13.23 Every Web A Masterpiece
Your votes and comments encourage our guide authors to continue
creating helpful guides for the League of Legends community.
Runes: Dark Harvest
+10% Attack Speed
+9 Adaptive (5.4 AD or 9 AP)
+10% Attack Speed
+9 Adaptive (5.4 AD or 9 AP)
+10% Attack Speed
+9 Adaptive (5.4 AD or 9 AP)
Ability Order Standard
Spider Queen (PASSIVE)
Elise Passive Ability
Threats & Synergies
Nunu & Willump
Hello, my name is Demonsedge, and I'm a big fan of League of Legends. I can't overstate how much I love this game.
When I first discovered the jungle role, Elise was my go-to champion, and I've been playing her ever since. I've gained much experience with her, and I'm happy to share my insights on how she plays and feels.
As you read through this guide, I'll go into more detail about Elise's team setup and itemization options. I hope you find this guide helpful and that my suggestions and recommendations for playing Elise will improve your game.
So, without further ado, let's dive into my guide on Elise - The Spider Queen.
Elise - The Spider Queen
Why choose Elise?:
- A skill-expressive jungle champion with six unique abilities (between human/spider forms) that gives her different ways to be effective in combat, making her a fun pick for the jungle .
- She can provide much solid damage, making her feel impactful when jungling, ambushing the enemy and getting objectives such as turrets / dragons & baron nashor .
- She has great potential to make plays, carry her team and be a good team fight asset.
I always enjoy playing League matches with her on the Rift, and I hope you will also.
With Spider Queen, Elise while in Human Form, gain spiderlings after attacking enemies or jungle camps with your abilities, which spawn when swapping back to your Spider Form (the maximum number of spiders spawned is equal to the rank of her ultimate ). After transforming into your Spider Form, the stored spiders will travel with you in combat and attack all enemies and camps you are near.
Elise's basic attacks while in Spider Form deal bonus magic damage on-hit and heals her during combat.
| Target Range: 575 | Cooldown: 6 | Cast Time - 0.25 | Cost: 80 / 85 / 90 / 95 / 100 Mana |
Elise fires a toxin at a target enemy dealing magic damage equal to a % of their current maximum health.
For the best damage application against your target, use Neurotoxin at the start of a fight. If you choose not to use it at the beginning of champion combat, don't worry, it works nicely as a mid-combo ability before swapping to Spider Form.
| Target Range: 475 | Cooldown: 6 | Cast Time - 0.25 |
Elise pounces at the target enemy with her fangs and bites them, dealing a % of the target's missing health) as magic damage, while also applying on-hit effects at 100% effectiveness.
Using Venomous Bite as your combo ender is effective when finishing off an isolated or low-health enemy.
If there are active spiderlings or Volatile Spiderlings nearby, they will dash alongside Elise toward Venomous Bites target and reprioritize them.
The maximum damage against monsters for both Neurotoxin and Venomous Bite will not go higher than the listed values per rank: 75 / 100 / 125 / 150 / 175 magic damage.
| Effective Radius: 275 | Collision Radius: 150 | Target Range: 950 | Cast Time: 0.125 | Cooldown: 12 | Cost: 60 / 70 / 80 / 90 / 100 Mana |
Elise summons an untargetable venom-gorged spider that deals magic damage to nearby enemies within its target location.
If the spider does not hit an enemy before reaching the target location, it prioritizes champions and gains bonus movement speed based on its proximity to the target.
Using Volatile Spiderling is effective when looking to face-check bushes without vision, avoiding imminent danger.
| Cast Time: - | Cooldown: 10 |
Elise & her spiderlings will passively gain bonus attack speed, and when activated, gain additional attack speed while in combat for 3 seconds.
Note the bonus attack speed gained from Skittering Frenzy's active effect will disappear the moment you transform into Human Form during fights.
Skittering Frenzy is helpful when looking to reset Elise's auto attack timer in combat and is a good option for a combo ender.
| Speed: 1,600 | Width: 110 | Target Range: 1,100 | Cast Time: 0.25 | Cost: 50 Mana | Cooldown: 12 / 11.5 / 11 / 10.5 / 10 |
Elise fires a web in the target direction, stunning the first enemy hit, revealing them afterwards.
Use this ability as your primary engagement tool to dive lanes and go after targets who run away or whom you wish to lockdown for your team.
| Effect Radius: 700 | Cast Time: - | Cooldown: 22 / 21 / 20 / 19 / 18 |
Elise and her spiderlings lift into the air, vanishing and becoming untargetable for up to 2 seconds. During this instance, she gains sight of the area for the duration.
Upon recast (If cast directly on an enemy), Elise and her spiderlings appear behind the target after 1 second. Upon landing this way, Spider Queen's bonuses increase for 5 seconds. If no target is selected, you'll return to her current location.
Rappel's recast can be activated while affected by cast-inhibiting crowd control.
| Cast Time: - | Cooldown: 4 |
A toggled ability that lets you swap between Elise's Human Form & Spider Form.
In Spider Form, Elise gains bonus movement speed, melee auto attacks, and access to her arachnid abilities.
In Human Form: Elise has ranged basic attacks and access to her human abilities.
Elise begins with one rank in Spider Form / Human Form at level 1 and can increase it at levels 6, 11, and 16.
In this section, I will share some of the effective combos for Elise that are simple to understand and that you can apply while playing summoners rift (draft and ranked) games.
Playing As Elise:
- Spider Form is most effective at finishing off enemies with low health, while Human Form's Neurotoxin does more damage to targets who have lots of health.
- When in Spider Form, spiderlings will prioritize the target that Elise uses Venomous Bite on
- Elise's Spider Form abilities do not cost mana and thus can be prioritized when you are trying to conserve mana.
Playing Against Elise:
- Avoid being at low health when near Elise if you notice her in Spider Form.
- Rappel will only move Elise straight up and down unless she can descend upon an enemy unit.
- Rappel has a long cooldown. Elise is vulnerable after she has used it.
This section will only apply to some jungle champions since they each have different routes that suit their play styles.
So for this guide, I will outline the pathing routes that apply to Elise in hopes of understanding how to make the best impact on the rift.
Each of the camps listed above is vital for Elise when looking to gain levels, earn gold and maintain resources (health & mana), all of which help you stay relevant in each game as the jungle .
Always look to secure epic monster spawns as Elise since each buff provided will benefit you and your team in fights and skirmishes.
The Baron Nashor will be available to target after the 20:00 mark, and the Elder Dragon will spawn once you or the enemy jungle has acquired the listed dragon soul. Always fight for these objectives when you can.
||> > >|
||> > >|
With this standard clear path for Elise, you should aim to hit the rift scuttler at 3:30 since grabbing early scuttle vision can inform your teammates about who is in the river and be aware of any upcoming ambushes. This clear is also very effective at getting a level 3 dive against an overextended enemy.
||> > > > > >|
||> > > > > >|
With the full clear path as Elise, you have the option to grab the rift scuttler at 3:30 or maximize your experience gain by clearing the remainder of your camps instead, then swing by the rift scuttler afterwards.
Elise is a ganking jungler compared to being a farm jungler, so in most games, we only contemplate doing a full clear if you can't attack a lane after farming your camps.
Securing the early scuttle vision is optional with this clear route since time spent taking the rift scuttler is time wasted on taking all your remaining camps.
If you can acquire at least one rift scuttler after your full clear, that's a bonus for your team on either end of the map.
Flash: The most integral summoner spell for Elise that you pick 100% of the time for your games. It's important because if you get caught or stuck in a rough situation, you can escape fights safely while dodging a crucial ability.
Smite: Necessary for best success in the jungle . Smite is a unit-targeted summoner spell, dealing true damage damage to the following targets: medium/large monsters , lane minions , dragons , rift herald , baron nashor , rift scuttlers or pets.
Multiple upgrade options are available to choose from: Gustwalker Smite, Mosstomper Smite, Scorchclaw Smite.
Always be sure to have a Smite charge ready for any upcoming neutral objective ( dragons , rift herald & baron nashor ), as it will be much easier to acquire them successfully.
- When looking to remove enemy vision from the map, always consider buying Control Wards. This ward reveals and disables enemy vision within a 900-unit radius. Control Wards function similarly to the Oracle Lens trinket revealing stealth & camouflaged based champions ( Twitch, Rengar, Evelynn and Kha'Zix) that approach them.
- Grab Oracle Lens as your main trinket in the jungle after placing your first Stealth Ward on the map. Oracle Lens grants you access to vision denial and is excellent when dealing with stealth champions who plant traps such as Teemo, Shaco, & Nidalee. Additionally, it's viable against champions who use stealth abilities as means to engage/disengage, such as Twitch, Pyke, Wukong or Shaco.
- Stealth Ward is your base trinket in all games as Elise, revealing units within a target location. You get two charges that refresh every 240-120 seconds (based on champion level). The max allowable Stealth Wards to place is three. Great when side laning/placing deep vision in enemy territory or on objectives such as baron nashor & dragons .
Since you're mostly roaming jungle and ganking lanes, Oracle Lens will serve you better. It will help when looking to ambush the enemy or secure important objectives, making sure they are vision free and also helps when looking to take the enemy jungle camps while in the fog of war.
Great for Elise when roaming between jungle camps and lanes or when dealing with slow effects like Ashe's Frost Shot/ Volley/ Serylda's Grudge/ Rylai's Crystal Scepter, self slows, or movement slow based effects that would leave you vulnerable when trying to escape.
Mercury's Treads help to reduce the effects of crowd control from enemy champions while also offering a small amount of magic resist. Standard choice into teams that are magic damage heavy.
While it may not be as enticing to build Plated Steelcaps & Mercury's Treads on Elise when compared to her usual selections of Sorcerer's Shoes & Boots of Swiftness, you should still consider them if their situational need arises.
Each jungle pet mentioned below grants early health regeneration while farming our camps and provides the following upgrades when fully evolved:
As your pet grows (gaining treats from killing jungle monsters ), it will increase the damage value of your Smite charges.
The best way to know which jungle pet is more efficient depends on how you plan to build for each game, helping you have better outcomes in fights and skirmishes.
After examining each mythic item above, you need to decide which offers the best impact in-game, compared to which mythic best suits Elise in most of her matchups.
The following keystone & rune choices are great for Elise and will complement her in combat. Always pay attention to the enemy team comp, plus your item builds when selecting your runes to get the most value in each game.
- Electrocute triggers after hitting enemies three times with a combination of autos or abilities as Elise within 3 seconds. A very efficient option when routinely swapping stances with her in combat.
- Dark Harvest provides a soul stack after damaging a target under 50% health (45-second cooldown). Since this keystone stacking is indefinite, the potential to one-shot opponents becomes immense as you reach the late game—an excellent option on Elise when factoring in her high burst play style.
- Press the Attack triggers upon hitting enemies three times with a combination of autos or Elise's Venomous Bite ability (applies on-hit effects), increasing their damage taken for the next 6 seconds. This keystone, in synergy with Nashor's Tooth and Lich Bane, can lead to massive damage in prolonged fights with the enemy.
- With Cheap Shot deal true damage (based on level) upon damaging a target affected by crowd control (cooldown 4 seconds). Great rune option with champions such as Leona, Morgana, Lux & Nautilus and can also be applied with our Cocoon ability.
- As Elise, we can trigger Sudden Impacts effect after using her Venomous Bite and Rappel. Once procured from either of these skills, gain additional magic penetration for a short time.
- When looking for more potency in fights, consider Eyeball Collection, increasing our combat efficiency while giving us a little more burst with each auto or ability. It's an excellent rune choice for any matchup when you run the Domination tree.
- Great mobility rune option as Elise. Relentless Hunter is an excellent choice for getting to jungle camps, traversing the lanes, and the river while being effective when looking to engage/chase down the enemy or escape combat.
- Magical Footwear allows Elise to delay building boots so you can focus on getting your mythic and core items sooner. Once added, gain extra movement speed in your current pair of boots purchased.
