This build has been archived by the author. They are no longer supporting nor updating this build and it may have become outdated. As such, voting and commenting have been disabled and it no longer appears in regular search results.
We recommend you take a look at this author's other builds.
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page
Dr. Mundo Build Guide by Dimitrexx
Come to MUNDO! - A Jungle Mundo guide.(Now with solo-top!)
Your votes and comments encourage our guide authors to continue
creating helpful guides for the League of Legends community.
Choose Champion Build:
MAGIC PEN FTW
Offtank vs ap
Offtank vs ad
In this guide,I will show you how I play as Dr.Mundo in the jungle.I may,in the future,create some builds for Solo Top and support,that is,if the guide gets appreciated.So please,read through the full guide and enjoy :D.I hope you learn to play Mundo LIKE A BOSS!
For those who would like to add me in the brazilian server,my name is ZeroAbsoluto.I'm not a pro player btw.
- 1.Tank jungler:This is the main build for this guide,focused on soaking lots of damage and protecting your team.
- 2.Fighter jungler:This is the "Original" Dr. Mundo,a tanky dps build focused on dealing lots of damage with Blunt Force Trauma while tanking at the same time.
- 3.Mpen jungler:This is a "for fun" build which is focused on dealing tons of damage with Heart Zapper and Infected Bonesaw while sustaining yourself in fights.NOT RECOMMENDED FOR SERIOUS GAMES.
- 4.Solo Top:This build is for solo-top Dr. Mundo,which is the only lane he is viable.This build is focused on being a tank.
- 5.Top vs AP:This is an offtank build used against AP top champions.
- 6.Top vs AD:Variation of the above build.Use it against AD top champions.
- 7.3v3:This is the build you should use for playing in the twisted treeline,as always you will be very tanky.
- 8.Howling Abyss:Yeah,a build for the new map.Kinda fun to play it,however the build is somewhat different from the normal tanky ones because of the Warmog's Armor lack and the need of poking.
- Extremely tanky.
- High damage output.
- Amazing clearing speed.
- Amazing health regen with Maximum Dosage.
- Has the strongest AD steroid in the game.
- Innate CC reduction with Heart Zapper
- Great fighting potential.
So,as you can see,Mundo has some average stats for a FIGHTER(that's what he is,he is not a "TRUE" tank,it's just that people build him tanky because his damage is very powerful just with his abilities).
It is said that the man now known as Dr. Mundo was born in the city of Zaun without any sort of conscience. Instead, he had an unquenchable desire to inflict pain through experimentation. By the time he was five, most of the pets in the Zaun neighborhood where Mundo grew up had gone missing. By his teenage years, his parents were nowhere to be found. By the time he had legally acquired his license to practice medicine, he had been acquitted of thirty-eight separate charges of murder by the Zaun authorities; the lack of evidence made prosecution impossible.
Dr. Mundo has become equal parts serial killer and mad scientist, though no one is entirely sure how his butchery qualifies as science. However, he has made tremendous strides in mapping the pain response in the human brain and body, going so far as being able to suppress it, even in the most excruciating of circumstances. He has also tapped into the primal parts of the brain through chemistry, learning how to enhance aggression and adrenaline, as well as dulling conscience and the survival instinct. In short, Dr. Mundo's life's work has been how to create the perfect science-enhanced killer. Unfortunately, the city-state of Noxus regards such behavior as a sign of initiative and ambition, rather than inhumanity. Originally fighting for Zaun, Dr. Mundo was recruited to also fight for Noxus in the League of Legends; the Madman dual faction status represents the fruits of a blossoming relationship between Zaun and Noxus. He continues his experiments to this day, even using himself as an experimental subject, as evidenced by his disfigured appearance and his... unique manner of speaking. There are rumors that the High Command in Noxus has given him free reign to pursue his life's work in his spare time.
"Beware the Madman of Zaun. In his eyes, you are already dead."
INFORMATION TAKEN FROM LEAGUE OF LEGENDS WIKI.If you want to learn more about Mundo,see his page on LolWiki:Dr.Mundo-LolWiki
A 3v3 champion?:I don't play 3v3 really much,but in its actual meta,the best champions for it are fighers.And Dr. Mundo is one of them.However,his tanking capabilites put him ahead of other fighters,so he is actually a great champion for the Twisted Treeline .
