This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page
Galio - Long Forgotten Gargoyle
Your votes and comments encourage our guide authors to continue
creating helpful guides for the League of Legends community.
Choose Champion Build:
Banner made my MissMaw
One of the most underrated League champions and one of the rarely seen ones.But if people doesn't play him it doesn't mean that he's bad or useless , on the countrary he is great Tank/AP-carry/Anti-mage a t the same time and with same build.His ultimte is one of the few game changers like Curse of the Sad Mummy and Absolute Zero. His farming ability is just INSANE !!!, and lane sustain is really great. Also he can be a good support and solo laner. He got his few bad assets but you will change them with blue buff or Clarity.
And probably 1 isn't enought so take listen this as well
Great songs by great artists <3
Long before the League's regulation of such magic, mages experimented with the creation of artificial life. Now forbidden, instilling golems with reason was once not so uncommon a practice amongst the more expert of craftsmen. One such visionary was the Demacian artificer, Durand. Peerless at crafting sentient beings, Durand's constructs served as tireless guardians for the border towns of his beloved city-state, affording them protection from their Noxian neighbors. For his own defense, however, Durand kept his magnum opus: Galio. This mighty construct forged in the image of a gargoyle kept him safe on his journeys, allowing him to perform his important work without fear of reprisal from those hostile to his homeland. That is, until dealing with his taxing sentinels finally roused the ire of the Noxian High Command.
As Durand crossed the Howling Marsh with his masterwork in tow, he was set upon by Noxian assassins in force. Outnumbered and overwhelmed, Galio looked on in horror as the murderers cut down his charge, executing him swiftly before vanishing back into the mists. Stripped of his reason for being, Galio despaired. For years he remained in solitude, standing vigil over the bones of the master he had failed to protect... a literal monument to his own everlasting shame. Then, on one nondescript day, a sad but determined yordle girl carrying a mighty Demacian crown stopped in the shadow of a great statue to rest. Hidden in plain sight from his unsuspecting visitor, Galio studied the forlorn yordle. She looked as though she too shouldered a tremendous burden. As quietly and as stoically as she had arrived, she departed in the direction of Demacia. This encounter lit a spark in Galio's eye. Remembering the cause that his master had died defending, Galio arose from his silent purgatory and followed in the wake of this brave creature. He had a new reason to live: to join the League of Legends and fight for the will of Demacia.
Videos about Galio
League of Legends - Galio Champion Spotlight
Galio - Emotes
+ Good tank , who can't be ignored.
+ Ultimate can turn battle to your advantage.
+ Strong harassment.
+ Can walk out of team fight with full hp.
+ Great AP counter.
+ Good support
- Really mana hungry
- Enemies can easily dodge Resolute Smite.
- Vulnerable versus AD carries
- Can be bullied early game.
- Jungler like Udyr , Trundle can make him hard times
- Underrated and rareley seen
Greater glyph of Shielding
Good when fighting mid versus AP, Later on you will feel the diffirence with AP and MR and in damage taken.
Greater seal of ReplenishmentGreater seal of Replenishment
One of the best type of seals in game for any AP, will be good before Chalice of Harmony.
The viable summoner spells
It's like standard summoner spell for most champions of the League
Galio - It is good if you are a aggressive player or u are having a ganker without any reliable cc like Shaco so you can Flash + idol of duran combo to taunt enemy , then use your basic combo Resolute Smite and Righteous Gust then finish him !
With your runes and masteries you will have pretty decent mana regen so it wont be a big problem for you especially later when you will have blue buff or Chalice of Harmony.
The semi-viable summoner spells
This is not a bad summoner spell , but not so needed, best in 1 versus 2 lanes or in team fights. Galio can use it when ulting with low hp, and baiting enemies if they think he is low on hp
Also Galio is one of the best supports in League so if you want to be good support you must have it.
Runic Skin(passive) - This passive makes you perfect anti-ap tank it makes you like AP bruiser.
At level one can get about 50 AP with out any AP items.
- Don't only focuse on taking MR items , you should take AP and MR item combos like Abyssal Mask
- Take your MR runes, like Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist and with Null-Magic Mantle your early AP will be about 50, and you can say thanks to runic skin.
Resolute Smite (Q) - This is awesome skill, this is his main damage skill, main initiator skill, but only if you can aim it correctly.
