best champions to fight in 1v1: he'll have more sustain thanks to his passive, more attack speed thanks to his W - Frozen Domain, more damages, and he will destroy your tankyness with his ultimate. Unless you destroy him at level 3/4 in a trade, you can't face him.
- Darius: a looooooot of tankyness, of damages, a passive bonus of armor penetration... And of course, a lot more damages if he stacks 5 attacks on you. You need long trades? So does he, and he'll take better profit from a long trade than you. Stay safe.
- Irelia: You'll be able to kill her in 1v1 only before she gets her Trinity Force. After it, she'll have too much damages, too much sustain, and will build tankyness. Probably even better in 1v1 than Trundle, don't try her.
- Shen: No he doesn't deal a lot of damages, but yes he's got a spell that blocks auto-attacks while he can go on attacking you. What, do, you, want, to, do? Just don't trade.
- Malphite: He can't kill you 1v1, even with his ultimate. If you trade him, you'll win the trade, 100% sure. However, pay attention to the ennemy jungler's position on the map before trading.
- Nautilus: a very good tankyness and good CCs, indeed. But how about you need long trades and he just moves sooooooo slooooooowlyyyyyyyyy that you'll get automatically those long trades? Well, use it well.
- Gragas: he's one of the best junglers, he'll deal a lot of damages in ganks / teamfights. Also, he can split the teamfight completely with his ultimate, to give you the oportunity to rush onto the ennemy carries.
- Warwick: his ultimate will make any ganks he'll give you a free kill.
- Lulu: You'll be tanky, and have quite good damages. But how about more damages and more tankyness thanks to Lulu's ultimate? DIVE DIVE DIVE you can't die.
- Zilean: his ultimate will make you able to dive and force the focus on you while your teammates deal damages on the carries. Then you'll die, but Zilean's ultimate will make you alive again! Yay, the teamfight's not over!
+ Very strong to engage the backline with your ultimate
+ Good damages while being very tanky
+ Low cooldowns
+ Very good splitpusher
- Highly dependent of the core items
- Can be easily destroyed by a misplay / gank
- Really need long trades to kill