This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page
All about Blitzcrank: Support / AD / AP
Your votes and comments encourage our guide authors to continue
creating helpful guides for the League of Legends community.
Choose Champion Build:
So, I saved my first 6300 IP to buy him back then and I must admit it was the best investment in IP I ever made. I've played so many games with Blitz, that I can safely say I have mastered this champion.
I have tried many ways of playing Blitzcrank and had fun with all of them. The current meta favors Support Blitzcrank, but if you just wanna have fun playing normals, there is nothing stopping you from trying AD and AP Blitzcrank solo top. I even have a section for Jungling, but I don't think it's worth it in this season. Never hurts to try though :P
For the record, my favorite build is Ad bruiser, although I nearly always choose to support with Blitz.
Season 5 has arrived!! I will be updating the guide and I'll make changes as I try the new masteries and support items.
The city of Zaun is a place where both magic and science have gone awry. The unchecked nature of experimentation has taken its toll on the city. However, Zaun's lenient restrictions allow their researchers and inventors the leeway to push the bounds of science at an accelerated rate, for better or worse. It was under these conditions that a team of doctoral students from Zaun's College of Techmaturgy made a breakthrough in the field of intelligent steam automation. Their creation, the steam golem Blitzcrank, was developed to exercise judgment on-the-fly in order to assist with Zaun's hazardous waste reclamation process, since so often the conditions did not allow for human supervision. However, he soon began exhibiting unforeseen behaviors.
Over time, the scientists were able to identify a demonstrated learning process, and Blitzcrank fast became a celebrity. As is sadly often the case though, credit for the golem's creation was scooped up by another - Professor Stanwick Pididly - though most now know the truth. In the wake of the ensuing legal maelstrom, it became evident that neither party truly had the steam golem's best interests at heart, and Blitzcrank humbly petitioned for personal autonomy. Backed by overwhelming support from the public, it took the liberal Council of Zaun only a few weeks to declare Blitzcrank a fully-independent, sentient entity. A unique being, the golem left Zaun, distressed by the controversy and feeling there was no place he could fit in. His travels led him to the one location in Valoran where unique beings have a place - the League of Legends. Fortunately, he was easily able to adapt his design to suit the rigors he would face on the Fields of Justice.
Though Blitzcrank may batter anything that stands in his way, he really has a heart of gold... encased in a framework of iron... in a carapace of steel.
- General pros/cons of choosing Blitzcrank
- Support role
- AD role
- AP role
- Scary baby sitter
- Can zone hard a bad enemy composition
- Has enough CC to keep his carry alive or punish a bad gank
- Amazing mid-late game team fight initiation (game-changing)
- Capped CD reduction
- Can deal a fair amount of damage and serve an easy kill
- Has enough speed to play the warding game
- Has no heal
- Wards in brush shut him down early
- Needs a strong laning partner
- Often relies on skillshot
- Nice damage output from early on with Sheen
- Can clear a wave fast enough with Static Field
- Extremely tanky while dealing reliable damage
- His speed conmbined with low CD on Power Fist gives him insane control on his target
- No sustain in lane
- Not that good vs most solo top champions
- Needs a lot of farm
- Not good at clearing waves pre 6
- Solo top keeps him away from early game team objectives
- Insane combo burst with Lich Bane and his skills
- Obliterates creep waves with Static Field
- Still tanky enough
- Low cd on skills with cd reduction
- Relies on Rocket Grab
- Once he uses his combo he can only use Power Fist with the Lich Bane proc for damage
- Item dependent
- Can be bullied in top lane by stronger laners because he has no sustain or damage early
- Amazing ganks
- Good damage, same as AD
- Tanky enough
- Nice mobility(Useful when roaming)
- Ganks usually rely on skill shot
- Not a fast jungler
- Mana needs to be conserved for a gank
- Needs blue
- Can be set back from counter-jungling
support Blitz is 9-0-21. I grab cooldown reduction and physical damage to make my Power Fist hurt more and then all those useful utility masteries.
In Ad build I focus my mastery selection in offense (21-9-0), choosing all Ad-related masteries along with some ap, maximazing my damage output as much as I can for early game. I also grab health and block from the defense tree.
In Ap build I also focus in offense, using 21 points in ability power related masteries, but I also pick some flat ad. Then I take 9 points in utility grabbing that delicious cookies...
In support build I use 9 Greater Mark of Attack Damage to boost my damage a little. Then I use 9 Greater Seal of Health, 9 Greater Glyph of Magic Resist and 3 Greater Quintessence of Armor for my defense as a tanky support.
