Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Patch 5.22 Summary

Creator: Wayne3100 November 11, 2015 5:24pm
1 2
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 11, 2015 5:24pm | Report

Hello and welcome to the MOBAFire Patch Summary - 5.22!

With the 2015 Ranked Season coming to an end, it's time for a new Preseason, a period of time commonly used by Riot to reflect on the game's health and introduce significant changes which should steer the game in the direction they desire before tweaking them in the following months. For season 6, the first set of changes went live last night in the form of patch 5.22.

Make no mistake about it: this patch is huge. So big, in fact, that we fear our summary might need a summary once we're done talking about all the changes made. For the first time in a long time, this also means we've added a table of contents to this post (right below this introduction) for easier navigation.

Our aim in this post is to highlight the biggest changes in each category and explain the rationale behind the decision (from Riot's point of view). Should that still leave you begging for more, you can head over to the full patch notes for the full details. Let's go!

Table of Contents

Champion Updates

It should be no surprise that the first section of today's summary will focus on changes made to champions in this patch. Because some of the kit changes are more significant than others, this section has been split into two parts, focusing on some specific marksmen in the game before moving on to everyone else.

Marksman Changes

With her ultimate no longer having a cooldown or maximum duration, Quinn's playstyle revolves entirely around assisting your team wherever they need your assistance at any given moment in time. Her new Heightened Senses also amplifies her ability to roam by granting a shorter but stronger movement speed buff. The only downside to the new ultimate is it now has a 2 second cast time and can be interrupted by taking damage.

Graves' passive now turns his auto attacks into a cone shaped shot consisting of 4 bullets, meaning he'll deal more damage to targets which are close to him (as they are hit by several of the bullets he fires). The tankiness from his previous passive has been preserved and moved to his new E, allowing him to get right in the face of his opponents and wreak havoc.

With his auto attacks now dealing half physical and half magical damage while his Gatling Gun now equally reduces armor and magic resist, Corki is now the established hybrid carry and should be hard to itemize against. On top of that, returning to base after 8 minutes or more have passed will allow Corki to pick up a care package which grants him significant movement speed and greatly empowers his next Valkyrie, causing it to drop bombs along the path and slow enemies caught in the trail by 90%.

Kog'Maw takes the word "hypercarry" to a new meaning in this patch, with his attack speed buff from Bio-Arcane Barrage now doubling his attack speed cap and practically turning him into a turret for the duration. Forcing him to retreat while he's looking to cover your team in acid should be the way to go strategy to combat the Mouth of the Abyss; leaving him unattended could prove costly.

Miss Fortune re-establishes her position as the queen of AoE damage in this patch, with her ultimate now firing additional waves of bullets which are also able to crit opponents. She has also received a new passive which allows her to deal bonus physical damage every time she attacks a new target (while her old passive - much like with Graves - has been moved to one of her other abilities), but her playstyle will continue to revolve (even more) around setting up those juicy wombo combos.

Caitlyn has always had the status of sharpshooter in League, and.. Well, that's not changing. However, she now has an ammo-based trap system which allows her to place up to 5 traps at a time during the late game, further boosting her ability to pressure her opponents by zoning them out of an area. She has also gained the ability to fire a long range Headshot at enemies caught in her traps or slowed by her net, putting further emphasis on her identity as a long range gunner.

Other Champion Changes

WTF DID THEY DO TO MY CHAMPION?!
quick access for concerned players

~
~
~
~
Ashe
Draven
Ezreal
Jinx
~
~
~
~
Kalista
Lucian
Sivir
Tristana
~
~
~
~
Twitch
Varus
Vayne
Urgot
-
Azir
Kindred
Leblanc
Renekton
Riven
Shaco
Sion
Volibear

Wukong
Zed

! = Rework / Gameplay Update* = Mostly bugfix(es) and/or display changes+ = Buff- = Nerf~ = Mixed

In what is perhaps the most interesting "WTF DID THEY DO TO MY CHAMPION?!" table we've ever produced, it is relatively easy to determine a pattern for the changes made in this patch, and it's again easy to split the champions into two groups labelled "Marksmen" and "Other Champions".

