Riven Build Guide by Fighter1
[9.10]Fighter1's Challenger Riven Guide [In-depth] [Short]By Fighter1 | Updated on May 26, 2019
Your votes and comments encourage our guide authors to continue
creating helpful guides for the League of Legends community.
Choose Champion Build:
Riven vs Tank/Bruiser
Riven vs Squishies/assasins
Runes: Riven normal
+1-10% CDR (lvls 1-18)
+9 Adaptive (5.4 AD or 9 AP)
Threats & Synergies
+9 Adaptive (5.4 AD or 9 AP)
+9 Adaptive (5.4 AD or 9 AP)
Threats & Synergies
Anyways, Hi, My name is Fighter1, I started playing league at the end of season 2,and I have played riven in atleast 2k games. I was rank 3 LAN in season 8, and challenger on the NA server in season 7. Her builds have changed a lot over the years, but I am sure that these two build options are the best for her in this patch.
-After 4 seconds in combat, you get AD and do 20% true dmg
- Use Conqueror anytime you need sustained DPS. Tanks, bruisers, or really anything with high amounts of HP. Aatrox Camille Cho'Gath Darius Diana Fiora Gangplank Gnar Garen Gragas Illaoi Irelia Jarvan IV Jax Kled Malphite Maokai Nasus Nautilus Olaf Renekton Shen Rumble Ryze Urgot Vladimir Yorick Yasuo
-Killing someone gives 12% MISSING HP and extra gold.
- Always take Triumph for tower dives. Also try to utilize this in teamfights; It allows you to assasinate backline and still have enough hp to fight off the rest of the team once they converge on you.
-Gain increased Attack speed, Tenacity, or Lifesteal as the game progresses.
- All 3 of these choices are viable, you make the decision based on what you feel you need the most in your game, if you can't decide is probably the best option.
-7% extra damage when enemy champions are below 40% hp, Gives you AD on champion kills.
I almost never take resolve because it might be good early game but it hurts you later, however if you're against Renekton + Elise or maybe Gnar + Lee Sin it could save your life. You pay for it in the late game so choose wisely.
- Always take this rune, no exceptions, it allows you to diversify your build depending on the situation.
- Take this if you REALLY want to snowball early, but be CAREFUL because it can end up hurting you more than helping you if you take it in the wrong scenario.
-Allows you to swap summoner spells like Flash and Teleport while they are on cooldown, each time you swap the cooldown reduces by 20seconds.
- use Unsealed Spellbook anytime you do not NEED conqueror. It is riven's best rune in the current meta. Matchups like Kennen Jayce Ekko Pantheon require this rune to win. You can even use it in bruiser matchups like Jax Camille Irelia, IF the rest of the enemy team isn't super tanky. If you take Unsealed Spellbook into heavy tank team compositions you will be useless in the lategame; So, choose wisely.
- I personally don't use this, and have only played a handful of games with it, but I can imagine it working maybe for roaming mid or invading the enemy jungler, so if you can make it work then go for it.
- This is your most gold efficient option. Take Magical Footwear if you plan on scaling for late game, and do not need boots in the early game(do not take this in ranged matchups like Kennen Teemo Jayce. If you combine it with Gathering Storm and Transcendence you get a STRONG POWERSPIKE at 10 minutes.
- Stopwatch is your other late game option. It can save you from early-midgame tower dives, or allow you to tower dive your opponent with little risk of death. It also scales extremely well IF you plan on building a Guardian Angel. The choice between Stopwatch and Magical Footwear is a simple one. If you need boots early, take Stopwatch. If you don't need boots early,even if you are going to buy a Guardian Angel, go Magical Footwear. If you need early boots, AND are not going to buy guardian angel, then Hextech Flashtraption is an option.
- I don't think this is a good rune option. It is extremely gold inefficient and I don't advise to ever take it, until it get's buffed.
- Use Minion Dematerializer to instantly kill cannon minions, and also use atleast 1 on the caster minions and 1 on the melee minions to enable you to instantly clear minion waves without Tiamat. This is your best rune option.
-When using Unsealed Spellbook, Nimbus Cloak becomes a viable option because it synergizes with the high AD burst playstyle.
Like with Conqueror, when using Unsealed Spellbook your best secondary rune option is Sorcery; you should ALWAYS take Transcendence,but for your second rune in the Sorcery tree you have the options of: Nimbus Cloak Scorch Gathering Storm.
- Nimbus Cloak is used for outplay potential.
- Scorch is used for early game snowball.
- Gathering Storm is your most gold efficient option and allows you to scale into the late game with confidence.In solo q, I usually just default to gathering storm because if the going gets rough you can ALWAYS farm up and carry teamfights late game on Riven.