In Ad build I use 9 Greater Mark of hybrid penetration because Blitz deals a good deal of both ad and ap damage, 9 Greater Seal of Armor and 9 Greater Glyph of Magic Resist for my early defense and 3 Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage to inflict more damage with auto attacks and Power Fist.
In Ap build I use 9 Greater Mark of hybrid penetration because it synergizes well with the Devastating Strikes mastery, 9 Greater Seal of Armor because I solo top vs (usually) an Ad opponent. I also use 9 Greater Glyph of Magic Resist for magic defense. For quintessences I prefer Greater Quintessence of Ability Power.
Mana Barrier: This passive makes Blitzcrank tanky by stacking items that provide mana pool.
Rocket Grab(Q): This is Blitzcrank's signature spell and what makes him so special. One of the most funny to use abilities that also helps distinguish good players. It is a skillshot that grabs the first enemy hit within 1000 range and drags him to Blitzcrank.
Overdrive(W): This spell is Blitzcrank's build in steroid that significantly boosts his speed and attack speed.
Power Fist(E): This spell is a knock-up CC with a low cooldown, giving Blitzcrank a lot of single target control.
Static Field(R): This is his ultimate, which has both a passive feature and an active one! This, along with Q and E abilities, is the 3rd way Blitzcrank can interrupt a channeling spell (like Nunu & Willump's Absolute Zero), because it silences the enemies in 600 range AOE for 0,5 sec!
As far as skill sequense is concerned, I have a different route for every role.
When supporting I max out Rocket Grab first, mainly, because every rank reduces its cooldown, so I can use it more often to opt for a kill and it does 300 damage by level 9 that helps a lot. In addition, it has come to my attention that I nearly never have the chance to Power Fist twice due to the small duration of the 2v2 fights, when, either the opponent caught manages to escape, with Flash and the help of his support, or he dies to the combined damage output of Blitz and his Ad carry. Second I max Overdrive for speed and last Power Fist. I take Static Field immediately when available.
When I am top as Ad, I prefer to max out Power Fist first, because I really need that CC on low cd to farm, harass and bully my opponent. Top laners, being tanky, tend to engage in longer lasting battles, where Power Fist can be used twice or more. Then I max Overdrive for movement speed and attack speed and I leave Rocket Grab for last as its range is equal at all levels. Static Field is picked always at levels 6, 11 and 16!
In Ap build I max out Rocket Grab first again, due to the fact that it is my main source of damage paired with Static Field. Then I focus on Power Fist for the reduction of its cooldown per rank and I leave Overdrive for last. Static Field ranked when available as always.
In all 4 builds I use Flash, even though it's nerfed, because I fancy the Flash-then- Rocket Grab technique to catch a fleeing opponent or Flash- Power Fist to initiate. Also Blitzcrank can escape easily if he uses that meager 400 range Flash and Overdrive away like crazy.
So, together with Flash, I use:
- Exhaust or Ignite as support(or sometimes Clairvoyance)
- Ignite or Exhaust as an AD bruiser
- Ignite for the extra damage as AP
- and Smite as all Junglers should.
- Teleport: I maybe use this as AD when solo-ing top. It gives you the advantage of a quick dragon, a quick gank, teleporting to save an ally or simply getting back to your lane faster.
- Ghost: I really don't like this on Blitz, mainly because he has a movement speed buff of his own and Flash helps him so much more.(wall jump etc.)
- Heal: A good spell, nowadays, that can be used instead of Flash or Clairvoyance when supporting. It's useful to other roles as well. I just don't use it often.
- Clarity: It used to be a choice for some reason, but I never used it or appreciated it. Mana regen and mana pool is sufficient and other summoner spells are just more useful.
- Cleanse: Good spell overall, but I would choose it for a carry that needs to be free from hard CC in order to deal more damage or simply live. If you get focused by CC then it is probably a good thing cause every CC on Blitz is -1 CC for your Carries! You are tanky enough to endure even a Chain-CC-combo.
- Surge: I don't know much about this spell, haven't even tested it, so I will just say that I never use it and I can't find a reason why I should. I don't need attack speed or ablity power and/or other choices offer a far better advantage.
- Promote, Revive: Bla Bla Bla... I build tanky so I don't usually or easily die and pushing with a "super catapult" is not that useful in any lane that doesn't want to get ganked.
The most viable way of playing Blitzcrank is support.
When supporting, I usually choosed typical support items.
