Cho'Gath Build Guide by Hijitori
Addition for Balori's ap Cho'God fans! (threats & tips)By Hijitori | Updated on March 19, 2020
Your votes and comments encourage our guide authors to continue
creating helpful guides for the League of Legends community.
+9 Adaptive (5.4 AD or 9 AP)
+9 Adaptive (5.4 AD or 9 AP)
+15-90 HP (lvls 1-18)
Threats & Synergies
His sustain makes him a champion that cho'gath doesn't like. Ban Darius! (he is Balori's ban!)
Skill matchup. Good fiora won't allow you to come up to minions. She can kill you after 6 lvl doing amazing all-in because of her insane sustain. Her Q ability makes her hard to hit her and her W ability makes it even more rough. Good fiora will block your Q with her W even if you attack from the bushes (i mean if she can't see you). She outscales you after reaching around 5th item with her lifesteal. You need to use your head here. It would be my second ban after Darius if I had a choice.
Jhin becomes a problem in late game, when he outscales you (deals around 1000 dmg per hit) and he reaches his passive movement speed that allows him to run through your Q without a problem. Also as you grow up you become an easy target for him to stun you with his W (usually you are dead once he hits this) or easily hit you with his ultimate. You have to use your head.. and fog of war to kill him. (bushes, jungle)
True damage is your enemy. Ofc her Q and W abilities, but the real problem comes up in late game, when she outscales and kills you easily. Only using Fog of War you will have a chance to kill her. This is Russian roulette. If you miss your Q - you are dead. Remember to always use your W if you hit your Q, so she can't push you with her W and give herself time for Q dashes and kite.
- Stand back from minions, as he can use his E ability to come up to you. Good Renekton will take a chance every time you miss your Q, and will punish you hard for this. Have on your mind that his E cd is 18 seconds in the early game. - Your strategy is to poke him and when he is low enough for your combo, surprise him from the bushes. - Even if you are far ahead, Renekton can still go all-in and kill you without a problem.
You need to destroy him early and mid game. Mordekaiser post level 11 will sometimes be still able to kill you with his ultimate, despite your advantage.
His passive shield recovers every 10 seconds during laning phase makes it hard to poke down to low hp. He is playing with your gamestyle - poking and waiting for his ultimate to finish you when you are around 400-500 hp, always watch out for his Ultimate, consider he can be waiting in bushes for an ambush and finish you.
His true damage on W passive, slow effect on Q and his passive, his dash on E, that helps him in kiting. Good gnar will punish you for every Q used on minions by you. In this situation it might be better to try to last-hit most minions with Aa or E, leaving Q for the moment he starts to punish you. Once Gnar builds PHAGE he gains lifesteal so he can recover lost hp (together with Doran's Blade) and thanks to the ghost he can easily KITE and POKE you, and also DODGE your Q.
She can bounce off you when you want to reach her. Also she can spot you with her W if you try to ambush her. You need to take advantage of her low hp in early and mid game, and try to kill her then, before she starts to outscale you in late game.
Her Q ability slows and stuns you, also deals a lot of damage. Makes you some troubles mostly in mid game. Her movement speed makes her hard to hit with your Q.
Usually if she hits you with her charming in late game's team fight - you are dead. You have to remember you are no tank at all. Always be careful with her late.
Her ult makes killing anybody risky, as it might overpower your ult damage, also she can turn you into kitty and interrupt you in killing the adc. Sometimes it is good to take HER down instead of adc.
If you don't manager to use your Ultimate to instantly finish him, it will instantly give him full passive W damage and he will kill you. Don't move close to farm so he can't grab you with his E. Sett can cancel your Q stun with his Ultimate "unstoppable" effect. Try to use Ultimate after using your silence to prevent him from using his shield. Also when poking down, never come to hit E after Q W combo - he will outtrade you if you try to. Watch out for his movement speed passive when chasing you to not get stunned.
Her passive mobility in mid/late makes her hard to hit if she knows anything about dodging skillshots.
Ornn has got unstoppable effects on W and his dash E, which means he can stop your Q knock easily. If he builds mr and health he is going to be almost unkillable, which might end up with you having too little stacks later on.
Kled is an early game pick champion. "If you burn his passive early, he is going to be pretty much useless, but you need to focus to not let him stack it with his Q. So If you dodge that, you are going to be ok." - Balori
Her shield will annoy you if she is fast enough.
His W shield works only on your E. Ofc he can dodge your Q with his E, but it won't happen if you will use For of War and use Q from the bushes. He can kill you pre-6, but you have almost a free kill post-6 lvl. Hard times will come in very late game (around 5th item), when he can outscale you, as he gets tons of damage and life steal.
Tryndamere is rather annoying then hard. You have troubles with getting your stacks, because when you use your ulti Trynda uses his ulti as well. This means you can still kill him but you lose a stack and you can't stop him from using his ultimate with your silence. Also be careful with his level 1 passive critical strike, that can reach up to 30%. Sometimes Trynda gets lucky and hits you constantly with critical hits on first level, dealing around 150 hp per hit. In mid/late game you can surprise him finishing him with your ultimate before he uses his ult, because you deal around 900 true damage then, which most Tryndameres can't expect.
Luckily his R range isn't so big, but still he can reach you with that and give enough time for enemy team to kill you. His passive shield also sometimes makes you troubles. Try to hit him with your E first and then use your Q if you want to get stack from the ambush.
Sivir's ultimate blocks your Q, which can make you mad sometimes, but she doesn't outscale you so she is.. edible.
I like this one. He has got some damage and can slow you down with his W, but his passive is just showing you an exact place where he is going to move.
Never underestimate her while feasting on her, so you don't lose your stack.
His ultimate is pretty useless against you. Avoid getting hit by his Q critical zones.
When she ults, she is closed in the small circle together with you. You know where to hit your Q then.
Look out for enemy jungler's ganks. Galio doesn't deal much damage when fighting alone.
Easy laning phase. Try to use your W so he can't use his Ultimate when you want to feast on him, use Ignite to reduce his healing on Ulti. In late game Dr. Mundo will overpower your damage and will be able to kill you if he has got his Ultimate then. Always fight with group.
The biggest problem is his W, which can remove your Q and W effects, also he can use it just at the moment when you wanted to feast on him.
Don't let him stack conqueror, poke him and finish him from the ambush when he has got the right amount of hp.
If he is gonna use Q on you, try to hit your W first, so he won't be able to insta spin with his E. That will negate his combo. Poke him all the time.
Usually low enough for you to one-combo him and feast on him.
Care for his dash so he won't avoid your Q knockback. Also he will put his mini trees in the bushes so it will make it harder to ambush Q.
Don't give him first blood, as he is one of the strongest champions on 1 lvl duels. His ult can block your Q and W but that's not dangerous if you are close to your turret.
Just make sure he doesn't block your Ultimate with his W ability.
This is Rengar top. His power is in his early game attack from bush damage, so try not to move around bushes on first levels. With your ultimate you are able to kill him easily.
Destroy him in the early game. He can surprise you post-11 with his sustain, life steal and damage on you. The good thing is that you get hp and mana for his W cage wall.
If he uses his ultimate, he gets enough lifesteal to counter your Q W E R combo, so poke him down.
Gets pretty useless if you silence her with your W in teamfights. Her E is a problem if you want to poke her down, that's why you will have to use bushes and FoW a lot.
He can dodge your Q with his W ability, gaining movement speed and avoiding your Q slow effects, but still gaining a lot of damage.
A lot tanky, but not a lot of damage on you.
You can silence her during her casting her ultimate. Care for her E dash so she doesn't dodge your Q.
Be careful early game. Voli is one of the most powerful champions on first levels due to his W ability (attack speed) and passive first blood potential. Later on you just need to poke down his passive utility, check if he has got it up by clicking on him and seeing his buffs and there's pretty easy kill then.
Her passive is working with your passive, which means you get free hp and mana for every tentacle!
One of the easiest champions. You need to punish him when you have the chance. Poke and eventually - when he is low enough for your combo - kill him.
Kayle is one of the easiest enemies for Cho'gath, you can one-shot her once you reach level 6. Always try to use your W before using your ultimate.
Sion has got very little hp on the first levels, which makes him easy kill early. You can cancel his Q using your W or Q. Remember that he can ult to be back on the lane in a few seconds, so don't go for plates when you are low hp or mana.
His time ends after your 2 Doran's Rings, bcs of your infinite mana for Q, or once you hit your level 6 - then you can one-combo him easily with your ulti. The only problem in Teemo's ultimate is that you can get spotted by his mooshrooms (walking into them or just he can bounce them to reveal you). Sometimes it ruins your ambush attack.
You have to consider that she can dodge your Q ability and catch up you easily, because of her 3 dashes. Otherwise she's not problematic, because you can kill her with one combo!
Ryze is another low hp for one combo to eat. He is dead as soon as you hit level 6, especially considering that his ulti is useless in laning phase.
Perfect combo on your Q.
Warwick has a slow on his Q and stun on his R. If he ganks and hits one of those, you can hit your Q easily and kill the enemy.
You know that if Cho'Gath grows, he gains AA range? The vorbal spikes get even more impressive!
Morgana's E gives you CC protection which can be useful sometimes. Her 3 seconds stun duration on Q gives you incredibly lot of time to hit your Q easily and kill your enemy.
Jarvan's Ultimate perfectly fits your Q and W size.
Priceless for late game team fights. When Malphite hits his R - you can easily hit your Q and W and kill them all.
His W fits your Q = free hit.
Two helpful ccs during ganks and a good tank to have on your team.
When she hits her stun on W you have easy Q hit and kill. Her invicibility on E can help you to surprise your enemies and hide your Q animation. Useful healing from her Q and R.
Her charming gives you enough time to hit your Q when she ganks, usually resulting wtih a ree kill.
Rakan's knock up and Ulti charming groups enemies in close distance for enough time to hit Q W combo easy and destroy them all.
Champion Build Guide
"Remember that you got the power to overpower them all. As long as you play with focus and to try to play as good as you can, you are going to always be victorious in the end." - Balori
Link to Balori's Guide - https://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/build/full-magic-penetration-build-by-top-1-chogath-in-the-world-470949
"How did I miss that?"
- Ap Cho'gath is squishy. Even if you have around 5000 HP in late, you still will be easy to kill for enemies in late game.
- AP Cho is way more fun and more effective in the right hands than tank Cho.
- You will take responsibility for almost every Q that you miss. Very often if you miss your Q - you or your teammate is dead.
- You will be depending on proper using Fog of War in Duels and Team Fights aswell, this means using bushes and walls a lot.
- You need patience. You will often wait in a bush to get an ambush ready for low-hp / squishy enemy champions - you will see waves of creeps dying next to you a lot of times and you will need to bear that.
"If you can't handle the toxicity from your teammates, just mute them and focus on playing. If you can sustain their toxicity just leave this like that and try to calm them down."
Now let's follow Balori's strategies. Try to reach top lane bushes before your enemy. Get to the bush closer to your base and try to use Q to last hit the first 3 minions and hit enemy champion at the same time.
If those 3 minions seperate (bcs enemy full pushed them) - use your Q on enemy champion and then try to aa all the 3 minions instantly, so he can't punish you (because you just CCed and poked him with Q)
Your Q costs you always 60 mana and is always 7 sec CD. Focus on finishing creeps with Q who are too far and dangerously for you to aa them. Try to kill minions and poke your enemy at the same time, so it saves you some mana (passive + poke)
Level 2 E ability is the moment of getting a chance for first blood if enemy underestimates you and forgets that you have got your Ignite and wave of minions near to help when he attacks you (your E damage on level 2 is amazing).
You can push waves faster by moving through minions to group them in one spot to hit all at the same time. Here's an example of full push to immediately take free plates;
"We need to always focus on farming. No matter what, no matter against who you are playing, you're always going to focus on farming."
This is the most efficient combo. I picked it up from some challenger players. F.E:
When you ambush enemy who is at distance you are gonna try to do:
Q > W (as prolonged as possible) > Protobelt > E > R or Q > W (as prolonged as possible) > Protobelt > AA > E > R when you have enough time or you know that your enemy can't escape you.
"Right now he thinks he's more powerful because I'm playing passive and right now I am going to kill him because of that."
Once you swap with your bot lane, try to get into the bot lane bushes so the enemy bot lane can't see you, to make enemy adc a surprise ambush attack.
Remember you are gonna need Oracle Lens when you swap with Bot lane.
"I can't believe that I died one against two. I need to practise more then."
- Use your Ultimate to "ks". The stacks make it double-gold so it is worth.
- Use your Ultimate when you notice your top laner is roaming at the moment (f.e. he is on the way to mid lane or pushing mid tower). Eat minion for a free minion stack, you will have about 30 or more next seconds before he comes back.
- Never save your Ultimate "for later", always eat an enemy champ when you get the chance! Stack gives you size, damage (on E and R) and 120 hp PERMAMENTLY, which makes it worth around additional 400 gold so it is similar to getting double kill!
- Eat a creep before you recall. There will pass about 30 seconds before your return, so you will have your Ultimate almost fully back and ready to use.
- Use your Ultimate on any creep in range when you are about to die and your team can't help you. This is the "worst case", but mistakes happen to everyone.
- When your team is killing Dragon, Herold or Baron - always eat it, even if your jungler wants to smite it. Firstly - you deal more damage with your ultimate than jungler with his smite so it is harder for enemies to steal it and secondly - ulting one of these 3 epic monsters counts the same as champion stacks, so it is a free feast stack.
- Remember that Cho'Gath's Ultimate has got about 0.3 seconds delay. It can be the missing split second sometimes.
- Remember that on 6th level you will deal about 1050 damage to monsters and on 16th level you will deal about 1500 damage with your Ultimate.
"Before we go back - always full push. You need to force them to lose as much gold as possible. So before you go back to your base to get your items full push the lane, force the tower to kill all the creeps and you're going to be just fine."
"I made one mistake and right now our teammates will make sure that it's going to be impossible to get carried."
- Farming is the most important thing, even if you don't have kills, but you have 80% possible creeps you will be fed and strong. Imagine if you didn't miss a single creep. You would be always fed and carry. So try to achieve as many minions as you can (there are possible to have about 108 minions in 10 minute if you don't fail).
- When you are in the base waiting for hp and mana regen - stand on the edge of the buying zone and if you have 2 Doran rings already, you should leave base as soon as you regen about 80-90% hp or 50% mana (depending on what you need). Rings will recover your mana really fast, regen and passive will recover your hp back fast - every second is worth its weight in gold!
- Don't roam before getting at least the first turret. Cho'gath is bad at roaming, rather focus on farming, improving and punishing enemy top laner instead.
- There are a lot of champions who will outscale you after getting 5/6 full item (Vayne, Yasuo, Kayle). Around 5th full item your build's power decreases with passing time. You will be getting more vulnerable and will need to struggle more to get a kill - when there will be more team fights - there will be more vision ruining your ambush attack aswell. When you reach your 5th item, it's time to try to end the game, before your FOOD catches you up.
- While trying to catch your food - don't use your Q right on it, but use your Q behind the enemy champion. He might dodge that, however he will be forced to go backwards into your W or R ability range.
- Like I said in Combo Section - Your E ability resets your Auto-Attack. You can use that f.e. to push tower or destroy enemy's vision faster.
- Cho's E ability gives him 50 range for next 3 AA. You can use this sometimes through narrow walls to f.e. assist in a kill or destroy enemy's vision.
- Before going back to get your items try to full push the minions, so enemy will lose creeps under his turret.
- Save flash and Ultimate to be able to kill squishy back liners (f.e. Vayne, Syndra)
- Be aware - Cho'Gath's W and R have about 0.2-0.4 sec usage delay. You will feel this when you face enemies who are good at dodging skillshots (there is a way to cancel Cho's Ultimate - if enemy flashes away at the same time you use your Ultimate, it will cancel and you won't get the stack).
- When enemy is recolling, bait him that you are not gonna use your Q on him and wait for the very last second to hit your Q, so he will think he will make it to recall.
- When full pushing the lane, you can move through coming minions to bait them in your Q circle.
- Sometimes you can use just your IGNITE for escape because of the Nimbus Cloak extra speed and you can also use it to catch enemy champion.
"This mistake will cost us a lot of creeps. Not the death, don't worry about that. Just worry about the farm."
- Herold summoned by enemy team gives you permanent stack.
- Wukong's clone gives you permanent stack.
- Killing someone who has got active Guardian Angel doesn't give you any stack.
"Just relax guys, just relax."
This are nightmares items for Cho to play against. F.e. taking this item can punish you, kite and dodge run through your Q easily. Also the mercury reduces your cc.
Although it isn't a big problem, it might give your opponent enough sustain to heal your Q damage after a few minion hits, f.e.
Using Zhonya usually gives you free Q hit, because you know where to use it.
This is a pretty annoying item against Cho, because killing opponent when it's active will cancel feast stack. At least you can now time your Q perfectly for the moment enemy becomes vulnerable, just like