This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page
Your votes and comments encourage our guide authors to continue
creating helpful guides for the League of Legends community.
Choose Champion Build:
What I personally like about this guide is that my build always gives you different choices of how to build your items. You can choose either Rylai's Crystal Scepter or Rod of Ages. Liandry's Anguish or Morellonomicon. Your choice of how you want your game to go. Plenty of freedom and either pick is a good one.
Why did I make a Karma guide? I found all the Karma guides at the time outdated and poorly written, so I decided to make my own.
- Matchups is up next!~
+ Can farm from far away with Inner Flame
+ Mantra'd abilities allow easy pushing.
+ Has a spamable Q.
+ Can be played as a support too.
+ Has a large shield ( Inspire)
+ Can be a bully in lane if you choose to be.
+ Brings great utility to the team.
- Really squishy.
- Lacks Hard CC.
- Farm dependent.
- Doesn't heal others anymore...
- Needs practice to learn all abilities.
|SPACE||5% Cooldown Reduction when maxed out.||SPACE|
|SPACE||A small boost to last hit minions for.||SPACE|
|SPACE||16AP at level 18. This gives you a nice boost at the start of the game combined with runes.||SPACE|
|SPACE||Grants 2 Health and 1 Mana when killing a unit. Combine this with [Doran's Ring]] for 5 Mana a kill.||SPACE|
|SPACE||8 AP right off the bat. Of course every AP carry needs AP.||SPACE|
|SPACE||A good boost to help you kill your opponent in lane.||SPACE|
|SPACE||Increases your ability power by 5% when maxed out.||SPACE|
|SPACE||Heals you when you kill a champion.||SPACE|
|SPACE||6% Armor and Magic Penetration.||SPACE|
|SPACE||This really helps with your farming as you continue to build AP.||SPACE|
|SPACE||Faster to get back to base, the faster you can get back to lane.||SPACE|
|SPACE||3 Mana Regen. This will help you sustain. Awesome combined with Chalice of Harmony and your mana regen runes.||SPACE|
|SPACE||This is a nice mastery. Any summoner spell's cooldown will be reduced by 10% if maxed.||SPACE|
|SPACE||With this, Blue buff last longer. Blue buff is awesome on Karma as it give her cooldown reduction, and lot of mana regeneration.||SPACE|
- Greater Mark of Magic Penetration:
With these runes you got some nice magic penetration which helps a lot throughout the whole game. In my opinion, these are the only viable Marks for mages.
- Greater Glyph of Scaling Ability Power:
Since Karma isn't a AD champion (obviously). We can use these to build up her magic damage. With these, you will have a nice amount of AP at the start of the match.
- Greater Seal of Mana Regeneration:
I take 9x Greater Seal of Mana Regeneration because Karma can be very mana hungry. I do not recommend taking Greater Seal of Scaling Mana Regeneration, because from the moment you have your Athene's Unholy Grail, mana won't be such a problem anymore. I really recommend taking flat instead of scaling.
- Greater Quintessence of Ability Power:
You may wonder why I go for flat AP and not for AP/lvl well that's because AP/lvl Quintessences are pretty bad they won't be better than the flat ones until lvl 12.
Greater Quintessence of Ability Power great for some more early damage.
For really any AP Carry, the only marks you should use are Greater Mark of Magic Penetration.
- Greater Seal of Scaling Mana Regeneration DOES give out a little bit more mana regen but it takes you being level 18 to get it all. I take 9x Greater Seal of Mana Regeneration because Karma can be very mana hungry. Once again, I do not recommend taking Greater Seal of Scaling Mana Regeneration, because from the moment you have your Athene's Unholy Grail mana won't be such a problem anymore. I really recommend taking these. If you worry about mana alot, go for the Rod of Ages build.
- Greater Seal of Armor is an option if you wish to play the support role. She IS pretty squishy after all.
- Greater Quintessence of Movement Speed is always a bonus to have that extra movement. Being a fast champion is ALWAYS fun. :P
Note: Clarity is completely useless late game because Rod of Ages gives you plenty of mana and Athene's Unholy Grail gives you plenty of mana restoration. If you're afraid of being mana hungry then go for the Rod of Ages route. Just don't get Clarity.