A dominion champion?:I don't play dominion because i don't like it,however champions with high mobility excel on the Crystal Scar,and Dr. Mundo with Maximum Dosage fits in this category.
An ARAM champion?:Of course,because he has excellent poke with his cleavers and amazing sustain with Goes Where He Pleases and Maximum Dosage,and he can easily tank the enemy team.
Smite is necessary for any jungler(yes,even Shaco and Warwick.It's needed to secure a buff,dragon,baron,and it also improves your clearing speed.Additionaly,if you don't use this while jungling as Dr. Mundo,you may end up dying to neutral monsters.
Exhaust is a very powerful tool for junglers with innate escape mechanism,which is the case of Dr. Mundo.With this,your ganks are much more powerful,due to the slow and the armor and magic resist debuff(as we improve it with Summoner's Wrath ).With Exhaust,you can also slow a chasing enemy champion or save your teammates,and even shut down an enemy carry in a teamfight.
Ghost is a viable spell if you don't feel safe with just your Maximum Dosage,and if you want a powerful escape mechanism.IMO,it's a very powerful choice,but i prefer to take exhaust to improve Mundo's ganks.This is a must for solo top.
Flash is probably the most used summoner spell in the game.It's just too powerful on most champions,but it's not the case with mundo.I like to take Flash with a champion with a powerful burst( Annie, Veigar) to surpirse an enemy,with a very squishy champion(any AD carry and most mid-laners),and with champions without true escape mechanisms( Taric, Warwick).Guess what?Mundo isn't in any of the categories listed above.If you want an escape mechanism,go with Ghost.Believe me,it works 10 times better for Dr. Mundo than Flash.
Only take Ignite if you want more kill potential.However,i like to give the kills to my teammates whenever possible,unless i'm playing offtank Dr. Mundo.I don't recommend taking it though.Good spell for solo-top btw,helping you rack some kills.
Seriously,why would you take Teleport as a jungler?Just no.Good for solo top if you leave your lane a lot and need to go back in a crucial moment.
This spell is basically unusable in season 3 with the introduction of Sightstone,which grants your team much more map control.Additionaly,if taken,it should be taken by a support.
This is not needed for mundo,you have Maximum Dosage on a much lower cooldown.Only take this if you're jungling with a low level account.
Well,this is something we need to discuss.Mundo is countered HARD by Ignite and other healing debuffs,and cleanse removes disables.So why we don't take it?Well, Cleanse DOES NOT remove the healing debuff from Ignite,only the DoT.So,don't take it.You can buy Quicksilver Sash.
Choose this summoner spell if you want to be reported.
This doesn't fit Dr. Mundo.IMO,it works much better in the Proving grounds.
- Greater Mark of Magic Penetration:These are the marks I use when playing full tank Dr. Mundo.This increases the damage of Heart Zapper and Infected Bonesaw,increasing our clear speed and ganking potential very well.
- Greater Mark of Attack Speed:These marks are very good also,and they help a lot in the jungle and in the teamfights,especially when combined with Blunt Force Trauma
- Greater Seal of Armor:I use these seals on both builds because it increases the tankyness against the neutral monsters,enemy junglers and some top laners or ad carrys.Mandatory seals for jungling.
- Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist:I use these glyphs so I can tank the mages with more efficiency on the late game,which is the part of the game where the mages are really powerful.
- Greater Glyph of Magic Resist:These glyphs are a very good choice also,if you like ganking a lot,this will help withstand some early magic damage.
- Greater Quintessence of Movement Speed:These quints will greatly improve your ganking.Also,with the removal of Force of Nature,these are essential for Dr. Mundo.
- Greater Quintessence of Spell Vamp:These quints are very good if you have problems sustaining yourself in the jungle as Dr. Mundo. Heart Zapper, Smite and even Infected Bonesaw will heal you now :D.
- Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage:Use these on the bruiser build in order to further increase your damage output and fighting potential.
- Summoner's Wrath :I take this mastery in order to improve exhaust so my ganks are better.
- Sorcery:I take this mastery because the 4% free cooldown reduction is pretty nice to have early on.
- Butcher :This mastery is pretty good to increase our damage to monsters,and consequently,our clearing speed.
