This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page
Sona Build Guide by wiru
Your votes and comments encourage our guide authors to continue
creating helpful guides for the League of Legends community.
Choose Champion Build:
Pure Support Sona
AP MID Sona
Threats & Synergies
Skill match up When they press Q you press your W vice versa :D depends on how well you time it and how good is your ADC is
She can block your Q with her shield , she can just remove your set using her ultimate
if he use his shield then RIP your every skill , during early phase try to harass him since he is melee and usually goes for relic.
Some people use yas as a support, and his windwall can ruin your play
once he grab you then goodbye :D anyway try to use W as quickly as possible to add you a shield and heal you before he can ult you
Same as BC
Pretty much the same as BC and Tresh once she CC'ed you its over
her snare is like forever lol , also her shield gives magic blockage
Items to Use
get out of you comfort zone
Hello, I'm Wiru from PH server. I usually play on normal game since I just want to play and have fun. This will be my second guide, Featuring Sona.
Also try to check my first guide :
Sona The Hybrid Guide
Sona is my first AP MID (during season 2 - 4) , and because of how I previously play her, then my build is usually goes for the kill or i dont mainly use support item :D toxic here lmao , kidding aside , Sona is an AP Support that can deal a burst damage and sometimes can solo kill a squishy champion.
- Versatile , Can give damage, heal, movementspeed and CC
- Can deal huge burst
- Can Sustain in Lane
- Has a game changing ult if you throw it on 3 or more champs
- Has huge future ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
- Too Squishy - Low Hp and Armor
- Mana hungry - need to spam a lot of skills
- Passive: Power Chord
After casting 3 spells, Sona's next attack deals bonus magic damage in addition to a bonus effect depending on what song Sona last activated.
- Hymm of valor gives you 「 40% bonus 」 damage.
- Aria of Perseverance reduces its target's damage output by 25% (+ 4% per 100 AP) for 3 seconds.
- Song of Celerity slows its target by 40% (+ 4% per 100 AP) for 2 seconds.
- Hymn of Valor
Cost: 45/50/55/60/65 Mana
Sona plays the Hymn of Valor, sends out bolts of sound, dealing magic damage to two nearby enemies, prioritizing champions and monsters. Sona gains a temporary aura that grants allies tagged by the zone bonus damage on their next attack against enemies.
Active: Deals 40/70/100/130/160 (+50% Ability Power) magic damage to the nearest two enemies (prioritizes champions) and changes her Power Chord bonus to Staccato.
Melody: Sona gains an aura for 3 seconds. Allied champions that enter the aura will gain an additional 20/30/40/50/60 (+20% Ability Power) magic damage on their next attack.
- Aria of Perseverance
Cost: 80/85/90/95/100 Mana
Sona plays the Aria of Perseverance, sending out protective melodies, healing Sona and a nearby wounded ally. Sona gains a temporary aura that grants allies tagged by the zone a temporary shield.
Active: Restores 35/55/75/95/115 (+25% Ability Power) health to Sona and a nearby allied champion (prioritizes most wounded) and changes her Power Chord bonus to Diminuendo.
Melody: Sona gains an aura for 3 seconds. Allied champions that enter the aura will gain a shield that prevents up to 30/55/80/105/130 (+30% Ability Power) damage within the next 1.5 seconds.
- Song of Celerity
Cost: 65 Mana
Sona plays the Song of Celerity, granting nearby allies bonus Movement Speed. Sona gains a temporary aura that grants allied champions tagged by the zone bonus Movement Speed on their next attack.
Active: Grants Sona % movement speed for 7 seconds (or until damaged) and changes her Power Chord bonus to Tempo.
Melody: Sona gains an aura for 3 seconds. Allied champions that enter the aura will gain % movement speed for 3 seconds.Sona's personal movement speed increase will always last at least 3 seconds.
Cost: 100 Mana
Sona plays her ultimate chord, stunning enemy champions and forcing them to dance and dealing magic damage to them. Each rank reduces the base cooldown of Sona's basic abilities.
Active: Strikes an irresistible chord, stunning enemy Champions and forcing them to dance for 1.5 seconds and take 150/250/350 (+50% Ability Power) magic damage.
Passive: Reduces the base cooldown of Sona's basic abilities by 10/25/40%.
Using the correct Power Chord can help you win the trade
- 5x Greater Seal of Scaling Health - gives you 120hp at max lvl, can help increase the sustain of sona
- 4x Greater Seal of Scaling Armor - pretty much self explanatory.
- 4x Greater Glyph of Magic Resist - pretty much self explanatory.
- 5x Greater Glyph of Scaling Ability Power - Gives you enough AP for increase effectiveness of her skills
- 9x Greater Mark of Precision - great for sona since her skills + AA are usually use for harassment
- 3x Greater Quintessence of Ability Power - gives you a total of 15 AP at the start which can help your Skills.