As for the first group, it should be clear that pretty much all marksmen that have not been mentioned specifically in the last section have still seen (less significant) changes, commonly consisting of one buffed ability while another one has been nerfed. Since it is hard to call whether or not these changes will make them better or worse overall (and changes to items will also influence the viability of different champions), we're picking the safe route for now and putting them together in the "Mixed" zone. However, what is clear is that these changes are also aimed at further emphasizing every marksman's unique identity. For example, while Jinx now loses attack speed for using her long range weapon (Fishbones, the Rocket Launcher), her passive can now stack, making her gameplay evolve even more around her ability to Get Excited! at the right moment.

If you play any of the champions in the table above that is not a marksman, the odds are your champion received at least one bugfix or visual change today - unless you're a Kindred player, in which case you won't be feeling as much health regen as before and the damage vs monsters from your passive has become capped. Sucks to be you :/ Anyway, one example of a visual change which may even be considered a buff is that LeBlanc's Mirror Image will now show a fake blue, red or baron buff, making it easier for players using her to become one with the Deceiver.

Summoner's Rift Updates

New Jungle Monster - Rift Herald

As mentioned in the 2016 Season Update, the Rift Herald is a new jungle camp which spawns in the Baron pit during the early game (initial spawn at 4:00, 5 minute respawn timer after being killed).

Though the Rift Herald has a pretty decent amount of health, it is extremely vulnerable whenever its eye is open; basic attacks from behind deal 15% of its maximum health as true damage during this period.

The champion that takes down the Rift Herald gains the so called Doom's Eve buff for 2 minutes, which increases all damage by 10% as well as granting 40 movement speed and the Enhanced Baron Recall. In addition, minions near the slayer gain 40% increased attack speed and 100 extra range (cannon minions only).

Minion and Monster Changes

The addition of the Rift Herald is not the only change to the minions and monster on the Rift, however. Not only will both minions and monsters start spawning sooner than before (as displayed on the right), but there are also plenty of changes to the stats and gold provided by all creatures found on the Rift.

For all jungle camps which already existed before today's patch, these changes mainly involve lowering the health/armor/damage dealt while increasing the gold gained from killing them, meaning jungling should be a little easier grant more gold in the upcoming season. On the flipside, the experience gain of several camps is also going down, though this likely won't affect junglers much since the jungle items compensate for this (more on that later). However, it does mean that starting in the jungle as a solo laner won't be as rewarding as before.

As for minions, the only change applied for now is that the initial gold gain for all minions is going up, while the gold growth ratio per minute is being reduced.

Note that further changes to minions in regards to pushing were cancelled last second, but might be a part of patch 5.23.
1:15

1:40

Turret and Summoner Spell Changes

Higher Health

Lower Armor/Magic Resistance
In addition to minions and monsters, the map objectives also aren't untouched in this patch. All turrets & inhibitors now have more health than before, but also start the game with 0 armor and magic resistance (previously 100). However, they will still scale up to a maximum of 30 armor and magic resistance (gaining 2 armor and magic resist per minute after 0, 15 or 30 minutes have passed depending on location) over the course of the game. Overall, this should make turrets more vulnerable than before, especially if attacked early.

Now you might be wondering, what does that have to do with summoner spells? How are these two topics linked? The answer is simple: Teleport. Though the Rift Herald's introduction might already convince some top laners not to teleport across the map as often as before, the spell has also received some heavy nerfs this patch, as the cooldown for casting it on a turret has gone back up to 300 seconds and the channel time has been increased from 3.5 to 4 seconds.

Now, should you - for whatever reason - be considering to use Clarity or Clairvoyance instead from now on, then I'm afraid I have some bad news for you, as both spells have been removed from Summoner's Rift due to how weak they were considered to be.

Removed

Nerfed

Items

If you've been struggling to keep track of the changes so far, this might be a good time to look away. The biggest number of changes - without a doubt - are in the item section of this patch.

Since there really is too much to cover here, we'll try to keep it short in the table below by focusing on the reasoning behind the changes and highlighting a few new additions or significantly changed items.