- Summoner's Resolve :This mastery is essential for junglers.10 extra gold for each Smite may not seem like much,but due to Smite's low cooldown,you can easily gain a lot of bonus gold just from this mastery.This also replace your need for gold generation items.
- Durability :Very nice mastery,the extra health per level makes Dr. Mundo tankier by mid-late game,while also improving Goes Where He Pleases and Maximum Dosage.It also unlocks Veteran's Scars ,which grants us 30 bonus health.May not seem like much,but it really makes a diference.
- Tough Skin :Mandatory mastery for junglers.The damage reduction from monsters is just too good.It also unlocks Bladed Armor ,which,in turn,increases our clearing speed due to the damage reflection.It's like a mini Thornmail against monsters.
- Hardiness :Another great mastery.5 extra armor for free.This grants you more tankiness against the monsters,since they deal physical damage(except Baron Nashor and Dragon ).When combined with Cloth Armor,we have 23 EXTRA armor at the start.
- Resistance : 1 extra magic resist.Well,any defense is worth putting a point on.
- Relentless :Keep in mind that this does not reduce the duration of slows,but reduces their effectiveness.It's a very good mastery for Dr. Mundo
- Tenacious :OP.Combine this with Heart Zapper for insane CC reduction.If you even buy Mercury's Treads,you will basically negate any CC.
- Juggernaut :This is awesome for Dr. Mundo,since he buys a lot of health.Increasing it by a percentage makes you even tankier.Basically,it grants you 30 extra health for each 1000 health you have.In a 5k health build,you will gain 150 extra health from this mastery.
- Reinforced Armor :Great mastery introduced with season 3.This greatly reduces the damage done by these pesky ADCs who rush Infinity Edge,and crit damage overall.Be a total douchebag to that Tryndamere ;D.
- Honor Guard :The final defensive mastery couldn't be any better.3% damage reduction from ANY SOURCE(except true damage ofc).Basic attacks,spells,minions,monsters,pets,tower hits,anything except true damage.Great mastery for a tank overall.
So,our mastery tree is more focused on improving our tankines in all stages of the game,while also gaining some utility in the offensive tree(kinda ironic,isn't it?).The fighter and mpen builds are focused on dealing more damage either through Blunt Force Trauma(fighter) or
Heart Zapper and Infected Bonesaw(mpen).
This passive is awesome.It grants Dr. Mundo small sustain in the jungle,but late game,when combined with Warmog's Armor,you will regenerate an absurd amount of health in short time.
Tips and Tricks
- To make good use of this passive,buy a lot of health items.
- The regeneration from Goes Where He Pleases is reduced by Grievous Wounds.
- The regeneration from Goes Where He Pleases is improved by Spirit Visage.
Mundo throws an infected cleaver,slowing by 40% and dealing magic damage equal to a percentage of the target's current health.This has a minimum damage threshold,and a maximum damage cap against minions and monsters.If the cleaver hits an enemy,half of the health cost is refunded.This is Dr. Mundo's signature skill.If you manage to land it,you can keep the opponent permaslowed if you chain cleavers successfully.It also works wonders inside the jungle,as monsters possess a large amount of health,allowing you to clear camps very fast.
Tips and Tricks
- Try to lead your opponents with the cleaver.Never throw it at the current location of the enemy champions,but throw it where they are going.
- Avoid spamming cleavers early when clearing monster camps.It will drain through you health pool really fast.
- It's pretty effective to use smartcast with this skill.It greatly improves your chance of hitting the cleavers against running enemies,because you will consume less time.Using smartcast is only recommended for more experienced players.
- Use cleavers as much as possible when doing baron nashor or dragon ,since it will deal a lot of damage.
- Use cleavers to check bushes.
- Infected Bonesaw benefits more from magic penetration.
Burning agony is a toggle-type skill.When toggled on,Mundo deals magic damage each second to nearby opponents while consuming health.While it's activated,the duration of Crowd Control on Mundo is reduced by a percentage.This skill is very good.It's the main reason why Dr. Mundo clears the jungle so fast,with it's overwhelming DoT.The crowd control reduction it's very awesome also,30% tenacity at max level is something pretty unique.Due to it,you can get Ninja Tabi instead of Mercury's Treads without worries.
Tips and Tricks
- Never keep it activated when traveling between camps.It's health cost is just too large early on.
- Late game,your health regen will be so awesome that you can keep Heart Zapper activated all times.