Also Resolute smite- Is not only your biggest damage skill but good gap closer when chasing or when fleeting, just resolute smite an enemy to slow him
- Try to predict enemys next move including minion movement (expect if it's Fizz and then you will easily land Resolute smite.
- Resolute smite is main part of your combo , and your main farm ability
- Resolute smite got low CD so try to zone your enemy so he couldn't farm or get exp
Bulwark (W) - This is your main sustain and healing ability.
Bulwark-I advice you to max it last at level 13 , you may ask why ? because at mid game you can tank turrets with Bulwark spell or you can save your own life with it.
- When fighting in a team fight you will be full hp , so put you Bulwark on a carry to give him MR/AR and you will be healed as well.
- After a fight or gank if your low you can rush your creep wave active Bulwark and when creeps will hit you, you will be healed , once i healed full hp.
- Also you can Bulwark-your allied champion to save him or your self from death.
Righteous Gust (E) - Main Galio fleeting ability also important part of your main farm combo.
Galio shouldn't max Righteous Gust first only because of its low damage and small radius, but that's optional looking at wheather your goint Tanky or APish
- Righteous Gust - In a fight try to land it at least at 2-3 enemies so you could take off banshee veil and do damage.
- Use Righteous Gust if you want to save your teammates from chase and make their and your chances of surviving bigger.
- If you Flash is on CD you can use Righteous Gust for initating fight, after using Idol of Durand
- Idol of Durand - Is great initiation skill, perfect for Flash + Idol of Durand combo.
- Idol of Durand-As i said earlier in teamfights you will be focused really late so when their team is focusing your carry try to land a good Idol of Durand to taunt at least 2-3 enemies and save the carry!
- Idol of Durand - As a taunt ability you can taunt a pushing enemy into turret so he would tank turret and damage from idon of durand
Athene's unholy grail
For Galio this item is just "must need" , because of Magic resist and Magic regen.
Best choice of boots for you, give you MR and AP . Also tenacity is good for your ultimate so it can't be stoped so easily.
Ionian boots of Lucidity
Optional boots, if your fighting versus no-ap team, you will compensate with CDR on your combo and ultimate, to my mind not the best boots to get.
NOT ADVISED BOOTS
Good item versus tanky teams that deal low damage but stack MR.Good combo if you got Amumu in your team. Only adviced for a "galss cannon" build
But it if you got balanced team with fed carry , so when your using Idol of Durand you would deal double damage, since if your taunted you will deal only basic attacks it will deal at least minor damage to every one.
Good last item for maximizing you AP and giving you more damage late game , since all your skills scale only with AP and at the end of the game you will have about 300-500 AP some times even more and that means you will do damage.
Good item if your not going tank , or you are tanky enought , it will make your mana issues really minor an you will stack it really good, so you will not have any problems with mana, and bonuse AP will be good.
Will of the Ancients
Since all your skills deal magic damage your spell wamp will be good , your basic combos will heal you really well, but don't really like to take this only because you got enought healing ability with Bulwark.
Since Banshee's Veil will be your onlt HP item you will have about 2,3k HP so if you want to be tankier you can take it, it got synergy with your ults and your gigantic CDS
- 1st of all it's his passive Runic Skin in a good and balanced team AP carry must go mid but Galio is epic AP carry/Tank and Anti-mage in one champion .
- His farming ability is just insane with 1 combo of 2 skills he can take out gigantic farms
- His sustain with Bulwark is insane , from 1 minion wave you can heal at least 510 HP at rank 5
- Galio is really mana hungry champion , but he can take it by him self easily and with full hp if you lure blue buff closer to you and leave small creeps so they would hit you , but when you use Bulwark they will heal you + blue buff.
- Galio is really underrated so not all player will count him as a threat so they will try to be aggresuve and Galio will use it to deal massive damage.
- Galio got 1 combo for farming and harassing - Resolute Smite + Righteous Gust.
- Galio can carry if laning with Nunu & Willump , Amumu katarin and this combo can be late game carry.
- If you got Galio as support take not Doran's Blade but Boots and 3x Health Potion , because he got no slow only AR/MR buff.
- Galio support is popular for his harassment , he can camp in his bush and if enemy carry comes too close he will scare him with his basic combo.
- Galio is also really good in fight pre level 6, put Bulwark on your carry and make your combo if carry got no MR , he will feel the damage.