Category Context Example Changes
Marksman Items
Before, the problem with marksman itemization was that it was very stale, with many players going for the exact same build every game. The addition of some new items and rework of existing items should help provide marksman players with meaningful choices based on their needs.
new additions and their purpose
(mouse-over for details)

Sieging

Anti-Tank

Anti-Healing
Ability Power Items
This section of the item changes is mainly filled with nerfs, as a full-scale audit on all items (to determine their cost to power ratio) revealed to Riot that AP was a very gold-efficient stat to purchase.
example nerfs

3500 gold ⇒ 3800 gold

3000 gold ⇒ 3500 gold
50 Armor ⇒ 45 Armor
Tank Items
Though no explanation is given by Riot in the patch notes, the changes in this section seem so indicate that armor was slightly too efficient (with several armor items receiving nerfs, albeit minor) while magic resistance items could use a little boost in stats (for a slightly higher price).
example changes

2600 gold ⇒ 2800 gold

2700 gold ⇒ 2800 gold
400 Health ⇒ 500 Health
60 MR ⇒ 70 MR
Jungle Items
For junglers, there are two things to get excited about. The first is the addition of Hunter's Talisman, which grants health and mana sustain for the tanks and mages who so far have lacked just that during their early clears. This item in combination with Hunter's Machete (+ extra gold) will build into the jungle upgrades from now on.

Speaking of upgrades, there's also a new upgrade in the form of Tracker's Knife, which provides a Sightstone-esque warding passive and seems most suited for tanks. Note that both the starting options and their upgrades grant additional experience when killing large monsters to compensate for the earlier mentioned reduction of experience granted by jungle camps.
new additions (mouse-over for details)

Alternative start

New upgrade
Support & Vision Items
With marksmen, junglers, AP (mid) champions and tanks (commonly seen top) out of the way, there's only one role left to discuss: supports. Though a bunch of items commonly bought by supports have received changes in this patch, the most interesting update to look at by far is the introduction of a new set of items which can be created by combining Sightstone with a Tier 2 support item (as shown on the right).

This creates an interesting choice to make for support players, as the benefit of being able to combine the two items and free up an item slot might be worth not having the Tier 3 upgrade of the chosen support item.
possible combinations
(mouse-over for details)

+

+

+

Targon's Brace
=

=

=

Eye of the Oasis

Eye of the Equinox
Starting Items
For starting items, the same applies as with the marksman itemization: there simply weren't enough options. Along with some tweaks to the Doran's items, a few new options were added.
new additions (mouse-over for details)

Alternative to Doran's Ring

Alternative to Doran's Blade
Removed Items
Unsurprisingly, this preseason also has victims in the item department. Long story short, these items were either considered to be unsuccessful in practice or simply limited in terms of design.

May they rest in peace.
The following items have been removed

Masteries

A new season wouldn't truly be a new season without changes to masteries, and they're pretty significant this time around as the entire system has been updated! In this update, the Offense, Defense and Utility trees have been replaced by Ferocity, Cunning and Resolve trees. What is interesting about the new system is that the maximum number of points which can be invested in a single tree has gone down to 18; every odd row can hold up to 5 points (split among two choices), while every even row can hold only one. The three deepest mastery points in each tree are known as Keystone masteries: these are designed to fundamentally impact how you play your champion.

If you want to take a closer look at the new masteries and familiarize yourself with potential setups, you can click on the image below to use the MOBAFire mastery planner!

Upcoming Skin

Although this patch does include one new skin, it's a bit different from others in the sense that it won't be available for purchase. Instead, this year's Victorious skin - Victorious Sivir - will be rewarded to all summoners who managed to reach Gold, Platinum, Diamond, Master or Challenger Tier in ranked in Season 5. If you're one of those players, congratulations on earning a free skin!

Note that Riot have indicated that it can take up to November 17 for this reward to be added to the accounts of all eligible players.

Share Your Thoughts!

It should go without saying that there's plenty to talk about after this patch, so please feel free to discuss the changes here. If you've already played some games on the new patch, what are your first impressions? Which champions have become stronger, and which do you feel aren't as strong as they were before? Are the new items any good or do most of them simply feel underwhelming? What about the new mastery system, are you a fan of it or do you feel the old ones had more of an impact? And finally, what are your goals for Season 6?

Let us know in the comments below!

