Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

WuKong Theorycraft Thread

Creator: JunSupport July 19, 2011 11:04pm
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12
JunSupport
<Veteran>
JunSupport's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 19, 2011 11:04pm | Report
Okay, so now we have a grasp on what exactly WuKong is like. See the link below if you do not.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJCWmGTaVnU

Passive: Stone Skin - Bonus Armor/MR scaling with enemy units.
Q: Crushing Blow - On-hit bonus damage and armor debuff. (probably AD scaling)
W: Decoy - Dash + AoE-time-bomb Clone + Stealth
(Clone is uncontrollable)
E: Nimbus Strike - Dash to an enemy champion. Clones split off to attack up to 2 nearby units.
(deals physical damage)
R: Cyclone - Spin and deal damage, Knock-Up struck enemy units, and accelerate throughout the duration.
(Presumably, the Cyclone damage will scale with AD, and be very powerful, because you can't auto-attack during the duration)

Based on the video, he also appears to run off of mana. Pretty standard.

The Brutalizer looks like an obvious staple item, as he is melee. Youmuu's Ghostblade will be great anywhere in the build.

Berserker's Greaves are a no brainer. Maybe a Vampiric Scepter for lane-sustain.

I'm thinking you then rush an early Black Cleaver to combo with his Q debuff.

Perhaps a Frozen Mallet to synergise with your naturally higher armor and magic resist from his passive. Though, I may be jumping the gun to get more survivability.
Infinity Edge or Bloodthirster would be my next choice, followed by some attack speed like Phantom Dancer or Wit's End or Madred's Bloodrazor. And the ever viable Banshee's Veil for default survivability.

That's all I got so far.

Stone Skin also suggests he'll be a solid jungler, despite having no sustain. Decoy would also make him a pretty fun ganker, especially once he hits 6 and can use Cyclone to CC.

edit:

Spotlight is out. It seems his cooldowns are VERY low. So Sheen and Trinity Force are very good on him.

And it seems he's a total tanky dps... ._. How disappointing for his fun-factors.

JunSupport wrote:

Just tried him in-game. (Got restless and splurged my IP </3)

WuKong is VERY underwhelming late-game.

His early/mid game is very fun. edit: He just needs better scaling. :)

Most successful build so far.

Start: x3
Early game:
Mid game:
Late game: / +

Got the Madred's to scale with enemy health, because his damage just felt bad at that point.
~ Gentlemen Cho'Gath ~
┌──┐
┴──┴
< ಠ,....,ರೃ>
~ Keeping this sig classy ~

Guides of Mine - Click the... Eh... Come back later

~Undergoing barbaric-Destruction, tasteful-Renovation, and blasphemous-Reconstruction soonâ„¢~
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
Flubadoo
<Member>
Flubadoo's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 19, 2011 11:17pm | Report
Yeah, basically a better replacement of Garen.
Who needs Courage when you can just stealth away?

Garen = Spin2Lose nowadays.

Anyways, I'll probably build him Black Cleaver tank or Trinity Force tank, depending on his' Q's CD.
JunSupport
<Veteran>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 19, 2011 11:25pm | Report
lol, TriForce tank. Yeah right.

I'm hesitant to suggest Trinity Force Will have to wait for actual release to see what his cooldowns are like.

But, I'm happy to conclude that WuKong will make a terrible tank, and sub-par tanky dps.
You need a stun/cc on Q/W/E to tank; otherwise you can't peel enemies off of allies. That's why Galio isn't considered viable, no cc if he blows his ult; and Mordekaiser isn't a tank despite often being used as one, no cc at all.

Tanky DPS need sustain-type abilities or heavy defensive skills to be considered tanky-dps. Jarvan - shield + flag buff, Renekton - AoE-damage self-Heal, WW - Q heal, Garen - Passive + Courage, and many more.
WuKong has 3 offensive skills, no sustain, and only a basic defense boost from his passive.
~ Gentlemen Cho'Gath ~
┌──┐
┴──┴
< ಠ,....,ರೃ>

~Undergoing barbaric-Destruction, tasteful-Renovation, and blasphemous-Reconstruction soonâ„¢~
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 19, 2011 11:26pm | Report
So, he's a hard carry? That doesn't seem like it's going to be that good based on how melee carries have been in the past.

Thank you to jhoijhoi for the sig, and all the dividers in the guide.

JunSupport
<Veteran>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 19, 2011 11:32pm | Report
@Lugignaf:

He can probably be built tanky, I can see building Frozen Mallet, Sunfire Aegis, and Atma's Impaler on WuKong.
But, his kit suggests he'll be most viable as a true Melee-carry.

So far, I see it like this:

Nimbus Strike to initiate on target, use Decoy to cause some confusion, Crushing Blow to debuff then commence auto-attacking to kill the enemy.
Insert R anywhere to deal massive damage and cc to coordinate with allies.

Also, Gangplank is a super-strong melee-carry now. Totally viable, though may be needing a few tweaks.
Master Yi has mana-cost issues, and Tryndamere is about to get his rework. :)

Paul said "Melee-DPS whose super fun to play," and I believe Riot has fully accepted the existence of Tanky-DPS as category, so they wouldn't just be dropping names without proper consideration.
~ Gentlemen Cho'Gath ~
┌──┐
┴──┴
< ಠ,....,ರೃ>

caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 20, 2011 12:06am | Report
why mana? i know we just had one a while ago but he's one of those champs that looks like they should run off of energy.
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
Temzilla
<Member>
Temzilla's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 20, 2011 12:09am | Report
caucheka wrote:

why mana? i know we just had one a while ago but he's one of those champs that looks like they should run off of energy.

Why?

Seems like a mana champion to me.

His lane presence would probably be OP if he could Nimbus/Q/Stealth away at 0 cost.
Tri lane for life.
JunSupport
<Veteran>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 20, 2011 12:28am | Report
@caucheka:

Energy is suppose to be meant for assassin type champions. (Naturally that suits ninjas perfectly)

It's a resource designed for spammy characters who need to have their casting restricted. Otherwise, they'd be too powerful. Take a careful look at Lee Sin's kit, and you'll understand why he doesn't run off of mana.
~ Gentlemen Cho'Gath ~
┌──┐
┴──┴
< ಠ,....,ರೃ>

Bryun
<Magic Man>
Bryun's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 20, 2011 12:28am | Report
Temzilla wrote:

Why?

Seems like a mana champion to me.

His lane presence would probably be OP if he could Nimbus/Q/Stealth away at 0 cost.

Would it be possible he can be considered an anti-carry? (Dash skill, Mini stealth) BURST PLS?
He seems like more of a champion with 'energy' cause he's a monkey ^^

Temzilla
<Member>
Temzilla's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 20, 2011 12:33am | Report
Bryun wrote:

Would it be possible he can be considered an anti-carry? (Dash skill, Mini stealth) BURST PLS?
He seems like more of a champion with 'energy' cause he's a monkey ^^

If his abilities Scale with AD, it's very possible.

His skill set feels a bit like Vayne's honestly.

Dash in with Nimbus, AA, Hit Q for likely auto attack timer reset, hit them, if they are low, stay in and ult for the kill, and then hit some more people with ult, and W away whenever **** gets bad.

He seems like a medium skill cap champion, but he looks really fun.
Tri lane for life.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide