Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Kazega's Thread of Review

Creator: Kazega November 30, 2011 11:57pm
1 2 3 4 5 6
Kazega
<Member>
Kazega's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 30, 2011 11:57pm | Report
Hey all:

Kazega here with the most original idea ever! I'm going to Review guides! Alright Joke time is over Business time has begun so now it is time to get started

How does this work?
Well, it works like this: you post saying you want your guide to be reviewed I will will review it and give you my comments, critiques, and any other information I think you might need. I will rate on:
  • Presentation (5 Points): The guide is well presented and formatted for an easy read. It also makes clever use of columns, colored text, icons, and other coded items.
  • Content (3 points): The cheat sheet makes sense and is usable to the average player.
  • Conveyance (5 points): The guide presents your ideas and thoughts on the champion, build, and game play aspects involving the topic the guide is written around. Sound reasoning is used and explained when it comes to your decisions.
  • Spelling/Gammar (3 points): The Guide is free of major spelling and grammar errors.
  • Total Score: out of 16 possible points I will hand out an official grade. Anything below 7 will be downvoted, 7-13 will not be voted up or down, and 14-16 will receive an up vote
If the guide is lacking in any area I will say so and give you advice on how to fix it. I will also share any major notes.

Request Format and other Requirements

When you make a request I must ask that you:
  • Be a level 30 summoner
  • have a "respectable" post count here on Mobafire.
  • be polite when asking for, and responding to, a review.

and please use this format below:
  • Summoner Name
  • Post count at time of Request
  • Guide is for: (Champion Name) Summoner's Rift/Crystal Scar/Both
  • Have you played the Champion since the Last patch? Yes/No (N/A for general guides)
  • Why I want the guide to be reviewed: (it's OK to be selfish here I don't judge on that)
  • Guide Link

The first thing I will do is check you summoner Profile, namely your recent games. this is important because if I catch someone lying I will either not review the guide, or be very harsh in my reviews. after that I will scroll through your guide real quick to get a general formatting outlook and then I will read it and take notes on a things I find note worthy, both good and bad.

In return I ask that you look at my guides, leave a comment and vote as you see fit. It isn't really necessary but those that do will be put at a higher priority on my Review list. I will be honest, brutally so if I need to be. It will sting if it gets to that but I hope that you take it in stride and make your guide better because of it.

You may ask for Re-reviews if I don't +1 your guide

Thing I say repeatedly

Consolidate your Information: All of the information you have should be presented in an orderly and efficient manner. This means that all similar subject matter should be grouped together. For example if you have a section on your guide explaining how a skill works in depth, the section should be near where you explain your skills. Also you shouldn't have thirteen chapters on laning, jungling or anything else. Keep chapters to a minimum

Don't Compare Items: Just don't. All items in the game are good and serve a purpose, but because of this all items can be bad and do nothing. Comparing items directly is a bad habit and should be kicked as soon as it can be. So instead compare their applications to the subject matter. Every item is good and bad for a reason. look at Banshee's Veil vs Force of Nature both are similarly priced, having only a 100G difference. Which is better? well that depends on the Application of the item. So once again compare how the items can be applied to your subject matter rather than the actual items.

REQUESTS ARE:
CLOSED

Done Reviews

Noobypower's Tristana: the little package of Destruction
Presentation: 5/5
Content: 2/3
Conveyance: 4/5
Spelling/Grammar: 3/3
TOTAL: 14/16

A couple issues with the Cheat sheet due to an early Infinity Edge (I just don't like it early) and Quint of Strength knocks it down a point for me. Quint of Desolation is much better since it drops more armor than what the prior adds to your strength. Another point is dropped for feeling a little unfocused about trying to run a better early game or farming out to the late, but I might be misinterpreting what you are saying. You also fail to mention "Step Micro" aka "Studder Stepping" after promising to go into detail about it. Overall this is a great guide and every Trist player can learn something buy reading this. +1
  • Try building Youmuu's Ghostblade first for a better mid game
  • I did not know you could cast while using Rocket Jump
  • I connected with Rocket Jump and it’s tower diving potential. I say similar things about Katarina Players

Calibern's Xin Zhao: The bane of Squishies
Presentaion: 4/5
Content : 3/3
Spelling Grammar: 2/3
Total: 13/16
This is a good guide, but it could be better. You spend time talking about laning when the first thing you stated was that Xin isn’t meant for Ranked Laning due to nerfs. This gave me the impression that this would be a ranked guide and would focus on Jungling. If this is wrong you should probably move this warning to your Jungle Section. Your skill chapter looks a little weird due to icon placement and the border columns in your item section seem a little cramped, the text is right up against the icons. I caught a quite a few grammatical errors, too many to go unnoticed, and I am sure there are more.