Thanks to jhoijhoi for the signature!
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 11, 2015 5:29pm | Report
Sorry for double posting, but I just want to add two quick notes:
1) Sorry for the delay on this, was busy with university today and, well... this patch was kinda huge
2) We realise some of the changes highlighted in this summary may not be up to date in MOBAFire's database yet and we will make sure to work on updating all changes as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience :)

Thanks to Hoppermh for the signature!
Vapora Dark
<Perfectionist>
Vapora Dark's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 11, 2015 5:29pm | Report
Wayne... is that you...? My god, I haven't seen you in years. I thought you were dead!
Jovy
<Admin>
Jovy's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 11, 2015 5:31pm | Report
So so far what I've noticed is that games are a lot faster and they are more one-sided. If you're winning you're good to go and if you're losing it's quite hard to make a comeback. I also think objectives are more meaningful than kills now.

I don't know if it's just coincidence or not, but I've played about 7 games and they've all been pretty one sided. Even in my last game, where we had 10+ kills over the enemy team, we couldn't do anything because they were so ahead due to superior map control.

Also that Sivir skin is really ugly and the splash doesn't even look like Sivir at all, though they never really pay much attention to that stuff. But in the new patch there's plenty of cool skins coming so that's nice!

thank you jhoijhoi for the signature <3
TheSilverDust
<Member>
TheSilverDust's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 11, 2015 8:36pm | Report
The first game I played under these changes feels like I am a beginner again in a game called League of Legends. If you have superb objective & map control, you will win the game. Your kills now have less priority than taking objectives because once the enemy team are good in securing objectives, your team will be crushed.

And "yay!" @ the removal of Stealth Wards! Now ALL of my teammates will have the effort to ward efficently, not just me when I go support (which is stressful =.=). And the new support upgrades are good, indeed. Now I will have an additional space to get items! And the AD items, muwahahahahaha :D!! (just becoming an ADR main...)

And I am crying @ the nerfs to AP items and removal of Mana Potions. And it hurts that Ahri didn't have increased mana. .-.
Thanks OwenTheAwesomer for the sig!
RottedApples
<Inhouse Addict>
RottedApples's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 11, 2015 8:50pm | Report
i'm still insulted zyra is lumped under the supports for the mana changes. even if i like the mana regen buff more than the flat mana buff.

Signature is from Ninja_Trigger's champion mastery thread!
New and slightly improved version is still up to date >HERE!<
Ekki
<Veteran>
Ekki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 12, 2015 12:20am | Report
Quoted:
So so far what I've noticed is that games are a lot faster and they are more one-sided. If you're winning you're good to go and if you're losing it's quite hard to make a comeback. I also think objectives are more meaningful than kills now.

I don't know if it's just coincidence or not, but I've played about 7 games and they've all been pretty one sided. Even in my last game, where we had 10+ kills over the enemy team, we couldn't do anything because they were so ahead due to superior map control.
I've felt the exact opposite of what you said :P

I had the less tryhard/most ridiculous three games in a long time. We didn't take a single rift herald, and the other team only took one over the three games. Most of the time it was just trying the new adc's skills and new builds for any ad-based champion ( Nasus with Maw of Malmortius heals just enough to make the other team rage a lot). Also machine-gun kog'maw/shotgun graves everywhere was the only downside as of now (because I wanted to try them T_T).
Joxuu
<Fabulous>
Joxuu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 12, 2015 5:12am | Report
Good job with the post.

"A person giving you advice isn't perfect and has their own shortcomings but they may give you the piece that you're missing."
NicknameMy
<Editor>
NicknameMy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 12, 2015 8:46am | Report
Just playing some Garen and everyone dying left and right. Rushing super cheap Boots of Swiftness, Black Cleaver + Sterak's Gage + Death's Dance grant immmense survival power and damage and then you can still get Dead Man's Plate and Spirit Visage. You even have 40% CDR with that. As for masteries, his spin just got stronger again as it makes enemies burn. Make them even more burn because Ignite is stronger than Teleport again, your kill potential at level 6 is just extreme. Finally, you add in Elixir of Wrath and now Garen heals a ****ton either in the fight or outside the fight.
He is gonna kill you!!!
MungoGeri
<Member>
MungoGeri's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 13, 2015 3:03am | Report
I'm surprised how well tanks are doing in general. I was really scared about their viability with all of the life/health steal in the game. I figured adc's would just laugh and life steal through any damage the tank did, but that doesn't seem to be happening. If anything, it feels like *more* people are playing tanky characters.
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide