This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page
Trundle Build Guide by tradtrad
5.16 Plat Standard Trundle Top/NEW JUNGLE SECTIONBy tradtrad | Updated on August 23, 2015
Your votes and comments encourage our guide authors to continue
creating helpful guides for the League of Legends community.
Choose Champion Build:
Trundle in the Jungle
Threats & Synergies
This guy is really strong against [[trundle]] because of his poke, in early game [[renekton]] will bully you into uselessness and unless the game is on for about 40 minutes you won't catch or stop him. However there are some tips. Try to be smart with your [[pillar of ice]] so that he can't dash straight over it. Also avoid fighting him 1v1 when he has a sunfire cape or you will lose as his ult goes on for longer than yours, you will steal his resistances but chances are you won't kill him in the magic 8 seconds which is why fighting this guy is so hard as trundle is a fight BASH BASH BASH KILL kind of champ which doesn't work against renekton.
I you are both the same skill level Riven should beat you as she has so much mobilty and stuns which you can't handle, once more a good [pillar of ice]] will make the difference here as her jumps aren't very big. Try to out farm her and buy an early Randuin's omen
This guy will kite you and theres not much you can do but farm get a spirit visage and a banshee's veil and just wait for ganks, make sure you get a sweeping lens and upgrade it.
I underestimated this guy,he is really hard before level 13, however after level 13 you should out farm him, you can out trade him in a pure 1v1 after 13, however before that try not to fight him because his ult [[feast]] does a lot of damage, try to time his ult and [[ignite]] or other spells. He has a cooldown of 60 on his ult, but it will scale more like this, 60, 48, 39. Ignite has a 210 second (3mins 30) cooldown unless he has utility points I which it would be 189 (3mins 9)
Try to out farm him and poke him early with frozen domain + chomp, try to land as many autos on him and then go back to farming, he will outscale you but if the rest of your team is doing alright then you should win, ignite is strong against him, also consider starting with a doran's shield.
Although this guy can poke you and probably out farm you, the spirit visage>mercury's treads banshee's veil combo should stop him.
Try to fight her 1v1, her passive dragonborn will just increase the power of your ult, subjugate. Ignite or exhaust is strong against her. doran's shield start is a good idea.
A good counter to Sion because you can outduel him, you can also steal his resistances and most of all put a pillar in front of his ult.
Yorick is a pretty boring lane because you both have a lot of sustain, him through his e and you through the fact that the death of his ghouls procs your passive, therefore since neither of you can kill each other the lane itself is easy, the only annoying thing is that he gets damage resistance through his passive that you cannot steal, he also lacks an escape so is easier to chase than most other champs.
Wukong is simple to beat as he is very squishy early and auto attack reliant, you can steal his passive armor and magic resist as well as his AD which he needs for his whole kit. On top of this you can try to ruin his escape as your pillar is a strong tool vs his decoy. He also lacks sustain but be weary if he takes ignite.
Incredibly difficult to play againt him but the best advice I can give you is to dodge his Q, by doing this he cannot get his passive on you and stun you, his qw combo is potent and he can easily escape your pillar/w combo with his e. In addition to this he is AP so losing AD isn't a big deal as well as this he usually doesn't build much resistances but he may get zhonyas/abyssal which is what I would get if I was playing him.
One of the harder lanes as he is VERY strong all throughout the game in duels, he lacks sustain early but his damage is still high, he also has an attack speed slow on his W and his D.O.T pasive is good vs your sustain, when he gets hydra he will be very strong so try to get your botrk+visage before he gets hydra/black cleaver+sunfires. The first to get their core items in this matchups wins. His ult cuts through your resistances.
Introduction - About Me
- The reason why we take 9 Greater Mark of Attack Damage is because all of this guy's abilities scale of AD or are AD or DPS boosts, it's the best choice on this guy because he naturally does high dmg at level 1 and as you have tank masteries this is good for early game.
- This is OP, it can never be replaced and early game trades, especially against auto attack champs is a piece of pie, those naughty Rengars and Garens. Good against poke lanes such as Jayce and Darius 9 x Greater Seal of Armor for me always.
Another less common option (though more expensive) is the Greater Seal of Scaling Health Regeneration it is quite good for sustain over long periods of times against a Shen or Vladimir. It is increased by 40% if you have Spirit Visage and standing on top of your Frozen Domain.
This is good against AP champs and late game vs fed midlaners. This is usually my choice for Trundle as it finishes his natural tankiness with the masteries. It is also good against poke champs and low cd spam champs such as Zac and Vladimir, in fact come to think of it it is good against the sustain champs so, yeah. So again a solid 9 x Greater Glyph of Magic Resist
- GO RAMBO, this is very good and helps you trade as well as sustain, pretty good however only 2 are needed as there needed (2 x Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage )to leave space for..
- Greater Quintessence of Life Steal x 1. This works in harmony with your passive King's Tribute and Frozen Domain, although a 3rd AD quint is viable i prefer this as it works well with the Bilgewater Cutlass early on. 2% lifesteal isn't alot late game but it's always good with Spirit Visage try using this, if you don't like it use a 3rd Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage.
- Attack Damage isn't needed in the jungle because you steal a lot of the damage off the camps anyway, you need to take attack speed to profit from lifesteal as much as possible, it also helps with the clears and scales better than flat Greater Mark of Attack Damage.
- Take 6 of these to help you clear out the camps early.
- x3 You will spend a lot of the early levels in your jungle and you will need some scaling armor for when you pop out, these become more efficient than the flat seals at level 9 so all's good.
- 6 of these because in early levels there will be some magic damage from champions you gank aswell as the ones you duel, especically with enchantment: magus or Enchantment: Runeglaive such as Diana or Fiddlesticks who's Bountiful Harvest you can interrupt with Pillar of Ice
- 3 of these, same reason as the seals.
- The reason I take this is because it helps with ganks, and when you have no gap closers it makes it that much easier and it also scales with your Frozen Domain.
- Papa needs his sustain, works well with his passive and attack speed marks.
Double-Edged Sword this is best on melee champs and since trundle is so tanky he can afford to get this, it is also a better alternative than a 4th point in Fury as he gets a lot of attack speed with his Frozen Domain. Fury this is also only good at pre-6 levels since it becomes useless after, it can be swapped for Sorcery instead.
Expose Weakness is the best choice in this row, although it doesn't help a lot itself, it does work for ganks and for you q Chomp Brute Force this is a good mastery to scale into late game, but it doesn't give that much raw stats.
Martial Mastery this is very good early game as it will scale with your runes and [dorans blade] for a total of 84 AD at level 1. +4 damage yes please.
I put 2 points into Block to make me stronger in early poke and trades, with your armor this will be good. 2 points in Recovery for your in lane sustain, this will also be increased by Frozen Domain and another 2 points in Enchanted Armor .
Unyielding is pretty good and makes you way tankier aswell as reducing all damage from champions by 2, this means that with block auto attacks do 4 less. if you choose to start with a Doran's Shield they do 12 less, and with your armor that is even less however they do have armor penetration sometimes so this isn't actual fact.
Veteran Scars this is good early game and it will increase by 3% if you take Juggernaut which you should take. This will make your 3000 hp into 3100, and so on, and you can't tell me you've never seen a Teemo running away with less than 100 hp.
Oppression This is good as Trundle has at least 3 slows with his Blade of the Ruined King. This makes his trading a lot stronger which is what he's all about.
The reason why I like Hardiness is because it is a free stat which cannot be obtained any other way and you can never have enough armor with this guy, especially when you want to 1v3.
Swiftness and Tenacious , because this guy is piss easy to kite you need as much CC reduction as you can get, this is why you should get Mercury's Treads as they are the only viable CC reduction item he should get, unless you have a Garenteed victory and you want to experiment with Zephyr.
Perseverance I am going to Rumble i mean ramble on about Frozen Domain because it is the difference maker between a good Trundle player and a bad one. Perseverance can save you when you are being burned by ignite, if you are mega lucky, other than that it is good at keeping in lane at low health, your Frozen Domain will increase this and and your Second Wind which is why this guy is so hard to kill at low health.
+ Good Trades
+ Good Sustain
+ Good Chase
+ Anti-Tank, while being tanky
+ Good in prolonged teamfights
+ Can easily 2v1
Trundle's ability to counter tanks in the current meta is very high which is why I'm surprised why he isn't played more, he has good sustain and can outtrade a lot of auto attack reliant champions due to his attack damage steal. He is a stat thief.[/columns]
- Weak Pre-6
- Weak against burst damage
- Easy to kite
- Cannot carry solo
- Lacks CC which would explain why he isn't picked more often
- Ignite and Morellonomicon really hurt him
If he had more CC I can only imagine how overpowered he would be, however due to his lack of stuns or roots he is not played more, he also cannot carry on his own.
Doran the Historian
AND - Doran has an item for everyone and he certainly has one or 2 for trundle, I start with a Doran's Blade as i like to go for first blood however a Doran's Shield is just as good for passive players who like to farm. The +5 on each hit turns to +6 if you use Frozen Domain and it also increases the health regen from Doran's Shield to 12per5 inside it. Always get a Health Potion and a Warding Totem however a Sweeping Lens is good against Teemo.