- Dr. Mundo cannot kill himself with Heart Zapper.
- Keep this active while running.The crowd control reduction may save your life.
- When using this early in the jungle,make sure to have a Health Potion running.
- Heart Zapper benefits greatly from Spell vamp.Try using Greater Quintessence of Spell Vamp if you're having problems to sustain yourself in the jungle.
- Heart Zapper benefits most from spell vamp and magic penetration.
Mundo increases his Attack Damage for a few seconds.Additionaly,this bonus is increased for each percentage of health lost.This is the strongest AD steroid in the game.With Blunt Force Trauma,you will be able to hit like a truck without any damage item.
Tips and Tricks
- Always turn it on when jungling.It has a low health cost and cooldown.
- You should,basically,activate it whenever fighting so you can gain an upper edge.
- If you engage a fight against an enemy jungler and he has a health advantage,don't worry,because Blunt Force Trauma will turn the tables.
- Blunt Force Trauma benefits most from attack speed and critical chance.
Mundo consumes a percentage of his current health,and starts regenerating a huge percentage of his maximum life over 12 seconds.During this time,he also gains bonus movement speed.This is Dr. Mundo's ultimate,and,even though it's pretty simple,it's extremely powerful.First of all,it's regeneration is VERY large.Second,it's on an extremely low cooldown.Third,it also grants Dr. Mundo a movement speed buff,allowing you to chase or escape.
Tips and Tricks
- Use this for sustain in the jungle when you are at low health.Don't worry,it has a very low cooldown.
- Use this when chasing or escaping.You can also use it to initiate a gank due to the movespeed boost.
- Be careful, Ignite or any other source of Grievous Wounds will greatly counter this ultimate.To solve this problem,buy a Quicksilver Sash.
- Buying a Spirit Visage will greatly improve the regeneration,as well as reduce Maximum Dosage's cooldown.
- You can also turn it on when tanking baron nashor or dragon .
- Maximum Dosage benefits more from health.
- Maximum Dosage regeneration persists through pseudo death effects( Guardian Angel and Chronoshift
- A great tip is to not get cocky early on,since Maximum Dosage at rank 1 isn't really strong,especially if you get ignited.
So,to summarize Dr. Mundo's kit,it is specialized for long fights,dealing tons of damage while being able to tank a lot due to the massive regeneration provided by Maximum Dosage and the crowd control reduction from Heart Zapper.
> > > .
This is our priority order.Remember to take a point in each ability by level 3.
- Heart Zapper is maxed first in order to increase our clearing speed,as it's our only source of AOE damage early.
- Blunt Force Trauma is maxed last because our other skills are better.
- Infected Bonesaw is maxed second, even though the slow percentage is the same on all ranks (40%),it does % based damage,and as jungle monsters have a lot of health,it increases your damage to them.
- Maximum Dosage is taken whenever possible of course,since it's our ultimate,and a very powerful one.
- If you're using the fighter build,max Blunt Force Trauma first for the immense damage bonus.
- On the mpen build,max Infected Bonesaw second in order to deal more damage.
:I start with Cloth Armor and Health Potionx5,so I can be more tanky in the jungle.Of course,the potions will give me the much needed sustain.With this,i can use my route of stealing their red buff early without having any problems when doing the blue buff without smite.
:Alternative start if you plan on buying Spirit of the Ancient Golem.It increases your clear speed,but you will have to gank early if you plan on using this start.This is now my main start btw.
:This is a crazy,but viable start.You will get Health Potion x8 so you can have beast sustain.I recommend trying this one out.
:You need this early game because speed is essential for ganking,as well as escaping.
:This is a good item for Dr. Mundo,contrary to popular belief.It grants some extra damage against monsters and also improves sustain.Yes,it gives mana regen,but it builds into one of our most important items later.
:This is a very good item for early game,due to the health and CDR it offers.Will build into one of our core items later.
:I get these boots in 90% of my jungle games.The armor and the passive offered by it are very good.We don't need Mercury's Treads due to Tenacious and Heart Zapper.Great boots.
:This is core for Dr. Mundo in any build.The insane amount of health is just too good for him.Additionaly,it grants massive health regen due to it's passive.When combined with Goes Where He Pleases and Spirit Visage,you will regen absurd amounts of health in short time.