- ... Hit your enemy champions with your abilities or autoattacks to lower Mantra's cooldown.
- Since this slows the enemy after getting hit by it, try using this in a chase to help your teammates catch the enemy.
-Using the Mantra version of this is very useful in teamfights.
- Aiming at little clumps of minions can damage them all. Remember Inner Flame won't damage the minions in the back. It explodes at the first enemy it touches.
-This is really your only real harassing tool. Use it wisely.
-Afraid to facecheck a brush? Use this! You can hear the detonation sound if it hits an enemy.
- This isn't exactly a reliable damaging or healing spell, but it is good for melee range champions. Coming too close allows you to link them, then root them afterwards.
- Focused Resolve is a excellent ability with Rylai's Crystal Scepter. Once they're linked, they are also slowed -making it difficult for them to escape the root at the end.
- Don't get me wrong, I TRIED using this offensively to kill an enemy by myself but it just isn't enough. Use this if someone like Akali jumps on a enemy with their ultimate. The root helps your team even further.
-A good combo to heal: Use Inspire then Renewal so you are shielded from any incoming damage while you're trying to maintain the link.
-If you catch an enemy out of position, use this to root them and have your team jump of him/her for the kill.
-If someone like Fizz, Akali, or Diana jumps on you by your turret, the best way to go is to use Inspire, Focused Resolve, and a Inner Flame.
- Always use the Mantra'd version ( Defiance) in a teamfight. Enemies around your target get damaged. Allies close to your target also get shielded and hasted. Please be cautious on your placement. You must be around other allies you shielded for your to get a shield too..
-Perhaps you choose Inspire first for whatever reason. This can be useful to your jungler if you have one. Place Inspire on your jungler to help shield a little damage while they're fighting Blue or Red buff.
-If you are in the middle of being ganked, supply yourself with a shield, and try to root the most jungler with Focused Resolve.
( Leveling this up increases the effects of the Mantra bonus )
- Know your abilities so you can correspond them along to the situation.
- Your passive, Gathering Fire, can reduce the cooldown of Mantra as long as you auto attack or hit enemy champions with your spells.
- Gathering Fire isn't the only way to lower the cooldown of Mantra. Items like Athene's Unholy Grail also contribute to lowering the cooldown.
_____It's important that you play passive with Karma at the start of the game. Don't use any abilities too frequently and just try to focus on ONLY last hitting minions in your lane for the gold income. If the minions are too high of health at the moment for you to last hit, I fire an Inner Flame to harass my enemy a bit. You don't want to use your Inner Flame unless you know for sure it will hit. Why? Because It's best to just sit back and last hit until you are level 5. At level 5 is when you want to start to harass the enemy champ with E and Q. Always make sure if you land one of these abilities, you run in and try to auto-attack to take advantage of the extra damage on your passive. Once you get your Chalice of Harmony, it is now okay to use abilities frequently. Poke and Harass the enemy as much as you can to the point where they are low. But keep last hitting. Remember. Do NOT use your Mantra charge while laning unless you know it will kill, deal a hefty amount or save your life. You need a Mantra charge just incase of a gank or if your opponent decides to use their combo on you. It's actually pretty funny to see a jungler like Kha'Zix fail his gank because I used Inspire, Focused Resolve, and a Inner Flame.
_____Make sure to keep your distance and keep auto-attacking the minions. Your Inner Flame (which you should already have at level 1) has plenty of range. If the enemy is in that range, make sure to launch it to deal some damage. That might make them keep THEIR range instead -leaving you to farm. If there isn't an enemy in the area, do NOT use your abilities too often. You want to make sure that you save your mana. As soon as you have enough gold to port back, buy a Chalice of Harmony and/or Boots.
_____As usual, roaming is done best when your lane is pushed (preferably to their tower). Karma has high potential with ganking top and bottom lane, especially after level six - well aimed Inner Flame can help your teammate catch a enemy.
What I like to do as I approach top lane, is I use Inspire for the speed boost. When I catch up, I link the enemy with Focused Resolve -wait for the root, and Inner Flame. If your opponent is okay to fight, someone like Jax would jump on the enemy, giving you guys the kill.