Much huehuehue - 1st back
- Bilgewater Cutlass is the core item for the troll king n your first back, the active on it will help you win many a fight. The eztra attack damage is perfect as is the lifesteal for sustain, this will also build into your #1 item, the Hextech Gunblade. OF COURSE NOT THAT But seriously now, the Blade of the Ruined King.
- Boots of Speed are very good on trundle early, hard to evade especially with his Pillar of Ice + Frozen Domain combo. Also a Stealth Ward is good because you don't want to get ganked as your speed boosts and CC have pretty high cooldowns so if you've just wasted them you#re in a heap of trouble.
- If you don't buy this item on Trundle stop reading this guide and go read a cooking manual (wtf) succulence Morgana will help with that. Blade of the Ruined King has a godlike active in simultaneous use with your ultimate Subjugate. Thats about 40% of their health gone in 2 spells and 0.2 of a second considering their resistances, use subjugate first so that you get their magic resist to increase the damage done by Blade of the Ruined King
- Spirit Visage What stats from this doesn't he need? It is like Frozen Domain's twin brother. Get these 2 items and YOU WILL beat anyone 1v1, which other tend to underestimate. CD, yes please, healing increase, yes please, health, yes please,magic resist, yes please, health regen , yes please.
- Randuin's Omen this is the best item for armor as it gives health too and has an active, the best choice against auto attack based champions such as ADC's and Fiora, Master Yi, Tryndamere, Jax and Olaf. Try to get this if you can.
BY THIS TIME THE GAME IS PROBABLY FINISHED OR GG. SO YOU WON'T GET THESE ITEMS MOST LIKELY BUT I'LL PUT THEM HERE ANYWAY.
/ Frozen Mallet is extremely good for kiting and for chasing, will 5 slows you won't be stopped. Remember to use your actives. Iceborn Gauntlet is the alternative to frozen mallet since it works well with your q as you proc the spellblade frequently, it also gives some cc to help chasing.
AND Sunfire Cape and Black Cleaver, these items are the last damage item you will get, if they have tanks get Black Cleaver if you are doing all the damage and have long teamfights Sunfire Cape is the way to go, this is because in sustained teamfights you will be in the middle of everything and sunfires will damage a lot of enemies, it will also kill minions which will proc your passive.
- Guardian Angel is a stupid item to buy unless you have no damage dealers and your adc is far behind. Only try this when you're ahead or in last resorts.
/ - Personally I don't like this item because it requires you to go full tank which is boring and starts pillow fights with other tanks, however you are more than welcome to try it, especially when you have a squishy jungler/support.
- Although I haven't tested it much when I did it worked wonders, it really helps you in the trades and in teamfights where you are taking damage all the time from every direction, build this after boots/ Spirit Visage/ Blade of the Ruined King, the mid game fighting spike it gives you is unreal however it does fall off very late in the game around 50 minutes. It also doesn't give any resistances.
: This is the best option now since it helps you scale into late game and gives you so much attack speed which you need and on hit effects since all your damage is from autos. This procs on your Chomp too so you will use this a lot and it will contribute to your damage heavily.
: Still pretty strong late game however you will see more of Shyvana and Warwick coming back so you should only pick this if your toplaner is a strong tank and scales decently well into late game for example Cho'Gath.
Whenever an enemy unit near Trundle dies, he absorbs its life force and heals for 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6% of its maximum health. When an enemy unit dies next to you, you will heal for that % of the targets health, this is really good for sustain as you don't even need to attack the minions to get the passive, for example a minion has 500 hp, if you heal for 2% f its hp you will get 10 hp from it, with Spirit Visage it is 12, and with Frozen Domain it will be 14.
Chomp COOLDOWN: 4 COST: 30 MANA
ACTIVE: Trundle bites his target with this next basic attack, dealing physical damage equal to a base amount plus a percentage of his attack damage and slowing his target by 75% for 0.1 seconds.
This attack increases Trundle's attack damage for 8 seconds, with his opponent losing half of this amount for the same duration.
PHYSICAL DAMAGE: 20 / 40 / 60 / 80 / 100 (+ 100 / 105 / 110 / 115 / 120% AD)
ATTACK DAMAGE BONUS: 20 / 25 / 30 / 35 / 40
This gives a short slow however I wouldn't complain about it as it has a very good chasing ability, it also gives Trundle some AD, of this amount the enemy loses half. This has a low cooldown and low mana cost, it can also be used to push towers quicker.
Frozen Domain RANGE: 900 COOLDOWN: 15 COST: 60 MANA
ACTIVE: Trundle coats a target 1000-radius area with ice for 8 seconds, gaining increased movement speed, attack speed, and healing and regeneration from all sources while he is on it.