- Also Galio as a support is good for fleeting/chasing - with your basic combos you can slow enemy wile speeding up your self.
- Post level 6 when you will have your Idol of Durand you will now get the full idea of Galio as a perfect tank and fiht changer.
- Galio also got bad aspects - He is really mana hungry as a champion and support, he can't heal or give mana so your carry must be advanced level.
- It's hard to push your lane if your Galio so you don't really need sight ward, but always carry few of them in invintory
So i shared my ideas about popular support Galio.
Morgana - So talking about Morgana , your harassment can't keep up with her spell wamp so try to take Mercury's Treads and then only dodge Dark Binding then you can easily kill her, also if she tries to harass you with Tormented Shadow just Bulwark so you wouldn't lose too much hp, an her Black Shield can really counter you becuase of her damage and slow ignore from Resolute Smite.
Vladimir - Vladimir got nerfed again. So i don't know what to write here, harass him , don't let him get Will of the Ancients and when fighting Ignite him so he won't spell wamp.
Lux - She is just on annoying champion using her Lucent Singularity she can harass you and if she uses her passive Illumination she can deal great damage ! You wont really feel all her damage if you will buy MR, with blue buff you got more chances of harassing her that she will harass you.
Anivia - Yeah Anivia is my main AP carry, so i know all about her and i deffinetly know how she rapes Galio even your MR wont save you, her harass is stronger and if you think that you might killed her your wrong only because of her Rebirth. So don't waste your ultimate if she got Rebirth
Gragas - This hilly-billy , isn't really a big threat you will think of getting fast boots, since both of you are pushers your lanes will be 60 % empty and you both will be waiting creeps. Gragas is like mirror of you , your ultimates are similar and you got similar uses of it.
Akali - About this ninja , she is really over nerfed but still , she can kick your *** at mid. When she casts her Twilight Shroud she is not only stealthed but gains MR so if you got no blue buff don't really attack her.
Caitlyn - This is really rare champion what you can see mid but if she comes she will give you hard times , because you will stack MR not AR so she will deal you damage, but still you can harass her really well and if you land few of your combos right she can become and easy kill for you, also her damage will be good for you when you will use Idol of Durand so she would deal damage to her self.
Kassadin - This is one of the rare champions that can beat the **** out of you. You may ask how does Kassadin counters Galio because you will give him stacks for his Force Pulse. Try to take his blue buff and he will be harmless. Your combos will be not enought for him since he can silence you and his silence CD is lower that Resolute Smite.
Ashe - To my mind she is and easy kill for almost any mid laner, her damage is really low early, mana costs are big and sustain minor, you will kill her in 99% if she won't have Flash. Also you will counter her volly if you will stand correctly behind your creeps
Cassiopeia - About this snake, since she is really scary AP carry you will want to focuse of ruining her early game so call ganks on her , because it will be really hard to kill her 1 versus 1, both your ultimates are game changers but her deals a lot more damage and if she uses her ultimate after stuning you she can continue hitting you but when you use Idol of Durand you cant use skills.
Brand - You really can counter him , since you counter all AP carries and he is like Cassiopeia - DANGEROUSE , so try to dodge his Pillar of Flame and harass him because your combo is harded to dodge.
Karthus - His harassment is really stong and way stonger then yours. You should try to dodge his Lay Waste but if you will jump on him he will probably melt your HP with Defile and Lay Waste, because it's hard to doge Lay Waste in close combat , also his Wall of Pain will be as a finisher followed up with Lay Waste.
Katarina - About her , you will 90% kill her because when she uses Shunpo you can land your combo to harass her , and she wont deal enought damage to harass you with her Bouncing Blades.
He is really underrated and forgotten so we need people to see him in new light and .
Im just a simple guy from LATVIAso im playing on EU/W server , if you want to invite me my summoner name is - smiliwat.
Visit my Lee Sin guide
Three Lanes of Lee Sin- Jungle , Solo , Mid.
Also visit slydunan Ryze Guide if you want to know how to rape Galio mid.
2012/02/27 - Added sections - "Supporting as Galio"
- Added visual materials
- Edited "other mid laners" - Kassadin , Akali.
- Guide name changed from -Underrated Gargoyle *In Deaph by smiLiwaT. to Long Forgotten Gargoyle
2012/04/06 - Build edited and un archivated/
- Added now build "glass cannon"