This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page
The Lone Ninja
Your votes and comments encourage our guide authors to continue
creating helpful guides for the League of Legends community.
- Vorpal Blade is your main harass ability. It doesn't involve a skillshot, and does a small amount of damage to an enemy and leaving them marked. Attacking this enemy heals you depending on your maximum health. I find items such as Spirit Visage to work great with this ability. I always max this ability first.
- Feint is a great defensive item and a factor of why Shen is such a good tank. Due to its short CD and energy cost rather than mana, makes you able to spam while in fights.
- Shadow Dash is your mobility ability. Great for when escaping as it lets you pass through walls. It also can be used for chasing down opponents as hitting them taunts them.
- Stand United is just amazing. You can use it to teleport to allies in need, or even escaping ganks. This also shields your ally from incoming damage.
Greater Glyph of Magic Resist - Perfect when against AP tanks such as Singed, but can also make you that little bit more tanky.
Greater Mark of Magic Penetration - Ideal for adding that extra damage with your abilities for harassing enemies.
Greater Quintessence of Magic Resist - Overall greater magic resistance.
Greater Seal of Armor - Adds more damage resistance towards enemy basic attacks.
Greater Mark of Attack Speed - This could be beneficial for Shen due to his Ki Strike.
Greater Quintessence of Armor - You might prefer this over magic resistance depending on who your opponent is.
I find this to be the best ability sequence for Shen. I always max Q first. This allows you to harass your opponents while not having to build any AD items. I then build my W for extra defense, and lastly E. Upgrading your ultimate when ever you can still applies like all other champions.
- I always get this when playing tank. The extra damage resistance can really help you survive.
- building block can help defend against AD champions, as well as Unyielding .
- Extra maximum health can improve you survive that little bit longer and also works very well with Vorpal Blade.
- Adds more magic resistance and armor, same reason for Hardiness and Resistance .
- This improves your overall DPS and the effectiveness of Ki Strike.
- I prefer to use this to add more armor penetration.
- This is also an ideal for Shen due to his abilities.
- This can be useful as Shen's ultimate Stand United has a very long cooldown.
- This is my main spell for Shen. It allows him to catch up with opponents or escape them. It can also be used to dodge abilities such as Ezreal's ultimate Trueshot Barrage.
- I use this spell as it adds that extra damage to opponents, can get you a kill from low health escaping champions, and can counter health regenerating champions such as Master Yi when he uses Meditate.
- I tend not to use this, however it can be very useful when chasing and escaping enemy champions. I find Flash to be more effective though.
- This is a great choice for Shen. Even though he already has his own teleport Stand United, this allow him to gank lanes from anywhere.
- This item is amazing for Shen. It's not hugely expensive, gives you that extra tank bonus and AS. I would always take this item.
- I chose this over other boots due to its magic resistance and tenacity even though it is the most expensive boots. This can also benefit you in team fights.
- This is a tank must. Its bonus health and armor makes you harder to kill, and its passive really helps in team fights.
- A great item for Shen. Gives you bonus health and armor and a constant damage passive. Perfect for a tank.
- I like to take this item due to its bonus health and its slow passive. Very effective when chasing opponents.
- This is a good choice for an item because of its tank bonus and CD. This works very well with Vorpal Blade and Feint as they both already have short cooldowns, allowing you to use these abilities one after another.
- I sometimes get this while playing, but it really depends on your opponents. Take this if you are getting harassed.
- Useful when playing an AD champion. I wouldn't get this in any other situation.
- This can come in handy as a late game item in case you somehow die.
- Although frozen heart builds mana, its passive can be very useful in team fights. It also gives a great CD reduction and armor bonus.
My starting build consists of:
I use this as the extra movement speed in case of early game ganks. The Health Potion's are fairly obvious.
Other Starting Builds
This can also be an acceptable starting build if you are up against an AD champion. I prefer the boots so you can build Mercury's Treads earlier in game.
Using Flash then Shadow Dash can become very effective when chasing opponents.
Feint and Shadow Dash can leave your enemy doing barely any damage to you.
If you can see your teammate escape with Ignite on him, using Stand United on him might just save him.