So first, I build Relic Shield, then I buy boots and save for the Sightstone which I upgrade when needed. Afterwards I upgrade to targon's brace and buy Mobility Boots. Then I build my Frostfire Gauntlet. Complete face of the mountain and buy some magic resist and armor to become a bit more tanky. So I build Locket of the Iron Solari and Randuin's Omen when I can.
Warding is the most important thing when playing a support along with protecting your carry and that usually helps your team win the game.
Alternative item choices are:
- Mikael's Blessing which is a great support item to keep your carry alive
- Mercury's Treads in some games they are essential
- Spirit Visage
- Abyssal Mask
You made it to my favorite build of all!The AD one!
When I play AD bruiser Blitzcrank solo top, I start with Sapphire Crystal and a 2 Health Potions. I immediately build Tear of the Goddess followed by a Sheen for the extra burst every time I Power Fist. Cooldown reduction come next with Glacial Shroud and The Brutalizer. Then I upgrade to tier 2 boots and also finish Manamune and Frozen Heart. Next I build my Trinity Force, followed by Black Cleaver. At last I finish my build with a Banshee's Veil. With this build you have a very strong bruiser with high resist and a big health pool in addition to a huge shield.
Alternative item choices are:
- Mobility Boots if the enemy team doesn't have much CC
- Ionian Boots of Lucidity if you want to cap your CD reduction (personal favorite)
- Infinity Edge if you are owning hard or need that extra damage(dat crit hurts)
- Guardian Angel for who knows why, maybe immortality
- Maw of Malmortius shields, shields everywhere
So here you are at Blitzcrank's most underplayed side, which is a lot of fun btw.
When playing AP and solo top, I (again) start with Sapphire Crystal and 2 Health Potions. So, at first, I build a catalyst the protector followed by a Sheen which is good for early Power Fist damage and will build into a Frostfire Gauntlet later on. I finish Rod of Ages, buy tier 2 boots and then build a Sheen. As a true bruiser, I build defensively and buy an Frostfire Gauntlet for my armor and an Abyssal Mask for my magic resist. Last, I choose Rabadon's Deathcap for the extra ap.
Minion waves are obliterated with Static Field so you can push very very fast. Generally if you can survive the laning phase and be a little farmed, then you are a true asset to your team. The only problem is focus fire. In a teamfight, once you blow your ultimate Static Field and use Rocket Grab, your only source of damage is the Sheen proc and Power Fist attack. You should always try to catch an opponent off-guard to gain an advantage (preferrably a Carry).A well-aimed Rocket Grab wins games.
Alternative item choices:
- Guardian Angel for more magic resist and armor.
- Void Staff if your opponents decided to stack some magic resist
- Will of the Ancients or Hextech Gunblade for spell vamp and stuff
- Rylai's Crystal Scepter for a bit of extra health, ap and the nice slow effect added on top
- Banshee's Veil if you need it
- Lich Bane instead of Frostfire Gauntlet
- Archangel's Staff instead of a Rod of Ages
6 greater mark of armor penetration
3 Greater Mark of Attack Damage
9 Greater Seal of Armor
9 Greater Glyph of Armor
3 Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage
Basically the masteries are the same as in the AD build. 21 points in offense, 9 in defense and 0 in utility.
As far as skill sequence is concerned I reccomend maxing out Rocket Grab, because of the 300 damage burst! You will only need to Power Fist once, so I prefer the burst damage of the higher rank in (Q).
Now, as you can see this build has no Gold per 10 runes or masteries, so you must buy a Relic Shield first and then rush a Sheen. At this stage you can follow either the support build, or the AD build. Since you won't be taking any CS as a loyal support, it is extremely difficult to gather money if you can't land a Rocket Grab and convert it into a kill. Don't use this way of playing Blitzcrank if you are new to this champion. It relies in the successful cooperation of Blitzcrank and his allied bot laner. I recommend Flash and Ignite or Exhaust if your AD carry has allready picked Ignite. You will also need an AD Carry with a decent burst capability or some kind of helpful mobility. Such is Graves, Corki, Ezreal, Miss Fortune(high early game damage), Varus and Tristana(maybe a good Vayne too). But they must be aware that they are part of a kill-lane and they must be ready, so that, when you Rocket Grab, they nuke and burst and blood all over the place...
][_, () ][_,
Bonus chapter: Jungle
Although Blitzcrank is not the best of junglers, he can perform at that role, because the jungle has been made so easy. In the new jungle, successful ganking is vital and Blitz has one or two tricks to pull off a good gank.
For Jungle I use 6 greater mark of armor penetration, 3 Greater Mark of Attack Speed and 3 Greater Quintessence of Attack Speed to speed things up, cause Blitz-jungling is a bit slow. Rest is flat armor and magic resist which help me be tanky enough for jungling and bolder in early game ganks.
For masteries I would use 9-21-0, taking the attack speed and armor pen from the offense tree and then all the defensive masteries including Bladed Armor to help mitigate some jungle damage.
My starting items would be Hunter's Machete and 2 Health Potions and for my first skill point I would level Power Fist. ganking or even at 2 if the circumstances favor it. The standart jungle route starting from frog is recommended.
Build Jungle Blitzcrank as a support - tank.
So I would recommend:
I don't claim that everybody can be successful with Blitzcrank jungling, but if you try a bit, you can pull some pretty sick stuff with the Big Golem. If you find yourself being constantly counter-jungled and losing xp, focus more on ganking (stealing some xp from lanes in the process) and ward vital spots of your jungle, so as to catch and maybe kill the invader.
Always ask your team's help if you are getting invaded and counter-jungled by a stronger Jungler. Warding dragon and baron should be a priority for you and be sure to save Smite when their time comes.
Closing, always remember, AFK jungling is not in your favor, because ganking is where Blitz excels, not jungle farming. If you are new to jungle or just need more information about jungling, please visit a more detail general jungle guide. It will help you a lot to understand what is what.
Generally if you are not mad about playing Blitzcrank like me, then you won't be needing a jungling guide about him. But that doesn't mean you should not try it, cause LoL is about having fun after all!
- Use your Static Field after you have executed a successful Rocket Grab and Power Fist and don't just save it for the end to take the kill. Generally avoid "kill-stealing", it's bad for team spirit.
- If you know a certain enemy champion doesn't have a summoner spell ready like Flash, don't hesitate to Flash in for a Power Fist. Flash can be used offensively, especially if you know you can secure a kill.(easy with Blitz + allies)
- If you are jungling, always remember to put more pressure to a lane where your allies are losing or doing bad. Even if it's wardedsight ward and the opponents can see you, you do good by showing your presence at your allies side, holding back their advance and make them lose some cs.
- If a Stealth Ward stops you from ganking a certain lane continuously, try to find a different route to that lane. For example, use the side brass when your team has pushed a bit on top or bot. If you feel safe enough, go through the enemy jungle, above baron or dragon, to get to a lane unseen from river wards.
All these apply not only to Jungling Blitzcrank, but to all roles, because Blitzcrank is generally good at ganking. Even if you Support, you can pretend you go ward the river and make a quick gank mid. Same applies for top as AD or AP.
And now a second video composed from more games and featuring Support, AD and AP Rocket Grab highlights! Also an old video from past season glories...
- Changed Guide's Layout to a bit more pleasing!
- Added separate Jungle section.
- Included Manamune to Jungle build to solve early game mana issues.
- Included Runic Affinity to Jungle masteries.
- Added a bad quality video. (for the moment)
- Added a second video of Good quality.
- Replaced the bad quality video with a new HD one!
- Changed Support build, because of the recent patch.
- Changed the AD build a bit for the same reason.(runes and masteries not affected)
- Changed Jungle build, masteries and item sequence.
- Change support item sequence buying zeke's herald faster.
- Slightly changed AD build, making it a bit more DPS-oriented.
- Changed AD build a bit, adding Manamune as a core item and health regen quintessences for a more viable solo top laning phase.
- Changed jungle runes for faster clear times.(AS marks)
- Changed Support build to a more offensive playstyle.
- Changed AP runes and masteries a bit.
- Replaced Archangel's Staff with Rod of Ages in AP build.
- Changed AD masteries a bit.
- Added a special support section for advanced players and more offensive playstyle.
- Changed support build a bit.
- Updated all 4 builds using the new item arsenal!
- Modified masteries, runes and skill sequence.
- Summoner spells and gameplay tips are still unaffected.
- Removed Jungle build, but included a quick build in a bonus jungle section.
- Updated item explanation sections
9-2-2015: Playing again!
- Updated for season 5!
Don't forget that, even if you aren't having a good game, a well-aimed Rocket Grab can turn the tide of the battle and even mean game for your team.
I want to thank jhoijhoi for her epic guide that really helped me improve!
I will continue adding stuff screenshots, tips and maybe another video if I find time.
Let me know what else you would like to see in this build, what feels wrong or what I missed.
Don't forget to leave a comment if you vote, I really appreciate feedback!
Have fun and thanks for reading!