This build has been archived by the author. They are no longer supporting nor updating this build and it may have become outdated. As such, voting and commenting have been disabled and it no longer appears in regular search results.
We recommend you take a look at this author's other builds.
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page
Rampant Renekton, an In-Depth Renekton Guide by Embracing
Your votes and comments encourage our guide authors to continue
creating helpful guides for the League of Legends community.
Reign of Anger (PASSIVE)
Renekton Passive Ability
DISCLAIMER: This guide's information may be outdated in many ways due to my lack of free time to edit. However I will be constantly updating the cheatsheet when I find out better ways to play Renekton!
- Build One items shuffled around a bit. Force of Nature too overkill just for one AP, so I replaced it with a GA. A Negatron Cloak and health is enough to deal with one AP.
- Changed back from Heal/ Ignite to Ignite/ Flash - Flash still most reliable spell in most general situations.
- Changed from Warmog's Armor to Frozen Mallet - Warmog nerfs + damage / slow on Fromal
- Marks changed from ArPen to flat AD - Mastery changes made this boss.
- Masteries changed from 9/21/0 to 21/9/0 - Top lane is really aggressive right now, and Renekton can snowball a lot better with these masteries.
- Added a build two section and two scenarios:
1) First one of build two is if you snowballed early and got an advantage, but you cannot use that advantage well enough thus transitioning to defenses.
2) Second one of build two is if you snowballed early and kept applying pressure and kept dominating from then.
- Minor bug fixes.
- Added a VS AP and Getting Raped sample build on top
- Changed masteries a bit - changed from Vampirism and Lethality to Sorcery
- Changed a LOT of formatting; hopefully it looks better ^ ^
- Removed cheatsheets at top of guide
- Added two new sections; Sample Builds and Getting Raped
- Revamped cheatsheet + items section
- Slight fixes to the "I'm getting raped" section
- Fixed Lane Harass B
- Revamped cheatsheet and masteries
- Revamped cheatsheets
- Updated item list
- Updated information
- Changed skilling order and fixed introduction and skilling explanations
- Updated itemization
Renekton's current status and role of the game is a tanky armor-shredder. With large amounts of health Renekton can easily sustain through teamfights, and combined with Slice and Dice, enemies will have low armor values which leaves them vulnerable to damage from your ADC.
Consumed by his anger, Renekton turned on the one being who could defeat him -- his own brother. Nasus pleaded with Renekton to see reason. Realizing that he was beyond redemption, the despondent Nasus valiantly struck down his wayward sibling. Defenseless, Renekton waited eagerly for death's release. It never came. He was spared when summoners from the League of Legends claimed his brother. Caught in the wake of this powerful spell, Renekton tumbled for what seemed like ages between realities. When he finally emerged, he fell deep into the sewers of Zaun. Insane with fury, Renekton languished in his newfound home, driven senseless by his rage. That is until, by happenstance, he caught a familiar scent on the air. Believing that the familiar scent who guide him to the solace which was fading from his memory, he his brother all the way to the Institute of War.
''My brother has become hollow. Full of rage, but empty.'' -- Nasus, the Curator of the Sands.
+ Strong laning phase with large damage radius.
+ Great pushing potential.
+ Double-dash for easy gap-closing.
+ Powerful low-cd sustain ability.
+ On-hit burst + stun.
+ HP and AOE damage buff in ultimate.
+ Needs no mana, even gains fury by every hit!
+ EXTREMELY fun to play!
- High cooldowns.
- Short dash if not touching enemies.
- Easy kited when dash is on CD
- Damage falls off as game progresses
- Auto-pushes lane with haras (sometimes bad)
- Dependant on items
- Minimal damage to tankier champions
- Nothing else, really.
- Greater Mark of Desolation: Allows for more burst to enemy champions and scales well with AD.
- Greater Seal of Armor: Core seals for dealing with minion damage and enemy laners
- Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist: Standard tanky DPS glyphs that prevent enemy casters from nuking you to death mid-game before you get MR items. Provides a hefty amount of MR at lvl 18, and helps a lot mid game against casters.
- Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage: Necessary for early game lane control
- Greater Mark of Attack Damage: Strong for last hitting and lane control but slightly weaker than ArPen marks for harass
- Greater Glyph of Magic Resist: Another great setup for Renekton. Use this setup if you know your enemy laner is going to be a heavy AP laner.
- Greater Quintessence of Movement Speed: Another top pick for Renekton, as it will help a lot with early game harass and chasing.
Provides best stats for Renekton, since Renekton is better off with more tankiness in his early game lane because of his already-strong damage in lane. The damage mitigation will help a lot with his lane sustain and mid game tankiness.
Ignite provides so much extra damage early game and late game. Can be used for that last finishing touch to a kill and greatly adds on to killing potential.
Still one of the strongest spells in game because of its blinking capabilities. You can still use this aggressively in teamfights, and defensively to jump over walls.
Another great summoner spell on Renekton. A great escape mechanism along with your Slice and Dice, and is awesome for chasing. Brings less utility than Flash, but now that Flash was nerfed, Ghost has a lot more usage in solotop lanes now for covering distance. Generally best used when enemy laners have little blinks and dashes.
Reign of Anger
|ABC||This makes Renekton what he is. Gives him that red bar of rage below his health! This passive boosts up so much of every other ability.|
- Try to get your fury bar above 50% for maximum harass in lane.
- Remember the bonuses >50% fury gives each ability!
Cull the Meek
|abc||Cull the Meek is Renekton's bread and butter all game. It gives Renekton so much sustain and harass early game. Does a GREAT amount of AoE damage with a large radius and low cooldown. Allows for insanely strong chain-harass and AOE burst.|
- Use Cull the Meek with >50% fury for extra sustain in lane.
- Don't be afraid to spam this in lane for harass or sustain!
- Make sure you don't ruin lane freezing with this ability.
- If you're almost down and a DoT will kill you, use Cull the Meek for that last bit of health to save your life.
|abc||A great stun that lets Renekton pretty much 1v1 anybody. Deals two or three hits along with a stun, while also resetting the autoattack timer. Allows you to be the first to dive in and lead your team to focus down one target, while preventing him / her to escape.|
- Be sure to focus down the right targets with this ability.
- While running from one target, you can stun them to ensure your escape.
- If you see enemies put down a ward, dash to it and autoattack, then immediately use Ruthless Predator to kill it before it stealths.
Slice and Dice
|abc||Renekton's gap closer that isn't like any other. It has a small range without applying the second effect, but as long as it touches any sort of enemy, you can do a double dash. Allows you to chase up to people, does great damage, and shreds armor along with >50% fury! This gives Renekton the ability to harass like mad early game, and also gives so much mobility during the whole game.|
|abc||An Ultimate just like Nasus's. Provides him with a HUGE amount of HP, an awesome DoT around him, and constantly gives him fury. This ability allows Renekton to dive in the fray while being tanky enough to do massive damage, while also lettting Renekton to easily 1v1 anybody throughout the whole game.|
- Use Dominus when near enemies to do massive amounts of AoE.
- Dominus provides a lot of HP, so when you're running away and almost dead, using this might actually save you.
- If you get ganked or see two enemies that are low, you can probably score a double kill just with this ult. Do NOT underestimate it. The timings must be mastered by yourself in game.
- Has a decent range, so if you're near an enemy running away from you, popping this can ensure the kill.
- Allows Renekton to easily turret dive any enemy that's low.
|Lane Harass A:||ABC||Slice and Dice(In) --> Ruthless Predator --> Cull the Meek --> Slice and Dice(Out)|
|Lane Harass B:||ABC||Slice and Dice(In) --> Cull the Meek --> Ruthless Predator --> AA --> Cull the Meek|
|Chase:||ABC||Slice and Dice(1st) --> Slice and Dice(2nd) --> Ruthless Predator --> Cull the Meek--> Rinse and Repeat|
|Initiation:||ABC||Slice and Dice(1st) --> Ruthless Predator --> Cull the Meek --> Dominus --> Then depending on the situation|
|Escape:||ABC||Ruthless Predator --> Slice and Dice(1st) --> Slice and Dice(2nd) --> AND IF NECESSARY --> Flash|
Q > E > W > E > E > R > E > Q > E > Q > R > Q > Q > W > W > R > W > WSimply said, R > E > Q > W
I start off getting a point in each ability for maximum lane control early game.
Getting a point in Ruthless Predator first is strong for the strong burst it gives at level 1.
I start off maxing Slice and Dice because the armor shred is what gives Renekton his strong presence through harasses, duels, and teamfights. The armor shred proves to be very effective early game against low armor or medium armor targets. Though you lack out in huge amounts of sustain, you still have enough to cope with lane phase.
After that I'd max Cull the Meek for the AOE nuke which synergizes greatly with your ultimate and also provides massive amounts of sustain. Maxing Cull the Meek next gives Renekton his key damage output in teamfights and also sustains him up as well.
Lastly max Ruthless Predator because it's a one-point-wonder, with each successive level not giving as much as his other abilities.
Of course, add points in Dominus whenever you can (6,11,16).
If you're having problems in lane maxing Cull the Meek first helps to sustain and helps you survive through lane while also giving you key damage output. After that max Ruthless Predator or Slice and Dice depending on what you need (lower cooldown and armor shred versus lower cd stun)
Alternatively if you're against a weak laner or need the early heavy CC maxing Ruthless Predator gives you a huge nuke early game.
It all depends on the enemy laner.
These are the core items for Renekton. The double Giant's Belt build helps a lot for suvivability and tankiness mid-game for dives. Renekton also has really high damage as well, which helps greatly. Sunfire's Cape also helps for pushing a lot.
9 Health Potions + 2 Sight WardsCommon starting items for solo-top at the current moment. Early game is focused on sustain, and grabbing the pots and wards will help with sustain and safety.