Right now in your lane you might want to keep farming until you get to buy a Rabadon's Deathcap. If possible (If you have a really bad support), keep wards by their objectives such as Crest of the Ancient Golem and Blessing of the Lizard Elder as well as Dragon. If any of the other lanes need help (Push to their tower) don't hesitate to go up and help out. You are a teamwork champion.
If your enemy is still in lane, LOL spam Inner Flames and if they try to retaliate, Inspire yourself. Eventually you'll poke them down to where they have to recall LOL.
_____If you have blue buff, it is important to continuously poke with your Q. As Inner Flame does significantly more damage with the Mantra, you can halve the health of others or even kill squishy champions before the fight has even began. Your job is to wear down the other team with your utility kit and support at the same time with your shield.
_____As mentioned before, keeping wards by blue buff, red buff, Dragon and now Baron are all extremely important.
_____ I would recommend destroying the first mid tower before you go off in other lanes unless its a emergency. But when your whole team is clumped together fighting, use Defiance for a excellent advantage. If the enemy is low and you are not, the best thing to do is to try and destroy them with Inner Flames and link them with Focused Resolve.
Get a staple item:spaaace
Must Buy Items:spaaace
One Utility & Damage Item:spaaace
One Defensive Damage Item:spaaace
One Final Item:spaaace
When you have your Chalice of Harmony, it is now safer to start using you abilities more often. Use Inspire to protect yourself and Focused Resolve to deal a little extra damage.
First of all. Be tactical. If you haven't warded the two mid bushes then you should resort to the picture below.
Green means that its okay to farm without worries.
Red is "GTF BACK!" if an enemy is mia.
But first. Here are some tips if you don't wanna get ganked by the enemy jungler....
- Map Awareness! <--- If you're paranoid like me when you see a enemy not in their lane via the map. Run back to green zone of your lane if you think you cant handle a potential ganker.
- Use wards! <--- Basically, if the mid bushes are warded. Screw the safety zone chart and just look at the map. If a enemy is heading toward mid you can easily run back to the green zone on your own.
- Have members call mias! <--Get the heads up and be aware.
- Use tab! <--Pressing the tab key shows the scores of ALL players. It even shows how long a enemy is dead! You can manipulate this to be in the red zone without worry. So as long as your aware of whos in their lane, you can destroy that turret!
- Use Smart Ping <-- Thank god they added this in. Your allies can alert you more specifically.
To NEVER get ganked. Use all four methods. You may scroll down to the "Warding" Section if you have no clue on where to ward.
Early game, try staying in the brush while your carry farms and remember to Inner Flame occasionally to harass your enemy carry. If you see the enemy jungler, Inspire your carry before you. The carry is the damage dealer.
When engaging, use Defiance or Inspire your carry. Use Focused Resolve if you can to root an enemy. Soulflare if your enemy is rooted/stunned or if they are getting away.
Make sure to ward the bush closest to dragon or use a trinket.
In a teamfights you should never stand and keep auto attack unless its 5 Vs. 1. You HAVE to move in order to be in the right position to either Inner Flame a fleeing enemy or Inspire a teammate.
You see an allied champion attacking one last enemy with equal health? What do you do?:
A. Run away and let your teammate fight for him/herself.
B. Inspire your teammate, Focused Resolve, and Soulflare (If possible, Mana and cooldown wise)
C. Only Inspire your teammate while running away.
Now, with a little common sense. If you chose the answer "B", then you're on the right track.
Of course if you see your teammates being weed-whacked down one by one, your job is to hover outside of the fight, Soulflare/ Inner Flame and run.
Now to be on the offensive side. Your job is to automatically position yourself and use Soulflare. That AoE damage is strong and slows ALL enemies in the area. See a fleeing enemy that avoided your Soulflare? Try your Focused Resolve and root them.
- March 28, 2013 - Guide Launched!
- March 30, 2013 - Removed Support Section due to popular demand.
- March 31, 2013 - Added beautiful headers thanks to Xiaowiriamu!
- March 31, 2013 - Added in the "Items" & "Situational Items" section.
- March 31, 2013 - Made it as the #1 Karma guide on Mobafire!
- April 10, 2013 - Support Build is in!
- January 27, 2014 - Matchups Section is in progress