MOVEMENT SPEED: 20 / 25 / 30 / 35 / 40%
ATTACK SPEED: 20 / 35 / 50 / 65 / 80%
HEALING AND REGENERATION INCREASE: 8 / 11 / 14 / 17 / 20%
Frozen Domain gives you increased move speed and attack speed, this is the best item you have for trades as it makes opponents miss judge your trading potential, if you can don't use it at the start and then pop it as it will save you, it can be used as an escape, however it can only last 8 seconds so use this wisely, Frozen Domain should be used before Subjugate and the active from Blade of the Ruined King this will make the heals stronger and make you so too, this is the best combo for Trundle in fights. W-R-Blade. this ability also stacks with Spirit Visage which is why those 2 items are so key for Trundle
Pillar of Ice RANGE: 1000 COOLDOWN: 23 / 20 / 17 / 14 / 11 COST: 60 MANA
Pillar of Ice
ACTIVE: Trundle summons an impassable pillar of ice at a target location for 6 seconds. Enemies caught in the center of the eruption are briefly knocked back. The pillar blocks movement within 62.5 range and slows enemies within 187.5 range.
Pillar of Ice works like Anivia's Crystallize in the way that it blocks off a path, this has a very big range so can be used to save allies or "troll" them. it is also good for escaping or blocking enemies from escaping, this makes it a good utility so max this last, it also has a slow which is always nice. This can also be used to cancel channeling spells such as Requiem and Absolute Zero aslong as the target is alive. cough cough Karthus.
Subjugate RANGE: 700 COOLDOWN: 80 / 70 / 60 COST: 75 MANA
ACTIVE: Trundle drains the life force out of an enemy champion, dealing magic damage equal to a percentage of their maximum health and healing himself for the same amount, as well as stealing 40% of their armor and magic resist. Half of the health, armor, and magic resist is drained immediately and the other half over the next 4 seconds.
The armor and magic resist bonus/reduction slowly decays over 4 seconds after the drain completes.
INITIAL MAGIC DAMAGE / HEALTH DRAIN: 10 / 12 / 14% (+ 1% per 100 AP) of target's maximum health
MAGIC DAMAGE / DRAIN PER SECOND: 2.5 / 3 / 3.5% (+ 0.25% per 100 AP) of target's maximum health
TOTAL MAGIC DAMAGE / HEALTH DRAIN: 20 / 24 / 28% (+ 2% per 100 AP) of target's maximum health
Subjugate is an amazing ability against tanks as it steal %resistances, this means in fights you should ult the enemy tank so he can't do his ob, this is why Trundle is strong against Rammus. It has a %heal which is the same as Blade of the Ruined King and this is why you should buy the item. Use this with ignite and the enemy will suffer. Remember to try to be inside Frozen Domain while activating this and Blade of the Ruined King so that you get the maximum heal possible.
Here is a map of where you can block paths successfully with Pillar of IceCourtesy of Cliques007. Go check out his guide on Pillar of Ice
When pushing towers you want to use Frozen Domain for the attack speed boost and then spam Chomp on the tower as much as you can, this will make you push the tower like a Rengar
Swain - Get Spirit Visage first as he will try to get Morellonomicon to reduce your healing.
Kennen - Don't chase him and you will be fine, a Banshee's Veil is always good against him.
Jax - Wait for this guy to ult before ulting him, you will steal his ult resistance and make him QQ
Fiora+ Tryndamere Take an early Randuin's Omen against them, they deserves it.
Wukong - Pillar of Ice will stop him from juking with [decoy]] you as bad but be wary.
Pantheon - You should win every trade against him after level 6, take Teleport to follow him around.
Zac - Spirit Visage easy lane you should destroy him,if you're feeling really confident take Smite to smite his blob but that doesn't pay out although objective control is always good.
Yasuo - Projectile shield( Wind Wall)? ain't gonna do anything, the rising monolith will stop you but he has alot of mobility to use your w wisely. Barrier is a good idea agianst him, also a Randuin's Omen
- Use Frozen Domain and Chomp to push towers
- Ult the tanks
- Don't face Renekton, Teemo or Riven, ask to swap with your jungler in the champion select lobby.
Thanks for looking at my Trundle top guide for season 4, hope you enjoyed rate and comment.
Yours truly, EpilepticRabbit
Jamespongebob - Specific question answered on coding, thanks for making my guide look 'fresh' and 'complete', I don't know your ingame name, sorry.
Hawkken - BBCoding guide
Cliques007 - Pillar of Ice guide, http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/build/spell-guide-master-the-pillar-master-trundle-408991