|Long Sword||Long Sword + 3 Health Potion is going to be your best starting item for most matchups, it is a much better option than Doran's Blade on Riven because it allows you to get a quick first base off and purchase Caulfield's Warhammer, it also gives you lots of early game sustain.This is important because Riven's weakest point in the game is lvl's 1-4|
|Doran's Shield||Doran's Shield+ Health Potion is going to be your best starting item if you plan to play safe the early 5 minutes of the game. Ranged matchups or heavy poke matchups like Gangplank Quinn Kennen all require you to start this item. Even some matchups that you just lose early and want to scale up you should take Doran's Shield so you can farm safely against champs like Renekton Illaoi Zed.|
|Caulfield's Warhammer||Caulfield's Warhammer is your first powerspike. The 10% cdr will most likely make most of your cooldowns shorter than your opponent's, So try to take a short trade with them, and engage on them as soon as your cooldowns come up and before their's do. Also, BUY A CONTROL WARD.|
|Kindlegem||Kindlegem will give you 20% cooldown reduction and really give you an opportunity to start abusing your opponent with your much lower cooldowns. Once you get this item don't be afraid to use Blade of the Exile it will have a short cooldown.|
|Black Cleaver Caulfield's Warhammer||Once you get Black Cleaver Caulfield's Warhammer and Transcendence you have 45% cdr and are extremely strong. Once you hit level 11 and get level 2 Blade of the Exile you can probably look to solo kill your lane opponent.|
|Black Cleaver||Black Cleaver is Riven's go to item anytime you need some hp and armor shred. It has % armor shred so it becomes more effective the more armor your opponent has; build this against tanks or anytime your opponent is stacking armor and you need HP to survive burst damage.|
|Death's Dance||Death's Dance is Riven's perfect item. It gives you sustain, lots of damage and good cooldown reduction. Black Cleaver Death's Dance has been riven's core 2 items since the item came out. It is extremely strong and gives you a high amount of damage reduction that you can bleed onto Valor, so make sure you are using Valor whenever it is off cooldown.|
|Guardian Angel||Guardian Angel is your best option against heavy AD team comps, or if you were forced to build Mercury's Treads, but you still need some armor. This is why Riven's main 3 core items are Black Cleaver Death's Dance Guardian Angel. An extremely versatile build that can work vs tanks and squishy comps. It has low initial burst but very high ramp up damage, build this trio if your team needs a Raidboss tanky riven frontline.|
|Ravenous Hydra||Riven can use any of her abilities to cancel the Ravenous Hydra active so it is an extremely useful item on her. It gives you instant waveclear and EXTREMELY high burst potential. Use it if you plan to splitpush and 1v1 kill your solo lane, or if you are really ahead and not afraid of dieing in a teamfight. Plus it's a fun item to use.|
|Mortal Reminder||you can sometimes just buy Executioner's Calling if you need the healing reduction against like Soraka or Dr. Mundo. Upgrade to the full Mortal Reminder when you need the armor penetration.|
|Maw of Malmortius||Maw of Malmortius is an extremely good item against heavy AP team comps. It works particularly well at surviving AP burst champs like Ekko LeBlanc Evelynn Karthus Orianna Fizz Kennen Vladimir. Pick this up if Mercury's Treads just aren't enough magic resist.|
|Mercurial Scimitar||Probably the most satisfying item on Riven to have. It builds out of Quicksilver Sash which gives you a trump card in teamfights and 1v1 situations. However, the gold efficiency of this item is quite low at 81%, So only but it if you REALLY NEED that life saving cleanse against champs like Malzahar Skarner Lissandra Ahri. A secret tip too that not many know about is Quicksilver Sash in combination with a movement spell like Valor or Flash can actually cleanse knockups like Cho'Gath's Rupture or Malphite's Unstoppable Force.(See Tips and Tricks)|
|Sterak's Gage||Sterak's Gage has really good synergy with Black Cleaver Death's Dance because the shield will tank the Death's Dance bleed passive. It is a great option if you really want to be a frontliner, or if you need it to tank high burst true damage like Darius's Noxian Guillotine or Camille's Precision Protocol. Basically, if you're feeding and you just need to be a useful meat sponge buy a Sterak's Gage.|
|Duskblade of Draktharr||Duskblade of Draktharr is a really strong option when using Unsealed Spellbook and playing the bursty one-shot riven playstyle against squishy champs. You can rush this first item against any squishy lane opponents or if you are snowballing early. A Burst Riven core build with Unsealed Spellbook will look something like this: Duskblade of Draktharr Youmuu's Ghostblade Black Cleaver Ninja Tabi Ravenous Hydra Guardian Angel.(you can swap out Black Cleaver for Edge of Night if they aren't stacking armor.|
|Youmuu's Ghostblade||Youmuu's Ghostblade synergizes with both Conqueror and Unsealed Spellbook. When running Conqueror, Build Youmuu's Ghostblade if you need extra movement speed around the map and in teamfights, a core build with Conqueror will look like: Black Cleaver, Death's Dance, Youmuu's Ghostblade. When running Unsealed Spellbook, Youmuu's Ghostblade can be built the same way as conqueror, however against squishy enemy teamp comps a core item may look like: Youmuu's Ghostblade, Duskblade of Draktharr, Death's Dance. It's passive helps you roam around the map and flank small skirmishes or assasinate individual's caught out of position.|
Riven has no resources so try to keep it charged at 3 stacks as much as possible it will help you last hit,trade and all in.
You cannot use Q backwards(if riven is facing north, and you use q with your mouse on a south direction, she will q north a short distance See Video Below) Broken Wings deals physical damage to all enemies in front of her. Broken Wings can then be reactivated twice within the next 4 seconds, with the second cast refreshing the timer.The 3rd cast of Broken Wings has a small AOE knockup for .5 seconds.Pay close Attention to my mouse positions.
Riven can combine movement abilities with Quicksilver Sash to cleanse knockups/knockbacks like Yasuo's Last Breath and Lee Sin's Dragon's Rage.