Which Mastery to use
- Thunderlord's Decree - This is my most pick even in support sona since i play and build her differently. Hitting an enemy champion with an ability (ability damage) or basic attack (on-hit) marks them with Thunderlord's Decree for 3 seconds. At 3 stacks, the target is dealt 10 - 180 (based on level) + (30% bonus AD) + (10% AP) magic damage in an area around them. Thunderlord's Decree can only be triggered once every 25 - 15 (based on level) seconds. this can give sona a huge burst that can easily kill or make an enemy's HP less than half
- Windspeaker's Blessing - Your heals and shields are 10% stronger. Additionally, heals and shields on allies increase your target's armor by 5 - 22 (based on level) and magic resistance by 2.5 - 11 (based on level) for 3 seconds. great if you are going for a pure support sona
- Dealing ability damage to enemy champions applies a bleed, dealing 1 (+ 3.125% AP) (+ 7.5% bonus AD) magic damage every half-second for a duration based on their type.
Single Target: 4 seconds for a total of 8 (+ 25% AP) (+ 60% bonus AD) magic damage.
Area of effect: 2 seconds for a total of 4 (+ 12.5% AP) (+ 30% bonus AD) magic damage.
Damage over time: 1 second for a total of 2 (+ 6.25% AP)
Deathfire Touch will apply more damage on a single single-target spell (i.e. over 4 seconds) than Thunderlord's Decree if a champion has more than 1146 AP or 573 bonus AD.
Which Summoner spell to use
- Flash - is one of the best summoner spell for sona since she can initiate a flash + R combo that can win the game , it can also be use for situational.
- Exhaust - You can help your team by using this spell to the damage dealer of the enemy's team which can help your team to survive the clash. it can also be use for chase and escape purposes.
- Ghost - for positioning sona during clash , you can either use it to distance yourself or for chasing
- Ignite - gives grievous wounds, + deal true damage
- Heal - if your ADC didnt pick his heal , can also use to speed you guys up
- Spellthief's Edge - Gold over time + increase your Ap and mana regen + your Q can easily get that passive gold
- Control Ward - adds vision that can be eternally there until it gets destroyed.
Upgrade your Spell thief to Eye of the Watchers since we aren't going to go full support and build Ruby Sightstone and Frost Queen's Claim , its a waste of two slot.
Mid to late game item
- try to rush your Iceborn Guantlet since this will be your main core item in this build , buy sheen first if you are winning the lane or glacier if you are losing
- try to build Forbidden Idol for the last 10% CDR needed for the build and it can be use for building redemption
- once you build redemption you can either go choose to get Locket of the Iron Solari , Mejai's Soulstealer , Abyssal Mask or Luden's Tempest depending on the game, this item are usually my nxt target after building the iceborn and redemption
- Locket of the Iron Solari - gives your team an active shield
- [[redemption] - enhances your heals and shield not to mention the +10% CDR, try to use the active during clash, once you go and use your ult try to land it on the middle of the enemy
- Mejai's Soulstealer - this gives you a huge AP boost and if you are a good support that can position yourself well , you can almost get this item at max stack easily.
- Luden's Tempest - alternatively if you wont use mejai , you can use this item to increase your burst attack.
- build Mikael's Blessing if there are so many CC's
- Abyssal Mask - can be use to increase your Magic output and also increase your MR.
I usually go for Eye of the Watchers first then Boots
if we are winning the lane i usually go for Sheen or if we are always clashing I go for Forbidden Idol
then i will proceed to build the Frostfire Gauntlet then following up with Redemption
Building items for AP sona
Items on the list of AP sona are pretty much self explanatory maybe i will edit this again some other time :D i'm too lazy lmao
Lich Bane vs Frostfire Gauntlet
As for this guide , I choose to use the Frostfire Gauntlet as my main core item unlike any other sona build who uses Lich Bane , this is basely on my own experience.
first of all Frostfire Gauntlet gives you the following
+20% cooldown reduction
UNIQUE – SPELLBLADE: After using an ability, your next basic attack (on-hit) creates an ICY ZONE under the target, dealing (100% base AD) bonus physical damage to all enemies in the zone (1.5 second cooldown).
UNIQUE – ICY ZONE: The zone lasts for 2 seconds, and Slow icon slows enemies within by 30%. The zone has a radius of 180 (+ 55% bonus armor) units.
- +65 armor - Sona is a squishy hero and as a support they are often being targeted by adc and other champions, this will help her to increase her survival.
- +500 mana - with this guide sona wont be using much of mana regen runes and items so an increase of 500 mana in her pool will give her enough mana to spam during clash and after clash -> meaning if you win the clash you can either push while healing your teammates or do baron or dragon
- 20% CDR - this is one of the reason why i choose to rush this item after getting Eye of the Watchers and Forbidden Idol , with this you will now have a 40% cdr which can help you in lane to spam the skills. since Locket of the Iron Solari does not gave you the 10% cdr anymore and while using Lich Bane you will only have 30% cdr.