This guide obviously has a lot of time and effort put into it. It just needs a little more. Run some fact checks and get some proof reading done
  • One build to your cheat sheet, in this case use your Jungle Build
  • I am not sure if .2 of a percent is worth having a weird rune set.
  • I loved how your explained laning partners/opponents

Taneran's Taric: all-around support / AP, Jungle / AD andTank
Presentation: 4/5
Content: 1/3
Conveyance: 2/5
Spelling/Grammar 3/3
Total: 10/16

It was really hard for me to read through this guide. I feel like you are trying to do too much with this guide. Formatting could be better (use varying text sizes) and a lot of information could be consolidated and placed better. The best way to do that is to have a section on only Support Taric. Start with the Pregame set-up and build and explain the gameplay and ward placement. Do the same with your other builds and finally include general information like Enemy champions, laning partners and so-on. A quick way to solve this is to stick to one or two builds. But whatever you do, consolidation is much needed in this guide.

Fictionized's Shyvana: Jungling and Solo Drakes
Conveyance: 3/5
Spelling Grammar: 3/3
Total: 12/16

There are a couple issues with the guide when it comes to conveyance. The first thing I would like to point out is your argument between Wit’s End and Malady: both your arguments for Malady are the same thing, and your argument against Wit’s End is the same as you arguments for Malady. Why Malady is GOOD isn’t why Wit’s End is BAD. Why Wit’s End is bad is why it is bad. Try not to compare competing items against each other when deciding which is better. Your Runes section is Redundant: with almost identical runes when it comes to Solo Top and Jungle Shyvana you only need to explain everything once. Your core items contain situational items. Core items are Item’s you will build on Shyvana EVERYTIME. And lastly you Jungle section should be before your (solo) laning section since it is first one your cheat sheet. Some other things I found
  • Instead of “Flamebreath vs Twin Bite,” explain “Why Flamebreath?” The Armor Debuff is flat across all levels
  • Flamebreath before Twin bite for the previous Debuff Reasons
  • Wolves > wraiths > Small Golem > Lizard > B > Wolves > Blue Golem > Wraiths Small Golem > Gank Bot or B

Kirluu's Garen: The Unbeatable Solo Top
Presentaion: 3/5

The similarities between your builds on the cheat sheet don’t warrant having two separate builds on display. Stick with one and explain the other one later on. You make some nice use of formatting, but you need a little more of it: try using different sized text and use colors to illustrate key points. Your reasoning is sound, but the lack of formatting in your gameplay section hurts your conveyance and presentation scores. Your items section also seems to be cluttered. Finally you don’t really have some information on laning. You go straight into how to counter enemies. How do you harass, farm, and countering other laning phase hazards.
  • ”Can be viable” doesn’t make any sense it is or it isn’t viable. Not it is viable on Thursday but not Saturday.
  • I am not sure a point in Arcane mastery is worth it
  • Place your note about the Mastery section with the Mastery Section

Sirspankalot's Skarner Jungle guide
Presentaion: 4/5
Spelling.Grammar 3/3

For a Jungling guide I don’t really see a lot of information about jungling. Other things I see wrong is mainly due to clunky formatting in your item and rune sections. You don’t really list out core items you just go through your normal build. Make sure to differentiate between core items and situational items. You don’t go into ganking or the actual jungling of Skarner outside of your route. Finally the warding section is a little dry; you should just go over the basics in one or two sentences, and link to a warding guide for more information.
  • Your thanks and other information should be towards the end of your guide
  • Masteries are a little weird for a jungler with your lack of Bladed Armor
  • Alternate Mastery sets should also be presented

Zoki's Yi: The master of Disaster
Presentation 3/5
Content 3/3
Conveyance 4/5
Spelling/Grammar 2/3
Total:12/16