:Another great item for Dr. Mundo.Health,CDR,and most importantly magic resist.Also,its passive is awesome.It improves both Goes Where He Pleases and Maximum Dosage,as well as the regen from Warmog's Armor.With the removal of Force of Nature,this is absolutely necessary for the magic resist.
:Good item.Massive extra damage against monsters.Additionaly,it gives us TENACITY,which is pretty awesome when combined with Heart Zapper.Don't buy Mercury's Treads if you get this item,it's just not worth it.
:OP.The passive AOE,when combined with Heart Zapper,is just OP.Massive AOE magic damage.It also grants great stats,namely health and armor.Very cheap for it's bonuses IMO.
:This is one of the parts from Randuin's Omen.Always get it first,for the armor and the great passive.It's necessary for its passive because we don't buy Frozen Heart,and the attack speed reduction is just awesome.
:Awesome item.Great stats.It has the passive from Warden's Mail and an amazing active.Massive AOE slow,and overall,an essential item.
:Upgrades from Aegis of the Legion.It offers 60 magic resist to us(it's the item that gives the most magic resist in the game now,with the removal of Force of Nature).Well,you might be asking:"But runic bulwark gives us 30 magic resist!".True,but it's aura also gives 30 magic resist,so we have 60.It also benefits our team greatly.I normally leave Runic Bulwark for the supports,in order to get more items that benefit Dr. Mundo
:Great boots as well if they have too much CC that you can't deal with just by using Heart Zapper and Tenacious .Also offers us magic resist,pretty nice if the enemy AP is fed.
:Good boots if you want better ganks.I don't believe they are needed though,i would go with defensive boots instead.
:Yes,it's a weird choice,but it works wonders for Dr. Mundo if you want to be a bit more agressive.The magic pen will greatly benefit our Infected Bonesaw and
Heart Zapper.It also gives some health and a great passive(as well as a bit of AP,but that's trash due to the poor AP scaling from Heart Zapper).
zeke's herald:This a very underused,but great item.It offers everything we need.Health,CDR,attack speed and lifesteal to benefit Blunt Force Trauma,as well as a nice aura to benefit our team,especially bruisers and ad carrys.
:Another agressive option.If you wanna buy it,make sure to get Avarice Blade early in order to generate more gold.Atma's itself is a great item.It offers armor and crit chance(improving Blunt Force Trauma) as well as a great amount of AD,since we buy a lot of health.
:Attack speed and magic resist,great.Also,a nice passive so we can deal a lot of damage through basic attacks,as well as getting more tanky in the heat of battle.
:Another agressive option(xD).Some damage and decent health,as well as an amazing passive so we can easily stick to opponents when combined with our deadly cleavers.Make sure to buy a Phage early in order to have stronger ganks.
:Another weird choice,but it's very good.Some arPen,CDR as well as some crit chance,AD and a nice active.It's an item that you should buy if you want to deal tons of damage with Blunt Force Trauma.
:Some AD,magic resist,a nice shield and more importantly,a great passive that synergises extremely well with Blunt Force Trauma,so we can have tons of AD at low health.
:This is an item for the magic pen Dr. Mundo.It is very good when combined with your Liandry's Anguish.It also offers some decent health and some AP(which is not very good btw).
:Another item for the MPen build.It offers some AP and magic resist,but essentially it offers its awesome magic resist reduction aura so we can deal massive AOE magic damage when combined with Heart Zapper and Sunfire Aegis.
:MPen build again.Great stats,namely:Extra damage against monsters,health regen,spell vamp,as well as a bit of AP.
:This can be used in both mpen and tank builds if you want to increase the power of your deadly cleavers or Heart Zapper.
:If you are facing the enemy jungler a lot or having difficulties in the jungle, Doran's Shield is a superb choice for its good stats.
:This is a great item for Dr. Mundo,since it offers a handful amount of magic resist and a powerful active that removes Ignite or any sort of Grievous Wounds.
:This is an upgrade from Quicksilver Sash that grants us additional AD,as well as a new part of the active that increases your movespeed by 50% for 2 secnods.If you have 400 movespeed,you will be at 600 for 2 seconds.
:I buy this enchantment most of the time.Movespeed is awesome on Dr. Mundo.
:If you are often leading the charge or want to split push.However,i feel that this fits more for a support.
:Get this enchantment if you want massive chasing power with your cleavers.Combine this with frozen mallet and no one,NO ONE will be able to get away from you(maybe Kassadin or Singed,but deal with it,they are annoying as hell.)
- Start at Ancient golem and ask for a strong leash.Don't use Smite.
- Take Blunt Force Trauma and go to the enemy's Elder lizard .Use smite to finish it.If possible,leave 1 small lizard.
- Now,you can gank or go back to your jungle and do Wolves>Wraiths>Double Golems.Keep doing this until you find a gank opportunity.Once your red buff expires,take your own elder lizard .
Early gank route
- Start at Wraiths and use Heart Zapper to destroy them.
- Go to the Elder Lizard and ask for some help from your teammates.Use Smite to finish it.
- Take Infected Bonesaw and look for a gank.
- After this,recall if you are at low health.If not,do Wolves>Wraiths>Double Golems.Recall when necessary.
- Never take Ancient Golem in this route.Give it to your mid.If your mid is someone such as Katarina, Mordekaiser, Kennen, Vladimir,give it to your top laner.
Level 4 gank route
- Start at Wraiths and clear them with Heart Zapper.
- Go to Elder Lizard and ask for some help.Finish it with Smite.
- Take Blunt Force Trauma and go to the Double Golems,using both of your abilities to finish them.
- Wraiths should have respawned.If not,wait a few seconds and clear them with Heart Zapper and Blunt Force Trauma.
- You are lv 3 now.Take a point in Infected Bonesaw and do the Wolves.
- Throw an Infected Bonesaw through the wall to hit the Ancient Golem ,and use Heart Zapper and Blunt Force Trauma to weaken him before killing him with Smite.
- Of course,always have a Health Potion running.
- The most basic type of top lane gank is the bush gank.Go through the river into the bush.Wait until the best moment and walk in to the lane.Try to predict where the opponent is ganking and lead with Infected Bonesaw.If it hits,keep throwing cleavers when possible,as well as hit opponents with basic attacks in order to slow them due to red buff.If one of you get a kill,good.If not,the opponent probably wasted flash or something.Of course,only do this gank if the enemy laner is pushing.
- Another type of gank is the tribush gank,that you can do when the lane is frozen and you are at the blue side.Go through the purple side jungle into the tribush and do the same thing as above.
- The last type of gank is the lane gank.Ask your laner to push the lane.Then,go through your jungle and your top lane tower into the lane bushes.Do the same thing as above.
- The most basic type of gank here is the bush gank.Go to one of the side bushes and try to use the same tactic as above.
- The other gank is what i call the loop gank.Loop around the side walls and go behind the enemy champion,and use the same tactic for ganking.
- Since the river or the bush is probably warded,your best choice is to do a lane gank(read the top lane section).Use the same strategy.
- Otherwise,ask your support to buy a Vision Ward and destroy the enemy wards so you can do a normal,bush gank.
- The other one is the tribush gank.If you are at the purple side,go through the enemy jungle into the tribush and go behind the enemies.Remember not to walk by the tower or you will take a few hits.You should walk in the direction of the river and go to the lane.If at blue side,do the same thing,and of course,go through your jungle.Remember,in this case,to pop Maximum Dosage if possible,so the speed boost will help catching up to the enemies.
:I use Ignite to give Dr. Mundo more killing potential,and it also works to reduce the healing of champions like Vladimir, Warwick, Sion and even Dr. Mundo himself.
: Ghost is the most important spell for Dr. Mundo because it synergises extremely well with Maximum Dosage,being both an escape and chase mechanism.
: Exhaust is great if you are in a lane you should play defensively,or if your team lacks it.
: Flash isn't that good on Dr. Mundo compared to Ghost if you analyze his kit.Only take this if you like to escape over walls or if going against Jarvan IV.
:Good spell for the top lane,but not very useful on Dr. Mundo.
Any other spell shouldn't be considereed.
- Greater Mark of Magic Penetration:These are the main runes I use when soloing,because they greatly improve my harass with Infected Bonesaw.
- greater mark of armor penetration:These are also good runes if you're focusing on Blunt Force Trauma.
- Greater Seal of Armor:Great runes for more tankiness.
- Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist:My preferred glyphs.They offer some extra magic resist on the late game,where mages and other AP champs get stronger.