- Future's Market is reliable for ramping into your mythic/core items, thus offering better duelling potential. Very helpful in matchups where you want item advantages against your opponent to snowball your lead easier.
- Cosmic Insight provides more access to summoner spells ( Flash, Heal), Smite and item/ward trinket haste. This rune is great when paired with items like Lich Bane or other Sheen-related items. Also very helpful for increasing your vision score.
- Triumph restores a % of your missing max health and provides additional gold per takedown. A great rune option for getting your items quicker and excellent for Elise when looking to recover health after combat.
- Legend: Alacrity helps Elise attack faster, making clearing the jungle a breeze. In addition, the attack gained pairs nicely with Skittering Frenzy, granting more healing from her Spider Queen passive, allowing for more pressure in the jungle .
- The life steal from Legend: Bloodline is low early on but builds up nicely into the late game. A very efficient rune option for Elise to gain some healing in combat. Very efficient when used in the jungle , allowing you to heal from the jungle monsters before the next team fight or skirmish.
- Legend: Tenacity helps to withstand crowd control effects thrown at Elise via champion abilities ( Morgana, Lux, Rammus) & monster ( Baron Nashor , Dragons ) based crowd control effects, reducing their effectiveness. A very efficient rune option for Elise.
- Coup de Grace for Elise offers more damage to champions under 40% health. Strong rune option with Elise for added synergy with Venomous Bite & and her overall high burst play style.
- Cut Down is good against tanks /bruisers, also very efficient against targets with more health than Elise. An excellent rune option when you need more burst damage against champions with Neurotoxin when you begin a fight.
- Nimbus Cloak is another strong rune option for Elise. It grants a nice burst of % movement speed and unit ghosting upon activating your current summoner spells. Another rune option for Elise that synergizes well with Celerity & great when you need a quick getaway or a little boost to your engagement strategy.
Note the % movement speed gained is based on the cooldown of the summoner spell used.
- Transcendence provides Elise more ability haste during fights, thus increasing your damage per second to enemies and objectives. Excellent for more uptime on signature abilities and lets you cast your ultimate much sooner.
- When you need more mobility, take Celerity. Helps to increase base & bonus movement speed effects for Elise, making her jungle clears more efficient by getting to camps faster, thus being able to ambush the enemy sooner. It improves the effectiveness of Relentless Hunter on Elise for better out-of-combat roaming toward enemies or objectives.
- Waterwalking benefits Elise while in the river, gaining bonus movement speed & additional damage based your adaptive type. Great for quickly moving across the river sections of the map & helpful during river skirmishes or objective securing.
- Gathering Storm is fantastic for Elise when looking to apply more burst damage to opponents throughout the game. Every 10 minutes, you'll gain auto and ability damage against targets, which scales indefinitely, making you a serious threat to the enemy.
When deciding on what rune shards (whether offensive or defensive) to pick for Elise in each of your games, you have to factor in a few things in champion select:
- Do I need attack speed on my champion? (Autos on Elise are very helpful in spider form after triggering Skittering Frenzy; therefore, I suggest this in all games, no matter the build.)
- Do I need additional ability power? (We always take at least one adaptive damage shard with Elise.
- Do I require any ability haste? (We tend to avoid this option as Elise since it only provides a little benefit compared to other rune shards).
- Do I require more armor? The most common choice when playing jungle .
- Do I require magic resistance? Take this shard when the enemy deals magic damage or into magic-heavy teams.
- Do I require more health? Even though she does not scale with health, a good option for Elise can still be helpful in games with mixed damage team comps.
Always pay attention to the team compositions you are fighting when mixing and matching the rune shards listed above with your Boots & items. It's a sure way to improve your overall survivability in games.
Building Elise may initially seem overwhelming, but this guide aims to simplify the process by outlining the best abilities, items, and runes to use in combination with her kit.
I hope you found this guide informative and helpful. Please share it with other gamers seeking tips and tricks for playing Elise.
If you have further questions or thoughts, please contact me in the discussion section. I'll be happy to chat with you and provide answers to the best of my ability.