You have some nice ideas. But some conveyance is lost in the clunky formatting. One major issue I see with this guide is you have a chapter with every little thing. Instead consolidate your sections: the jungling ones in particular, into larger chapters. Your items section has an interesting format but I feel that formatting issues interfere with what you want to say. I took few notes on your comparison of Youmuu’s and Phantom Dancer. As a rule you should never compare the two items directly. Instead compare their applications to Master Yi. For example: “Youmuu’s passive of 15% CDR is not needed because Highlander refreshes your abilities on a champion kill,” or “Wuju style and Highlander make Phantom Dancer not practical since they add attack speed to Master Yi already.” Over all a good guide but a lot of polish is needed here.
  • Link your tips and tricks to your Alpha strike chapter
  • I feel that you can explain your masteries a little better
  • I noticed quite a few spelling and Grammar errors as well

Xiron's Wukong: U No Steal Bananas
Presentation: 2/5
Conveyance: 2/5
Total: 9/16

There isn’t much of a Format to talk about and that hurts your Presentation and Conveyance more than what you would think. You have a lot of walls and nothing to really separate them. You need more explanations in general, particularly when it comes to Runes and Items. All of your Information is in a wall of text, making it very hard to grab at your key points, which again hurts your presentation and Conveyance. In order to get through everything it took me a lot longer than it should have because of how dry this guide is. I’m not so sure this deserves the top spot
  • Formatting is really killing this guide it desperately needs a second Version
  • Use Colors to help Key points stand out
  • I feel that you need to spend more time explaining your choices

Abzilla's Ryze: The Mana Hungry Mage
Presentation: 3/5
Total: 11/16

There looks to be some formatting problems a few areas: and lack of formatting in others. You have some pretty good ideas, but a lot of them are countered by redundant thought process and poor explanations. Several things you have are just redundant. You don’t need as much CDR as you think you do with Arcane Mastery and Overload’s passive AND Frozen Heart. Your Runes don’t make a whole lot of sense to me as well. Your explanations are really very weak. If I challenged you on this build I probably would reveal a severe lack of knowledge.
  • Explain a lot more summoner spells: I was disappointed in the lack of Clarity in your guide.
  • Explain Ryze’s skill set. Assume that your reader knows nothing about the subject matter at hand know what he does or how to use it. If I play Ryze right now I would be going in bind
  • Better use of Formatting. Use Icons and columns cleverly to boost the appearance of the guide.

Tr4ce's Oriana: Youknow you want to touch these balls
Presentation: 2/5
Total: 10/16

Total lack of formatting really hurts here and you shouldn’t ever rule out. Never talk about landing kills in a guide unless your champion is specifically meant for it, namely Assassin class Champions. That is pretty much all I have to say. Presentation takes a major hit due to lack of Formatting, Conveyance and Content take lesser hits for the same reason.
  • Read Jhoijhoi’s guide on guides, it should help you along
  • Your Disclaimer isn’t needed needed, people will do what the feel with or without your approval

Avisera's Talon: the Noxian Blade

You have a great layout and Format is great aside from a few minor hiccups. Your masteries are a little weird. Havoc is a terrible mastery and shouldn’t be invested in. Same with Crit chance masteries since you say that you can’t brawl very well, so try to narrow your Offensive skills to allow for a 21-9 split for a better early game. I love the Video and Commentary you have. I would place it near the end of the guide rather than at the beginning. You should tell, and then show. Overall a good guide
  • Never off Runes of Strength. Armor Pen is greater than AD any day
  • The Bottom Lane is a Pushing lane; Talon isn’t that good because he is a caster, not a brawler.
  • Explain different Pros and cons in the build order for Tri Force. I know a Talon player that builds Sheen before Phage and does well with it.
  • Highlight key points with colored text to boost your conveyance

Avisera's Fizz: Fishy Five Cape
Presentation: 3/5
Total: 11/16

More of the same with your Talon guide, but it is a little worse due to a lack of refinement and lack of information rather than it just being bad. Again you put too much effort into your Offensive tree and again Havoc is a bad mastery. Trim down on Offense and drop those points elsewhere. Otherwise fix your formatting little and add a Gameplay section and it should be good to go.
  • Start explaining your choice a little more thoroughly and even your back up choice
  • Never upgrade to Lich Bane too early: its most useful trait on Fizz actually might lose power if you do it too early
  • Try Flat AP quints to better compliment your scaling Glyphs

Review Queue

Nicknamemy's Garen: Spin to Win is Possibl(y) Revamped
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 1, 2011 12:15am | Report
Nice, I will add this to our list of other reviewers.

Also +Rep for doing this :)

Thanks to Hoppermh for the signature!
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 1, 2011 12:32am | Report
You spelt crystal scar wrong :p but great initiative! +rep :)
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by me ♡
NoobyPower
<Member>
NoobyPower's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 1, 2011 12:42am | Report
I will post a request for a review... soon :P
Did I help you out? +Rep me :)

Check out my Tristana guide! Tristana: The Little Package of Destruction (OLD)

New Tristana guide coming soonTM
Kazega
<Member>
Kazega's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 1, 2011 1:03am | Report
jhoijhoi wrote:

You spelt crystal scar wrong :p but great initiative! +rep :)
..... I'm not changing it.

...Ok maybe I will
NoobyPower
<Member>
NoobyPower's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 1, 2011 3:55am | Report
My request here:

Summoner Name: NoobyPower

Post Count at Time of Request: 65 Posts

Guide is for: Tristana -> Summoner's Rift

Have you played the Champion since the Last Patch? Yes

Why I want the guide to be reviewed: To receive feedback and suggestions on possible improvements, as well as to possibly increase traffic flow to my guide.

Guide Link: http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/build/tristana-the-little-package-of-destruction-137728

Thanks! ^_^
Did I help you out? +Rep me :)
Thanks to jhoijhoi for the sigs!

Check out my Tristana guide! Tristana: The Little Package of Destruction (OLD)

New Tristana guide coming soonTM
Calibern
<Member>
Calibern's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 1, 2011 4:13am | Report
Summoner Name: Calibern
Post count at time of Request: 355
Guide is for: Xin Zhao Summoner's Rift
Have you played the Champion since the Last patch? Yes
Why I want the guide to be reviewed: Don't really know what to add, so need more comments
Guide Link:http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/build/xin-zhao-the-bane-of-squishies-97878
Xin Guide
Clicking the Rep button will end the world, do not click it! (Reverse psychology FTW)
Thank to AlexanPT, JakofAllSpaydes,JEFFY40HANDS, KingCasanova and reppinFTC for the amazing signatures.

Kazega
<Member>
Kazega's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 1, 2011 5:08am | Report
Nooby's guide has been reviewed. Calibern I'll get to yours tomorrow.
Taneren
<Member>
Taneren's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 1, 2011 7:06am | Report
Summoner name: Taneren. EU-West.
Post count at time of Request: 124
Guide is for: Taric Summoner's Rift.
Have you played the Champion since the Last patch? No, but they only buffed his AP ratio, so that only make him stronger, won't matter for the guide.
Why I want the guide to be reviewed: I have used a lot of time on this guide, and I am constantly attempting to upgrade it to the best possible. It would mean a lot to me, if you could check it out, I am open for both negative and positive criticism, so don't hold back :) Of course the jungle had a change, so I will be updating that part later on and add a new video.
Guide Link: http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/build/taric-all-around-support-ap-jungle-ad-amp-tank-137637

Thank you.
[deleted]
<Member>
Fictionized's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 1, 2011 8:37am | Report
I'd like my guide reviewed ASAP because I really want some publiciity and stuff but.. I don't have time to edit the masteries page right now. Which also means I do not have the time to actually work on the Solo-Top flowchart..

But I probably won't have any time -at all- to update it for about a week or so. I'm not sure but.. yeah, your choice if you'd like to review it.

Summoner Name - csualT BreakAway
Post count at time of Request - 210+
Guide is for: Shyvana: Summoner's Rift
Have you played the Champion since the Last patch? Yes - Failed at it too. Was a bit of a friend troll game though. Nothing really new happened to her too. Her jungle is still quite the same.
Why I want the guide to be reviewed: Because I am 100% sure that my guide is better than any current Shyvana guide in the top 10. And I'm not getting any votes out of the views. The current top guide isn't bad.. but I'm pretty sure that mine is better both in the actual guide part and the formatting.
Guide Link: http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/build/shyvana-jungling-and-solo-drakes-145666

EDIT: I will PM you my old masteries section BBcode format. This will show you what it was and will be. I changed the masteries so they are out of date but the idea of what and how I'm gonna write the section is still the same.
1 2 3 4 5 6

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide