This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page
Shen - Throw 'em on the ground! All around Ninja guide!
Your votes and comments encourage our guide authors to continue
creating helpful guides for the League of Legends community.
Choose Champion Build:
-Jungle build coming soon once I find a set up that works well.
1/27/2012 - Organized my guide further making it easier on the eyes and less sporadic searching due to a helpfull comment.
2/16/2012 - Updated the guide to Shens recent buff. Added the new affects to each of his abilities. also considering replacing the guardian angel with warmogs. Also considering adding an AP Shen build.
2/24/2012 - Moved some items around, making warmogs purchase early for early vorpal blade damage bonus, and to get stacks, removed guardian angel from main build.
4/22/2012 - Works kept me busy but i've found a jungle build that seems to work well with me for Shen so I added it, also updated my masteries findind 0/22/8 to be more beneficial. Overall added a Solo top guide, and a Jungle guide. If you use this guide don't forget to Vote up and thanks for the support.
7/30/2012 - Lost my job so HELLO free time, for now. Changed the support build around a little bit replacing Sunfire cape with Thornmail as amazing as of a beast thornmail turns you into it's really not always needed. Also replaced the Rylais with Frozen mallet, after trying it a few games I noticed that my shield and ult was absorbing slightly less damage but the mallet was allowing me to stick to them with ease. Stay tuned for futrue updates =D
10/11/2012 - Changed some stuff up, cleaned it a little, planning on redoing the guide very shortly. Added my experimental Ap mid Shen build, still working on it.
Greater Seal of LucidityGreater Seal of Lucidity are used for extra energy regen, Faster your energy recovers the more you can spam your attacks. Extremely important on Shen. Shadow Dash is pretty expensive if you don't hit a champion, so missing this taunt can almost cripple your escape, and ability to taunt again. More energy, more options.
Greater Glyph of Celerity gives you a great increased cool down redution as you level. The faster your abilities are off cool down the more you will be able to use them, more importantly your Ultimate has quite a large cool down so anything helps.
Greater Quint of Potency are great for Shen, giving letting your ultimate Stand United and your Feint ability shield more damage. Also gives your Vorpal Blade a little more damage early game.
- [Q] Your main harassment tool. this is the only ability you have that does damage, but it's a damn good one. Decent range, low cool down, nice dmg, and it allows your carries to heal a little bit when they target the champion or creep you hit it with. Know those pesky tank creeps? hit them with this and let your carry heal a bit off of them when champions are out of range. After buff the flat damage has increased, lowering it's boost from ability power slightly, also gave it a flat 60 energy per cast which is nice. If it grants the killing blow with it you heal the 33% of the health instantly, and also abilities now trigger the affect, not just regular attacks.
- [W] Your shield allowing you to take a little extra damage. I know this skill isn't the best but it's also not bad in the laning phase. It takes a lot of the hurt off those turrets. While active your passives cooldown is decreased by 3 seconds instead of the normal 1.5 on hit. Much like the vorpal blade, it's base amount is increased but it scales slightly less off of ability power, and it was also given a flat 40 energy amount.
- [E] This is your taunt/escape/chase tool. allows you to taunt multiple champions or creeps. lets you dash through obstacles much like flash. And it's a great chase but it is quite the energy burner if you don't hit a champion with it. Little tactic, when your minions are pushing their turret this skill will allow you to harass a little more by tossing a vorpal blade at them, then dashing out of range of the turret, if that's not possible your Feint will absorb most of the damage. Since his buff your dash now deals a decent amount of magic damage, allowing you to be more of a threat. It also got a decent cool down reduction, sadly it got a flat amount of energy cost like the rest of his abilities at 120, instead of being at 100 at level 5, which has it's ups and downs. You also receive 40 energy per champion taunt which makes it nice as hell, taunting groups will now more or less fill your energy up as long as you hit 3 of them. Also, all damage from taunted champions deal 50% less damage to you.
- [R] Can't say enough good things about this Ultimate. Allows you to shield an ally and teleport to their location. absorbs a massive ammount of damage keeping your carry alive to do what they do best, KILL! also nice to gank between lanes if needed but try not to waste this ult as it can be critical in changing the tide of a team fight gone bad. After the Shen buff, I consider this to be a nerf to his ult which is kinda upsetting. It now takes 3 seconds to channel instead of 2.5 seconds, the duration of the shield went to 5 seconds from 7.5 seconds, but out of all of that, the flat amount of the shield has increased slightly almost making up for the nerfs it received.
-Great harassment with Vorpal Blade.
-Great area taunt from Shadow Dash.
-Fantastic ult and teleport with your Stand United.
-Has energy instead of mana.
-He's a Ninja.
-Low damage output (he's a tank cmon now.)
-Quite slow until you get your or
-Teleport from can fail if the person you target dies before you get there.
is a great way to shut down those champions with their over powered ults. Hit them with your taunt and their ult is wasted.
- Katarina and her Death lotus.
- Malzahar and his Nether grasp.
