This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page
Aatrox Build Guide by thatsnotmypirate
ThatsNotMyPirate's Aatrox - Blade of Blood
Your votes and comments encourage our guide authors to continue
creating helpful guides for the League of Legends community.
Choose Champion Build:
Threats & Synergies
He has a weaker early game then you so with your jungler you can shut him down. But late game he is a nightmare. His Wither lowers your attack speed by a pretty devastating amount. He will win most engagements mid-to-late game.
Aatrox is an auto attacking champion. So it's pretty easy to see why Jax would be your counter. He will win trades with counterattack even early game. Your best bet is to rush Ravenous Hydra and out farm him, he has pretty weak wave clear.
Aatrox is an auto attacking champion was very poor tools for sticking on someone early. Riven will dance around you and laugh if you try and trade with her. It is best to try to gank with allies.
He does amazing at dueling people with auto attack heavy skill set. You maybe able to beat her pre 6 but after 6 play safe if you don't have armor.
Tryndamere and Aatrox are surprisingly similar. This match up comes to who can out last one another. He will have more damage then you because he can afford to go more damage. With out ignite this match up can be hard.
Pretty much what ends up happening is that you out last his burst and can heal up and deal more damage with auto attacks. He has no way of getting away from you.
You push him out of lane, you most likely won't kill him with out help. But you can easily push him out of lane.
This match up use to be all in your favor. But with the change to ryze it is a little harder. I would max Blades of torment and poke him out of lane. Your skill shot goes through waves, his doesn't.
He beats you mid-to-late game. Early game you need to really try and push him out of lane or kill him if you catch them off guard. It's a pretty annoying matchup, but even.
Zzzz this lane is boring. You farm, he farms. You do little damage to him, he does little damage to you but he can wear you down if he controls his mana well. Also if you are low he can kill you with his wombo stun combo. But other then that he doesn't have amazing ways to kill you.
Check out my stream and channel! *Guide Touch up*
I live stream LoL often and upload to youtube. I am currently in the middle of a move but after it is finished i'll be streaming a lot like I always do. I also upload to youtube so watch out for stuff on my channel as well!
Live Stream: ThatsNotMyPirate's Live Stream
Youtube: ThatsNotMyPirate's Youtube Channel
**No two games are the same and each call for different items**
Please check out my video in "Laning Phase" (video is a bit out of date)
+ Great Harassment.
+ High Sustain.
+ Revive passive has shorter cooldown then other revive passives.
+ Dark Flight is great for engaging and disengaging.
+ Easy last hits and farming.
+ Amazing ult and good range that counts as melee.
+ Not a bad jungler ether.
- Long cooldowns early game.
- Blades of Torment can be hard to land at long ranges.
- Bad ranged poke, and easily out poked.
- Passive can be wasted if no blood in your well.
- Dark Flight can be stopped by some cc.
- Heal reduction and really hurt you.
- If you fall behind early game, can be really hard to recover.
- Weak vs ranged tops with pokes like Jayce
Ignite Great spell for any carry. Get for people with heals and deals true damage all game long. Very good.
Teleport If you are in top lane then it is a good idea to grab Teleport. Top laners tend to be on an island playing a different game. But teleport helps your team out a lot, so if you plan on going tank or farming early game, then this is better then ignite.
Exhaust Another great spell. This can help you solo someone because it lowers their damage. Also help you stay on top of someone trying to run. Also good for if they flash after, they will still be slowed enough for you to get in range.
Greater Mark of Attack Damage - Flat AD is great for Aatrox. Early game burst is pretty high when you can do your whole combo at lvl 3. (As you can see in my video)
Greater Seal of Armor - Helps you stay in lane longer, and early game the point is to farm and stay in the lane the longest! Aatrox is hard to push out of lane and this makes it harder. Out farm top and you will win your lane out right.
Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist - Gives you a lot of MR late game. Also great for staying in lane. This frees you up for building more damage.
Greater Quintessence of Attack spped - Helps farm early game, and helps you get your procs off for heals in the lane.
Dark Flight - Great for getting into fights. A dash and knock up that can give you the edge you need in fights. You can jump over walls and clear waves. Has a pretty high HP cost so I don't get this at level 1. Knowning when to use this skill to start fights or saving it to get out will weed out the good Aatrox from the bad.
Blood Thirst - This is a toggle. Heals you ever 3rd attack or heals you. This skill is amazing at keeping you in lane. If your having a really hard time in the lane then Max this first. Also deals massive damage. In your main combo you can blow someone up with this (Watch video to see lvl 3 combo.) Really good for soloing fights, healing or going on the offence.
Blades of Torment - A great slow. It can be hard to hit at long ranges because it gets smaller at the end of its range. It's slow gets longer the more points you put in, this skill is great for running away and staying on top of someone.