- UNIQUE – SPELLBLADE: After using an ability, your next basic attack (on-hit) creates an ICY ZONE under the target, dealing (100% base AD) bonus physical damage to all enemies in the zone (1.5 second cooldown). With sona's skill cooldown we can abuse this passive to increase your damage output , but this is for your 100% AD that is why the runes I choose are all Greater Mark of Precision.
- UNIQUE – ICY ZONE: The zone lasts for 2 seconds, and Slow icon slows enemies within by 30%. The zone has a radius of 180 (+ 55% bonus armor) units.
- the additional damage of the Frostfire Gauntlet is just a bonus we are mainly interested with the slow radius, this can help you chase or escape ganks , the slow is up to 2 seconds with a cooldown of 1.5seconds, meaning you can spam your skill every 2 secs depending on the situation and can give you an infinite slow during the chase or escape.
- 500 Gold cheaper to lichbane and you can get the 40% cdr early on
- gives her AutoAttack everytime she use a skill to have the Crowd Control SLOW
- if you are using her as a support then you need to survive to support your team XD
- does not give you AP which can help her skill efficiently
- most people will think you are a troll
on the other hand Lich Bane gaves you the following
+7% movement speed
+80 ability power
+10% cooldown reduction
UNIQUE – SPELLBLADE: After using an ability, your next basic attack (on-hit) deals 75% base AD (+ 50% AP) bonus magic damage (1.5 second cooldown).
- +7% movement speed - gives her a increase in movement speed to help you escape or chase.
- +250 mana - gives her a decent boost on her manapool which can help if you dont have enough mana regen kit.
- +80 ability power - sona use Ap ratio in all of her skills, this will help her increase the output of her skills.
- +10% cooldown reduction - self explanatory. but with this you will only have 30% Cdr and need to buy the remaining 10%
- UNIQUE – SPELLBLADE: After using an ability, your next basic attack (on-hit) deals 75% base AD (+ 50% AP) bonus magic damage (1.5 second cooldown). - this can help sona to increase her power spike which can help her lessen the enemy's HP to less than half. but this is only effective if you have a High AP which is pretty good if you are going for the mid sona build.
- only gives you 10% cdr
- 500 gold expensive than Frostfire Gauntlet
- the 7% movement speed is for your own self efficiency, not to mention sona has a base movementspeed of 325 , which is on the bottom tier so meaning almost all of the champions especially the nuker or the bruiser can match your movement speed.
- sona's skill have a low scaling in AP so i think defense is the best offence.
- sona is a squishy champ so when you get attack in the back especially some AD divers you are good as dead and you cant support your team anymore.
I Choose Frostfire Gauntlet since this will give her
- additional armor to help her survive , remember she is a squishy hero
- gets you over 40% cdr at early game which can help the team efficiently
- gives your auto attack a CC , which can be almost active every time you use a spell
- gives you big mana pool since support need to last long and you wont have enough mana regen items
- very usable since almost every game 3-4 enemy champions are using AD.
try to choose Lich Bane if all your enemy are squishy and you are winning the lane, also if you are going full AP mode.
I will just simply write it in list form
early phase (lane)
- Try to Harrass your Enemy by using Q and this can also give you the Gold passive of Spellthief's Edge
- Try to Use your Power Chord effectively , when harassing make sure your Q is the one you last use, while during fight you need to decide if you should use your W if you think you cant win the trade or Q to burst the enemy or E to slow down the enemy if the are retreating.
- once you are level 6 try to lower the enemy HP at least 3/4 then you can use your ULT + Q Power Chord to give a burst damage and your ADC can finish the job
- try to ward the DR side , your bot side and other places that you have blind side
buy some control ward and place it to your bot side or mid river
- change your trinket to oracle once you got the Sightstone
- try to position at the back or if you have flash and you think your team can kill them with the allotted time then go flash in and ULT
- Good judgmental when to use your ult
- you can either roam or stick to your ADC
- try to position yourself and dont get pick off when you are warding alone especially when warding BR
- try to get 3 champs and above on your ult this can be a game changer ult
- if you got dive in by some bruiser or tank try to get some distance and stay close to your adc
- dont panic during clash and use your power chord efficiently during clash always try to use W at this phase and aim it to either their AP or ADC or use your Q powerchord on ther ADC or Support
End of guide
Thanks for reading my guide, sorry if this is just a simple guide just like my first guide.
this guide was build using my experience and opinion when playing with her. so if i ever made a mistake, i am not a perfect person, so please guide and correct me.
once again thank you for reading this guide hope you enjoy and learn something new about it