- Nunu and his Absolute zero.
- Caitlyn and her Ace in the Hole.
Stand United is a great ganking tool, allowing you to jump from one side of the map to the other. As if that's not good enough, you can use your ult to teleport to a stealthed team mate like twitch for a great gank. Also, this will not take your team mate out of stealth.
Exhaust is a spell you will rarely see on a tank, why you ask? Exaust lets you slow down the enemy allowing early kills for your carry in the laning phase, paired with your taunt there is no such thing as escape. Mid and late game it can save your carry or yourself. Team fights, exaust will pretty much shut down a carrys damage for a little bit, allowing your team to focus easily. and to add, with the mastery "summoners wrath" it also lowers their def and resist for a short time which only helps more in locking in that kill for your carry. If you choose not to take exhaust I suggest you choose one of the optional summoner spells and move the one point in "summoners wrath" and add it to the swiftness skill in your utility tree.
Heal is a nice choice on any tank or support champ. Heal can easily change the tide of a team fight giving your team mates and yourself more health. This could keep your carry in the fight longer, or even save your team mates from a powerfull attack like Requiem.
Promote is a decent support spell healing one of your tank minions and giving him more attack damage. You also get the gold for any enemy creeps this minion kills. Great for pushing towers, but it loses it's effectiveness late game.
Ghost is a great spell allowing you to ignore unit collision, granting a movement speed bonus, and making it easier to chase and or run away.
Smite is great if you're jungling, if not you do not need it.
Revive, in my opinion is a pretty useless spell. Sure it brings you back to life but why do you want a spell that's only usefull when you're dead?
Clarity is a good spell, but you don't have mana so it's semi-useless. Sure it can be used to give your lane partner some extra mana but I think you're better off with something else.
Fortify shields your turrets for a short time, and makes them shoot faster. It has it's uses but I find other spells far more usefull.
Garrison allows you to buff your own turret, or debuff an enemy turret. Really not that great of a spell.
Rally increases the attack damage within the range of the aura of your team mates by a little bit. I have never seen anyone actually use this.
Surge is one amazing spell on Jax, not so much on Shen. You don't need the extra attack speed it gives you as you're a tank. And the ap bonus is pretty insignificant on a tank.
Cleanse is a Solid spell that gets rid of Debuffs, but Mercury's treads work well enough on a tank. This isn't a bad spell for a carry, but on a tank it's not really needed.
or Mercury's will be your next purchase allowing you extra movement speed to land your taunt. Only get Tabi's if the other team is lacking any realy hard CC.
is an amazing item granting you a nice amount of health, and more gold over time which is always nice since your main income will be coming from assists, and it's also used in your Randuin's omen later on.
Thornmail Can be your next purchase giving you extra Defence and a passive allowing you to return 30% of the damage you receive. If you're taking more damage in the lane from an ap carry you should instead build a Force of Nature.
Force of nature is a great item. Being the best item for magic resist in the game, movement speed bonus, and a decent amount of health regen. This should only be built before thornmail if you're taking heavy ap damage in the lane. If not build your thornmail.
Time to build your rylai's crystal scepter giving you more health, ability power, and a nice passive to boot allowing you to slow champions you hit with your abilities.
Warden's mail can be purchased next as it's needed for your Randuin's omen later on. This is an all around decent item, giving you some extra defence, health regen, and a 20% chance of slowing a champions movement speed and attack speed by 35% if they attack you. If you think you need more magic resist at this point I suggest building an Abyssal Scepter.
Randuin's omen Should be built as soon as possible, giving you the bonuses from the wardens mail, a nice cooldown reduction which is extremely important on Shen, and a nice active allowing you to slow the movement speed and attack speed of surrounding enemy champions by 35% for 2 seconds plus 0.5 seconds per 100 defence and magic resistance you have.
Guardian angel will be your final item you build. Granting you extra defence, magic resist, and a passive that brings you back to life with 750 health. The passives cooldown is 5 minutes. If this item isn't for you, or if you think you may need something else I suggest one of the listed optional items.
After Shen's buff, Warmog's armor now benefits Shen a moderate amount so I would consider building this instead of Guardian Angel if you're doing well. With this item your passives damage will increase by about 130 or so, it will also increase your heal from Vorpal blade by about 20. Paired with your passive this item can make your melee damage a decent threat, also the extra health and health regen is always nice.
Aegis of the Legion is a nice item early and mid game. It gives you a solid amount of defence, resistance, health, and a little damage. With its aura it gives your team mates some defence, resist, and a little damage. I only get this item when team fights are starting quite early as it's affects are not so great end game.
Atma's Impaler should only be built if you've built Warmog's armor, the results from your Atma's passive is insignificant without the bonus health from the Warmog's armor.
Abyssal Scepter is always a nice choice on Shen. More ap making your Feint, and Stand United shield more damage. More magic Resist, and lowers enemys magic resist. When I do choose to add this to my build I normally replace Guardian Angel.