- Greater Glyph of Magic Resist:Good runes for solo-top also if you want more early tankiness.
- Greater Glyph of Scaling Cooldown Reduction:I have saw some Dr. Mundo players using these glyphs,but i feel that they're not worth it,since with the supportive tank build you already have 40% cdr.
- Greater Quintessence of Health Regeneration:I use these runes on most of my games as solo-top Dr. Mundo because they synergise extremely well with Goes Where He Pleases and the starting Rejuvenation Beads.
- Greater Quintessence of Health:These are also good choices if you want early tankiness.
- Summoner's Wrath :I use this mastery on all of the solo builds to improve both Ignite and Ghost
- Sorcery:I use this on tank build.3% cooldown reduction for free is amazing.
- Blast :This mastery is actually bad on Dr. Mundo,but we need it to get the next mastery,which is extremely important for improved harass.
- Arcane Knowledge :Great mastery because it improves our harass with Infected Bonesaw,and it also raises up Heart Zapper's damage a bit.
- Fury :I use this on the offtank builds because the attack speed synergises with Blunt Force Trauma.
- Deadliness :I also use this on the offtank builds to make Dr. Mundo stronger late game.
- Weapon Expertise :Another mastery for offtank builds.I will call it the Blunt Force Trauma builds now).ArPen is great for more damage.
- Durability :Great for mid-late game tankiness.
- Veteran's Scars :You get this mastery with 4 points in Durability .30 extra health is pretty good early game,and it's more than a single Greater Quintessence of Health.
- Hardiness :Free armor is always good.
- Resistance :Same as above,but with magic resist.
- Perseverance:This is a good mastery for the offtank vs.AP build because it further boosts Dr. Mundo's sustain.
- Unyielding :Good mastery because it reduces harass from enemy champions.Works wonders when combined with Doran's Shield.
- Block :Very good when combined with Unyielding .
- Tenacious :Tenacity is awesome when combined with Heart Zapper's CC reduction.
- Juggernaut :This is a great mastery since Dr. Mundo naturally stacks health.
- Honor Guard :Amazing mastery so you can tank anyone.
x2 + + sight ward:This is my preferred start for solo-top since it offers great sustain with the beads and potions,as well as safety with the sight ward.
:Also a good start if you're going against a Jayce or Nidalee to negate some damage from basic attacks.
+ x5:Good start if you're against a heavy ad champion such as Riven, Kha'Zix, Vi,etc.
+ x3:You should only use this start if you're going against a champion that relies heavily on skill-shots or aoe,such as Cho'Gath, Lee Sin, Nidalee(ap),etc.
:Boots are necessary for the mobility.
:This is great item for Dr. Mundo early game,due to the decent amount of health and CDR it provides.
:I freaking love this item and it is a great addition for Dr. Mundo.Gives us a decent amount of health for a pretty okay price(1000g) and also builds into Warmog's Armor.
:You should get this in the offtank builds due to the amazing gold provided by it,as well as some crit chance for Blunt Force Trauma.
:These are the boots you should choose when you're going against an AD champ.
:Get these boots if going against an AP champ.You can also get them even if going against an AD,but only if the enemy team has a lot of CC.
:Superb boots if you want to improve your harass.However,i do not recommend them in serious games.
Mid game options
:Core item for Dr. Mundo in any build(except magic pen),and any serious Dr. Mundo build that doesn't use this item should be considered bad.Superb amount of health and amazing health regen make this item a must buy.
:Another core.Health,CDR,Magic resist and more important a benefit to all self healing and regeneration.Seems like an item made for Dr. Mundo.
:Amazing item that synergises extremely well with Heart Zapper,and also offers nice stats.
:Good for offtank builds for the health,damage and nice passive.
Late game options
:This is a great item.An useful active to give your team more teamfight power,some armor,health,CDR and some health regen as well.
Zeke's herald:This is an amazing item for the supportive tank build.It offers great stats for yourself,and a nice aura to improve the potential of AD champs on your team.In the PBE, zeke's herald now grants 20% cdr,so we only need it and Spirit Visage for the cdr cap.
:Also a great item for the massive armor and decent health it provides,but most importantly its passive and a monster active that creates a nice slowing field.