Elixir of Fortitude + 4 Health Potions + Sight Ward:
REALLY strong snowball build. The red pot is used when you are low (gives instant health) or when going all in and needing extra damage. Pots are good for sustain and ward gives safety as well.
Giant's BeltThis is a great item to buy for lane control. It gives a LARGE amount of health, and also builds off into Warmog's Armor or Frozen Mallet.
KindlegemA great item that provides a decent amount of health, but most importantly, CDR. A great item to get early on. Further explained in Core Items.
The BrutalizerBest early game tanky DPS item to ever get. Provides just the right amount of Armor Penetration for you to be a nasty threat to carries.Really cost effective, and generally always the first item you want to aim for if not Kindlegem. This item provides most of the damage you need from mid to late game.
Chain VestStandard armor item to get versus strong AD. Rush this into Sunfire's Cape for massive anti-melee potential.
HexdrinkerA GREAT anti caster item for Renekton. Gives a hefty amount of MR and AD, which both benefit Renekton. Costs relatively low, and is a great item now since the release of Maw. Provides a great passive that will save you from nukes like Karthus's Requiem.
Mercury's TreadsOne of the best boots in the game. Provides massive amounts of CC reduction while also giving a decent amount of MR. Every team comp usually has more then 3 CC's, so generally you'll always be getting these boots.
Ionian Boots of LucidityA GREAT pair of boots that provide 15% CDR, which is almost half the amount of max CDR. CDR benefits Renekton a LOT. I still prefer to get Mercury's Treads for the tenacity though, since tenacity is so favored in the current game.
Ninja TabiAnother viable choice of boots. Gives a decent amount of early game armor for a really cheap price with a decent unique that furthermore lowers enemy damage. I generally get this if I'm up against an unfavorable strong lane, or if the enemy has a strong AD jungler. Like Lee Sin or Darius for example.
Warmog's ArmorThe flat health on this item simply gives the survivability Renekton needs for mid game. By purchasing this item Renekton's bulkiness lets him have an extremely strong presence while building up to other items.
KindlegemA core early game item on Renekton to further his early game advantage. The health allows for more harass soak and the CDR helps for harassing. This item is extremely cheap and also builds into stronger late game items like Spirit Visage if having trouble with APs or Zeke's Herald when your team needs it.
Last WhisperAnother great addition to armor penetration which allows for a larger damage output to enemy carries buying armor and enemy tanks as well.
The BloodthirsterA strong damage item for mid / late game when you actually need the damage output and sustain. The item helps you damage carries and bruisers in the front line, giving you a lot of presence in a fight.
Spirit VisageA great tanky item that gives a heap of MR. Is generally a great item to buy that builds out from Kindlegem, a core early game item. The passive improves your hp regeneration, which is helpful with aura buffs and baron buff.
Sunfire CapeA great item that provides a LOT of HP and armor. Brings in an awesome AoE passive that synergizes so well with his ultimate.
Randuin's OmenAnother great item that provides a MASSIVE amount of armor while also providing an active slow that will really improve your chasing capabilities. This item is probably the single best anti-AD carry item because it greatly slows your carries when diving them (they are forced to attack you) and serves its slow role much better than Frozen Mallet does.
Renekton has a really strong early game in lane. He is, if not, one of the best laners in game. What you'll be focusing on early game is last hitting, farming, like every other solo top champion, and outlaning the enemy solo top.
Farming is the most important concept for a solo top champion along with harass and lane control. Unless mid game starts earlier, which would be something along the lines of a teamfight / group push at mid, you'll want to be pushing or pressuring the enemies the whole time. Generally you can start efficient harassing at lvl 3. Always make sure to ward your own lane. Also don't overpush your own lane when the enemies are near top, because sometimes even if you see the enemy jungler coming, they can reach you before you escape. When you see the enemy jungler somewhere else, you are free to push your lane and roam with that advantage.
At this point you probably will have a Warmog's Armor and Black Cleaver. You'll generally want to aim for around 200 CS in 20 minutes.
Generally, if you played well, you can assure victory solely at mid game, because of the massive threat Renekton is mid game. Renekton is a threat to all enemies in a teamfight, because his Dominus provides so much tankiness, while his other abilities give him so much more AoE AD damage. He can pretty much turret dive any champion that's near half health, because of his Dominus and Cull the Meek. In mid game you can easily lead dives and invades and force objectives.
Always aim to either peel for your carries or dive the enemy carries.
Tank damage for your teammates, shred down the enemies, and win!
Also thanks to Voyboy's Renekton guide on SoloMid.NET! For all of you who don't know who he is, he's probably the best Renekton player in this game.
Thanks for everyone who provided good feedback! Especially Psiguard and whoever provided a lot of help!
Thanks for reading this guide. I've spent a lot of effort writing this guide, and I hope it has helped you in some way. I hope you enjoy this interior crocodile alligator and have great success with him!
Again, thanks a bunch!
You must be logged in to comment. Please login or register.