Massacre - Good for bating. Even with low hp the attack speed with this can make you heal fast enough to get anyone off guard. Does damage when you start it and anyone trying to get away will be shocked at the nice range buff you have. With Frozen Mallet this can be very hard to run from. (This skill has been updated and now also wills up blood well pre enemy hero hit. Making this ult amazing as an initation.)
First off let me talk about this build. So I see people building crit on Aatrox. Aatrox isn't a crit champ and shouldn't be build this way. He should be in the middle of fights doing dps and tanking a good bit of damage.
He doesn't this two ways:
1: Building life steal/AD and attack speed keeps him healing through out the fight.
2: Building Armor and Magic resist to keep him tanky and making other team really think if they should force you down or not.
Crit isn't a bad build but its not the best build. Crit takes up a slot that can be use for a better item. Life steal AD and AS is what you want, not crit.
As a top Laner, your job is to be DPS/Tanky, not a full on carry like other Aatrox are trying to be, leave that to AP mid and ADC. You can still carry with this build and over all bring more to your team.
- Give a good amount of mr and cc protection, build boots of speed and finish this after Spirit Visage
- This item give great starting health and magic resist. Also makes your life steal, passive, item actives, and W better healing. Great item for you. With max Blood Well You should heal 70% of your HP which is crazy talk. 20% cooldown is also a huge plus and your ult cooldown will be next to nothing so don't be afraid to use often.
- Attack speed is very important for your w. Attack speed ups your procs and there for heals and damage. On top of Spirit Visage the heals on you are epic and its heal active is buffed on you. This item is a must on you in most builds.
- At this point you will need armor and HP. The active is great in team fights or fleeing foes. I would build this if they have a feed crit hero. If not then Deadman's plate
- Great attack damage and life steal. If you need to split push, then you need this item to push down waves. This can be changed with Bloodthirster but its up to your playstyle!
- **New** I am currently testing this but it is working out pretty well. The extra life steal is pretty nice, but the passive is really awesome. Makes you pretty hard to kill by dealing some damage into a bleed since you heal by fighting. Also works with the AoE from Ravenous Hydra.
- This item was changed not to long ago and it makes it a better on Aatrox then it was before. Give a whopping 400 hp on top of good cd and AD. This will max your cooldowns and make you stick on people better.
- With Maws you are able to gain Magic Resist while still keeping your damage up on lower hp. Late game with Guard's Angel and your passive, in most cases you will benefit from being on low hp and dueling through out the whole fight.
Guard's Angel - Your well doesn't stay up forever. But with your passive and GA it makes you perfect for jumping into the fight first. There team will likely not want to focus you first and if they do then they will be punish by your team. If they don't, you can dish out Tons of damage and split for your team.
In all my guides I stress the importance of building different depending on the game. There is never 1 all end perfect build. Each game is different and calls for different items!
- Gives you epic damage and life steal. With Spirit Visage and Blade of the Ruined King you will be healing like a crazy person. You will have epic damage and be super hard to kill. Sadly now that it's changed it doesn't give as much Life steal but still a good buy!
- The lower your hp this most powerful you become, with your passive your AS will be crazy making you have amazing last stands and turn fights around. This item comes with a great shield that will save your butt. On top of your heals and passive this will make you scary when on low hp.
- This item is great and should replace omen if they don't have a fed crit hero on the other time. If crit becomes a problem then omen should be used. Aatrox is pretty slow and can't stick to heroes like Xin can so the extra movement helps.
- Give vs cc. Gives good ad and its active gets rid of all debuffs, even suppression ults. Gives you a speed boost to help you get away or catch a feeling foe. If you are cc you can use this along with Dark Flight to get away pretty fast.
- If your having problems with magic this is great. Makes you tankier while your fighting and gives you a bit more damage with passive. It's best as Aatrox to stay in the fight as long as he can to heal, so this item helps.
- If AD Heavy teams are a problem this will help a ton. The attack speed debuff lowers there dps on you on top of massive armor.
- With this and your passive up. The other team will really have to think about if they want to force you down in a team fight. Most of the time this will free you up to deal free damage.
- Good HP, mr and passive shield. Give you a good edge in duels and helps protect you from cc. Shield stops almost every skill, its pretty op.
- So last whisper is different now. Builds into two new items. more often then not you will build Mortal Reminder cause you will have a good bit of hp. But honestly you can keep it as last whisper till late late game.
- I highly recommend using this item some games. Even in place of Blade of the ruin king. It just works very well now, good armor pen, AD, cooldown and a very nice passive. I really thought about trying to fit it into the main build.
Youtube Channel: ThatsNotMyPirate Youtube Channal
Stream: ThatsNotMyPirate's Live Stream
Facebook: ThatsNotMyPirate's New FaceBook Page
Raid Call Group: Raid call is a free, low resources Voice chat/Text Chat. Join my group, play games with other members, or use it with your friends! Join us in the live stream and more!