:Upgraded from Aegis of the Legion, Runic Bulwark is the item that provides the most magic resist in game,with the removal of Force of Nature.It also benefits our team due to the nice aura.Better taken by a support IMO.
:Good for offtank due to the health,damage and a passive that makes Dr. Mundo stickier than bubblegum.
:Also good for offtank for the armor and crit chance,but most importantly its passive which grants a handful amount of AD since Dr. Mundo naturally stacks health.
:Another great item.Some cdr,armor penetration,ad,crit chance and a nice active.Item built to triple Blunt Force Trauma's potential.
:Get this item if going against an AP champ because it offers some good magic resist as well as AD,and 2 nice passives:One that creates a life-saving shield and another that grants more AD the lower on health you are,synergising with Blunt Force Trauma very well.You can also get a Hexdrinker earlier if the enemy is creating problems.
:An alternative for Maw of Malmortius if you want a cheaper magic resist item.Due to this passive,it actually makes you more tanky,however Maw of Malmortius is more effective for fighting.
- Early on,focus on farming and harassing your opponent with Infected Bonesaw.You can also use cleavers to last-hit from a distance.
- If your opponent goes to a bush,do not hesitate to use Infected Bonesaw.Maybe you can do some damage to him.
- You can also use Heart Zapper to farm,but you must manage your health.
- If your opponent goes agressive on you,toggle Heart Zapper and Blunt Force Trauma to give you the upper edge.You can use Exhaust also,which may help you to get a kill.
- If you get ganked,pop Maximum Dosage or Ghost and Heart Zapper(to reduce CC) and be free.
- Post 6,you can easily sustain yourself in lane with Maximum Dosage due to its low cooldown,especially once you buy Kindlegem.
- Remember to buy a ward(always) and a few potions(if possible) everytime you go base,to improve your safety and sustain.
- Try to push the lane a bit,and if possible,destroy the turret.
- You can also gank the mid lane once top lane is pushed.
- Once everyone is level 10-11,the first team fights should be ocurring,that's why you should have your Aegis of the Legion to make your team more powerful.
- Do dragon when possible to give your team the upper advantage.You can easily tank it.
- Before the teamfight erupts,you should try to poke with Infected Bonesaw as much as possible in order to rack up some damage.Do not select targets,just throw cleavers like mad.
- Once the actual teamfight occurs,pop Heart Zapper and go to the middle of the enemy team.After you take a bit of damage,pop Maximum Dosage in order to start regenerating. Exhaust the enemy carry in order to negate his damage.Dish out as much damage as possible with your 3 basic abilities.
- Now that you have a lot of health,armor and magic resist,rush to the middle of the enemy team and pop everything.You will take little to no damage,and if you take a lot,you will regenerate it(unless they use Ignite on you).Remember to always Exhaust the enemy carry.
- Call your team to do Baron Nashor .Tank it.If you are at half health or less,use Maximum Dosage and tank it,no problem.With the buff,your team should be superior and maybe victorious.
- If the enemy team get the baron buff,just try to defend your base until the buff expires.Try to not engage in team fights,unless your team is fed.
- Don't forget about your items! Randuin's Omen is amazing on teamfights,and Locket of the Iron Solari is also useful if you buy it(even though it gets weaker late game).
: Goes Where He Pleases is mainly used for early sustain in lane,but late game it's still powerful with your large amounts of health.
:This is mainly used for ranged harass in lane,and it will hurt a lot due to your Greater Mark of Magic Penetration.This is also good for farming,especially if you're in trouble.You can also use it to check bushes,etc.,and late game it's a powerful poke.Max it first for better harass.
:This should normally only be toggled on when you're fighting the opposing top laner.Be careful when using it to farm,since it will take a lot of your health early on.Max it second to improve the damage and the CC reduction to help when you're being ganked.You can also max it last if the opposing team is weak in terms of CC.
:This is good for improving your last hit capabilities,and of course,fighting the opponent.This gets especially strong if you use the offtank builds.Max it last because our other skills are more important.In the offtank builds however,max it first.
- :This is an amazing sustain tool in lane.It's also good for escaping or chasing due to the movespeed boost,especially if you combine it with Ghost.In skirmishes, Maximum Dosage may give you a upper hand,but be careful,as Ignite basically nullifies Maximum Dosage potential if you only have 1 point on it.Max it whenever possible.
That's it folks.I hope you liked my guide :D.